Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 04-05-2015, 10:05 AM   #1
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
Swiss Meringue Buttercream using Xylitol

This is a recipe from domestifluff. Just made it and it's really great. Here's my tips...............Times for each task is pretty darn close. I didn't have mine curdle until after I had added all the butter (homemade using heavy cream), then I just beat the heck out of it and it came together. 1/2 recipe yields about 1 1/2 cups. Used my regular mixer blades the whole time. Using eggs out of the fridge, it took about 6 mins. for my xylitol to no longer feel crystal over "simmering water". Saw Skeeter remark in another thread that she had made this and liked it also.

Ingredients

4 egg whites, at room temperature
1 cup xylitol (or sugar)
10 ounces (2 ½ sticks) of butter, cubed and at room temperature
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Instructions

1. Add egg whites and xylitol to the bowl of your mixer and place over a pan of boiling water. Lightly whisk the mixture constantly (no need to whip yet) until the xylitol is completely dissolved, about 7-10 minutes.

2. Remove from heat and move the bowl to your stand mixer (you can use also use a hand mixer). Using the whip attachment, whip the eggs and xylitol on medium until a stiff peaked meringue is formed and the mixture is completely cool. Your mixing bowl should be completely cool to the touch before you go to the next step.

3. Switch out the mixer’s whisk attachment with the beater attachment, and start to beat on low speed. Slowly add the softened butter, one piece at a time, and wait until the current piece is completely incorporated before adding the next piece. At some point in the process, the buttercream may start to appear somewhat curdled, but it will eventually come back together, so please don’t fret and think that you have to start over. Just keep adding that butter!

4. Add the vanilla (or your flavoring of choice) and continue to beat until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Frost cakes, cupcakes, etc. immediately, or store in the refrigerator to use at a later time. If you chill the buttercream, be sure to allow enough time for it to come to room temperature before you use it to frost anything.
JJJ'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2015, 01:02 PM   #2
snowangel9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Thanks for posting this! Icing is the one thing that's harder to make low carb. No powdered sugar!

..stop thinking of it as "starting over". It's life, we don't get do-overs. You can only move forward from this point. ~~ pepperanne
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 02:39 PM   #3
Mistizoom
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/230/190 initial goal
WOE: attemping the Perfect Health Diet
Start Date: low carb - 11/2012, PHD - 2/2017
Thanks, sounds good, I've been looking for a non-cream cheese icing for DS.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:34 PM   #4
Tweaker Geek
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
How about powdering the xylitol in a coffee grinder and adding to the egg whites, wouldn't it dissolve easier and faster? I'd really like to try a low carb swiss meringue buttercream, this one seems easy enough. I may have seen Skeeter's comment too but still haven't tried it. Out of curiosity, what did you use it on?

2015--Recipe for Success: Plan! Certainty of Success: Follow Plan!
Note to self: Ya gotta stick with the plan!!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 04:43 PM   #5
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Having never even made a regular buttercream, "I guess" that you could powder the xylitol. Haven't put it on anything yet, plans are to make Rosethorns choc. mayo cake into cupcakes later this evening.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:55 PM   #6
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/217/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/NK
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I haven't made this recipe, but I always powder xylitol and erythinol before I use them. No crystals.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:07 PM   #7
rosethorns
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ'sMom View Post
This is a recipe from domestifluff. Just made it and it's really great. Here's my tips...............Times for each task is pretty darn close. I didn't have mine curdle until after I had added all the butter (homemade using heavy cream), then I just beat the heck out of it and it came together. 1/2 recipe yields about 1 1/2 cups. Used my regular mixer blades the whole time. Using eggs out of the fridge, it took about 6 mins. for my xylitol to no longer feel crystal over "simmering water". Saw Skeeter remark in another thread that she had made this and liked it also.

Ingredients

4 egg whites, at room temperature
1 cup xylitol (or sugar)
10 ounces (2 ½ sticks) of butter, cubed and at room temperature
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Instructions

1. Add egg whites and xylitol to the bowl of your mixer and place over a pan of boiling water. Lightly whisk the mixture constantly (no need to whip yet) until the xylitol is completely dissolved, about 7-10 minutes.

2. Remove from heat and move the bowl to your stand mixer (you can use also use a hand mixer). Using the whip attachment, whip the eggs and xylitol on medium until a stiff peaked meringue is formed and the mixture is completely cool. Your mixing bowl should be completely cool to the touch before you go to the next step.

3. Switch out the mixer’s whisk attachment with the beater attachment, and start to beat on low speed. Slowly add the softened butter, one piece at a time, and wait until the current piece is completely incorporated before adding the next piece. At some point in the process, the buttercream may start to appear somewhat curdled, but it will eventually come back together, so please don’t fret and think that you have to start over. Just keep adding that butter!

4. Add the vanilla (or your flavoring of choice) and continue to beat until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Frost cakes, cupcakes, etc. immediately, or store in the refrigerator to use at a later time. If you chill the buttercream, be sure to allow enough time for it to come to room temperature before you use it to frost anything.
This sounds amazing!!!!! I can't wait to try this. I made the GF Chocolate Mayo Pound cake , it's in the fridge. I used organic oat flour. I think I will make this.

You did a marvelous job JJJ's mom!!!!I Love your detailed instructions. Thanks!!

May we all live our life as long as we want!

Last edited by rosethorns; 04-05-2015 at 05:11 PM..
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:52 PM   #8
Tweaker Geek
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Gina - I have started powdering those two recently also. They do blend much better and, as you said, no crystals.

Esther - Did you make this for your cake? I haven't made the chocolate mayo cake in a long time, I've been thinking of either that or black bean cake. When I do get around to it I'll try to remember to make this icing.

2015--Recipe for Success: Plan! Certainty of Success: Follow Plan!
Note to self: Ya gotta stick with the plan!!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:18 PM   #9
susieqrn
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susieqrn
Stats: 221/181/130
WOE: moderate low carb JUDD
Start Date: January 2016
Do you still get the cooling effect from the xylitol or erythritol in this buttercream? I've made many Swiss meringue buttercreams, but have never tried a low carb one. I have a small cupcake business and would love to add a low carb line.
susieqrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 02:26 PM   #10
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

No cooling effect at all using the xylitol.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:18 PM   #11
susieqrn
Senior LCF Member

Great! I'm going to give this one a try. Maybe even a caramel or brown sugar Swiss meringue with brown sugar Truvia! I'll post the recipe if it's good.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:13 PM   #12
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Ah Susie, so sub all of the xylitol w/ the br. sugar Truvia? Hmm, hadn't tht about that. Pls do report bk if you use the br. sugar Truvia.

Just an fyi...........not being a swiss meringue buttercream frosting maker in the past, all regular recipes for this type of frosting call for granulated sugar. And the first step is heating until the sugar dissolves. Not so sure that a "powdered" sugar would give the same result. Any info here Susie, since you've made many Swiss buttercream frostings?
Old 04-13-2015, 07:19 AM   #13
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT + Fast Five
Start Date: June 2012
Esther, I had some fuzzy memory that maybe you were dairy-free?
Do you think I could use coconut oil in place of the butter, then add a few drops of butter flavoring?

Thank you!
Old 04-13-2015, 08:07 AM   #14
rosethorns
Blabbermouth!!!

Judy yes you can do it that way. Tell me how it works out.I use coconut oil most of the time, but I wanted to really love this so I used Kerrygold.

I used Kerry gold grass fed butter to make this. AWESOME!!!!!! The best!!
THANKS JJJ's MOM yum.

I also made buttercream candies from Low Carb Yum which were amazing!!I used kerrygold butter and organic cream cheese, and Swerve confectionary.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:15 AM   #15
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Thank you so much - I'll let you know!
Old 04-13-2015, 12:49 PM   #16
rosethorns
Blabbermouth!!!

Please do. I really want to know about the coconut oil. Because I use it in making yogurt , cookies, cake almost everything.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:59 PM   #17
SkeeterN
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/120 (menopause stinks)
Start Date: April 2004
I have made this and it is amazing
Anita's Web Page
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:08 PM   #18
susieqrn
Senior LCF Member

I've never tried the coconut oil - not sure how that would turn out. However, the powdered sugar would not work. It is very different from regular buttercream frosting.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:39 AM   #19
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Hmm, coconut oil. Now that would be interesting. Mine is certainly harder at room temp than butter. I actually have the unrefined coconut oil, and don't care for the taste of coconut in anything you use it with but it lasts forever and I do use it when possible.

I'll certainly have to try this swiss buttercream w/ the coconut oil and report bk.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:46 AM   #20
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh good - I fear it will be some time before I'll get around to it. Thanks!
Old 04-15-2015, 04:18 PM   #21
susieqrn
Senior LCF Member

JJJ's mom - please do try and report back. I'm very interested in knowing how it turns out. I know the Paleo dessert book uses coconut oil in their buttercream, but it is regular buttercream.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:09 AM   #22
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
Making cupcakes this weekend. I've discovered "cooked" buttercream and I don't think I ever want to go back to American buttercream, carb or low carb, doesn't matter! SF cooked (Swiss, German, Italian) tastes JUST as good as high carb. I have a homemade baking blend that's a combination of xylitol, erythritol, stevia and inulin, so absolutely no crystals or cooling effect.

Any recipes or tips for chocolate?
EnglishLit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:39 AM   #23
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
Would you please post your recipe? Is it the one from JJJ's Mom?
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:29 PM   #24
SkeeterN
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/120 (menopause stinks)
Start Date: April 2004
this stuff is great
Anita's Web Page
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:28 AM   #25
rosethorns
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishLit View Post
Making cupcakes this weekend. I've discovered "cooked" buttercream and I don't think I ever want to go back to American buttercream, carb or low carb, doesn't matter! SF cooked (Swiss, German, Italian) tastes JUST as good as high carb. I have a homemade baking blend that's a combination of xylitol, erythritol, stevia and inulin, so absolutely no crystals or cooling effect.

Any recipes or tips for chocolate?
would you please post your recipe????

Old 10-04-2015, 09:10 AM   #26
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

I've made two recipes and both came out excellent.

The first time I used the Serious Eats German Buttercream recipe (you can google for it) and substituted the 1 tsp of cornstarch for 2 tsp of resistant starch.

The second time I used a recipe using egg whites. Not sure how I feel about this one. It was good, but it didn't have that thickness and creaminess that I look for in frosting, it seemed a little too "whipped". I think that I just need to play around with the ratios a bit more.

I found this recipe at Pinoyinoz and adapted it:

3 egg whites, room temperature
1 1/2 cups xylitol or preferred sweetener
1 cup unsalted butter, very soft
1/2 cup palm shortening
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla butter bakery emulsion

In a large, clean heatproof bowl, combine the egg whites and sweetener. Set the bowl over (but not touching) simmering water in a saucepan and heat the mixture, whisking constantly, until the sweetener has completely dissolved and the mixture is very warm to the touch. Remove the bowl from the saucepan.

Using an electric mixer on high speed, beat the egg white mixture until it is fluffy, cooled to room temperature, and holds stiff peaks.

With the mixer on medium-low speed, add the butter and the shortening, about a tablespoon at a time. Beat on high speed until it is smooth and creamy. Add salt and extract and beat until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.

I will say that if you have a trusted recipe site that has a French, German, Italian or Swiss buttercream recipe, GO FOR IT and try it! Just sub out the sugar for your own preferred sweetener. The technique is what matters with cooked frosting, and you don't have to use pounds of sugar like with American buttercream, so any kind of aftertaste or cooling affect is less of an issue.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:30 AM   #27
smasty
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: smasty
WOE: NK
Quote:
.... I have a homemade baking blend that's a combination of xylitol, erythritol, stevia and inulin, so absolutely no crystals or cooling effect.
Would you share your baking blend ratios?

Thanks!
Sue
smasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:44 AM   #28
rosethorns
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I've made two recipes and both came out excellent.

The first time I used the Serious Eats German Buttercream recipe (you can google for it) and substituted the 1 tsp of cornstarch for 2 tsp of resistant starch.

The second time I used a recipe using egg whites. Not sure how I feel about this one. It was good, but it didn't have that thickness and creaminess that I look for in frosting, it seemed a little too "whipped". I think that I just need to play around with the ratios a bit more.

I found this recipe at Pinoyinoz and adapted it:

3 egg whites, room temperature
1 1/2 cups xylitol or preferred sweetener
1 cup unsalted butter, very soft
1/2 cup palm shortening
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla butter bakery emulsion

In a large, clean heatproof bowl, combine the egg whites and sweetener. Set the bowl over (but not touching) simmering water in a saucepan and heat the mixture, whisking constantly, until the sweetener has completely dissolved and the mixture is very warm to the touch. Remove the bowl from the saucepan.

Using an electric mixer on high speed, beat the egg white mixture until it is fluffy, cooled to room temperature, and holds stiff peaks.

With the mixer on medium-low speed, add the butter and the shortening, about a tablespoon at a time. Beat on high speed until it is smooth and creamy. Add salt and extract and beat until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.

I will say that if you have a trusted recipe site that has a French, German, Italian or Swiss buttercream recipe, GO FOR IT and try it! Just sub out the sugar for your own preferred sweetener. The technique is what matters with cooked frosting, and you don't have to use pounds of sugar like with American buttercream, so any kind of aftertaste or cooling affect is less of an issue.
Thank you so much!! I agree!

Old 10-04-2015, 09:48 AM   #29
susieqrn
Senior LCF Member

So, I never did get around to trying this with Truvia brown. Of course, now I can't find it anywhere and have to wait for my next Netrition order. I have Sukrin Gold, but not sure if I'd like to do a combo of Truvia and Sukrin Gold since you only use half the amount of Truvia as regular brown sugar.
I will definitely try it as soon as I order the Truvia.
I'm going to try a chocolate version to go on my chocolate zucchini cupcakes when I'm off again on Thursday, EngLit and I'll let you know how that turns out.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:16 PM   #30
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smasty View Post
Would you share your baking blend ratios?

Thanks!
Sue

1 cup erythritol
2 cups xylitol
1 cup Just Like Sugar (Chicory Root/Inulin)
1/4 tsp stevia powder (I use SweetLeaf organic powdered extract. It has the sweetness of approximately one cup)

I blend this all together not quite to powder sugar, but xylitol and erythritol tend to have large crystals, so blending it makes them dissolve easier in baked goods.

For confectioner's sugar, simply add 2 teaspoons of resistant starch per 1 cup of sweetener and blend in blender until powdery.

For my brown sugar blend:

1 cup Lakanto Brown Sugar (this is monkfruit and erythritol, but plain erythritol works well too)
2 cups xylitol
1 cup Just Like Sugar
1/4 tsp stevia powder
1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses
2 tsp maple flavoring (optional)

In a blender, combine erythritol, xylitol, JLS and stevia powder. Add molasses and maple flavoring and mix with fork until well combined. Store in your preferred container.