Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 05-24-2015, 01:55 PM   #241
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
GloFry1, I think everyone is different. But I have lost weight using this product. I have no digestive issues with it, nor has anyone I've served cookies or desserts made with it. My only complaint about the product is that it's expensive.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2015, 04:06 PM   #242
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
Carbalose flour or Carbquik are great products. Carbuik being a take off of Bisquick. But most of us find that a combo of items makes for the best flr or product. Most don't care for a biscuit made w/ just carbquik but you need to include other things. Lots of recipes here and more importantly, lots of cooking wisdom on using the products. Make sure to read it all, to start to get an understanding of lc ingredients. Go to Netrition and read the ingredient label for the carbalose flour. And if you don't know what an ingredient it, google it. You'll start learning a lot about low carb.
JJJ'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:37 AM   #243
GloFry1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GloFry1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
GloFry1, I think everyone is different. But I have lost weight using this product. I have no digestive issues with it, nor has anyone I've served cookies or desserts made with it. My only complaint about the product is that it's expensive.
Soobee, Thank you so much. I really don't have any digestive issues, just very sensitive to the amount of carbs I take in. Definitely will give it at try. Thank you.
GloFry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:41 AM   #244
GloFry1
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ'sMom View Post
Carbalose flour or Carbquik are great products. Carbuik being a take off of Bisquick. But most of us find that a combo of items makes for the best flr or product. Most don't care for a biscuit made w/ just carbquik but you need to include other things. Lots of recipes here and more importantly, lots of cooking wisdom on using the products. Make sure to read it all, to start to get an understanding of lc ingredients. Go to Netrition and read the ingredient label for the carbalose flour. And if you don't know what an ingredient it, google it. You'll start learning a lot about low carb.
Thank you for your insights and wealth of knowledge about lc cooking. I will definitely order the Carbquik. Can you recommend a few recipes that would be good for a beginner. My DH has type 2 diabetes and want to make things that I'm hoping he will enjoy as well.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:40 AM   #245
GloFry1
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonbon41 View Post
Judy, I bought the 1kg because I wasn't sure how my tummy would react. I was shocked to see that's it's only about 1.5 - 2 cups of liquid! I weighed it to be certain and it weighed 1kg.

I'm thinking of trying Aunt Ruth's pecan cake and subbing in the vitafiber for the polyD. It's likely going to use up my whole supply!
I noticed that you mentioned using Vitrafiber place of the PolyD. Can the PolyD be used in the same manner/quantities as Vitafiber? Since VitaFiber cannot be purchased directly from the company any more, it is quite expensive. Advice?

Last edited by GloFry1; 05-26-2015 at 08:43 AM..
Old 05-26-2015, 10:45 AM   #246
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Go to this link, scroll down and you'll see a carbquik thread
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?f=61

or the area that we're in now, look for the thread Best Carbquk Pound Cake, I posted a pic the other day.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:39 PM   #247
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Glofry, vitafiber isn't anymore expensive at Amazon than it was when sold by the company. Or you can also buy it at the same price fr Netrition.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:41 AM   #248
lcmiller461
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lcmiller461
Stats: 160/135/125
WOE: Atkins, etc.
Wow, it's expensive! It must be worth it, though, from what you guys are saying!
Old 06-01-2015, 01:47 PM   #249
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

The bottle though is fairly large, weighs 2.64 lbs , about 5-6 cups I would say. Some recipes do use it in fairly lg quanites--1 1/2 c. So far I've only tried the ones using it in tablespoons. It certainly will come into use as a corn syrup replacement.

FYI..........the lace cookies that I posted on 4/21, well just found the last one in a Ziploc bag so I had to see if it was still good...........lost some crispness (not a lot) so I put it bk in the oven for 1 min and it crisped right bk up...............isn't this good info to know, we can make this cookie 5 wks ahead of time and only need to crisp it bk up.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:04 AM   #250
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Very good to know, JJJ'sMom. Thanks.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:40 PM   #251
lcmiller461
Senior LCF Member

Yes, thanks!
Old 06-09-2015, 10:39 AM   #252
lcmiller461
Senior LCF Member

I got my syrup and finally tried it today. I made the two ingredient cookie, but after tasting the dough i added 2 packets of splenda and a generous sprinkle of cinnamon. I watched MacroMitch's video, so no melting, just blended everything together. (2 T syrup, 1/4 c protein powder, plus extras) and it made two good sized cookies. I baked it at 350 and ended up baking it for 10 minutes, but I'm not sure my oven was warmed up completely when I put them in. The texture was a little chewy from the PP I think, and stuck to my teeth when eating, but the outer part was just perfect, lightly crispy and the edges a little firmer. After the second bite I didn't mind the extra chewiness and ate both cookies! lol. Unfortunately the syrup still has carbs so all together I had a net of 7 carbs. Not bad for 2 cookies so full of protein. I will be experimenting a lot more with these.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:14 AM   #253
judytab
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
lcmiller, I would recommend to you the recipe for chocolate chip cookies by Soobee on post #140. They are really delicious, crispy on the outside and moist and chewy on the inside. I make it with chopped pecans instead of almonds. I also have tried it adding a couple of Tbs of unflavored protein powder with the almond flour and they are great.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:45 AM   #254
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bonbon41
WOE: Low carb cake plan!
Start Date: 2001
Subbed VF for honey in nut butter buns

This worked great! It was a Paleo recipe for 6 buns using either cashew or almond butter that called for 1/4 cup honey. I subbed VF liquid. The buns were yummy, soft inside, very sturdy and developed a nice crust.

I thought I'd report on this in case anyone wanted to try VF for this application. My love for VF continues to grow
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (77.9 KB, 63 views)
Bonbon41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:20 PM   #255
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The rolls look fabulous.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:30 PM   #256
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: OMAD
I've been adding VF to my fabulous flour mix. just a great addition! I add it with the liquids , so for a 1/4 cup of FF mix, 2 TBS VF and then some davinci's and nuke. very moist cake.
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:50 PM   #257
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
I've been adding VF to my fabulous flour mix. just a great addition! I add it with the liquids , so for a 1/4 cup of FF mix, 2 TBS VF and then some davinci's and nuke. very moist cake.
Thanks for this Ouizoid - I just made a big batch of your fab flour mix up this weekend - look forward to trying this out!
Old 07-07-2015, 08:07 AM   #258
grneyedldy
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: grneyedldy
Stats: 180/134/120
WOE: NK
Start Date: 9/2/2013
Does anyone have a good brownie recipe using vitafiber?
Old 07-16-2015, 07:29 PM   #259
grneyedldy
Major LCF Poster!

Bueller?
Old 07-17-2015, 05:05 AM   #260
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I don't have any in my files. Some people have substituted Vitafiber 1 for 1 with polydextrose. Perhaps you could try a polydextrose recipe?
Old 07-17-2015, 05:21 AM   #261
grneyedldy
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
I don't have any in my files. Some people have substituted Vitafiber 1 for 1 with polydextrose. Perhaps you could try a polydextrose recipe?
Thanks Soobee, I'll check out those recipes.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:13 AM   #262
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

I wish I had something for you green eyes. I've made a couple VF brownie attempts and they were big flops but that was during my egg free baking phase I think. Grain free sugar free egg free baking = massive disaster! Thankfully eggs and I are good again. I will likely try brownies again once fall comes. Let us know if you have a go! Good luck
Old 07-26-2015, 12:11 PM   #263
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Vitafiber Frosting--

Who has done this? I was making a bowl of ff/lc frosting mix (carbcounters--sold here by netrition) and I read the back to see the ingredients--I saw to my delight it was mostly just powdered vitafiber and powdered eggwhites and sweetener, powdered vanilla and creme of tartar. And according to the package, it keeps for weeks and can also be frozen!

We should totally try and make this!!
Old 07-26-2015, 02:28 PM   #264
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Ouizoid, Soobee came up with a 7 minute frosting a while back - I tried it and really liked it! It used the powder - I'm not sure if you have that. There is a pic posted with the recipe on page 3, post #110. I'm not sure if this is the kind of thing you are thinking about making. If I recall it did freeze well and it tasted super yummy! All hail Vitafiber!
Old 07-26-2015, 03:57 PM   #265
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

oh yes--the one she did over the double boiler

This packet was nothing but VF powder, powdered eggwhites, AS, and cream of tartar. add water and beat. I may try to duplicate--
Old 07-26-2015, 04:15 PM   #266
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Oh wow - that would be like a miracle frosting if it tasted good. Good investigative work there Ouizoid. Love to hear if you do give it a shot.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:45 PM   #267
Callieco
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Callieco
Start Date: 020110
I just made 'almond joy' bites using vitafiber and oh my gosh they were so much like the real thing. The only difference was I used a dark chocolate coating.

I mixed 1/2 cup coconut that I had previously sweetened and added 1 tbl of vitafiber and 1 tbl of coconut oil. Also added a couple of drops of liquid splenda to get the mix as sweet as I wanted it.

Shaped them into bite sized pieces and pushed an almond into the top. Set them in the freezer until set up enough to dip. Melted 1/2 bar of Lily's dark chocolate with a teaspoon of coconut oil and then dipped the pieces bottoms first and then spooned chocolate over the tops. Let the chocolate set up and yum..so good.
Callieco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:15 PM   #268
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

That sounds delicious! Very creative.

I imagine a similar method could be used for a chocolate covered peanut butter drop. My mind is spinning out on different candies but I have to stop here because it's a fast day for me and I'm getting too hungry!

Enjoy your yummies
Old 07-28-2015, 01:49 AM   #269
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I love almond joy bars. I have made several different kinds. They were all delicious, but none had that sticky chewy texture of the original. I'm so glad you figured it out.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:33 PM   #270
dldickins
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dldickins
Stats: 309/277/125
WOE: HFLC, NK July 2014
Start Date: May 28, 2011. Restarted Jan 27, 2016
Hot Fudge Sauce

I just made a batch of hot fudge sauce using my homemade vitafiber and it's wonderful! This is my first time using Sukrin Gold and I love it. It smells almost like real brown sugar.

Hot Fudge Sauce
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup milk (I used Carbmaster LC 2% milk)
1/2 cup brown sugar (I used 1/4 cup Sukrin Gold, 3 drops Sweetzfree, 12 drops Nunaturals liquid stevia and 1/2 pkt Sweet One)
2 tablespoons Vitafiber
2 tablespoons butter, salted
1/4 teaspoon instant espresso, optional
1/16 teaspoon salt (add only if using unsalted butter)

3 ounces unsweetened chocolate ( I used 90% Lindt), broken into small pieces
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Place the cream, milk, all sweeteners, butter, espresso powder and salt (if using) in a heavy medium saucepan and heat over medium heat until the sweeteners are dissolved and butter has melted. Bring to a boil, then boil for approx. 5 minutes, stirring continuously, until thick and smooth.

Remove from heat and add chocolate. Stir until completely melted then add vanilla. Stir until blended and sauce is smooth. Let cool slightly then pour over ice cream.

Enjoy!
dldickins is offline   Reply With Quote