Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 03-08-2015, 04:38 PM   #181
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bonbon41
WOE: Low carb cake plan!
Start Date: 2001
Those look amazing!
Bonbon41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2015, 09:24 AM   #182
PaminKY
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PaminKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Where did you get your information that Vitafiber is really just maltodextrin? I could not find it in the articles that I read, but I admit I have no particular scientific ability. Everything I have read about Vitafiber is positive, and that has certainly been the case with my experiences thus far. But if it is detrimental, I would certainly like to read about what is being said.
I just ran upon this article this morning.

http://freshluke.blogspot.com/2014/0...sugar.html?m=1
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:41 AM   #183
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Great article. Thanks.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:38 AM   #184
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/110/100-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
The site Me and My Diabetes had an interview with one of the Quest people about this (audio and transcription available): High-fiber foods and blood sugar – Quest Protein Bar Interview

Quote:
The diabetic community, I think , has gravitated to our products, simply because we don’t really use any sugar, maltodextrin, that kind of thing.
However, the interview doesn't give a lot of confidence that the spokesman/founder has a level of expertise in this area (so, I don't know if he's expressing a correct nuance that IMO is not maltodextrin or if it's effectively a meaningless distinction).

Nonetheless, it's a useful reminder that nutrition fact labels might reflect belief but in the absence of adequate testing - it's not possible to know. And, it makes me think that it would be prohibitively expensive for small firms to do appropriate product development for products that make claims like this (I never liked some of the claims made about GI/GL because some of the test groups on which a GI level was established were tiny in number and restricted in their demographics). I've no idea what the answer is other than to caveat such claims. What doesn't help is the number of food/fitness bloggers who claim that IMO is 90% fibre but they're using the syrup rather than the powder in their recipes, and it's the powder that's 90% whereas the syrup is approx. 70%.

There seems to be considerable variability in which some people find to be digestible carbs. Bioneutra reflects this in their FAQ:
Quote:
The suggested caloric value of VitaFiber™-IMO is 1.5-2.0 kcal/g which is based upon the published studies that all of the poorly-digestible oligosaccharides that are largely or completely fermented in the colon, be given a caloric value of 1.5 (6.3) kcal/g (kJ/g). Health Canada approved 2-4 kcal/g for BioNeutra's IMO.
My DH likes the food I make with this so I'll probably use up my current supplies but think long and hard before I agree to spend the money to replace it when I run out.

Mar. 2017 Rehabbing a foot and concussion. I currently have a lot of physiotherapy. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 02:00 PM   #185
PaminKY
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PaminKY
Shortly after I read the article I linked to above I received an email from Bioneutra informing me that Vitafiber was now available on Amazon so I decided to email them back asking about it.

Here was my email:
I just recently purchased some of your product but was dismayed to read the following article this morning.

Is this true? I purchased the Vitafiber to use in recipes I make for my newly diagnosed Type 2 diabetic husband but now I'm not so sure it was a wise purchase

Here was the response from Monica, Customer Service Manager:

Hello Pamela,

I understand your concern. Something to bear in mind is that when you are talking about a finished product it will contain other ingredients which you have to take into account when counting the macros. Now, I cannot speak for Quest.

As for VitaFiber, BioNeutra does not make claims of Vitafiber being diabetic friendly, this is because we haven’t done the blood sugar clinical trials yet. That is something we are working on right now only for the IMO not for the quest bars. When we have the data we will be able to assert if this product can be labelled as something for diabetics. On the note of the article, there are a few problems with it. First of all IMO is not indigestible, all the scientific literature clearly points out that Imo is digestion-resistant meaning not all of it would be digested, but a certain percentage will be digestible meaning some units of glucose will come loose and get processed but not as fast as straight up glucose like regular sugar, that is why we do not claim our product to be calorie free.

I know there is information on the web but I would take it with a grain of salt.

If you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact me anytime. I would be glad to further discuss with you.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 03:30 PM   #186
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Very interesting... Thanks for sharing this! Sounds like Quest's low carb claims are based on very little. Very interested to hear the result of the clinical trials Bioneutra are doing.

I've been testing quest bars with my ketonix. I decided to do this as I find the things I make with VF very, very moreish - didn't know whether this is because they are so darn tasty or because I'm having a glycemic response. Usually, I respond this way to carby things and I don't respond this way to even very yummy low carb treats. For two weeks I've been eating the exact same food every day. For one week I included a Q bar daily and for the second week I kept everything the same minus the Q bar. For the week I included the bar daily, my ketonix blinked green 2 or green 3 (approx .5 a .8 mmol/l blood ketone) every day. The second week (same food minus the bar) I registered either green 8 or green 9 every day for the week (approx 2.3-2.6 mmol/l). A pretty significant difference.

So will I give up my beloved VF? No way man! However, I sure will be a little more careful with how often and how much I use it. I think there is bound to be more sugar in there than Quest is claiming.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:24 AM   #187
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I tried my Ketonix after reading about your experiences, Bonbon41. Mine is the older version, so I don't have numbers. But I ate an entire recipe of ice cream (burp) which contains 1/4 cup of Vitafiber, the highest amount I use in a recipe, except for pecan pie. And my Ketonix was yellow, which is pretty good. I always use Vitafiber with fat, and that may mitigate its ill effects.
I have not noticed any hunger pangs or weight gain. In fact, I am wondering if, for me, Vitafiber might be a weight loss help. At least, I am slowly dropping weight. So since my favorite recipes for pie, ice cream, cookies, and protein bars contain it, I too am loathe to give it up. DH adores the cookies I make with it, and they keep him from eating something worse. It may be a YMMV kind of thing. For me, it is all good. I will continue to be careful with the amounts I use and look for negative effects. But so far, so good.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:01 AM   #188
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
I haven't noticed any side effects from using Vitafiber, though I have noticed that in baked goods, it helps keep me fuller, longer. I don't use keto sticks nor do I test blood sugar so I can't help on that end, sorry. :-(

I have a few more pounds to lose so I'm going to give up all breads, snacks and treats for now, but I feel good about the fact that there is a product out there that's safe for me to consume that makes my baked goods more authentic and doesn't cause me any ill effects. Very happy I won't have to deal with the gastric effects of polydextrose and the unreliability of it.

Realize that not everyone can eat everything, and ymmv with Vitafiber, just as it does with all other ingredients, low carb or not.
EnglishLit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:34 PM   #189
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

I'm having so much fun with VF almond brittle. I broke a bunch up and made layers with it, along with vanilla sponge and rum buttercream. Serving it up for our Friday Night is Cake For Dinner night!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (34.7 KB, 56 views)
Old 03-14-2015, 03:21 AM   #190
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow! That is too gorgeous. Let us know how the brittle held up floating in a bed of frosting. Inquiring minds need to know.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:39 PM   #191
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

It held up really well - and darn delicious. I added extra toasted almonds to the vitafiber toffee recipe. Great flavor with the rum buttercream
Old 03-26-2015, 02:05 PM   #192
Buffy45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Fast 5
Start Date: 10/31/15
Has anyone found, or perfecting a cookie or muffin recipe using this? I love using the liquid in my avocado chocolate pudding, it is sooo good but would love a good muffin or cookie to enjoy with coffee.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:32 PM   #193
judytab
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Has anyone found, or perfecting a cookie or muffin recipe using this? I love using the liquid in my avocado chocolate pudding, it is sooo good but would love a good muffin or cookie to enjoy with coffee.
Soobee has a cookie recipe on post #140. I haven't tried it yet but it should be good coming from her.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:56 PM   #194
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Soobee's cookie is the best low carb cookie I've ever eaten. If you don't have coconut oil, you can use melted butter. Tastes just like a delicious regular chocolate chip cookie. So easy to make and a very adaptable recipe if you want to make a different type of cookie, say hazelnut, instead.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:17 PM   #195
SugarFreeLowCarb
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SugarFreeLowCarb
Stats: 145/130/120
Start Date: off and on since 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post
Shortly after I read the article I linked to above I received an email from Bioneutra informing me that Vitafiber was now available on Amazon so I decided to email them back asking about it.

Here was my email:
I just recently purchased some of your product but was dismayed to read the following article this morning.

Is this true? I purchased the Vitafiber to use in recipes I make for my newly diagnosed Type 2 diabetic husband but now I'm not so sure it was a wise purchase

Here was the response from Monica, Customer Service Manager:

Hello Pamela,

I understand your concern. Something to bear in mind is that when you are talking about a finished product it will contain other ingredients which you have to take into account when counting the macros. Now, I cannot speak for Quest.

As for VitaFiber, BioNeutra does not make claims of Vitafiber being diabetic friendly, this is because we haven’t done the blood sugar clinical trials yet. That is something we are working on right now only for the IMO not for the quest bars. When we have the data we will be able to assert if this product can be labelled as something for diabetics. On the note of the article, there are a few problems with it. First of all IMO is not indigestible, all the scientific literature clearly points out that Imo is digestion-resistant meaning not all of it would be digested, but a certain percentage will be digestible meaning some units of glucose will come loose and get processed but not as fast as straight up glucose like regular sugar, that is why we do not claim our product to be calorie free.

I know there is information on the web but I would take it with a grain of salt.

If you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact me anytime. I would be glad to further discuss with you.
It's great to see that the folks at BioNeutra responded to the concern. I'll continue to use the product with caution. It's the best replacement for corn syrup I've found. I use a small amount of the syrup in ice cream. Tried the powder, but not really a fan. I like the inulin based sweetener by LC Foods better.
SugarFreeLowCarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 12:59 AM   #196
nanoparty!
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nanoparty!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonbon41 View Post
I'm having so much fun with VF almond brittle. I broke a bunch up and made layers with it, along with vanilla sponge and rum buttercream. Serving it up for our Friday Night is Cake For Dinner night!
Oh man, Bonbon, too gorgeous! I'd love to hear your recipe for the buttercream too...
nanoparty! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 12:45 PM   #197
judytab
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
I made Soobee's cookies and they are delicious! My husband likes them also (darn!). I'm a diabetic and for what it's worth, my BG has tested well after eating desserts using Vitafiber. I made pecan pie cheesecake bars and had a large piece for breakfast twice (for testing purposes) with only coffee and both times my blood sugar was much lower than my fasting BS at 2.5 - 3 hrs after Breakfast. I also tested the cookies the same way (3 cookies w/coffee). My fasting BS was 105, then 110 after 2 hrs and 97 after 3 hrs. I do take insulin before meals but it was much better than any non-LC cookies would have tested even with insulin.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:25 AM   #198
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the info on your blood sugar levels. I believe the same happy results are happening for me. I have been on maintenance for over 15 years, but I was at the high end of where I like to be. IF stopped the slow rise of weight, but once Vitafiber came into my life, I started dropping weight. 5 lbs so far.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:12 AM   #199
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
I've now read that blog post several times and I just don't agree w/ that person. Remember this is just one thing out there on the internet. I wouldn't fret too much.
Diabetics have meters to test around this sort of thing but for you non diabetics, go buy
the Reli On brand that Wal Mart sells, quite cheap. Meter is around $10 and 50 test strips is around $4. But you'll need to test some before so that you have baseline #'s. And then you'll need to look for info on what is normal blood sugar readings for non diabetics. As a general rule, you test before eating a food, then you can test at 1 hr and again at 2 hrs. I "think" that at the 2 hr mark is when non diabetics should be bk to around their pre-eating #. Maybe it's the 3 hr mark, can't be sure.
JJJ'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:24 AM   #200
grneyedldy
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: grneyedldy
Stats: 180/134/120
WOE: NK
Start Date: 9/2/2013
I ordered some yesterday. I'm not diabetic, but I'm going to check my BS when I get it. I'm going to start with Soobee's cookie recipe.

Quick question for the VF veterans......do children have any stomach problems with VB?
Old 04-14-2015, 06:28 AM   #201
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So far no one has had any trouble with Vitafiber over here. I feed it to my guests without worries.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:08 AM   #202
grneyedldy
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: grneyedldy
Stats: 180/134/120
WOE: NK
Start Date: 9/2/2013
Thank you Soobee. I've decided to no longer give my GDS any treats with sugar.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:41 AM   #203
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by judytab View Post
I made Soobee's cookies and they are delicious! My husband likes them also (darn!). I'm a diabetic and for what it's worth, my BG has tested well after eating desserts using Vitafiber. I made pecan pie cheesecake bars and had a large piece for breakfast twice (for testing purposes) with only coffee and both times my blood sugar was much lower than my fasting BS at 2.5 - 3 hrs after Breakfast. I also tested the cookies the same way (3 cookies w/coffee). My fasting BS was 105, then 110 after 2 hrs and 97 after 3 hrs. I do take insulin before meals but it was much better than any non-LC cookies would have tested even with insulin.
Thank you for sharing your results - this is great news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoparty! View Post
Oh man, Bonbon, too gorgeous! I'd love to hear your recipe for the buttercream too...
I make all sorts Nano. I make the swiss meringue buttercream from domestifluff with great results. I also make buttercream with varying ratios of butter, cream cheese and whipping cream, depending on what works with the cake and if I want more buttery, more sour or lighter.

Right now I'm making chickenlady's chocolate cake with internal layers of a heavily whipped creamed chocolate buttercream (approx 30% butter,30% cream cheese, 40% whipped cream) because the outside is iced with the domestifluff vanilla swiss meringue buttercream that has tons of butter.

Hurrah for the joys of LCHF, allowing people to stay trim while consuming copious amounts of butter and cream!
Old 04-15-2015, 11:21 AM   #204
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Bonbon, do you sub out any or all of the xylitol in the swiss meringue buttercream? Can you give me an amt of VF that you use in that recipe? thks
Old 04-15-2015, 07:02 PM   #205
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

JJJ'SMom, I have subbed out half of the xylitol for erythritol and it turned out great. Haven't tried VF in that yet, but VF worked great in Soobee's 7 minute meringue icing so it should work too. Apparently you can do all Erythritol in the swiss meringue buttercream but I am afraid to try because of the cooling effect.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:04 AM   #206
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dh's new favorite cookie. Crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside. Very reminiscent of brown sugar oatmeal cookies.
N’Oatmeal Cookies Soobee¼ cup slivered almonds, chopped
¼ cup coconut flakes, chopped
¼ cup flax seeds, then ground
1 cup almond flour
¼ tsp salt
¼ cup tagatose
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp baking soda
¼ cup browned butter
¼ cup sweetener (6 drops sucralose)
½ tsp blackstrap molasses
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 Tbs or 1/4C Vitafiber liquid
Brown the butter. Mix all dry ingredients together. Mix all wet ingredients together. Add wet to dry ingredients and mix. Mold cookies together with your hands. These seem crumbly, but will meld together when baked. Form into balls. Press down on cookie sheets. Bake for 5-7 minutes until golden brown around edges. (Alternately, you could roll ingredients together in parchment paper or plastic wrap, cool, and slice.)

Last edited by Soobee; 04-17-2015 at 06:07 AM..
Old 04-17-2015, 07:22 AM   #207
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Man these look good. My mom's getting out of the hospital today so I think I'll bring her a fresh batch of these. After sneaking one for myself of course, can't wait to try!
Old 04-17-2015, 08:37 AM   #208
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Oh no, we've witnessed it, Bonbon has gone crazy........did you see a pic of the cookies Bonbon??

Thks for posting Soobee
Old 04-17-2015, 09:16 AM   #209
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

No pictures. Technically impaired.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:09 PM   #210
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ'sMom View Post
Oh no, we've witnessed it, Bonbon has gone crazy........did you see a pic of the cookies Bonbon??

Thks for posting Soobee
I have gone a bit mad...stealing cookies from not only the sick and elderly but also my own blood. I blame Soobee! Her cookies are THAT good.