Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 11-18-2014, 05:42 AM   #91
Clues
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Clues
Has anyone tried making candy with the syrup? Does it go into soft crack/hard crack stage successfully? This may be a crazy idea, but I'm thinking of trying a recipe for red licorice, subbing the syrup for corn syrup, and figuring out a sub for the sugar and cornstarch. (Probably oligofructose for the sugar since I think the tagatose would get too dark) Anyone have any thoughts on this experiment or on cornstarch subs, etc?
Clues is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2014, 12:10 PM   #92
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Glucomannan + coconut flour?
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 08:51 PM   #93
judytab
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
I made a successful pecan pie for Thanksgiving with VitaFiber syrup. Actually, it was pecan pie bars which I adapted from a recipe online. It's pecan pie filling in a pan on a shortbread type crust. The filling came out great but the crust stuck to the glass pan even though I sprayed it so it was somewhat crumbly. But it all tasted good. I prefer that so I don't have to worry about pie crust over browning and the filling is not as thick as pie which I like better. The Vitafiber seems to make the filling a little sticky (which also makes it crunchy and yummy!) so I think some of it seeped to the bottom of the pan and made the crust stick. I'm planning on making another one for Christmas and lining the pan with non-stick foil - hopefully that will help the crust problem.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:09 AM   #94
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I would love to see your recipe. My pecan pie was a big hit also. Love that Vitafiber. Did you use the liquid or crystals?
Old 12-04-2014, 04:22 PM   #95
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
I'm finally getting around to experimenting with the VF, and I wanted to know if the powder and liquid are interchangeable? I want to make blondies subbing VF for the poly-d, but not sure which VF I should use.

Also, how sweet is it? Will I still have to add additional sweeteners like with poly-d, or is it as sweet as regular corn syrup?
EnglishLit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 05:29 PM   #96
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bonbon41
WOE: Low carb cake plan!
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishLit View Post
I'm finally getting around to experimenting with the VF, and I wanted to know if the powder and liquid are interchangeable? I want to make blondies subbing VF for the poly-d, but not sure which VF I should use.

Also, how sweet is it? Will I still have to add additional sweeteners like with poly-d, or is it as sweet as regular corn syrup?
I tend to use the powder for baking that requires a hot oven or longer cooking time. In my experience, the powder doesn't brown as easily as the liquid.

They say it's about 60% as sweet as sugar. At first I thought it was sweeter but now I think that's about right.

Good luck with your bake - love to hear how it goes!
Bonbon41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:48 AM   #97
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

I made the chocolate chip protein muffins recipe that I found on the fitness treats website.

The good: Few ingredients, quick and easy to make, baked up really fast! It had the look, texture, and spngey/bready consistency of a "proper" muffin, which is something that no matter how hard I try, I can never get when relying on nut flours. I used the vf powder, not the liquid for this.

The bad: My chocolate chips sank to the bottom of the muffins, so boo there. The taste wasn't that great. I added a 1/4 cup of xylitol because I didn't think it would be sweet enough with just the vitafiber as a sweetener. The sweetness was perfect, but there was an aftertaste. At this point, I believe the aftertaste comes from the pea protein powder and not from the vitafiber. I've always had issues with protein powders in baked goods.

I plan to experiment further, using the vitafiber in an existing muffin recipe with no protein powder, and see if it will help improve the texture.

Here's a pic of my muffins:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0058.jpg (31.1 KB, 57 views)
Old 12-06-2014, 06:12 AM   #98
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Wow, those muffins look really good!

I've come to the conclusion that you need a good tasting whey powder for the minimal ingredient VF recipes to work. I've tried them with pumpkin seed protein and it really affects the taste. Using quality extracts helps a bit but not enough to totally mask the weird taste. I often use VF as a sweetener in regular low carb bakes and have good results with it.

Hope your next recipes taste better
Old 12-06-2014, 06:14 AM   #99
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Not sure if this is worth reporting but I made a nice maple syrup with VF liquid and good quality maple extract. The syrup I usually use is delicious, but thin. I also use VF to thicken it up. Just add it to the bottle and shake. Great thickener for sweet sauces.

Last edited by Bonbon41; 12-06-2014 at 06:15 AM..
Old 12-06-2014, 01:22 PM   #100
Buffy45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Fast 5
Start Date: 10/31/15
What was the good syrup you added it to?
Old 12-06-2014, 01:37 PM   #101
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I've seen chocolate syrup recipes on the Pingram Vitafiber page for just Vitafiber + cocoa.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:40 PM   #102
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
What was the good syrup you added it to?
It's Nature's Hollow sugar free maple syrup made with xylitol. Good flavor, and pretty pure ingredients list compared to most but it's very thin. They also make sugar free strawberry preserves, which is the nicest sugar free jam I've tried. Also made with xylitol.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:40 PM   #103
Buffy45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Fast 5
Start Date: 10/31/15
Oh yes, that brand is very good
Old 12-20-2014, 11:43 AM   #104
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: OMAD
my new use for VF: I add a Tbs or so to a glass of almond milk, along with cocoa or other flavouring (Torani's smores syrup is awesome). Makes the almond milk much thicker and more delicious.
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:13 AM   #105
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
my new use for VF: I add a Tbs or so to a glass of almond milk, along with cocoa or other flavouring (Torani's smores syrup is awesome). Makes the almond milk much thicker and more delicious.
Nice work! I'm going to try this in my cocoa
Old 12-22-2014, 01:05 PM   #106
judytab
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Not all of my filling fit into my 9 inch pie pan. I think next time I might try a 10 inch pie pan, but then the crust ingredients would have to be increased. The crust came up the sides but not over the lip, so there was no worry about overbrowning. DH is already requesting another. And some high carbers asked for the recipe!
Pecan Pie Crust Buttoni
1 1/4 c. finely ground pecans
3 T. unsalted butter softened
3 packets Stevia or Splenda
1/4 c flax meal
Combine all ingredients and press into bottom of glass pie plate. Bake in 375º oven for 10-12 minutes to toast pecans a bit and bring out their flavor. Cool and fill as desired.
Pecan Pie Filling Soobee
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
½ cup brown sugar substitute
½ cup tagatose
1 tsp molasses
3/4 cup Vitafiber
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
2 cups chopped toasted pecans
1 to 2 tablespoons bourbon
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3 eggs, lightly beaten
Set separate racks in the center and lower third of oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Bake on a baking sheet on the center rack until the dough is set, about 10-15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. In medium saucepan, combine the butter, tagatose, erythritol, molasses and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, and stirring constantly, continue to boil for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the nuts, bourbon and the vanilla. Set the mixture aside to cool slightly, about 5 minutes. Whisk the beaten eggs into the filling until smooth. Put the pie shell on a sheet pan and pour the filling into the crust. Bake on the lower oven rack until the edges are set but the center is still slightly loose, about 35 to 45 minutes.
Soobee, in this recipe, when do you add the vitafiber? Do you boil it with the first ingredients or add later with the eggs? TIA.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:52 AM   #107
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I melted the butter, tagatose, erythritol, molasses and salt. Then when it was almost there added the Vitafiber. I was afraid to boil the Vitafiber too much, so I just let it get a few bubbles, just like when you make protein bars.
Old 12-23-2014, 01:43 PM   #108
judytab
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I melted the butter, tagatose, erythritol, molasses and salt. Then when it was almost there added the Vitafiber. I was afraid to boil the Vitafiber too much, so I just let it get a few bubbles, just like when you make protein bars.
Thanks so much for getting back to me so soon, Soobee! I haven't made protein bars with it yet, but I also was unsure about boiling the VF syrup. If I hadn't heard back before I made it, I was just going to play it safe and add it after the boiling. Instead of the bourbon, I'm going to add a little Monin caramel syrup for extra flavor. Thanks - and Merry Christmas!
Old 12-23-2014, 02:32 PM   #109
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am sure that will be great.
Old 12-24-2014, 05:10 PM   #110
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

VF powder meringues and 7 minute marshmallow frosting

Today was my first go at vitafiber meringues and vitafiber 7 minute meringue frosting. I made this cake using Soobee’s VF 7 minute frosting recipe, adapted from Paula Deen (see below). After making it, I continued beating the frosting until it was thick enough to pipe as a meringue. The frosting was lovely and light and was so easy to ice the cake that no crumb coat was needed. The one thing I would say is that I’ll need to play with the ratio of VF powder to erythritol powder. I put 2/3 VF and 1/3 erythritol and I could slightly taste the VF, even with the full amount of vanilla extract. It’s hard to describe the taste, other than a bit musty! I’ve never tasted this when using the syrup. When eaten with the other cake flavors it wasn't really noticeable though. Putting more erythritol may result in a cooling effect though, so it's a tricky balance. I did a double batch and had more than enough to ice an entire cake and make meringues as well.

The meringues piped like a dream and I had high hopes but sadly they never dried out, just remained sticky after close to 5 hours in a 200 degree oven. I tried eating one and it dissolved into a hard bit of stickiness that had to be forcibly removed from my teeth with pliers.

Here's to happy holidays everyone!

Soobee's VF Marshmallow Frosting

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups blend Vitafibre powder & powdered Erythritol (I did 2/3 VF & 1/3 E.)
A few drops liquid sucralose at the end, if needed
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup water
2 egg whites
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Directions
Place vitafiber, cream of tartar, salt, water, and egg whites in the top of a double boiler. Beat with a handheld electric mixer for 1 minute. Place pan over boiling water, being sure that boiling water does not touch the bottom of the top pan. (If this happens, it could cause your frosting to become grainy). Beat constantly on high speed with electric mixer for 7 minutes. Then taste for sweetness add extra sucralose as needed. Beat in vanilla.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (60.3 KB, 54 views)
Old 12-24-2014, 05:13 PM   #111
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

The sticky VF meringues

Here are the peppermint meringues:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (44.5 KB, 56 views)
Old 12-25-2014, 09:51 AM   #112
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonbon41 View Post
Here are the peppermint meringues:
Forgot to add: I remade these without the water and they were much better! I'll play more with the recipe as I don't want to post if it's not perfect
Old 12-25-2014, 07:39 PM   #113
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So gorgeous!!
Old 12-27-2014, 07:30 AM   #114
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I made a good and very low calorie Coconut Milk sub--I used about a quarter cup coconut creamer--40 cals, some coconut essence, and a couple of TBS of vitafiber. let it sit all mixed up for awhile and it becomes thick and delicious. So good with some mashed sweet potato.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:19 AM   #115
judytab
Senior LCF Member

Soobee, I made your recipe for pecan pie and it came out delicious! The only changes I made were I used just 1/4 cup Erythritol and 1/4 cup equiv Splenda with the 1/2 cup of Tagatose for sweeteners and used 2 Tbs caramel syup instead of bourbon. I'm so glad to have the VF! BhI also have the powder and want to figure out what to do with that. I'm thinking of using it like polydextrose as a sub for the texture of sugar in baking or maybe half and half with PolyD since too much PD affects my stomach. But I'm really happy to have pecan pie again!
Old 12-27-2014, 01:25 PM   #116
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm so glad the recipe worked for you.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:48 AM   #117
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I thought the Vitafiber would act like corn syrup, giving the glaze an extra shine. Next time I will take the glaze off the heat before I add the Vitafiber. I am posting the marshmallow recipe I used. It is 1/3 of the original. I cooked it to 260. Next time I would try 270, although it did work with the 260. I was nervous that the temp was so much higher than the original, and I cut the heat, even though I did not have a well-defined soft ball forming in cold water.

Vitafiber Marshmallow
1 pkg unflavored gelatin (about 2 1/2 tsp.)
1/3 cup cold water (for the gelatin)
2 Tbs. water (for the syrup)
1 cup erythritol crystals, or 1 1/3 cups powdered
1/3 cup Vitafiber
Pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla
Place the gelatin and the cold water in the bowl of a stand mixer. in a small saucepan combine erythritol, Vitafiber water and salt. to dissolve. Place over medium heat, stirring to dissolve. Cover and allow to cook for a few minutes. Uncover, clip on candy thermometer, and bring up to 260-270. Remove from the heat. Using whip attachment, start beating egg whites and slowly drizzle in hot syrup. Continue beating, adding in vanilla. Beat until the mixture is lukewarm and marshmallowy. I poured it into a silicone cake pan. It did not stick at all. It was slightly grainy at first, but over the course of the day, turned into a smooth creamy consistency.
Soobie, thanks for the recipe! I'm going to be making this today!

But a question. If I wanted to make a marshmallow creme--I'm working on a filling for whoopie pies--what would I change in this recipe to give it a more creamy, fluffy consistency?
Old 12-30-2014, 01:29 PM   #118
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

As I recall, it's pretty fluffy. I did make a 7 minute boiled frosting, that may be closer to what you are looking for. When I first made it, the erythritol made tiny crystals in the mixture, but they went away overnight. I frosted a chocolate cake with this, and it came out really well, and stayed moist for the few days it lasted around us.
Vitafiber Marshmallow Soobee
3 egg whites
1 pkg unflavored gelatin (about 2 1/2 tsp.)
1/3 cup cold water (for the gelatin)
2 Tbs. water (for the syrup)
1 cup erythritol crystals, or 1 1/3 cups powdered
1/3 cup Vitafiber
Pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla
Place the gelatin and the cold water in the bowl of a stand mixer. in a small saucepan combine erythritol, Vitafiber water and salt. to dissolve. Place over medium heat, stirring to dissolve. Cover and allow to cook for a few minutes. Uncover, clip on candy thermometer, and bring up to 260-270. Remove from the heat. Using whip attachment, start beating egg whites and slowly drizzle in hot syrup. Continue beating, adding in vanilla. Beat until the mixture is lukewarm and marshmallowy. I poured it into a silicone cake pan. It did not stick at all. It was slightly grainy at first, but over the course of the day, turned into a smooth creamy consistency.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:30 PM   #119
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

The marshmallow fluff recipe turned out amazing! Thanks Soobee! I used Xylitol instead of erythritol because I have a huge bag of it, and I added a few drops of marshmallow flavoring.

I used part of the fluff in my recipe for low carb whoopie pie filling, and it performed the same as regular. Very pleased with the results.

Here are some pics of the finished products!

Old 01-01-2015, 08:56 AM   #120
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Aunt Ruth's pecan cake with VF powder

I did my version of aunt Ruth's pecan cake again using VF powder instead of VF syrup this time and it was even better! No premature browning at all despite the long bake and the texture was crunchy on the outside and very fudge-like on the inside. Also tasted very fudgey and praliney with all the bown sugar sub and browned butter. I think VF is a great way to get different textures in bakes. Love this stuff