Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 08-19-2016, 12:31 PM   #391
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheri View Post
Today QVC has the vitamix 6300 on special for $429.96. They also have easy pay so if you don't want to pay the entire amount right away, you can do 6 payments of $71.66. This is how I bought my Vitamix 7500. I love easy pay!!! I just wanted to give a heads up to those who have thought about buying one and feel it is too much to spend all at once. This would make a excellent Christmas gift!!
I think you want the Vitamix thread. This is the Vitafiber thread.
EnglishLit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2016, 07:56 AM   #392
buttoni
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 199.6/182/150
WOE: Atkins 4/09; CNS/Ultra LC 4/16
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 67
Wow! This sounds like an interesting, healthy new product. May eventually get some and explore the possibilities. Some lovely end products photographed in this lengthy thread. But my question is HOW in the heck do you people eat sweets this often and lose weight? I could never bake as often as some of you do and ever lose a pound. Just would never happen. I'm eating/baking virtually no sweets at all nowadays.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:14 AM   #393
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Peggy, I can't answer for anyone else. IF is the answer for me. I can eat more food with fewer consequences. And I have the most tremendous sweet tooth, so this has been a wonderful thing.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:37 AM   #394
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
Wow! This sounds like an interesting, healthy new product. May eventually get some and explore the possibilities. Some lovely end products photographed in this lengthy thread. But my question is HOW in the heck do you people eat sweets this often and lose weight? I could never bake as often as some of you do and ever lose a pound. Just would never happen. I'm eating/baking virtually no sweets at all nowadays.
lol Peggy, I don't! That's why I had to pull back from all of the delicious breads and pecan pies and all of the cookies. I will say that I never, ever GAINED weight, but all of this stuff did an excellent job helping me maintain.

Unfortunately, I still have about 30 pounds to lose, so that wasn't exactly a triumph. Almond flour, butter, xylitol, etc, it might be low carb but it certainly isn't calorie free.
I do better reigning in my baking in the spring and summer. Fall is coming back soon and I will need to figure out a way to balance the yummy comfort sweets and still lose weight.

Still, it's nice to know that I will someday be able to have pecan pie that tastes like it was made with cane sugar and corn syrup, and not have to suffer any consequences from eating it.
Old 08-20-2016, 06:27 PM   #395
buttoni
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 199.6/182/150
WOE: Atkins 4/09; CNS/Ultra LC 4/16
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 67
Well this Vitafibre sure looks like it'll produce one tasty pecan pie, English. I'm still trying to lose 30# too.

Soobee, I'm dipping my toes in the water with IF. I fast from 6pm to noon the next day every single day now. It's helped get me to losing again with Carb Nite Solution. I've lost #15 since I began CNS April 15th and just introduced the 18-hr fasts last week. It's really helping me, too. May try a 20 or 24 hour one day, but not for awhile until I get used to eht 18-hour stints.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:16 AM   #396
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

I'm doing 18 hour IF right now and it finally shook me from my weight loss stall. I've lost about ten pounds, but I'm slowing down now and I wonder if I have been experiencing a carb creep in my diet. I'm going to rework my diet, try to eliminate more carbs (I'm at about 75 grams per day right now) and see if that helps.

I've always disliked eating breakfast so this is really great for me! Something else I've noticed about Vitafiber is that I always used to be really, really full after eating it. I haven't used it in baked goods in awhile and there is a noticeable difference in my appetite. Hmmm...maybe I'll try a VF dessert without using high calorie nuts and nut flours.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:25 PM   #397
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bonbon41
WOE: Low carb cake plan!
Start Date: 2001
Peggy, I think finally letting myself eat lots of healthy treats has actually been the key to my getting to goal and then some. Fasting has helped and so has "Cake for Dinner!" nights. And with such good nutritional profiles on our treats, I figure why the heck not have them for dinner when my rampant sweet tooth calls out for it?

I think you would have fun playing with VF. Its moves are like nothing else on the low carb dance floor...
Bonbon41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:19 PM   #398
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT + Fast Five
Start Date: June 2012
Oh my stars, Bonbon! Beautiful way with words!
Old 08-23-2016, 05:24 AM   #399
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, indeed!
Old 08-23-2016, 05:46 AM   #400
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Aw shucks, thank you so much!
Old 08-28-2016, 11:42 AM   #401
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

I bought a box of low carb brownie mix from Amazon and made it a couple of weeks ago. The first ingredient listed was vitafiber, along with other standard low carb baking ingredients.
The texture was really good, but unfortunately, the stevia they used as a sweetener was kind of gross and inedible. We ended up trashing most of the pan, but I definitely think that we can duplicate the recipe here with better tasting sweeteners.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:48 AM   #402
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

2 tablespoons peanut butter powder, 2 tsp vitafiber syrup, 2-3 tablespoons warm water pretty much makes the best substitute for peanut butter!
Old 09-12-2016, 02:05 PM   #403
judytab
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
I saw an episode of "Martha Bakes" on PBS this weekend where she made a chocolate ganache frosting with corn syrup added to the bitter chocolate and cream. Another recipe for us to try with VF syrup!
Old 09-18-2016, 07:50 AM   #404
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Strength of VF frosting!

I really like the simplicity of this recipe Judy. i think this is definitely one to try!

I wanted to share that I made a sugar free VF frosting for a low carb kids cake (then smothered it with real candy on top to fool them moo ah ah ah...). The VF frosting was light and fluffy but really stood the test of holding up weighted candy over time, particularly on the sides of the cake. Go VF go! The cake was served on day 2, all held beautifully in place.

This frosting recipe had one brick cream cheese, two bricks butter, vanilla, 1/3 cup VF syrup plus sweetener.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (47.8 KB, 28 views)
Old 09-18-2016, 11:17 AM   #405
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Oh my, that is GORGEOUS! What cake recipe did you use? And what kind of sweetener did you use along with the VF?
Old 09-18-2016, 03:31 PM   #406
judytab
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
That is a beautiful cake, Bonbon...you are a cake artist! The cream cheese frosting sounds good and easy also. Thanks for sharing!
Old 09-18-2016, 03:51 PM   #407
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Fabulous job! I agree with Judy. You are an artist.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:56 AM   #408
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
As usual, our BonBon has done a terrific job. Waiting to hear what sweetner you used in the frosting.
JJJ'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:26 AM   #409
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Aw thanks so much! I wanted to make a special cake to celebrate the adoption of a friends adorable little girl who has spent the last few years in foster care. She is only three and only weighs 20 pounds, eats only KD and sugary treats. We thought we would try to make a healthier type cake and see if she would go for it! So I adapted Linda Sue's pound cake, which has lots of eggs, and added some of my own baking blend components (protein powder, coconut flour, gluc, oat fiber). For the icing, I used pure liquid sucralose only. When serving a crowd sugar free icing, I seem to get the least objections with this and it doesn't get grainy as icing sometimes does with powdered sweetener. In the cake, I used a blend (swerve, Just Like Sugar etc). It sure was worth all the effort to see her little face when we brought the cake out!
Old 09-20-2016, 07:25 AM   #410
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Well that back story makes it even more beautiful!
Old 09-20-2016, 09:53 AM   #411
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Oh that's absolutely beautiful Bonbon! So happy to hear that story this morning!

I am in the house for the day and was interested in making some caramel and peanut popcorn. I'm wondering if vitafiber would work for this? Would I just use a similar recipe as the brittle?
Old 09-20-2016, 04:42 PM   #412
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

So I gave the popcorn a go, using serving sizes from some LC sites and making sure it stayed in my carb allotment.

Is is REALLY delicious, I missed it so much! The vitafiber of course worked fabulously, but I don't think I let it boil quite long enough because it is still a tad bit tacky. I used microwave popcorn so I might go back and try one more time before I make a huge batch of it for Halloween night.

The best thing about vitafiber candy is that you can use erythritol with it, and that makes the calorie and carb count absolutely fabulous and eat so much of whatever it is you're making. I'm going to have to be careful with this!
Old 09-20-2016, 08:32 PM   #413
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
EnglistLit, do post a recipe when you can, sounds yummy.
JJJ'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:37 PM   #414
marshamarsha
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marshamarsha
Stats: 270/175/140
WOE: low carb my way!
Start Date: 2011
so, i just read all 14 pages of this thread and ordered VF syrup. can't wait to finally get to experimenting with this stuff.
marshamarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:49 AM   #415
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ'sMom View Post
EnglistLit, do post a recipe when you can, sounds yummy.
I used:

2 bags 100 calorie microwave popcorn

1/4 cup truvia brown (next time, I'm going to eliminate this completely in favor of regular erythritol)

1/4 cup powdered vitafiber

1/4 vitafiber syrup

4 tablespoons light butter

1 tsp butter vanilla emulsion

A few drops vanilla sucralose

I popped the popcorn, dumped it into the bowl with about 1/4 cup of peanuts. Then I put the sweeteners and butter into a pot, brought them to a boil while stirring. I was supposed to let it boil for five minutes, but I only boiled for about 3 minutes, because it started smoking a little. Next time, I will do the full five minutes.

Then I pulled it from the heat, added the flavoring and sucrose and poured it over the popcorn, stirred it all up, and then spread it out on a parchment lined baking sheet. I sprinkled some sea salt over the top, and then baked it in a 250 degree oven for about an hour, stirring it occasionally.

It hardened up almost immediately. My husband ate it by the handful and said the taste was amazing, but again, I thought it had a little chew to it, so I need to cook it longer. He does not eat low carb at al, so this was high praise from him.

My first batches of peanut brittle ended up the same way, and I had to get over my fear of scorching it and just really let it cook.

Last edited by EnglishLit; 09-21-2016 at 05:58 AM..
Old 09-21-2016, 06:26 AM   #416
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

That looks so good! Thanks for sharing the recipe ��
Old 09-21-2016, 07:05 AM   #417
marshamarsha
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marshamarsha
Stats: 270/175/140
WOE: low carb my way!
Start Date: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishLit View Post
I used:

2 bags 100 calorie microwave popcorn

1/4 cup truvia brown (next time, I'm going to eliminate this completely in favor of regular erythritol)

1/4 cup powdered vitafiber

1/4 vitafiber syrup

4 tablespoons light butter

1 tsp butter vanilla emulsion

A few drops vanilla sucralose

I popped the popcorn, dumped it into the bowl with about 1/4 cup of peanuts. Then I put the sweeteners and butter into a pot, brought them to a boil while stirring. I was supposed to let it boil for five minutes, but I only boiled for about 3 minutes, because it started smoking a little. Next time, I will do the full five minutes.

Then I pulled it from the heat, added the flavoring and sucrose and poured it over the popcorn, stirred it all up, and then spread it out on a parchment lined baking sheet. I sprinkled some sea salt over the top, and then baked it in a 250 degree oven for about an hour, stirring it occasionally.

It hardened up almost immediately. My husband ate it by the handful and said the taste was amazing, but again, I thought it had a little chew to it, so I need to cook it longer. He does not eat low carb at al, so this was high praise from him.

My first batches of peanut brittle ended up the same way, and I had to get over my fear of scorching it and just really let it cook.

Very nice EnglishLit!!! I'd love to try this with Cashews. It used to be my favorite: Cashew Caramel Popcorn! I just ordered VF syrup, i guess now i need the powder!!?? lol
marshamarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:18 AM   #418
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

I bought isomalt powder from netrition. Will that work?
I also have the liquid VF.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:39 PM   #419
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

I *think* isomalt powder should work. I love isomalt, but I used a 1/4 cup in a batch of brownies last week and ... oh my. I almost thought I had the flu, my tummy was cramping so bad!

I will say that those were the best LC brownies I've ever made, so I ate three or four before I finally tossed them after a few days.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:40 PM   #420
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshamarsha View Post
Very nice EnglishLit!!! I'd love to try this with Cashews. It used to be my favorite: Cashew Caramel Popcorn! I just ordered VF syrup, i guess now i need the powder!!?? lol
I tried to make Soobee's peanut brittle using only the syrup and erythritol, and it never came together for me until I added the VF powder, so I would definitely say it's needed here too. There is some sort of magic that happens when you combine the powder, the syrup and erythritol.