Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 04-09-2016, 08:26 PM   #361
judytab
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
Bonbon, Any of the people subscribed to this thread will be very interested in any of your VF recipes! So be sure to post the frosting recipes and any others. Thanks so much to you and all of you who do a lot experimenting with VF - I get very excited when I see there's a new message in the thread.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2016, 05:48 AM   #362
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I am using 1/4 to 1/2 cup of liquid Vitafiber in my frostings now. I got this advice from Low Carb Maven and Bonbon41. I vary the amount depending on how stable and almost marshmallowy I want the frosting to be. I just made a cream cheese frosting with 3 cups of heavy cream for my husband's birthday cake. I used 1/3 cup Vitafiber. You could not tell it was there, but the frosting stayed stable and did nor weep or leak. I was able to transport this huge gorgeous lemon cake to my brother's house without mishap. Now 3 days later, the few remaining pieces are still stable.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:11 AM   #363
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT + Fast Five
Start Date: June 2012
I have gotten a recipe for "Easy Frozen Yogurt" from some source. And it does, indeed look very easy.

1 cups plain, full-fat Fage/Greek yogurt
1 cup sugar equivalent substitute
2 tsp. vanilla extract

Combine ingredients in a large, freezer-proof bowl or pan. Freeze covered, stirring every 30 minutes, until desired consistency is reached.
Keep covered and frozen.

- - - - - -
My question - do you think the liquid Vitafiber could be used at part of the sweetening? It does not seem 1:1 in sweetening, do you all think?

But I wonder if it would help keep the frozen yogurt from becoming a block of ice.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:11 PM   #364
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bonbon41
WOE: Low carb cake plan!
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
My question - do you think the liquid Vitafiber could be used at part of the sweetening? It does not seem 1:1 in sweetening, do you all think?

But I wonder if it would help keep the frozen yogurt from becoming a block of ice.
I think it could definitely be used as part of the sweetening mix. Why not roughly follow Soobee's ice cream ratio and use 2.5 tbs VF per one cup yoghurt (she uses 1/4 c VF for 1.5 cup liquid), then use 3/4+ cup sweetener depending on how sweet you like it. I think VF helps with freezability. Not quite as much as xanthan, guar or glycerine will however. If you have some stevia glycerite, that might work well in your sweetening blend and help with freezability. Love to hear how it goes. I love Fro Yo

Ps: will definitely report on the VF frostings and what works for piping, good to know there are other fans of VF frosting out there
Bonbon41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:43 PM   #365
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks, Bonbon! I appreciate the help and will report back.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:29 AM   #366
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'll be anxious to hear how it works out. I'm afraid the recipe as written does not have enough fat in it to work.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:46 AM   #367
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

I'll make a half recipe and see how it goes.
But probably not today - will report when I do!
Thanks, all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Edited to add: Just re-read the recipe. I don't think making half the recipe would be a good representation.
I'll jump into the whole recipe in a little bit.

Last edited by JMCM1; 04-11-2016 at 09:49 AM..
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:53 AM   #368
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
Soobee, great info on the frosting............full recipe pls, will be much appreciated.

I haven't tried a VF frosting yet but many moons ago, I started putting sm. amt of corn syrup in reg. frostings, which too gave more fluff and if a buttercream, made it more stable in heat............good ole VF !!
JJJ'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:40 PM   #369
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

This frosting is from Wheatless Buns for her Lemon Curd and Cream Cake. I just added in the Vitafiber liquid. She uses erythritol and stevia to sweeten. I used different combinations every time I do it. Also, as far as I can figure, she uses a cup of sweetener, but I use more. You can adjust it to your taste. I was lucky enough to find some 40% cream at Gordon's Food Service. It makes the most decadent frosting.
Frosting
3 C. heavy whipping cream
1 8 oz pkg of full-fat cream cheese (room temp)
2 TBS fresh squeezed lemon juice
3 TBS powdered erythritol
1/4 tsp sucralose/neotane to taste
½ tsp lemon extract, optional
1-2 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup Vitafiber liquid
Beat the softened cream cheese until fluffy. Add the other ingredients. Whip together until fluffy.

I think you could use any frosting recipe and add in the Vitafiber liquid. Then see how the frosting acts. I got the idea from Low Carb Maven for her carrot cake. Check out her frosting recipe. She used 3/4 cup Vitafiber. Although the frosting was delicious, it was almost too sturdy for me, so I have reduced the amount in my frostings.

Last edited by Soobee; 04-11-2016 at 12:45 PM..
Old 04-11-2016, 03:51 PM   #370
susieqrn
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susieqrn
Stats: 221/181/130
WOE: moderate low carb JUDD
Start Date: January 2016
Soobee - thanks for the recipe - it looks delicious, but I have a question. You say that you use more than a cup of sweetener, but I only see 3 T of erythritol and 1/4 tsp sucralose. Is that equal to over 1 cup of sweetener? I don't use neotame or sucralose, so I would probably sub either more powdered sweetener or liquid stevia.
susieqrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:05 PM   #371
susieqrn
Senior LCF Member

I have a wonderful, rich chocolate frosting recipe that I subbed Vitafiber for the corn syrup. It's adapted from a Fine Cooking recipe:

2 ½ cups heavy cream
6 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and seeds scraped out
6 oz. bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (85% cacao) OR SF dark chocolate
Granulated sweetener equal to 2 cups (I use a mix of xylitol, erythritol and JLS)
2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
½ cup Vitafiber syrup
¼ tsp. salt

In a 4 qt. saucepan over low heat, combine the cream, butter, and the vanilla bean and seeds. Stir until the butter is melted. Remove the vanilla bean and whisk in the chopped chocolate, until melted. Whisk in the sweetener(s), cocoa powder, syrup, and salt until smooth – be sure the cocoa powder dissolves completely. Pour into a 9x13-inch pan and freeze until firm, about 2 hours, or refrigerate overnight.
Remove the frosting from the freezer/fridge and transfer to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes to soften. Change to a whisk attachment and beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
Can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Cake with frosting should be refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:42 PM   #372
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

1/4 tsp sucralose (or neotane the way I mix it) is 1 cup worth of sweetener. The erythritol puts it over a cup.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:04 PM   #373
susieqrn
Senior LCF Member

Ahhhh...okay, thanks!
Old 05-07-2016, 10:30 AM   #374
Gfstitcher
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Gfstitcher
WOE: Lower carb for diabetes, gluten free
Start Date: 2012
re: post #371, Susieqrn's chocolate frosting recipe

just checking....is it really two cups of cocoa?

About how much frosting does this recipe make?

Thanks!

Last edited by Gfstitcher; 05-07-2016 at 10:31 AM..
Gfstitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:03 PM   #375
susieqrn
Senior LCF Member

I'm at work right now, but I will check tonight when I get home. I do remember adding quite a bit of cocoa, but I made a half batch.
It tastes soooo good!
Old 05-08-2016, 07:04 AM   #376
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

If you ever want a milk chocolate frosting rather than something dark, Carolyn's (All Day I Dream..) new one from her caramel cupcakes is great. I made it, whipped with some VF for added decadence, along with caramel VF frosting and caramel cake to make a Rolo cake.

If you have Sukrin gold fiber syrup, I highly recommend lowcarb maven's caramel. This technique might be possible with regular VF syrup and molasses. So delicious and the first recipe that for me was close to being a sub for regular caramel. Thank you Vitafiber!

Ps: as you can see my love for VF frosting is getting a bit out of control! Can you guess which layer is the cake and which is the frosting?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (27.8 KB, 32 views)
Old 05-08-2016, 09:55 AM   #377
susieqrn
Senior LCF Member

Gfstitcher, I looked up the recipe and, yes, it is 2 cups of cocoa. I'm sure you could get away with less and it would still be pretty chocolatey. It's adapted from The Best of Fine Cooking magazine.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:24 PM   #378
Gfstitcher
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Gfstitcher
WOE: Lower carb for diabetes, gluten free
Start Date: 2012
Susieqrn, thanks for checking that for me! I'm going to try this soon.

The caramel sounds good too!
Gfstitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:00 PM   #379
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
Why oh why did I click on this thread while I'm trying to hardcore watch my calories and carbs? Bonbon, that cake looks positively sinful and scrumptious, and I am all out of "special" days to have an excuse to make it! Wow.
EnglishLit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:20 PM   #380
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishLit View Post
Why oh why did I click on this thread while I'm trying to hardcore watch my calories and carbs? Bonbon, that cake looks positively sinful and scrumptious, and I am all out of "special" days to have an excuse to make it! Wow.
Thanks EnglishLit! It was super fun to make and a bit OTT. I poked holes in some of the layers and did a caramel drizzle. Next time I may do half chocolate cake layers instead of all caramel. Whenever life gets stressful, I balance the score with extra cake! The more stress, the more decadence. My kinda therapy

I hope you have some "special" days soon!
Old 05-10-2016, 04:54 AM   #381
Angeloco
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Angeloco
Stats: 135/126/120
WOE: LC
Start Date: September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonbon41 View Post
If you ever want a milk chocolate frosting rather than something dark, Carolyn's (All Day I Dream..) new one from her caramel cupcakes is great. I made it, whipped with some VF for added decadence, along with caramel VF frosting and caramel cake to make a Rolo cake.

If you have Sukrin gold fiber syrup, I highly recommend lowcarb maven's caramel. This technique might be possible with regular VF syrup and molasses. So delicious and the first recipe that for me was close to being a sub for regular caramel. Thank you Vitafiber!

Ps: as you can see my love for VF frosting is getting a bit out of control! Can you guess which layer is the cake and which is the frosting?

This looks so good. Did you post the recipe somewhere?
Old 05-11-2016, 06:52 PM   #382
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeloco View Post
This looks so good. Did you post the recipe somewhere?
I haven't typed up my own cake recipe yet but you can use Carolyn's from All Day I Dream. Her April 16 post of caramel cupcake with milk chocolate frosting inspired my cake. I used Low Carb Maven's caramel to poke and drizzle the cake layers and coat the top. I added a little extra VF syrup to the portion that went on the top to make it glossy. I used Carolyn's milk choc frosting between the layers and her caramel frosting on the top and sides. I found the cream cheese in the caramel frosting competed with the caramel. When I remake this, I'll use either all or mostly butter instead of the cream cheese. I whipped in VF to each frosting at the end.

Just be careful this doesn't happen. VF syrup hardens like crazy glue! It took over 30 minutes, loads of boiling water and near violence with a meat mallet to get it out! It came out fully intact. Despite the lightness of all that vitafiber frosting, it's super sturdy stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (49.6 KB, 41 views)
Old 05-12-2016, 05:17 AM   #383
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL. Love the picture. I'm just glad that all that beautiful cake was still edible.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:54 AM   #384
Angeloco
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Angeloco
Stats: 135/126/120
WOE: LC
Start Date: September 2011
Thanks Bonbon. That picture is hysterical.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:15 AM   #385
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

I'm interested in making some "rice crispy" treats for the holiday weekend, using a combination of puffed wheat and low carb cereal. I'm wondering if I need to go through the process of making Soobee's marshmallow recipe, or if just using the vitafiber syrup will work as a binder? Has anyone experimented with Vitafiber this way?
Old 05-28-2016, 10:53 AM   #386
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Update.

I made a single serving crispy treat using a recipe floating around google, calling for vitafiber, protein powder and butter. It was okay, more like a protein bar than a crispy treat, so I'm unlikely to make it again.

I just needed confirmation. I'm going to go ahead and make Soobee's marshmallow fluff and make the crispy treats from that.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:21 AM   #387
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Here's a recipe that I just saw on Judy Barnes Baker's website that uses vitafiber or fiberyum.

Raspberry Frozen Yogurt
2 cups frozen red raspberries or chopped strawberries (½ pound)
1 cup Greek-style yogurt or coconut yogurt
3 tablespoons powdered sugar substitute, such as Swerve or LC-Confectionery Powdered Sweetener
4 tablespoons IMO syrup*
High-intensity liquid sweetener, such as stevia, monk fruit, or sucralose to taste, if needed.**
1/8 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon glycerine, optional
1 tablespoon Chambord or other liqueur, optional***
Place frozen berries, yogurt, sugar substitutes, syrup, salt, glycerine, and liqueur (if using), in a high-speed blender or food processor. Process according to directions for your appliance until smooth. (My Vitamix says it is ready when 4 mounds form in the mixture.) Serve immediately as soft serve or scrape into a container and freeze for 20 minutes or so for a firmer product
Old 07-28-2016, 11:26 AM   #388
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

BonBon. on the cake above that stuck to the cake plate. I see what you said about the VF. So then does the caramel itself set up really sticky? What type of texture do you get when you ate the cake?
Old 08-10-2016, 01:00 PM   #389
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ'sMom View Post
BonBon. on the cake above that stuck to the cake plate. I see what you said about the VF. So then does the caramel itself set up really sticky? What type of texture do you get when you ate the cake?
The cake was quite light due to copious amounts of VF frosting! I added the liquid VF to the caramel on the top so it would loosen and drizzle over the sides.

Have you ever accidentally dropped a thin amount of VF liquid on the counter and found it later? It hardens and sticks like crazy! I used it once to brush on meringue layers for a cake that I didn't want the crème patisserie filling to make soggy! I tested two sides of the cakes. Some meringues had the VF sealant, some didn't. Worked a charm!
Old 08-18-2016, 07:36 PM   #390
cheri
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
Today QVC has the vitamix 6300 on special for $429.96. They also have easy pay so if you don't want to pay the entire amount right away, you can do 6 payments of $71.66. This is how I bought my Vitamix 7500. I love easy pay!!! I just wanted to give a heads up to those who have thought about buying one and feel it is too much to spend all at once. This would make a excellent Christmas gift!!

I used to live to eat... now I eat to live!
Don't be a victim of Dieters remorse.. Don't cheat.. stay on plan!

Be sure to visit Netrition on Facebook for the latest products and deals!
https://www.facebook.com/Netritioncom-210889832433/
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote