Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 12-18-2015, 04:52 PM   #331
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
Well, I've just experienced my first Vitafiber flop, but it is probably my fault. I have tried twice to make microwave peanut brittle and both times, I was unable to get it to set up and harden, both times it ended up extra chewy, like a really thick caramel. It is delicious, but it really wasn't what I was going for.

I used an adapted high carb brittle recipe, and that's probably where I went wrong. I went back and checked Soobie's brittle, and noticed that she didn't put any other granulated sweetener in along with the vitafiber. Wow, it really DOES prevent erythritol and xylitol from recrystallizing.

The recipe I used (in case anyone wants to make a candy closer to caramel). The first time I used erythritol, the second time xylitol, and both had the exact same results. Also, the first time I cooked in the microwave for 2-3 minutes, and the second time, 5-7 minutes. It got a lot browner the second time, but it never achieved hard crack stage. Bummer.

1 cup sweetener
1/2 cup liquid vitafiber
1 1/2 cups peanuts
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

I mixed together the sweetener and the vitafiber and microwaved on high heat for four minutes. I then added the nuts and butter, and put it back in the microwave for another two minutes. After removing from the microwave, I added the baking soda and vanilla and stirred vigorously until foamy, then poured onto a greased cookie sheet.
EnglishLit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2015, 06:21 AM   #332
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Haha thanks Soobee! You're right, eating the "bombed" brittle wasn't too bad, though I was afraid I was going to lose a filling eating some of it!

I went back and made the vitafiber brittle recipe with your substitutions, and I don't know if it's because of my microwave or what, but it got hard as a rock after only one minute in! I couldn't even fold in butter, vanilla and baking soda because it hardened almost as soon as I took it out of the microwave.

So, I added 1/4 cup of erythritol to it, a little extra butter, and added two tablespoons Sukrin Gold fiber syrup, put it back in the microwave in 30 second intervals, and after two minutes, it was finally melted down and I was able to stir in all of the ingredients and pour it into the pan. It hardened into brittle in about ten minutes, and it tastes fabulous! It is a tiny bit tacky in the teeth, but I think that's because I didn't add enough baking soda.

Next week I'm going to make a maple cashew brittle, inspired by Sees Candy. They actually do make a sugar free brittle, but it is made with maltitol and I just cannot deal with maltitol at all.

Last edited by EnglishLit; 12-20-2015 at 06:27 AM..
Old 01-17-2016, 06:30 AM   #333
Ladydi
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ladydi
Recipes

New here, I could use some help. I am trying to find recipes for quest bars or at least recipes using Vita Fiber. Can someone pleas help.
Thanks in advance.
Diane
Ladydi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:36 AM   #334
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
If you Google for Quest bar recipes, you'll find dozens of them--all similar.

I've made them with vita fiber, and it's really easy.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:54 AM   #335
Ladydi
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ladydi
Leo41,
Thank you. Do you substitute the via fiber for the other sweetner in the recipes?
Ladydi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:41 PM   #336
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

So I tried making the Vitafiber "Oreos" (if you google there recipe you'll find it). Only three ingredients used, but the cookies came out surprisingly good. They really don't taste much like Oreos of course, but I think with some recipe tweaks, they can come pretty close.

I'm thinking that Vitafiber and protein powder should be on the ingredients list for cookies, but not the only ingredients.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:40 PM   #337
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
on the back of my Sweet it (powdered VF) bag is a recipe for almond brittle that is amazing. All you do is combine 1/4 cup sweetit powder with 1/2 cup almonds. Spread the nut powder mixture on a parchmented coookie sheet and bake at 350 for 5-10 minutes. remove parchment from pan to cool.

It was easy and delicious! A bit sticky but really good and crunchy. I wasn't sure it would be sweet enough so I added a little tagatose to the mixture. Next time I'll try it without. Sooooo easy!
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 03:42 PM   #338
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Last edited by ouizoid; 03-04-2016 at 03:48 PM..
Old 03-05-2016, 05:13 PM   #339
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Here is the picture of the baked brittle that I was trying to show you yesterday
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (45.6 KB, 57 views)
Old 03-05-2016, 05:24 PM   #340
grneyedldy
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: grneyedldy
Stats: 180/134/120
WOE: NK
Start Date: 9/2/2013
I wonder if it would work the same with the liquid vita fiber?
Old 03-05-2016, 06:20 PM   #341
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bonbon41
WOE: Low carb cake plan!
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
Here is the picture of the baked brittle that I was trying to show you yesterday
Wow Ouiz - that looks great and couldn't get much easier to make. I'm going to have to try this! Thanks for sharing
Bonbon41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:07 PM   #342
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

VF has transformed my lowcarb frostings

I have had so much luck using VF syrup with frosting. I got the idea from lowcarb Maven's carrot cake frosting and Soobee. And now I won't make frosting without it - I'm hooked. 1/4 cup of VF for a small batch of frosting to 2/3 cup for a large batch. I find that by beating it really well with the butter, cream cheese or whip cream (depending on what you are using), you can get the volume to increase a ton, resulting in a much lighter frosting that is also glossy, stabilized and smoother. What more could you ask for? It also stabilizes whip cream better than anything else I've tried. It makes ganache so shiny. Oh, and it makes frosting sturdier too! In the thick, four layer cake in the pic, I made the frosting layers super thick, over an inch of frosting between each cake layer. I mounded the frosting in the centre, expecting the cake layer weight to spread the frosting out some. Usually, frosting as light as this under that amount of weight would squish out the sides. It didn't budge from the centre mound and so when I cut it, the frosting was unevenly distributed! I used VF in both this cake's peanut butter and chocolate frostings as well as the chocolate ganache.

This has been another huge VF win for me and so I wanted to share it with the VF fanclub. My love for Vitafiber keeps growing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (35.2 KB, 54 views)
Old 03-05-2016, 07:26 PM   #343
judytab
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
Bonbon, Your cake is beautiful and looks delicious! Do you use the liquid or the powder Vitafiber for stabilizing whipped cream? And how much would you use for 2 cups of cream?
Old 03-06-2016, 05:31 AM   #344
Angeloco
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Angeloco
Stats: 135/126/120
WOE: LC
Start Date: September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Esther, I would order the liquid. I use it in ice cream, cookies, pies and protein bars. I have had the best luck with it. Here is a tweaked recipe from Vangela. It is our new favorite cookie. We can't believe the great texture of the cookie. DH keeps saying, "It's just like a real cookie." You'll notice that it doesn't have eggs, so if you change the flour, it should work for you too.

Almond Chocolate Cookies Vangela Soobee
1¼ cups almond flour
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp. baking soda
¼ cup coconut oil
1/4 cup Vitafiber liquid
½ T vanilla
1/8 tsp sucralose liquid (1/2 cup worth of sweetener)
1/3 cup chocolate chips
1/3 cup sliced almonds
Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Mix almond flour, baking powder and baking soda together. In another bowl, combine oil, agave and vanilla together. Add dry mix to wet mix. Fold in sliced almonds and chocolate chips. Place 1 heaping tablespoon of dough onto baking sheets. Flatten. Bake for 7-8 minutes until golden. Cool in pan.
Omg. This recipe is so good. Just like real hc cookies. We were fighting over them last night. I had to promise to make a lot more today. Thanks so much for the recipe.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:48 PM   #345
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT + Fast Five
Start Date: June 2012
I'm what I like to euphemistically call an "early adopter."
I haven't read through all the pages of this thread, and I have one bottle of Vitafiber liquid.

I had to talk myself down from the ledge to NOT order a boatload of Fiberyum today.
I love to cook and I love to try new things.
I think I bought Vitafiber hoping to make a pecan pie for my DH with type 1 diabetes.

I can't talk myself out of ordering the Fiberyum liquid - is there a different application for the powder I should be aware of??

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:46 PM   #346
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Using VF to stabilize whip cream and use less to make frosting

Quote:
Originally Posted by judytab View Post
Bonbon, Your cake is beautiful and looks delicious! Do you use the liquid or the powder Vitafiber for stabilizing whipped cream? And how much would you use for 2 cups of cream?
Thanks Judy, I'm actually noshing on some yummy cake now! I keep deciding that it is healthy enough to eat for dinner

For the stabilized whip cream, I used the liquid. You know I keep meaning to measure but haven't. I would guesstimate about 2-3 tsp. per cup of cream. One tsp may be possible - I decided to start with more but haven't cut back to see if less works yet. What I did worked well, but so might less.

I also think you can likely use less VF syrup in the frostings than noted above, now I've had a chance to tuck in and really try out this cake. I used 1/2 cup and 1/3 cup for the frostings (made very large amounts). They each had whip cream in them (one quite a lot) as well as butter and cream cheese and the frostings ended up like super light mousse. People tasting it thought it was a mousse cake. So I guess our beloved VF can be whipped up to make stabilized mousse-like substances too! So perhaps for the frostings, maybe 2 tablespoons VF syrup for a smallish cake frosting and 1/4 cup for a larger one.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:10 PM   #347
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Quest bars gone downhill

The other day I spat out a bite of my much-loved raspberry white chocolate Quest bar. It was from a new box. Then I looked at the ingredients. Quest no longer uses IMO syrup (VF). They recently switched from isomalto-oligosaccharides (plant-based fiber) as their fiber source, to soluble corn fiber. I suppose they want to save money, although they are trying to flip it as some fabulous consumer-driven health innovation! I now find the bars inedible (both taste and texture have gone downhill) and sent them back.

I really love that I can make them with my VF but I will miss them for travelling...
Old 03-12-2016, 07:03 PM   #348
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
FiberYum review.........haven't cooked w/ it yet but taste and texture are spot on w/ the VF but I'm not surprised as someone I know had told me about the FiberYum awhile bk. The FY bottles say 2.5 lbs, the VF is 2.68lbs. But there is a slight difference in amt of the FY. It actually comes in a sm. jug. I weighed the 4 bottles and the weights were 1-3 1/2 ozs more than 40ozs.

Soobee or BonBon, I bought some of the powdered, which I've never used. Can you give me an idea of what things the powdered would be used in over using the liquid? I am gonna read fr the start of this thread but that's gonna take me a bit.

And for anyone who hasn't read this whole thread, I think that the perfect way to tell if it will sub for corn syrup is a pecan pie.
And it does, in the pecan pie, acts just like corn syrup

Last edited by JJJ'sMom; 03-12-2016 at 07:05 PM..
JJJ'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:15 PM   #349
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ'sMom View Post
Soobee or BonBon, I bought some of the powdered, which I've never used. Can you give me an idea of what things the powdered would be used in over using the liquid? I am gonna read fr the start of this thread but that's gonna take me a bit.
Elise from Fitness Treats says she "uses the powder in recipes like meringues, mousses, angel cakes; i.e. recipes where you need something that adds texture and volume, just like sugar does. I’d use the syrup in recipes where you have different ‘solid’ ingredients that you need to ‘bind’ together, like bars."

I have used her recipes using the powder for meringues and meringue frosting. I love the powder for Soobee's adapted almond brittle recipe. Haven't tried The one Ouizoid's posted yet. Lately I've started adding 1/4 cup of the powder to add lift and lighten baked goods. Like the syrup, I think it can make baked goods darken a bit quicker and the powder should be bound to something like a fat when heated in a microwave or stove top, as in Soobee's brittle recipe. I really want to experiment more with the powder.

Hope this helps some. Look forward to hearing about your experiences with it!
Old 03-23-2016, 06:13 PM   #350
juvee
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: juvee
Hi there,
Just an apology re my recent post which included a link to 5 lb FiberYum clearance. Did not know including a link was against terms and conditions. Received a message from admin and the post was taken down. Apologies guys - really did not know that was not permitted. Looking forward to receiving the FiberYum so I can test things out in the kitchen. Cheers to all.
juvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:56 PM   #351
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Juvee lots of us are grateful!!
Old 03-23-2016, 07:01 PM   #352
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Yes, very grateful and have learned the link lesson the hard way too! No worries Juvee - look forward to hearing about your IMO experiences
Old 03-23-2016, 07:22 PM   #353
juvee
Junior LCF Member

Thanks guys,
That makes me feel better. Hope my delivery does not take too long...a big trip all the way to Australia. Am sure with the help here at LCF I will have so many things to make once the IMO arrives. Will let you know how I go!
Old 04-04-2016, 04:26 PM   #354
juvee
Junior LCF Member

Hi there,
Just popping in to say my Fiberyum has arrived (took a while to get to Oz). Looking forward to creating something delicious with it. Choices, choices! Will report back. Cheers to all.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:15 AM   #355
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Doubled Soobie's ice cream recipe and added a few tweaks, but it is SO good and it doesn't freeze into a block at all! Very good base ice cream recipe.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:37 PM   #356
dldickins
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dldickins
Stats: 309/277/125
WOE: HFLC, NK July 2014
Start Date: May 28, 2011. Restarted Jan 27, 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishLit View Post
Doubled Soobie's ice cream recipe and added a few tweaks, but it is SO good and it doesn't freeze into a block at all! Very good base ice cream recipe.
What are the tweaks you made?
dldickins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:16 PM   #357
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

I upped the heavy cream because I like my ice cream to be rich, and also used cashew milk. For flavoring, I was going for cake batter flavor, so I added a scoop of cake batter protein powder and some butter vanilla emulsion flavoring. Delicious!
Old 04-09-2016, 05:17 PM   #358
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

I enjoy Soobee's ice cream and I also up the cream as I like It rich. I think it helps it from freezing too hard if sitting overnight as well (I usually make extra so it can last!). Throw some between Soobee's VF cookies and you've got some seriously unbelievable lowcarb goodies happening.

Life is good in the lowcarb VF lane! I did my first piping with VF stabilized whip cream, see pic. It needed a little more structure as the whip cream warmed to hold ideal shape. If anyone is interested, I will post VF piping-friendly frosting recipes as I work them out. Let me know
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (31.5 KB, 24 views)
Old 04-09-2016, 05:24 PM   #359
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonbon41 View Post
Life is good in the lowcarb VF lane! I did my first piping with VF stabilized whip cream, see pic. It needed a little more structure as the whip cream warmed to hold ideal shape. If anyone is interested, I will post VF piping-friendly frosting recipes as I work them out. Let me know
I am very interested!
Old 04-09-2016, 05:48 PM   #360
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
yes Bonbon, very interested. Wow and that's whipped cream, nice job. We'll wait for the tutorial..........
JJJ'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote