Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 08-14-2015, 04:42 PM   #301
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Amos View Post
So what's the definitive consensus regarding PolyD vs Vitafiber? If you could buy ONLY one: which would it be and why? PolyD seems to have served the LC community so very well since its introduction, and it is lower in both calories and cost (when compared to IMO) to boot. Further, it too can be made into a syrup/liquid form. Why, then, the sudden explosive excitement about what at least appears to be a very similar product?
I have mild gastric distress with polyd. Nothing that would have stopped me from using it, but VF is a better fit for me, and I don't feel bad serving it to other people. I've also found polyd to be slightly more temperamental than VF, and it can be frustrating to toss out a batch of baked goods because the polyd didn't behave right.

I tossed all of my polyd and will only use VF exclusively now, but I would only be disappointed if VF were suddenly unavailable for purchase, and would go back to using polyd.
EnglishLit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2015, 02:42 PM   #302
Callieco
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Callieco
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 020110
Is this a stupid question? How is this used in recipes? Is it supposed to substitute for sweetener or is it just an addition to a recipe?

I tried making peanut butter cookies and just added it to the original recipe. They came out pretty close to a real peanut butter cookie but kind of dry. I also tried Chicken Lady's fudge cake and substituted it for some of the sweetener and the cake bombed. Didn't rise and was closer to a brownie than cake. I've added it or subbed in other recipes too with various results.

Is there a method to using this stuff or just plain experimentation?
Callieco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:54 PM   #303
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bonbon41
WOE: Low carb cake plan!
Start Date: 2001
It's a good question actually and a tricky one because I'm sure we all use it a little differently. It's such a new product that it's still kind of Wild West days use-wise I think. I can only really speak for how I like to use it and how I've seen it used by some of the folks on this thread.

Due to cost, I don't use it as a sweetener. It's not too potent at only a 50 or 60% sweetening power. I like to use it to achieve textures that are otherwise really tricky in low carb. For example, I use it to make toffee, both chewy and brittle. Soobee came up with the recipe for this upthread. She also came up with a recipe for chocolate chip cookies, which are virtually indistinguishable from ones made with sugar. In my opinion, they have an incredible texture. Since then, she's made other cookie recipes as well. It seems vitafiber is an excellent replacement for corn syrup so I've been using it to make low carb all kinds of recipes that use corn syrup. Yesterday I used VF to replace corn syrup in a hot fudge sauce recipe. Soobee used VF in a pecan pie recipe and it's incredibly just like the real thing. I can't recall for sure but I think this was another corn syrup replacement. I also add Vitafiber to sauces and beverages to give them thick luscious textures thanks to Ouizoid's suggestion. Ouiz also passed along a recent recipe for honeycomb using Vitafiber. Overall for me, it's a great corn syrup replacement if you can't stomach PolyD that can be used to create some wonderful textures and products that are often not possible in low carb.

If you have time, read through this thread. You'll learn a ton about VF and how to use it.

As for if there is a method or plain experimentation, I think it's a bit of both. And also, as you experiment, some of the method becomes clear. You have to be careful with heating this stuff on the stove and microwave. More than bringing to a bit of a bubble can be disastrous. I'd recommend following some of the tried and tested VF recipes to give you some ideas of its properties and applications. This may give you a little confidence with your experiments. Hope this helps and good luck!
Bonbon41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:00 PM   #304
Callieco
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Callieco
Start Date: 020110
Thanks Bonbon. I have been experimenting with some things to see how they react with vitafiber.

I missed this the first time I went through the postings on this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonbon41 View Post
Note: when to use VF powder vs syrup:
I’d use the powder in recipes like meringues, mousses, angel cakes; i.e. recipes where you need something that adds texture and volume, just like sugar does. I’d use the syrup in recipes where you have different ‘solid’ ingredients that you need to ‘bind’ together, like bars.
I am not that good at converting high to low carb when it comes to baking. I was hoping for a rule of thumb for using it which you've kind of given me now.
Callieco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:11 AM   #305
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
Well don't you just love this site. I came here to ask the question and saw that Mad Amos had beat me to it..............So ya'll think that polyd and vitafiber work in the same way for recipes? I'm asking specifically about liquid VF and dry polyd.
If you wanted to replace liquid VF w/ polyd, would you use Scott's corn syrup recipe?
JJJ'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 11:17 AM   #306
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Yum Bonbon, that honeycomb looks great. But the working quickly part, if you want it to end up in clumps, could you not just break it later? Wonder how this would be w/ some graham cracker protein powder that I have? I'll have to try that first.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:16 PM   #307
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: OMAD
just a warning about the honeycomb. in his video he recommends nuking for two minutes. when i tried it, after one minute I had a total piece of charcoal. I would check every 20-30 seconds!
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:08 PM   #308
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Thks for the info Ouizoid, I'll make sure to do that.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:32 PM   #309
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ'sMom View Post
Well don't you just love this site. I came here to ask the question and saw that Mad Amos had beat me to it..............So ya'll think that polyd and vitafiber work in the same way for recipes? I'm asking specifically about liquid VF and dry polyd.
If you wanted to replace liquid VF w/ polyd, would you use Scott's corn syrup recipe?
Yes, I only used Scott's corn syrup recipe when it came to making pecan pies and such. Now I use vitafiber in place of it.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:57 AM   #310
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
Ouizoid, I had that same problem when I made the Vitafiber almond toffee. I guess the Vitafiber is very sensitive to different temperatures.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:35 AM   #311
alex_in_wonderland
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 205/185/140
WOE: LC/Experimenting w/ NK
Start Date: Jan 2012
Has anyone tried VF for LC icecream?

I'm wondering if it would help with "scoopability" - if that's a word
alex_in_wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:25 PM   #312
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, I make a very quick and easy ice cream using the Vitafiber liquid as one of the ingredients. It makes the ice cream smoother than it would be without it. I always make enough to eat the whole thing, so I don't know about scoopability.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:32 PM   #313
judytab
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Yes, I make a very quick and easy ice cream using the Vitafiber liquid as one of the ingredients. It makes the ice cream smoother than it would be without it. I always make enough to eat the whole thing, so I don't know about scoopability.
Recipe? Soobee, all your recipes come out so good, you can't just leave us hanging like that! TIA.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:43 AM   #314
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

This is so easy. I mix it in a measuring cup. Put all the ingredients in the ice cream maker and 18 minutes later you have ice cream. My ice cream maker has its own freezer, so the timing may be different for yours. I have noticed that once you stir the Vitafiber in with the other ingredients, it stays dispursed, so you could make the mixture ahead of time if you wanted. The cream to milk ratio is way less than other ice creams. That's because I always eat the whole thing, and I don't want to be eating more than 1/2 cup of cream per meal! But if you had a little willpower or you were sharing it with someone, you could change the ratio to 1 cup cream, 1/2 cup milk, which is closer to most other recipes. I like chocolate chips in my ice cream, so I throw a handful in the bottom of my serving bowl. I eat this stuff every other day.
Quick Ice Cream Soobee
½ cup cream
¼ cup Vitafiber liquid
1 cup almond milk, plain or vanilla
1 tsp vanilla
Sweetener to taste (about 1/3-1/2 cup’s worth)
Dash of salt
Put all ingredients in a measuring cup in the order given. Stir to distribute the Vitafiber. Put into your ice cream maker. For the sweetener, I use sucralose + neotane, both liquids. You can use any you like that will dissolve.

Last edited by Soobee; 08-26-2015 at 04:46 AM..
Old 08-26-2015, 08:58 AM   #315
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Soobee, can you tell us a little more about neotame? What do you use it in and where are you buying it from?
Old 08-26-2015, 12:28 PM   #316
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I ordered some powdered neotame and keep it dissolved in glycerine. It's very strong, so you only need 1/2 tsp per bottle to make 1/4 tsp = 1 cup sweetener. It's particularly good with ice cream and is pretty good as one of the sweeteners in chocolate. The expert here is Locarbman.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...hlight=neotame
Old 08-28-2015, 11:13 AM   #317
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the link Soobie! I cannot deal with sucralose and stevia is hit or miss, so I'm really looking for something with that sweetness punch. I'll read that thread over.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:43 AM   #318
Su11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Su11
Stats: Total loss- 65 (since Sept 05)
WOE: General lower carb- fructose limited
Wonderful thread! I've purchased both the liquid and the powder. I couldn't find if anyone here had done a comparison with the other liquid product. Does anyone know if the alternative really is different? It is called FiberYum I think.

"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." (Mae West)
"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." (Theodor Seuss Geisel, a.k.a. Dr. Seuss)

Last edited by Su11; 08-29-2015 at 07:47 AM..
Su11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:09 AM   #319
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: OMAD
I've tried fiberyum and vitafiber. eh, not a lot of difference. For whatever reason, I prefer vitafiber.
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 03:38 PM   #320
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

I don't know how long this has been going on but I just bought 15.8 lbs of VF liquid on Amazon for $100. Sounds like a lot but it's actually a decent savings. $2 cheaper per pound than the $22 bottle. This cost $6.3/lb whereas the small bottle cost $8.3/lb.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:41 PM   #321
susieqrn
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susieqrn
Stats: 221/181/130
WOE: moderate low carb JUDD
Start Date: January 2016
I am definitely ordering some of this stuff. It is perfect for my butter tarts!
susieqrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:49 AM   #322
stormdog
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: stormdog
Hello everyone. Love this forum. I'm a newbie, but I thought I'd add this recipe. It's amazing, and really low carb. Just got my bottle of vitafiber and had to try it. Love it.

Vanilla Ice cream: 16 - 1/2 cup servings

2 cups heavy whipping cream
2 cups half & half cream
3/4 cup vitafibre + 2 tbsp.
1/2 tsp xantham gum (optional but makes this creamy, and helps to emulsify fat to avoid globules)
1 tbsp vodka - eliminates crystal formation and keeps ice cream hard but scoopable for days
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp salt.

That's it. Blend this in a blender, then pour into your ice cream maker. makes 2 qt.

Nutrition info:
calories 167, total carbs 12, fibre 9, net carbs 3
stormdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:56 AM   #323
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Welcome stormdog! So exciting to have another VF experimenter on board. Your recipe looks great
Old 09-02-2015, 08:36 PM   #324
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

I believe it was Bonbon who posted about Sukrin Gold, they now have a fiber syrup, clear and golden. Looks to be much like VF and FiberYum. Just saw it on All Day I Dream about Food and Fluffy Chix. The golden syrup certainly looks good.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:32 PM   #325
stormdog
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: stormdog
Thanks Bonbon for such a nice welcome. Love this forum. I've already learned so much.
stormdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 05:35 PM   #326
magnamater
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: magnamater
Soobee, have you tried any of your protein powder ice creams with vitafiber? I'm desperate and on a soft diet waiting for dental surgery. Need protein, soft!
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:55 PM   #327
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormdog View Post
Thanks Bonbon for such a nice welcome. Love this forum. I've already learned so much.
I've learned a ton here too, it's amazing. I love the forum too! Hope to see more of your experiments and recipes
Old 10-18-2015, 08:44 AM   #328
dldickins
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dldickins
Stats: 309/277/125
WOE: HFLC, NK July 2014
Start Date: May 28, 2011. Restarted Jan 27, 2016
The Ultimate Brownie

I have been on a quest for the best LC brownie and I've found it! I found this recipe on David Lebovitz's blog called Helene's Brownies. What caught my eye was the addition of water and the extra eggs. I was also wanting to find a recipe where I could add my new purchase of Sukrin Gold Syrup to.

The brownies came out fantastic! They puffed up a little in the oven and the texture was moist and kind of mousse like after they'd cooled for an hour. After I refrigerated the brownies overnight and let them come to room temp, the brownie's texture were moist and fudgy--which is what I like. My changes/tweaks/thoughts are in parentheses.

The Ultimate Brownie
7 oz bittersweet chocolate (5 oz 90% Lindt chocolate), coarsely chopped
1/4 cup water
4 oz salted butter, cubed (5 oz salted butter)
1 cup sugar (3T Pyure, 3T Natural Mate-Sucralose, 4T Just Like Sugar, 1/2 pkt Sweet One, powdered)
(2 TBS Sukrin Gold Syrup) (Can use clear Vitafiber)
(1 tsp vanilla)

2 TBS flour (2T resistant corn starch, sifted)
4 large eggs, room temp
2 TBS almond flour
1/2 cup chopped toasted nuts or chocolate chips, optional

1. Preheat oven to 350F (180C) degrees.
2. Butter a 8-inch square pan then dust the bottom with cocoa powder, then tap out excess. (I lined my pan with parchment paper, overhanging the sides. then greased parchment with coconut oil spray.)
3. Combine sugar and flour together in small bowl; set aside.
4. In medium saucepan over low heat, melt butter, chocolate and water together, stirring constantly, until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in Sukrin Gold Syrup. (I heated the chocolate mixture in large bowl in 1,000 watt microwave for 1 min 30 sec, stirring every 30 sec)
5. Stir in sugar/flour mixture, then eggs, one by one, mixing well. Stir in vanilla.
6. Mix in almond flour and any nuts or chocolate chips if using, stirring well. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, until the center feels just...about...set. Err on the side of underbaked a little if you want a creamy center. (I baked my brownies in a countertop convection oven and they were done in 22 minutes). I suggest to watch closely after 20 minutes.
7. Let cool in pan before cutting into bars. If you used parchment to line the pan, just lift out before cutting.
Serves 12. Keep refrigerated or frozen. Let come to room temp to serve.
Storage: the brownies can be frozen for up to 2 months, if well wrapped. Because they are quite moist, they're somewhat fragile so pack carefully if you freeze them.
dldickins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 02:35 PM   #329
Lighthouse Fan
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lighthouse Fan
tagatose

I am neworking to LC and have seen tagatose in many of the recipes. What is it and where can I find it? Tried Amazon no joy. If I can'tell find it is there a substitute?
Lighthouse Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:46 PM   #330
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Tagatose is no longer being manufactured.