Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Forum Jump
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2015, 11:08 AM   #151
skeeter38
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 10
Gallery: skeeter38
Hey Judy - ask away!

I have been following a high fat/zero carb diet since March. Of course it is nearly impossible to eat zero carbs. However, since I lost the 15 lbs I was looking to lose, I thought I would add in more carbs.

Quick history:
I lost 25 lbs in 2003 over about 1 year when the Atkins diet had a resurgence. Ever since then, I have been eating relatively low carb to not put on the weight. I moved in with my folks to go back to school in 2009 and moved out in 2014, 20 lbs heavier. I went back to a low-carb diet and for the life of me couldn't figure out why it wasn't working (I only lost around 4 lbs after a month)

I started reading some blog and I can't remember which one and it was about a zero carb diet. (I think that might be the name of this woman's blog "my zero carb life") I started that on March 26th at 147lbs ( I am 5'1") and on June 3rd ( the next time I weighed) I was at 133 = I had lost 14 lbs. I now weigh 129 - the weight I was at before mom's cooking..

It could very well be that the reason I got so sick was that I consumed the entire batch of ice cream in 24 hours.. I am not very good with temptation... I have to keep my house free of carbs!

As far as the Truvia goes - you are correct - if I could attach a photo I could show you the label. It is a bag that says "Truvia baking blend" and it has 5 calories per 1/2 teaspoon and 2 carbs- 1 from the erythritol and 1 from sugars. The ingrediants are listed as erythritol, sugar, and stevia leaf extract. I think it takes just like sugar.
skeeter38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2015, 11:14 AM   #152
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!
 
JMCM1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,758
Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT + Fast Five
Start Date: June 2012
HA HA!
You sound like me - If I hadn't had trouble with portion control I'd never have been overweight in the first place!

Yes, that's a whole lot of fat in a short period of time, but it could also have been coupled with the introduction of erythritol.

Well done on your weight loss! Of course the closer to goal, the slower most of us lose.
__________________
Judy
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 05:55 PM   #153
Callieco
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 143
Gallery: Callieco
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 020110
I've been wanting to try this ice cream and finally got some vitafiber so I did some experimenting. I made 3 batches using Bonbon's recipe.

The first batch was the recipe pretty much as is. I did substitute sweeteners. I used truvia and Lo Han and regular milk for all 3 batches since it's what I had. I found the texture using the gums and the vitafiber to be kind of gummy but there were no ice crystals. Fairly scoopable but much more dense. Has a fairly creamy mouth feel but I didn't really care for the gummy, dense texture.

The second batch was made with vitafiber, omitting the gums. I only heated the milk until sweeteners dissolved. It is very scoopable, no gumminess but has a lot more ice crystals.

The third batch is something I've been wanting to try for a while. I used to make candy and still had a bottle of Invertase. If you're not familiar with it, this is the stuff that turns fondant into liquid - like in chocolate covered cherries. You only use a drop for like a pound of fondant. So I used a drop (literally) in this batch omitting both the gums and the vitafiber. It's just as scoopable as the one with vitafiber and I can't tell the difference between them. It also has the same amount of ice crystals.

I read somewhere that whipping your ice cream when it's frozen around the sides but not in the middle will give it the air to make it lighter like store bought and you'll have fewer ice crystals. I didn't try that but might next time.

Invertase is much less expensive than vitafiber which I'd rather use in other things so I think I will continue to experiment with it. I might add a tiny bit of the gums to see if that eliminates the ice crystals but I got a Dessert Bullet and it works pretty well to make a soft serve of various flavors.
Callieco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:27 AM   #154
dldickins
Senior LCF Member
 
dldickins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kansas
Posts: 135
Gallery: dldickins
Stats: 309/277/125
WOE: HFLC, NK July 2014
Start Date: May 28, 2011. Restarted Jan 27, 2016
Bonbon,

I'm getting ready to make a batch of your version of this ice cream. What is the sugar equivalent for the amount of 1 tsp stevia glycerite that you used? I still have some old Nunaturals liquid stevia with glycerin and 1/4 tsp is the equivalent of 1/3 cup sugar.

Also, I had some Isomalt and Just Like Sugar on hand, so I made my own "Vitafiber". I used KevinPA's recipe for Isomalt corn syrup (which is 3 parts isomalt and 1 part water). I did 1 1/2 parts Isomalt and Just Like Sugar. I combined the sweeteners and water and a pinch of salt, stirred until mixed, then microwaved on 50% power for 2 minutes, stirring halfway through. I let it cool then chilled in fridge. The texture is like a gel, it's not syrupy. I don't know if I cooked it too long? I'll let you know how this works when I make the ice cream later today.

Deb
dldickins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 03:18 AM   #155
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Soobee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,712
Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
dldickens, I'll be very interested in hearing about your results.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:43 AM   #156
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member
 
Bonbon41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Way out west near the ocean
Posts: 956
Gallery: Bonbon41
WOE: Low carb cake plan!
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by dldickins View Post
Bonbon,

I'm getting ready to make a batch of your version of this ice cream. What is the sugar equivalent for the amount of 1 tsp stevia glycerite that you used? I still have some old Nunaturals liquid stevia with glycerin and 1/4 tsp is the equivalent of 1/3 cup sugar.

Also, I had some Isomalt and Just Like Sugar on hand, so I made my own "Vitafiber". I used KevinPA's recipe for Isomalt corn syrup (which is 3 parts isomalt and 1 part water). I did 1 1/2 parts Isomalt and Just Like Sugar. I combined the sweeteners and water and a pinch of salt, stirred until mixed, then microwaved on 50% power for 2 minutes, stirring halfway through. I let it cool then chilled in fridge. The texture is like a gel, it's not syrupy. I don't know if I cooked it too long? I'll let you know how this works when I make the ice cream later today.

Deb
Some bold experimentation going on Deb! I'll be very curious to hear how this stands up to Vitafiber and how your ice cream turns out with this change.

I've searched the Internet high and low for some kind of sweetener equivalency for my Now stevia glycerite and have never been able to find anything. Sorry I really don't know. Interesting to see your info as I had no idea it was so powerful but actually it makes sense. I will say that my version is sweet - I have a sweet tooth! I've upped the sweetening power from the original recipe and its *almost* too sweet for me. I may reduce the sweetness in my next batch a bit.

Do be careful with how you add the gums, if you do use them. I'm pretty sure they can contribute to a gummy or slimy mouth feel if over-incorporated. I've had this happen to my gravy as well as ice cream!

Hope it all goes well. Look forward to hearing your report!
Bonbon41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:05 AM   #157
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member
 
Bonbon41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Way out west near the ocean
Posts: 956
Gallery: Bonbon41
WOE: Low carb cake plan!
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callieco View Post
I've been wanting to try this ice cream and finally got some vitafiber so I did some experimenting. I made 3 batches using Bonbon's recipe.

The first batch was the recipe pretty much as is. I did substitute sweeteners. I used truvia and Lo Han and regular milk for all 3 batches since it's what I had. I found the texture using the gums and the vitafiber to be kind of gummy but there were no ice crystals. Fairly scoopable but much more dense. Has a fairly creamy mouth feel but I didn't really care for the gummy, dense texture.

The second batch was made with vitafiber, omitting the gums. I only heated the milk until sweeteners dissolved. It is very scoopable, no gumminess but has a lot more ice crystals.

The third batch is something I've been wanting to try for a while. I used to make candy and still had a bottle of Invertase. If you're not familiar with it, this is the stuff that turns fondant into liquid - like in chocolate covered cherries. You only use a drop for like a pound of fondant. So I used a drop (literally) in this batch omitting both the gums and the vitafiber. It's just as scoopable as the one with vitafiber and I can't tell the difference between them. It also has the same amount of ice crystals.

I read somewhere that whipping your ice cream when it's frozen around the sides but not in the middle will give it the air to make it lighter like store bought and you'll have fewer ice crystals. I didn't try that but might next time.

Invertase is much less expensive than vitafiber which I'd rather use in other things so I think I will continue to experiment with it. I might add a tiny bit of the gums to see if that eliminates the ice crystals but I got a Dessert Bullet and it works pretty well to make a soft serve of various flavors.
As you see throughout the thread, the gumminess/slimness is an issue, but only for some. I think it has to do with how the gums are incorporated. I've had some slimy and gummy ice creams in the past and I believe it's overworking the gums (or using too much). I don't have this problem now that I treat the gums so delicately at the end of the process.

Interesting about the invertase. My understanding is that it breaks down sucrose into glucose and fructose, in the form of inverted liquid sugar. Makes sense that this would help keep ice cream made with regular sugar scoop-able. But strange that it would work with sugar subs! Strange, but good!
Bonbon41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:08 AM   #158
Callieco
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 143
Gallery: Callieco
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 020110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonbon41 View Post
Interesting about the invertase. My understanding is that it breaks down sucrose into glucose and fructose, in the form of inverted liquid sugar. Makes sense that this would help keep ice cream made with regular sugar scoop-able. But strange that it would work with sugar subs! Strange, but good!
Yes that's it and I really didn't think it was going to work but figured what the heck..give it a try. Can't say why it worked initially but it's day 5 now and the invertase batch has gotten much harder but not rock hard, I can still scoop it. The vitafiber batch is still just as scoopable as the first day - however the ice crystal thing is still the issue. Though running it through the dessert bullet eliminates that pretty much. I'm going to play around more, adding very small amounts of the gums to see if that helps but I'm super sensitive to slimy anything...can't even eat cooked squash
Callieco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:14 AM   #159
Callieco
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 143
Gallery: Callieco
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 020110
Quote:
Originally Posted by dldickins View Post

Also, I had some Isomalt and Just Like Sugar on hand, so I made my own "Vitafiber". I used KevinPA's recipe for Isomalt corn syrup (which is 3 parts isomalt and 1 part water). I did 1 1/2 parts Isomalt and Just Like Sugar. I combined the sweeteners and water and a pinch of salt, stirred until mixed, then microwaved on 50% power for 2 minutes, stirring halfway through. I let it cool then chilled in fridge. The texture is like a gel, it's not syrupy. I don't know if I cooked it too long? I'll let you know how this works when I make the ice cream later today.

Deb
I'm very curious about how this turns out too. I have a big jug of Isomalt and didn't know what I was going to do with it.

Deb, did you use the Just Like Sugar for it's specific ingredients or just extra sweetening?
Callieco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:15 AM   #160
dldickins
Senior LCF Member
 
dldickins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kansas
Posts: 135
Gallery: dldickins
Stats: 309/277/125
WOE: HFLC, NK July 2014
Start Date: May 28, 2011. Restarted Jan 27, 2016
I used Just Like Sugar because it supplies the oligosaccharide that's in Vitaber. You could use inulin or SweetPerfection instead. I like just like sugar because its sweetness is the equivalent to sugar. You could also used polydextrose, but then you would also have to add something else to substitute for the sweetness level.

HTH

Deb
dldickins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 02:00 PM   #161
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member
 
Bonbon41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Way out west near the ocean
Posts: 956
Gallery: Bonbon41
WOE: Low carb cake plan!
Start Date: 2001
Over-churning can cause gums to go slimy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callieco View Post
Yes that's it and I really didn't think it was going to work but figured what the heck..give it a try. Can't say why it worked initially but it's day 5 now and the invertase batch has gotten much harder but not rock hard, I can still scoop it. The vitafiber batch is still just as scoopable as the first day - however the ice crystal thing is still the issue. Though running it through the dessert bullet eliminates that pretty much. I'm going to play around more, adding very small amounts of the gums to see if that helps but I'm super sensitive to slimy anything...can't even eat cooked squash
Well if you do forge ahead experimenting with the gums, beware of over-churning. Even if you do sprinkle the gums in at the end, and whisk for only 10 seconds, if you then churn your ice cream for too long, the gums will get overworked and slimy or chewy.

Many people will follow the recipe or manufacturer's instructions but this is not a good idea. Only churn until you get a soft serve consistency and then get the ice cream into the freezer. I have two different machines - one instructs me to churn for 20 minutes, the other for 30. However, I get soft serve consistence in 10-15 minutes depending on the recipe. If I listened to the manufacturer, I'd be churning an extra 20 minutes and getting slimy and chewy ice cream - I did last year and I think it was from either overworking or over churning the gums.
Bonbon41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 04:10 PM   #162
dldickins
Senior LCF Member
 
dldickins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kansas
Posts: 135
Gallery: dldickins
Stats: 309/277/125
WOE: HFLC, NK July 2014
Start Date: May 28, 2011. Restarted Jan 27, 2016
I am in the process of making this ice cream at this moment (I'm taking a break to let things cool). It was hard trying to decide what kind to make. I've looked thru a few ice cream books for ideas and I realized that the original recipe for this ice cream is actually from Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream Book.

I wanted to make the Butter Pecan Ice Cream, or the Mocha Heath Bar Crunch or the Dastardly Mash....decisions, decisions! What I ultimately decided to make was Chocolate Almond Ice Cream because I had all of the ingredients on hand.

In the Butter Pecan recipe it has you brown 1 cup whole pecans in a stick of butter. Then strain out the pecans to cool and pour the melted pecan butter in a dish to cool. So I decided to do the same thing with 2/3 cup chopped almonds and 3 tablespoons butter and a pinch of salt. After I strained the chopped almonds, I poured the leftover butter in a dish. After the butter cooled a little bit I tasted it. It so yummy! It had a browned butter almond flavor. I couldn't waste that great flavor so I added it to the unsweetened chocolate before melting it.

The melted chocolate mixture and chopped almonds are cooling right now. After I get the ice cream mixture put together I'm going to chill it in the freezer for 30 minutes or so. That way I can churn it this evening. I'll let you know how it goes and post my recipe.

Deb
dldickins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 04:32 PM   #163
dldickins
Senior LCF Member
 
dldickins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kansas
Posts: 135
Gallery: dldickins
Stats: 309/277/125
WOE: HFLC, NK July 2014
Start Date: May 28, 2011. Restarted Jan 27, 2016
I couldn't wait so I decided to go ahead and post the recipe now. But I will still let you know how the ice cream turns out. I think this would be wonderful substituting chopped hazelnuts instead of chopped almonds.

Chocolate Ice Cream
Adapted from Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream Book

3 1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
1 cup milk (I used Kroger's Carbmaster LC 2% milk. Almond milk would probably work, too.)
2 large eggs (I used pasteurized)
1 cup sugar - see below**
1 cup heavy or whipping cream
1/8 teaspoon salt (don't add if making Chocolate Almond variation)
1/2 teaspoon instant espresso, optional
2 tablespoons vodka, optional
1 teaspoon vanilla extract*
1/8 teaspoon each Xanthan gum and Guar Gum

**Sugar substitute: 1/4 cup Vitafiber, 1/4 tsp Nunaturals alcohol free stevia liquid, 3/4 tsp glycerin, 8 to 12 drops Sweetzfree and 1/2 pkt Sweet One

1. Melt the unsweetened chocolate in the top of a double boiler over hot, not boiling, water. Gradually whisk in the milk and heat, stirring constantly, until smooth. Remove from the heat and let cool.
2. Whisk the eggs and Vitafiber in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in the rest of the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more. Add the cream, salt, instant espresso, vodka and vanilla and whisk to blend. Taste and adjust sweetness with Sweetzfree as needed. Add the gums and whisk to blend about 10 seconds.
3. Pour the chocolate mixture into the cream mixture and blend. Cover and refrigerate until cold, about 1 to 3 hours, depending on your refrigerator.
4. Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze to soft serve consistency, approximately 10-15 minutes.
Makes 1 quart

VARIATION: Chocolate Almond Ice Cream
Melt 3 tablespoons butter in heavy skillet over medium heat. Add 2/3 cup chopped almonds and pinch of salt. Saute, stirring constantly, until almonds start to turn light brown. Drain the butter into a small bowl and transfer the almonds to another bowl and let cool. Add melted butter to unsweetened chocolate. After the ice cream is almost to the soft serve stage add the almonds, then continue freezing until you get a soft serve ice cream consistency .

Deb

Last edited by dldickins; 07-27-2015 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: typo
dldickins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:31 PM   #164
dldickins
Senior LCF Member
 
dldickins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kansas
Posts: 135
Gallery: dldickins
Stats: 309/277/125
WOE: HFLC, NK July 2014
Start Date: May 28, 2011. Restarted Jan 27, 2016
The Chocolate Almond Ice Cream came out pretty good. It's more like milk chocolate than dark chocolate. The texture is good, not chewy, but seems a little "elasticy". I don't know how else to describe it but it's barely noticeable. I used 12 drops of sweetzfree and when I tasted the mix I thought it was too sweet. But now that the ice cream has "ripened" in the freezer, the sweetness level is fine.

The homemade vitafiber I believe worked but I didn't realize until I made this ice cream that the isomalt and Just Like Sugar weren't dissolved, but the ice cream wasn't gritty. If I made the homemade vitafiber again, I would either cook it longer or melt the sweeteners by themselves before adding the water.

Thanks BonBon41 for all of your suggestions.

Deb
dldickins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:13 PM   #165
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member
 
Bonbon41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Way out west near the ocean
Posts: 956
Gallery: Bonbon41
WOE: Low carb cake plan!
Start Date: 2001
Deb, I'm so glad it turned out! And I can't help but wonder where the slight elastic quality comes from. Anyway, your recipe looks yummy and I really like the browned butter almond idea (I'm a browned butter nut). Hoping you like the ice cream enough to make it again. It would be great to continue to experiment with making various flavors!

I'm trying to decide what my first flavor will be. It's a toss up between strawberry cheesecake, using cream cheese in the base, and a butter pecan. For the butter pecan, I was thinking of using a browned butter, maybe some brown sugar and a pecan vitafiber brittle for crunch.

Hope your chocolate stays nice and scoopable for tomorrow's ice cream enjoyment
Bonbon41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:05 PM   #166
dldickins
Senior LCF Member
 
dldickins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kansas
Posts: 135
Gallery: dldickins
Stats: 309/277/125
WOE: HFLC, NK July 2014
Start Date: May 28, 2011. Restarted Jan 27, 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonbon41 View Post
Deb, I'm so glad it turned out! And I can't help but wonder where the slight elastic quality comes from. Anyway, your recipe looks yummy and I really like the browned butter almond idea (I'm a browned butter nut). Hoping you like the ice cream enough to make it again. It would be great to continue to experiment with making various flavors!

I'm trying to decide what my first flavor will be. It's a toss up between strawberry cheesecake, using cream cheese in the base, and a butter pecan. For the butter pecan, I was thinking of using a browned butter, maybe some brown sugar and a pecan vitafiber brittle for crunch.

Hope your chocolate stays nice and scoopable for tomorrow's ice cream enjoyment
By "elasticy" I meant when I was scooping the ice cream mixture out of the freezing canister, it would have a bit of stretchy tail. But's been so long since I've made homemade ice cream that maybe that's normal.

I am going to now make a Bourbon Maple Pecan Ice Cream I'm cobbling together. I'm going to use the base recipe from Jeni Britton Bauer's ice cream book that doesn't use any eggs. She uses cream cheese and cornstarch instead so I will have to do some adapting for the cornstarch.

Since the ice cream has been frozen for over a day, it was hard as a rock! I had to let it soften for about 20 minutes before I could scoop it and it was a little crumbly. But it tasted good! I drizzled some of my homemade hot fudge sauce on it, too.
dldickins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:49 AM   #167
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member
 
Bonbon41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Way out west near the ocean
Posts: 956
Gallery: Bonbon41
WOE: Low carb cake plan!
Start Date: 2001
I don't think it's normal Deb, well not in my experience anyway. My guess is that the culprit is the uncooked egg whites. They are a pretty stretchy and elastic-y substance and I don't think you cooked yours out, if I recall.

I didn't have this quality to mine but I did a simple step to cook the mixture. What I liked about this is that is what like a quick cheat version of a custard. The ice cream tasted like it was made from a custard base but I didn't have to do all the custard making work. My kind of cheating
Bonbon41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:45 AM   #168
dldickins
Senior LCF Member
 
dldickins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kansas
Posts: 135
Gallery: dldickins
Stats: 309/277/125
WOE: HFLC, NK July 2014
Start Date: May 28, 2011. Restarted Jan 27, 2016
You're probably right Bonbon. I didn't think about the egg whites. I think I will make the Bourbon Maple Pecan ice cream this weekend and follow your cooking directions. I hate the flavor of cooked egg yolk in custard and was trying to avoid that. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Deb
dldickins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:13 AM   #169
PaminKY
Major LCF Poster!
 
PaminKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,237
Gallery: PaminKY
I haven't read all the new posts in this thread yet but was glad to see new activity. Romo's recipe is the original recipe I started out using and I made a bunch of batches experimenting with different things until I came up with a really good version of sugar-free ice cream. I was very interested in the use of Invertase since I do have some of that that I bought to use in candy making but never did use, I just really didn't know enough about it and was hesitatant to use it but I might try it now.

Here is my current recipe that I shared in another thread that I have copied here

ICE CREAM BASE RECIPE

Wet ingredients mixed together:

2 cups heavy cream, Kolona
1 cup milk, Horizon Organic Whole
2 large pasteurized eggs, beaten
2 tbs glycerin, NOW brand
2 tsps vanilla

Dry ingredients mixed together:

1/2 cup powdered Steviva,
1/8 tsp white stevia extract powder, KAL (without the added maltodextrin)
1/2 tsp xanthan gum, Bob's Red Mill
1 tsp arrowroot powder, Bob's Red Mill

Whisk the dry into the wet and pour into ice cream maker.

The vanilla bean was delicious and still spoonable last night. I used the base above but the night before I mixed the cream and milk together and threw in two whole vanilla beans and let them soak overnight. The next morning I sliced them open and scraped out the innards and I also added about 1/2 tsp of vanilla bean paste. I have better results if I make my mix and immediately pour into the machine. I've not been happy with any batches that I mixed up before and refrigerated for a while before pouring into machine. I have read that you should never add the starch/thickeners until right before pouring into ice cream maker.

I've read a lot of stuff about ice cream making and bought a bunch of books and try to use some tips here or there but most just don't work with sugar-free recipes so it's just try and try again. The funny thing about the arrowroot powder was it was actually a mistake. I had read Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream cookbook and she uses tapioca starch and that's what I was going to use, although I had tried it before and wasn't pleased but I thought I would try again, it seem to give ice cream a kind of stretchy texture. I mis-remembered the ingredient and I used the arrowroot instead. Didn't realize my mistake until I was looking back over my notes but now I'm glad, it really does work well and a tsp is only between 2 or 3 carbs.

For maple nut I added 2 tsps Frontier maple flavoring to wet ingredients and then when ice cream was almost done I poured in 1/2 cup toasted chopped pecans.

I store it in a rectangular 37oz Lock N Lock container that is the perfect size for this recipe. It fills it to the top and I put a piece of parchment on top before I put the lid on. Put container near the top of freezer (side-by-side fridge) for about two hours for a quick freeze to prevent ice crystals and then put in plastic ziploc bag and move to bottom shelf on door. I always return the container to the ziploc bag and store on the door bottom shelf.

I've also found that some brands of milk and cream don't work as well as others. I'm currently using Kolona heavy cream and Horizon organic whole milk and they work well.

I've also used many different type of gum including glucomannan, guar, gum arabic, xanthan gum and some others I can't remember the names of and while in most cases I prefer glucomannan to the others in ice cream I prefer xanthan.

Last edited by PaminKY; 08-04-2015 at 11:24 AM..
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:59 AM   #170
niccofive
Way too much time on my hands!
 
niccofive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: East Coast
Posts: 10,479
Gallery: niccofive
Stats: lost 65 lbs. / in maintenance
WOE: Low Carb my way, for maintenance
Start Date: Oct 2014
Great recipe! Thanks!
__________________
Leeann

My journal:
Zigging When I was Supposed to Zag- Figuring Out Maintenance a Day at a Time
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.
"..as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others."
niccofive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 04:37 PM   #171
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member
 
Bonbon41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Way out west near the ocean
Posts: 956
Gallery: Bonbon41
WOE: Low carb cake plan!
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post
I haven't read all the new posts in this thread yet but was glad to see new activity. Romo's recipe is the original recipe I started out using and I made a bunch of batches experimenting with different things until I came up with a really good version of sugar-free ice cream. I was very interested in the use of Invertase since I do have some of that that I bought to use in candy making but never did use, I just really didn't know enough about it and was hesitatant to use it but I might try it now.

Here is my current recipe that I shared in another thread that I have copied here

ICE CREAM BASE RECIPE

Wet ingredients mixed together:

2 cups heavy cream, Kolona
1 cup milk, Horizon Organic Whole
2 large pasteurized eggs, beaten
2 tbs glycerin, NOW brand
2 tsps vanilla

Dry ingredients mixed together:

1/2 cup powdered Steviva,
1/8 tsp white stevia extract powder, KAL (without the added maltodextrin)
1/2 tsp xanthan gum, Bob's Red Mill
1 tsp arrowroot powder, Bob's Red Mill

Whisk the dry into the wet and pour into ice cream maker.

The vanilla bean was delicious and still spoonable last night. I used the base above but the night before I mixed the cream and milk together and threw in two whole vanilla beans and let them soak overnight. The next morning I sliced them open and scraped out the innards and I also added about 1/2 tsp of vanilla bean paste. I have better results if I make my mix and immediately pour into the machine. I've not been happy with any batches that I mixed up before and refrigerated for a while before pouring into machine. I have read that you should never add the starch/thickeners until right before pouring into ice cream maker.

I've read a lot of stuff about ice cream making and bought a bunch of books and try to use some tips here or there but most just don't work with sugar-free recipes so it's just try and try again. The funny thing about the arrowroot powder was it was actually a mistake. I had read Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream cookbook and she uses tapioca starch and that's what I was going to use, although I had tried it before and wasn't pleased but I thought I would try again, it seem to give ice cream a kind of stretchy texture. I mis-remembered the ingredient and I used the arrowroot instead. Didn't realize my mistake until I was looking back over my notes but now I'm glad, it really does work well and a tsp is only between 2 or 3 carbs.

For maple nut I added 2 tsps Frontier maple flavoring to wet ingredients and then when ice cream was almost done I poured in 1/2 cup toasted chopped pecans.

I store it in a rectangular 37oz Lock N Lock container that is the perfect size for this recipe. It fills it to the top and I put a piece of parchment on top before I put the lid on. Put container near the top of freezer (side-by-side fridge) for about two hours for a quick freeze to prevent ice crystals and then put in plastic ziploc bag and move to bottom shelf on door. I always return the container to the ziploc bag and store on the door bottom shelf.

I've also found that some brands of milk and cream don't work as well as others. I'm currently using Kolona heavy cream and Horizon organic whole milk and they work well.

I've also used many different type of gum including glucomannan, guar, gum arabic, xanthan gum and some others I can't remember the names of and while in most cases I prefer glucomannan to the others in ice cream I prefer xanthan.
Thanks for sharing your version Pam! I'm with you on the glucomannan preference - I was about to start experimenting with it in ice cream, but perhaps I'll give that a pass. Can I ask what your experience of gluc in ice cream was like?

Also, I've started to see more arrowroot showing up in other ice cream recipes, so that was a good mistake. Interesting, I wonder what the effect of this is. When I saw it listed in the recipes, I feared a bit of grainy-ness, especially the recipe I saw put 1-2 tbsp in.
Bonbon41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:09 AM   #172
Callieco
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 143
Gallery: Callieco
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 020110
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post
I was very interested in the use of Invertase since I do have some of that that I bought to use in candy making but never did use, I just really didn't know enough about it and was hesitatant to use it but I might try it now.
Pam I'll be curious to see how yours comes out if you do use the invertase. I also had it from my old candy making days. I wanted to use it since one bottle seems like it lasts a lifetime. I literally used a single drop for 1/2 the recipe and for the first 2 or 3 days the ice cream was very scoopable - how much that had to do with invertase I don't know. Next time I'm going to add more. I didn't use gums or anything else so it was promising - but - ice crystals.

It's been 3 weeks now and it's gotten a lot harder but I can still scoop it. Not rock hard like the stuff I used to make. I didn't process my ice cream in the ice cream maker either so I think that contributed to the ice crystals.

Is the arrowroot just for thickening? Does it help make smaller ice crystals?

I've made regular custard base ice cream before that came out super creamy by skipping the machine, mixing everything together in my mixer bowl, freezing the mixture until sides were frozen and center still loose but cool. Then whipped the heck out it to get as much air into it as possible and put it back in the freezer. It turned out so creamy. Not sure how it would work with sugar free but going to give it a shot.
Callieco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:25 AM   #173
PaminKY
Major LCF Poster!
 
PaminKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,237
Gallery: PaminKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonbon41 View Post
Thanks for sharing your version Pam! I'm with you on the glucomannan preference - I was about to start experimenting with it in ice cream, but perhaps I'll give that a pass. Can I ask what your experience of gluc in ice cream was like?

Also, I've started to see more arrowroot showing up in other ice cream recipes, so that was a good mistake. Interesting, I wonder what the effect of this is. When I saw it listed in the recipes, I feared a bit of grainy-ness, especially the recipe I saw put 1-2 tbsp in.
When I tried the gluc I got that weird kind of sticky mouthfeel that I really don't like. I have found that whenever I use gluc with milk-based recipes I get that mouthfeel, even with small amounts. My husband didn't seem to mind it and still ate that batch but he'll pretty much eat anything except brussell sprouts.

I prefer gluc over other gums 99.9% of the time but not for ice cream.

I only used a tsp of arrowroot but there was no graininess detectable.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:34 AM   #174
PaminKY
Major LCF Poster!
 
PaminKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,237
Gallery: PaminKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callieco View Post
Pam I'll be curious to see how yours comes out if you do use the invertase. I also had it from my old candy making days. I wanted to use it since one bottle seems like it lasts a lifetime. I literally used a single drop for 1/2 the recipe and for the first 2 or 3 days the ice cream was very scoopable - how much that had to do with invertase I don't know. Next time I'm going to add more. I didn't use gums or anything else so it was promising - but - ice crystals.

It's been 3 weeks now and it's gotten a lot harder but I can still scoop it. Not rock hard like the stuff I used to make. I didn't process my ice cream in the ice cream maker either so I think that contributed to the ice crystals.

Is the arrowroot just for thickening? Does it help make smaller ice crystals?

I've made regular custard base ice cream before that came out super creamy by skipping the machine, mixing everything together in my mixer bowl, freezing the mixture until sides were frozen and center still loose but cool. Then whipped the heck out it to get as much air into it as possible and put it back in the freezer. It turned out so creamy. Not sure how it would work with sugar free but going to give it a shot.


I always use an ice cream maker and my favorite one is the Cuisinart Ice30. The churning in the freezer bowl helps reduce ice crystals as does the gums. The gums in this application are more for that than for thickening and I always add the gums to the dry ingredients and then mix with the wet right before adding to the machine. I did try adding the gums and letting it set overnight and wasn't pleased with that experiment.

Also a quick freeze right after putting the ice cream into a freezer container helps reduce ice crystals as well as filling the container all the way to the top. I try to fill my lock-n-lock all the way up and then press a piece of parchment paper on top and down into any indentions left to get rid of air pockets (I let the parchment overhang the container and then just lock the lid down over it) and then place as close to the top of the freezer section as possible for at least two hours. I wish I had a blast chiller in my house but alas I do not. I then put it in the ziploc bag and move it to the bottom shelf of the door.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:53 AM   #175
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member
 
Bonbon41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Way out west near the ocean
Posts: 956
Gallery: Bonbon41
WOE: Low carb cake plan!
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post
When I tried the gluc I got that weird kind of sticky mouthfeel that I really don't like. I have found that whenever I use gluc with milk-based recipes I get that mouthfeel, even with small amounts. My husband didn't seem to mind it and still ate that batch but he'll pretty much eat anything except brussell sprouts.

I prefer gluc over other gums 99.9% of the time but not for ice cream.

I only used a tsp of arrowroot but there was no graininess detectable.
Thanks for the info Pam. I think I'll skip the gluc ice cream experimentation! I tried one batch before your post and it didn't go well so I'll go no further with that. Funny, because like you , I've had such great results with gluc in other areas.

Also, very good idea about not adding the gums until churning time. I've read not to mix them for more than 10 seconds before chilling, not to overchurn them, etc., but this is another good idea that I'll add into the anti-gumming agenda!
Bonbon41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:59 AM   #176
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!
 
CarolynF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Kansas
Posts: 15,110
Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/157/145
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Bumping for summer
__________________
Springing into Fitness

153
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:39 AM   #177
parrotchic
Senior LCF Member
 
parrotchic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 213
Gallery: parrotchic
Thanks CarolynF, I was just thinking about this thread last night. I was trying to remember ingredients and if I had everything. Making some today, lol.
parrotchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:05 PM   #178
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!
 
CarolynF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Kansas
Posts: 15,110
Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/157/145
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Parrot: I just made some and left out the gum. Did put in glycerine and used 3 cups of heavy cream/sweetener/2 eggs/vanilla. I just put the ingredients in my blender on low
__________________
Springing into Fitness

153
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:45 AM   #179
parrotchic
Senior LCF Member
 
parrotchic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 213
Gallery: parrotchic
Ok, thanks Carolyn. I didn't get any made yet, lol. I just got to busy visiting with family, had lots of catching up to do. I was wondering if anyone has tried adding arrowroot powder? I was reading online that some use it to keep the icecream from being hard when frozen. Thanks
parrotchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:52 AM   #180
PaminKY
Major LCF Poster!
 
PaminKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,237
Gallery: PaminKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotchic View Post
Ok, thanks Carolyn. I didn't get any made yet, lol. I just got to busy visiting with family, had lots of catching up to do. I was wondering if anyone has tried adding arrowroot powder? I was reading online that some use it to keep the icecream from being hard when frozen. Thanks
Check out the recipe I use on Post #169, I do use arrowroot.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:17 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2017 Netrition, Inc. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Netrition, Inc.