Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 10-29-2008, 08:04 AM   #31
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
I dunno, Bees - they might be kinda dense - what I DO make is NancyElle's Crispy Pizza Crust recipe in my muffin tops - check out her thread if you're interested!

But let me know if you try it with the waffle batter! It might just work great!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2008, 08:22 AM   #32
dazygyrl
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dazygyrl
thanks, i'll let you know...just curious...why would it be dense in the pans, but not when cooked as a waffle?
dazygyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:42 AM   #33
Charski
Gadget Gal

Because in a muffin top pan, you won't have the "holes" that the waffle iron makes, which keeps them lighter in texture. But I'll be very interested to hear the outcome! Heck they might be "the next best thing" who knows!

Old 10-29-2008, 10:41 AM   #34
BikerAng
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
This is my FAVORITE recipe - in fact I'm going to be making them in about 10 minutes! Even people who would gag if you TOLD them they were low-carb think these are excellent waffles!

"BettyR's Amazing Waffles

Preheat your waffle iron.

1 8 oz. package cream cheese, cubed
3 eggs
2 pkt. Splenda
1 tsp. or pkt. Stevia Plus
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup vital wheat gluten
1 tsp. cider vinegar
1/4 cup cream
1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese

Put all ingredients into a food processor; process until smooth. Open processor and scrape down the sides with a spatula, then process another 60 seconds. The batter will be VERY thick - do NOT thin it down!

Place a heaping tablespoon (the kind you eat cereal with, not a measuring spoon) of batter into each waffle section of the iron and cook as you would regular waffles.

Makes 7 large waffles, approx. 3.6 carbs each

You can reduce the calories by using part-skim ricotta cheese in place of cream cheese and Hood's LC milk in place of the cream, if you like."

I don't bother to put the sweetener in because we use the leftovers like bread for sandwiches.

Also I've used all kinds of shredded cheese in these, whatever I have on hand. Even the Trader Joe's 3 cheese blend is really good! You don't taste the cheese (unless you used something very strong) and it works fine if you're not in possession of mozzarella at the moment.
Charski - I made these waffles and they are OUTSTANDING! DH couldn't believe they were low carb. I think these are just as good if not better than the high carb version. I made Belgian waffles and this batter made 6. They were soft on the inside and crunchy outside, so so good! SUPER filling too, I could barely eat 1. DH can wolf down 3 or more high carb waffles easily and he was done after 1. I'm going to freeze the rest. I think these would be so good as a base for strawberry short cake too. Making them into buns is a great idea, I may play with that too (I have the small wilton cake pans and loaf pans, if I try this I'll post back how they turned out). Thanks for such a wonderful recipe!!
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:42 PM   #35
oneoftwo
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oneoftwo
Stats: 142/142/125 5'3.5"
WOE: Atkins
BettyR's Amazing Waffles

I made these tonight and they were great but it was alot of batter just for me, can it be put in the fridge? If so for how long do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
This is my FAVORITE recipe - in fact I'm going to be making them in about 10 minutes! Even people who would gag if you TOLD them they were low-carb think these are excellent waffles!

"BettyR's Amazing Waffles

Preheat your waffle iron.

1 8 oz. package cream cheese, cubed
3 eggs
2 pkt. Splenda
1 tsp. or pkt. Stevia Plus
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup vital wheat gluten
1 tsp. cider vinegar
1/4 cup cream
1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese

Put all ingredients into a food processor; process until smooth. Open processor and scrape down the sides with a spatula, then process another 60 seconds. The batter will be VERY thick - do NOT thin it down!

Place a heaping tablespoon (the kind you eat cereal with, not a measuring spoon) of batter into each waffle section of the iron and cook as you would regular waffles.

Makes 7 large waffles, approx. 3.6 carbs each

You can reduce the calories by using part-skim ricotta cheese in place of cream cheese and Hood's LC milk in place of the cream, if you like."

I don't bother to put the sweetener in because we use the leftovers like bread for sandwiches.

Also I've used all kinds of shredded cheese in these, whatever I have on hand. Even the Trader Joe's 3 cheese blend is really good! You don't taste the cheese (unless you used something very strong) and it works fine if you're not in possession of mozzarella at the moment.
oneoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:40 PM   #36
Charski
Gadget Gal

I've never refrigerated the batter - but I've made up all the waffles and then refrigerated THEM. They last a good week in a ziploc bag, and I've also frozen them, just pop into the toaster to reheat.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:41 PM   #37
Jake
Not Jake

Gallery: Jake
WOE: Plain old Atkins
Start Date: 8/22/1973
I hear the one minute muffin mix does well on a waffle iron. Haven't tried it yet though.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:42 PM   #38
Charski
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerAng View Post
Charski - I made these waffles and they are OUTSTANDING! DH couldn't believe they were low carb. I think these are just as good if not better than the high carb version. I made Belgian waffles and this batter made 6. They were soft on the inside and crunchy outside, so so good! SUPER filling too, I could barely eat 1. DH can wolf down 3 or more high carb waffles easily and he was done after 1. I'm going to freeze the rest. I think these would be so good as a base for strawberry short cake too. Making them into buns is a great idea, I may play with that too (I have the small wilton cake pans and loaf pans, if I try this I'll post back how they turned out). Thanks for such a wonderful recipe!!
Thanks go to BettyR - I haven't "seen" her in here in ages though. But yeah, it IS a wonderful recipe, and I think of her every time I make them!

I think I mentioned this earlier, but my Mom, who is the antithesis of LC (not that she disagrees with it necessarily, she is just a sugar-eating junkie) LOVES these and often asks me to make them for her.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:33 AM   #39
Panda120
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Panda120
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May, 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellief View Post
any cream cheese free recipes or thoughts??
sub avocado for cream cheese
Panda120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:31 PM   #40
tea cup
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tea cup
Stats: 152/121 5'2" 68yrs old
WOE: low carb, fast 5, grain free
I made Charski's waffle recipe and they are fantastic. I only added 1 tsp of splenda because I wanted to use the leftovers for sandwiches. The sandwiches are great as well. i froze the rest.

tea cup
tea cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 06:43 AM   #41
dazygyrl
Major LCF Poster!

could somone post the numbers for the entire recipe of BettyR's? i'm getting 4.33 carbs per waffle with mydailyplate. would someone else who is familiar with the dailyplate have time to enter the recipe to see if i did it right? i'd alo like to see the comparison to ******...i'm ****** challenged.

thanks!
Old 11-01-2008, 08:53 AM   #42
Charski
Gadget Gal

Carrie, this is the original thread - in it, Betty says she got 3.6 carbs per 7 large waffles!

Not sure what she used to get that number.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...b-waffles.html

Old 11-01-2008, 10:01 AM   #43
dazygyrl
Major LCF Poster!

thanks!

i think it's the gluten that's making the carb count higher as the original recipe does not use gluten.

i wonder how it taste with a blend of flax and oat fiber. may try that next time.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:06 AM   #44
Charski
Gadget Gal

Personally I'm not the world's biggest fan of flax but I bet it would work - I might try raw wheat bran, or you could do Carbquik or Carbalose flour probably too - any number of iterations would be possible!

Keep this thread going if you try something different - I'll post if I do likewise!

Old 11-02-2008, 11:34 AM   #45
Ann Lytle
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ann Lytle
Betty R's Amazing Waffles

I made these this morning in a Toastmaster Waffle Maker. I loved the flavor, the best of any I have tried, the problem was they were very thin. The tops didn't hit high enough to get brown, they needed to be a tad thicker I had trouble getting out. Any ideas of what I might add to not change the flavor, but make them a little thicker so they would rise a little higher?

I did let the batter sit while the waffle maker was getting hot, maybe I should have let it sit longer? Ann
Ann Lytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:46 PM   #46
BikerAng
Major LCF Poster!

I made these in a Belgin waffle maker and they rose really well, and crisped up - they were really, really good. How old is your baking powder, that would really effect the rise of these. I usually buy the little cans and buy new ones every 6 months.

Was your batter really thick? Mine was so thick I had to scrape it off the spoon with my finger.

Last edited by BikerAng; 11-02-2008 at 12:47 PM..
Old 11-02-2008, 01:04 PM   #47
Charski
Gadget Gal

What Ang says - the batter should be very thick, between cake and cookie dough - not QUITE as stiff as cookie dough but certainly not as runny as cake batter!

I use a small ice cream scooper to get the batter into each well - I'd say it holds like a heaping tablespoon. Perhaps you didn't get ENOUGH batter into each waffle section?

And yeah, I'd sure check that BP too - whenever I open a new can, I use a permanent marker to put the date on the bottom of the can, and I replace it every 6 months.

Old 11-02-2008, 01:31 PM   #48
Ann Lytle
Senior LCF Member

I just bought the baking powder two weeks ago and the batter wasn't that thick, I had to shake the spoon a little to get if off. The second batch I added extra batter, it did a little better but not much, bottom got brown, but not the tops. I measured everything, used lg. eggs maybe I should buy Med? Ann
Old 11-02-2008, 01:51 PM   #49
Charski
Gadget Gal

I use Super Jumbos!

Did you preheat your waffle iron for at least 5 minutes?

Old 11-03-2008, 04:54 AM   #50
Ann Lytle
Senior LCF Member

The iron was smoking, not sure about exact time. I just had a thought, I don't have a food processor, so softened the cream cheese in the microwave and whisked it, would that be the problem? Really want to figure this out, the flavor was so good. Ann
Old 11-03-2008, 07:36 AM   #51
Charski
Gadget Gal

Well, that might be a problem too - the variables are too many to say for sure though!

The batter should literally stand up in the spoon and you need a HEAPING spoonful of it - enough to fill the well.

I wish I could be right there to help you!

Old 11-03-2008, 08:22 AM   #52
BikerAng
Major LCF Poster!

I think the food processor is pretty necessary for this recipe to incorporate all the ingredients (there are no chunks, it's smooth and thick almost like high carb frosting consistency). It really fluffs up the batter too. I'm no expert though, and have only made these 1 time! I'm not sure what else you could try, were there chunks of mozzerella in your batter? Maybe you could mince up the mozzerella with a knife (so the chunks are smaller) and use beaters to mix it all up really well?
Old 11-03-2008, 10:06 AM   #53
Ann Lytle
Senior LCF Member

I wish you were here to Charski and thank you too Biker. I don't know if the cheese needed to be chopped up finer, but will try that, time to make sure the iron sits 5 min. and mix next time with mixer and not put the cream cheese in the microwave. Thanks so much for all your tips and effort trying to help me. Ann
Old 11-03-2008, 10:16 AM   #54
Charski
Gadget Gal

Ann, do you have a blender, or even a stick (immersion) blender? I think either of those would work fine on this recipe!

Old 11-03-2008, 10:20 AM   #55
shadowzip
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shadowzip
WOE: M & E/Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2005
I made them yesterday with an immersion blender. They were Perfectly smooth.

I always use my immersion blender for the cream cheese and egg yolks in my oopsies.
shadowzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:55 AM   #56
KellBell1234
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KellBell1234
Yum! There are some really good ideas in here. Just marking my spot so I can reference for future use

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2008, 02:48 PM   #57
Ann Lytle
Senior LCF Member

I have an old VitaMix, Charski, it's so big and bulky to get out. I don't have a stick blender almost bought one awhile back, I might go ahead and get one now just for your waffles. I'd probably use it for other things too, but the waffles are beckoning to me. Grin. Will let you know if I ever get them down pat. Thanks again. Ann
Old 11-03-2008, 03:57 PM   #58
Charski
Gadget Gal

Ah, the old VitaMix! Is it one with the chrome container? I had the Maxi 4000 Plus, I think it was - loved that thing but it was so heavy - finally got a new 5000 a year or so ago and I love it!

Well I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, girlfriend....

Old 11-03-2008, 07:48 PM   #59
dazygyrl
Major LCF Poster!

i made a batch tonight just to have in the fridge. instead of vital wheat gluten, i used 1/4 golden flax meal and 1/4 c carbquick. turned out great! one hting i noticed is the batter seemed more fluid that when using just the VWG. know why that would be? they were good none the less.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:00 PM   #60
Charski
Gadget Gal

I would guess because the VWG would absorb more of the liquid, whereas flax ADDS moisture to the mix.