Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 04-11-2017, 06:00 AM   #31
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I never 'felt' any change with T4 (Synthroid), but that takes 6-8 weeks to take effect in the body, and the improvement is so gradual that I don't think it's unusual to not notice any difference. When I reflected, I realized that my crushing fatigue was gone--but I had gone undiagnosed for so long that I had some really severe symptoms. If symptoms are not overwhelming, it wouldn't be too unusual not to notice any change at all.

But with Cytomel (T3), I felt a dramatic change, but that's because my T3 was so very low. I had incredible fatigue and rapid weight gain, and the Cytomel 'stopped' all that within 48 hours.

Didn't you have symptoms prior to taking T3 that the Rx improved?

As you point out, the improvement in your lab numbers indicates that the Rx are working, even if you don't 'notice.'
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2017, 04:42 AM   #32
vanilla_latte
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: LC/IF/JUDDD
Start Date: Which time?
No symptoms other than inability to lose weight and thinning hair. That was it and those two remain, although with fasting I am beginning to see some weight loss. Almost twenty pounds since last summer, but that's been so slow that I have to triple check my ticker down there to make sure! Agreed that the lab numbers show the meds are working, though.

vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:12 AM   #33
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I hate to say this, but thyroid Rx don't 'cause' weight loss. Supposedly, they only 'level the playing field' and allow a person to lose weight. But in my experience, once you're hypothyroid, the metabolism is always slowed slightly so that weight loss is slower.

To lose, I not only ate very low carb but had to watch every calorie because my needs were so much less (hypo and post menopause).

Worse, when my hormones are 'off' (as happened when I had conversion problems), I will not only rapidly gain weight, but when I finally get a 'corrective' dosage, I have to lose those pounds as slowly as any other. I'd assumed they'd just drop off--but that isn't what happens.

That's one of the reasons I weigh almost daily these days. If I get a sudden, unexpected gain, I know it's my thyroid, and I can get some help before I gain too much. The last time this happened, I had to eat no more than 500 cal a day for the week until I could get labs, see my endo, and get Rx in order to keep from gaining.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:43 AM   #34
vanilla_latte
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: LC/IF/JUDDD
Start Date: Which time?
I only hoped it might help in losing weight. After years of being told that my thyroid was normal, I had hopes that once I found I was hypothyroid, the meds might make it less hard to lose weight. That hasn't been the case. Fasting and eating LCHF seems to the be the thing that might work, but even that is slow.

vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:06 AM   #35
Avocat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avocat
Stats: 234/197/170
WOE: LC/HF + IF
Start Date: November 14, 2014
I haven't read all the responses but I'd like to pass along some information that you folks may find interesting. In doing some research about natural dessicated thyroid I came across the website for the National Academy of Hypothyroidism (literally, just search for that, you're in the right place if the site has an orange and blue bar across the top). ANYWAY, go to topics and read the one that's called "Why doesn't my Endocrinologist know all of this?" Heavy but informative, explains a LOT and why TSH is really essentially a useless benchmark.

My HRT doc put me on Armour based on extremely low but within range labs and other symptoms. I've been religious about how I take it, and my numbers have changed with this month's 6 month tests. I've been feeling blah and sleeping more. Apparently Armour has been acquired and reformulated as of Sept. 2015 and some patients are not doing well on it. It's been sneaking up on me for a while now. She switched me to NatureThyroid and I absolutely notice the difference.

Oh, and BTW, my TSH has been as low as 0.15, and she's like "that's great." With the recent test it was 0.39 so creeping up. My GP is totally befuddled but I'm going to print the article for her to explain my HRT doc's reasoning.

TL;DR: TSH is bullpuckey. Your thyroid can test normal and you can still have massive thyroid problems. Thyroid treatment is extremely individual, no two people necessarily respond to the same med with predictable results.
"The reason we are scared of cholesterol and fat has to do with the fact that there are drugs to lower cholesterol [$29 BILLION/year industry] and 50 percent of what we grow in America is now either corn or soy, which can easily be manufactured into low-fat products." Dr. Cate Shanahan (from "Cholesterol Clarity" by J. Moore & E. Westman)
Avocat is offline   Reply With Quote