Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 04-20-2017, 01:56 PM   #31
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
Stats: Low carb for blood sugar control
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baricat View Post

I used Sharon's Carbquik bread recipe. I thought of a strong possibility last night for the underwhelming rise. She never mentions the size of the loaf pan she used. I used the standard 9"x5". I will try it the next time in and 8.5"x4.5" and see if that helps. That was probably the size she used. If a dough has use up most of its capital filling the pan, aka a horizontal rise, which always happens first, it won't have much energy left then to rise vertically.

--Cat
Yes, I use pyrex 8.5" x 4.5" pans. I tried it in the larger pans and it didn't rise enough for me either!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2017, 05:54 PM   #32
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/118/135 Start:size 22, now size 0-2.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 10 years.
Hi, Sharon! And thank you for weighing in on this.

It would appear that I nailed the source of the problem, albeit after the fact. It's the size of the pan! Thought that might be the culprit. The reason I felt that was the factor was process of elimination. It had plenty of air pockets,indicating the dough had proofed properly. The texture was light with a tender crumb, so everything worked the way it should. It just had to be the pan size.

The next time I make it, I'll use the smaller loaf pan, and I'll just bet it will be beauty contest worthy! I'm a newcomer here, so I can't post pictures yet, but I will be sure to come back here and let you know how the next effort goes.

And yes, I LOVE YOUR RECIPE!! The very first low carb bread that actually tasted like bread, and not some bizarre mutation thereof. It is awesome all on its own (but a pat or two of Kerrygold catapults it into the stratosphere,) and it made some phenomenal stuffing today. My hat's off to you.
Baricat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:07 AM   #33
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwertz View Post
Yes, I use pyrex 8.5" x 4.5" pans. I tried it in the larger pans and it didn't rise enough for me either!
Sharon, a thing of beauty is, indeed, a joy forever.

I only wish you could see the ridiculously gorgeous loaf that's coming out of my oven in about 5 minutes!! The pan size made all the difference. This loaf is impressively tall with an appealingly golden crust. And we already know how it's going to taste.

Color me ECSTATIC!!!

--Cat

Last edited by Baricat; 04-21-2017 at 11:08 AM..
Old 04-21-2017, 08:39 PM   #34
LindaSL
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LindaSL
WOE: Just LC (carb counter)
Start Date: May 2011
Baricat, sorry for the delay in replying to your query about the waffle recipe. Unfortunately our sweet kitty passed away Wednesday. Needless to say my mind was elsewhere these past few days. Regarding the waffle: It is the crispiest waffle we've found to date, and we don't taste the cheese at all. The cheese is the binder. Many people on here love that recipe--I encourage you to give it a try. Congrats on your big loaf of bread!
LindaSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 06:52 AM   #35
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Oh, Linda, my heart goes out to you. Been in that position before, so I can empathize. Take especially good care of yourself.

Thank you for the info on the waffles. I'm going to be making them this week,based on you description. Thank you, again!
Old 04-22-2017, 08:54 AM   #36
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
Stats: Low carb for blood sugar control
Thank YOU Baricat for pointing out that I forgot to include the pan size in the recipe.