Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 04-20-2017, 02:56 PM   #31
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
Stats: Low carb for blood sugar control
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baricat View Post

I used Sharon's Carbquik bread recipe. I thought of a strong possibility last night for the underwhelming rise. She never mentions the size of the loaf pan she used. I used the standard 9"x5". I will try it the next time in and 8.5"x4.5" and see if that helps. That was probably the size she used. If a dough has use up most of its capital filling the pan, aka a horizontal rise, which always happens first, it won't have much energy left then to rise vertically.

--Cat
Yes, I use pyrex 8.5" x 4.5" pans. I tried it in the larger pans and it didn't rise enough for me either!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2017, 06:54 PM   #32
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/116/135 Start:size 22, now size 0.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 10 years.
Hi, Sharon! And thank you for weighing in on this.

It would appear that I nailed the source of the problem, albeit after the fact. It's the size of the pan! Thought that might be the culprit. The reason I felt that was the factor was process of elimination. It had plenty of air pockets,indicating the dough had proofed properly. The texture was light with a tender crumb, so everything worked the way it should. It just had to be the pan size.

The next time I make it, I'll use the smaller loaf pan, and I'll just bet it will be beauty contest worthy! I'm a newcomer here, so I can't post pictures yet, but I will be sure to come back here and let you know how the next effort goes.

And yes, I LOVE YOUR RECIPE!! The very first low carb bread that actually tasted like bread, and not some bizarre mutation thereof. It is awesome all on its own (but a pat or two of Kerrygold catapults it into the stratosphere,) and it made some phenomenal stuffing today. My hat's off to you.
Baricat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:07 PM   #33
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwertz View Post
Yes, I use pyrex 8.5" x 4.5" pans. I tried it in the larger pans and it didn't rise enough for me either!
Sharon, a thing of beauty is, indeed, a joy forever.

I only wish you could see the ridiculously gorgeous loaf that's coming out of my oven in about 5 minutes!! The pan size made all the difference. This loaf is impressively tall with an appealingly golden crust. And we already know how it's going to taste.

Color me ECSTATIC!!!

--Cat

Last edited by Baricat; 04-21-2017 at 12:08 PM..
Old 04-21-2017, 09:39 PM   #34
LindaSL
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LindaSL
WOE: Just LC (carb counter)
Start Date: May 2011
Baricat, sorry for the delay in replying to your query about the waffle recipe. Unfortunately our sweet kitty passed away Wednesday. Needless to say my mind was elsewhere these past few days. Regarding the waffle: It is the crispiest waffle we've found to date, and we don't taste the cheese at all. The cheese is the binder. Many people on here love that recipe--I encourage you to give it a try. Congrats on your big loaf of bread!
LindaSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:52 AM   #35
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Oh, Linda, my heart goes out to you. Been in that position before, so I can empathize. Take especially good care of yourself.

Thank you for the info on the waffles. I'm going to be making them this week,based on you description. Thank you, again!
Old 04-22-2017, 09:54 AM   #36
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
Stats: Low carb for blood sugar control
Thank YOU Baricat for pointing out that I forgot to include the pan size in the recipe.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:12 PM   #37
ranchqueen
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ranchqueen
Using Flour Mix

Can Your flour mix (below) be used 1:1 replacement in regular recipes for AP Flour?

Here is the flour mix I use

1 cup LC Cabalose cake or cookie flour mix

1/2 cup carbalose
1/4 cup wheat protein isolate 5000
1 Tbs wheat protein isolate 8000
1/8 cup almond flour
1 Tbs resistant Corn starch
1 tsp glucomannan powder
ranchqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 03:49 PM   #38
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

The short answer is: it's complicated. It's rarely ever a straight 1:1 replacement without other ramifications. How much exactly depends on what recipe and what application. And in many instances, it isn't an appropriate sub at all, as in the case of a roux, for example.

Although it stands in for AP flour in some respects, there are adjustments that often must be made to liquid amounts, fat amounts and leavening. There are no blanket rules to give you in order to consistently ensure successful translation. Those who do convert HC baked goods to low carb often end up having good tries and unsuccessful ones before they find the right blend of ingredients. You know the old adage: 1/10 inspiration, 9/10 perspiration!

This forum, however, is an excellent source of great recipes by folks who already have done the legwork and suffered the failures. When just starting out working with unfamiliar ingredients like you'll find here, it's often best to stick with recipes from this forum that have been tried and reported on. Well, that is unless you don't mind wasting numerous ingredients, hours of time, and beaucoup $$ with the inevitable countless failures along the way.

I'm a former professional chef, and when I got here, I quickly learned that I needed to throw out everything I had learned up until then about baking, and recognize I was a stranger in a strange land. A kindergartener among Ph.Ds. It was hard to believe just how much I didn't know! There are folks on here who know so much more than I can ever hope to know.

Now that I've worked with many of the products pretty exhaustively, however, I have a much better handle on their respective properties, so failures are, thankfully, much less common than at the start. But it took months of experimentation and feeding my trash can so much that it hurt, with all those expensive designer ingredients. The first thing I learned? Don't try to sub out a major ingredient with its perceived LC counterpart and expect resounding success.

Take your time to look through past threads and try some of the well-received recipes. You, too, will gain knowledge and confidence about some of the more esoteric products that you can apply to other recipes, and perhaps make close approximations to HC concoctions.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:54 PM   #39
ranchqueen
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the encouragement and information. I came to this forum through a desperate search for alternatives from almond and coconut flour. I love to bake and cook for people but my LC/Keto recipes using almond and/or coconut flour have been disappointing. I'm anxious to get my ingredients from Netrition to try this blend and have already saved several recipes to try with it. I have also purchased Lupin flour (because of another thread I found) to try in place of almond flour or to atleast reduce the amount of almond flour in recipes. (Too much almond flour tends to not agree with me.)
Old 11-18-2017, 06:21 PM   #40
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Ranchqueen, then you're going to be really pleased. Kevin's flour mix works well in many recipes. I just made up a big batch today. It's always on hand here. Recently I posted a recipe for microwave pumpkin cupcakes using that mix that are awesome, in moistness, flavor and texture. With some cream cheese frosting, they could fool a confirmed HC'er.

I'm with you. I'm so over recipes that only use almond flour, coconut flour, or a combo. So many blogs are one-trick ponies. But here, you'll find many really good options from which to choose. You're going to have such fun on your journey of discovery!
Old 11-18-2017, 08:13 PM   #41
SunnyKsGirl
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SunnyKsGirl
Stats: 155/149/134 5'5"
WOE: Eat Fat Get Thin
Start Date: June 2016
I love Kevin's flour mixes, and tend to use the Cake & Cookie mix to replace AP flour, with no bad results so far. I keep a big batch of both Cake & Cookie mix on hand, and also his Bread mix, which I use less often.

Ranchqueen, I hesitated before buying all those "weird flours", etc., at netrition, but it has been VERY worthwhile. The baked results are so much better than the LC stuff I was baking before I stumbled onto Low Carb Friends.

Cat, do you use both of Kevin's blends, or just the Cake & Cookie mix? I know the Bread mix is less soft, more chewy, but I'd just as soon simplify. Which do you use in your Microwave Pumpkin Cupcake recipe? Also, have you done much with the Fantastic Flour mix? That looks like a whole 'nother kettle of fish; do I want to go there?

Last edited by SunnyKsGirl; 11-18-2017 at 08:18 PM..
SunnyKsGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:14 PM   #42
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Hey, Sunny! I use Kevin's final baking mix version, where the resistant wheat starch was Replaced with resistant corn starch 260. I'm not sure which one that is, or if it was intended for one or the other. From what I read in past posts, Kevin had been striving to get a mix that worked well across the board with all applications. I got the impression that that last one was supposed to work either for bread or for cakes/cookies. Sorry, I didn't pay all that much attention to which it is, or it there's even a differentiation. I just call it "Kevin's final baking mix." I use it for cakes, cookies, and breads.

And that is the one I used for the microwave cupcakes.

What I was trying to convey to ranchqueen was that it was a crapshoot if you started with a HC recipe for a baked item, and just subbed an equal measure of baking mix for the AP flour and expected it to turn out as well as the HC version, the results could be disappointing. Once you remove the wheat, the properties of how it hydrates and stays moist, the leavening and height, and general texture are all going to be impacted.

Sure, it might work, but chances are just as good or better that it won't. It would be like taking your favorite Hollandaise recipe and saying, "Well, I like the health properties of coconut oil, so I'm going to replace the butter with coconut oil." It might emulsify the same, but then, again, it might not become incorporated with as velvety a texture, and certainly it will taste very, very differently from the butter version.

Subbing is a very finicky process when it comes to baking. Baking is different from cooking, in that baking is a chemical process. Once you sub the main structural constituent, it's necessary to know the chemical properties of both. If they're comparable, it will work. If not, then all bets are off. Failing that info, you're left with the choice of experimentation. Some experiments bear fruit, others end up in the garbage.

Recently, someone wrote about using the new sweetener, BochaSweet, in royal icing. I'm sure she thought that since it tastes very close to sugar, subbing would work. Evidently, it didn't. That's because whereas BochaSweet tastes like sugar, chemically, it's very different. Since sugar is the main structural component of royal icing, and it's been replaced, there's a pretty good chance the results won't be as anticipated.

I just don't want to see someone who is starting out with LC to get discouraged by thinking you can just replace conventional ingredients with equal amounts LC ones, and then for her item consequently not to turn out. The cost of LC baking is off the charts, so tolerance for failure is limited for most people. Caution about subs is a good thîng until you have a pretty good grasp on how certain ingredients behave. Armed with that knowledge, you can have higher expectations of successful subbing. How do you get that knowledge as soon as possible? By working with the products, meaning by baking tried-and-true recipes. Then, you acquire knowledge AND success. Sweet!

Oh, and as for the Fantastic Flour Mix, I've never used it, because I didn't have egg white powder, one of the few arcane items I have actually failed to buy so far. But I have some on order, and when I get it, I'm going to whip up a batch and try a few of the recipes on that thread. Will report when I do.

Last edited by Baricat; 11-18-2017 at 09:21 PM..
Old 11-18-2017, 10:52 PM   #43
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
Baricat, did you ever try Jenn Eloff's flour mix? I used Kevin's for the first yr or so and now use Jenn's. I actually like both equally, I just happen to mix up Jenn's now.
JJJ'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:54 AM   #44
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ'sMom View Post
Baricat, did you ever try Jenn Eloff's flour mix? I used Kevin's for the first yr or so and now use Jenn's. I actually like both equally, I just happen to mix up Jenn's now.
Nah, that's another one I haven't gotten around to trying yet. I haven't been baking a lot in the recent past, nor will I be much in the near future, as we are moving around the first of the year. So all I've really had time to do was experiment with Kevin's so far. When I go on a research bender, I don't tend to skip around. I try to learn everything I can about one thing before I try the next. If I skip around contemporaneously, it tends to confuse me!

...unless there's a new kid on the product block, like a BochaSweet. Then, all bets are off!
Old 11-20-2017, 02:32 PM   #45
ranchqueen
Junior LCF Member

Thanks! I'm looking forward to it too!
Old 11-21-2017, 12:03 AM   #46
LindaSL
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LindaSL
WOE: Just LC (carb counter)
Start Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchqueen View Post
Can Your flour mix (below) be used 1:1 replacement in regular recipes for AP Flour?

Here is the flour mix I use

1 cup LC Cabalose cake or cookie flour mix

1/2 cup carbalose
1/4 cup wheat protein isolate 5000
1 Tbs wheat protein isolate 8000
1/8 cup almond flour
1 Tbs resistant Corn starch
1 tsp glucomannan powder

I would say....maybe. I have used this blend (as adjusted to account for change in WPI 5000) for several years. I use it primarily to make buns and pizza dough. The other day, I used it to make LC crescent rolls for Thanksgiving. I use Kevin’s pita bread recipe for the buns. I also use it to make his final white bread recipe, which make a loaf quite suitable for making bread crumbs.

I have used this blend to make LC versions of a streusel cake and of a chocolate Kailua cake. It worked just fine for the streusel cake, but it was a bit denser than the original. The chocolate Kahlua cake was very tasty and moist, but it didn’t rise very well. In contrast, I also made the latter cake with one of Jenn Eloff’s flour blends. It rose beautifully, but then it developed a very hard surface after it cooled. So you just don’t know how things will work out.

Because experiments are costly and I lack the time to do a lot of them, I do take advantage of the wisdom of others. I have multiple flour blends on hand (5 right now, I think) for different applications and I rely on tried and true recipes that much smarter people here have developed. I have also applied the knowledge that Kevin shared (ie the wonders of WPI) to tweak one of Jen Eloff’s bread recipes in order to develop one that worked for me. So, ranchqueen, take your time. The LC WOE is a long but fun journey.
LindaSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:58 PM   #47
That Girl
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
I haven't had a chance to read all the way thru this thread yet, but I always added Vanilla to anything I made with Carbquik or Carbalose. It seemed to lessen the tang from those flours. I'm talking a good dose of vanilla....I also wanted to add I used Kevin's pita recipe to make pretzels too. They were good, not quite like a real pretzel but good enough for me. More of a soft pretzel...I added jalopenos, topped some with sesame, poppy seeds....they were good!