Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 11-18-2016, 02:55 PM   #61
tmartinell
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tmartinell
Yay!

I have been looking at the philips air fryer for like two years now, and I finally bit the bullet. I called it a birthday/christmas gift to myself. I am going to try it out tomorrow night and make some fried fish. I will post up and let you all know how it goes.

Tony
tmartinell is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2016, 04:18 PM   #62
Pam
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/148/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmartinell View Post
I have been looking at the philips air fryer for like two years now, and I finally bit the bullet. I called it a birthday/christmas gift to myself. I am going to try it out tomorrow night and make some fried fish. I will post up and let you all know how it goes.

Tony
Please do..... Tony
Old 01-08-2017, 02:42 PM   #63
sunset
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sunset
My birthday is coming up and I really want a air fryer but I am sure dh will say we do not need one and it will end up where all the other gadgets are in the basement. I am thinking about asking my mother to get it for me.

Do you all still use your air fryers? What do you cook in it besides chicken and burgers? There are 3 of us (dh, my mother and I) would I be better off getting the largest one available? Thanks for your help.
sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:59 AM   #64
tulipsandroses
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
I use mine all the time. At least once a week. I use it for fried chicken,fried porkchops, hot dogs, chicken fried steak, fried cheese, when I have low carb bread, I've made grilled cheese in it as well as meatballs. My son uses it for french fries and onion rings.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 01:13 PM   #65
millergirl1976
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 165.0/139.6/135<- 28in waist
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: 1/4/16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulipsandroses View Post
I use mine all the time. At least once a week. I use it for fried chicken,fried porkchops, hot dogs, chicken fried steak, fried cheese, when I have low carb bread, I've made grilled cheese in it as well as meatballs. My son uses it for french fries and onion rings.
Say what?? Can you please explain?

Fitness - If it came in a bottle, everybody would have a great body.
- Cher
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 01:26 PM   #66
PaminKY
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PaminKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishLit View Post
I just made a very soggy batch of wings in the oven and was so frustrated when I had to throw them in the deep fryer, doubling the calories I planned for dinner! Luckily I had them to spare, but I wanted some ice cream for dessert. :-(

I'm so tempted to hop on Amazon and buy one of these right now.

I was reading this thread to see the reviews and telling myself I really don't need another appliance and just wanted to let you know how I fix the best wings in the oven.

I've combined some recipes hints and suggestions and I will buy a couple big packages of wings, cut off the tips and save for later and then separate the other sections. I then parboil them in a mixture of water and chicken broth for about 7-8 minutes (I use one of those collapsible basket things, works great), drain them the layer in a single layer on a tray lined with paper towels and put uncovered in the fridge overnight or up to 24 hrs. The next day I heat the oven to 400-450 degrees, line a cookie sheet with non-stick aluminum foil and put a single layer of wings on it, season as desired and put in the oven for around 15-20 minutes, flip over and cook for another 5 minutes or until brown and crispy. Some I will dip in buffalo sauce afterwards but we like them also with just the seasonings on them.

The parboiling removes some of the fat which can make them soggy and putting them in the fridge helps to dry them out.

Takes a little work but works great and you can make a big batch at a time. I also save the broth and after we finish eating them up I put the bones and the saved tips in there with some veggies and some seasonings and make some great broth.

Last edited by PaminKY; 01-10-2017 at 01:27 PM..
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:03 AM   #67
tulipsandroses
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by millergirl1976 View Post
Say what?? Can you please explain?
I slather butter on the insides and outsides of the bread - put my cheese in the middle and put in the air fryer until its as crispy as I want it to be.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:05 AM   #68
tulipsandroses
Major LCF Poster!

I haven't done it in a while but I made eggrolls in it as well using Mama Lupe's wraps.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:45 PM   #69
Bracelet
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bracelet
I finally broke down and purchased an air fryer. If anyone is interested, even if you didn't purchase a Philips brand fryer, you can still Google Philips Airfryer Recipe Book and download it for free. Looks like a very good recipe book, a heck of a lot better than the one that came with my fryer.
Bracelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:27 AM   #70
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Thanks for the tip, Bracelet. I will download it.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:58 AM   #71
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
Okay, I have the new Philips Air Fryer in my Amazon cart! I've joined a few Facebook food and weight loss groups, and they find the air fryer to be invaluable so I'm hopping on the bandwagon.

Just one question--do you use any accessories with yours? I'm just wondering if the grill pan is worth it.
EnglishLit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:16 AM   #72
mgreene
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mgreene
I would say no to the grill pan. The holes in the bottom are not large enough to let grease out and heat thru. I thought it would be great for fish fillets but they were soggy on the bottom.

A piece of foil on the regular grate with fork holes in it will do the same thing.

Mike
mgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:22 AM   #73
jbatchelor
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/176/148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
I used the airfryer for pork tenderloins--I did an experiment with three different breading--one was lupin flour..one was resistant corn starch which is great for chicken...and one was a breading I used for fish--It is 2 cups of oat fiber with 1/2 cup cornmeal--so the DH liked the lupin flour best and I liked the fish breading--they were all good though...I haven't used mine much except for chicken so I need to try more things--I did try asparagus spears dusted with one of those above-can't remember now--I cooked it too long trying to get it to crisp up...I am in the learning phase for sure..

Jeanne

“It’s in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.” ~Anthony Robbins

Last edited by jbatchelor; 04-06-2017 at 04:24 AM..
jbatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:39 PM   #74
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Lupin flour made incredible regular fried chicken for me, so I'm excited to use it in the air fryer.
I splurged and bought the Avance last night, and it almost kept me up last night! As much as it cost, I better love it!
Old 04-16-2017, 09:00 PM   #75
Izzysdream
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Izzysdream
Stats: prednisone 209 (5'7") age 59
WOE: LC
Start Date: 2/25/17
I'm so excited! I just bought it off HSN for 159 the turbo model. Five-month flex pays of $32 👍
Izzysdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:53 PM   #76
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

I love my airfryer, I've used it every day since I got it last week! Even heating foods up versus using the microwave is better.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:54 PM   #77
Happy Bubbles
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Happy Bubbles
My son gave me the Wal-Mart one for Christmas and I absolutely love it! Frozen chicken wings crispy in 25-30 minutes - perfect! My DH loves breakfast sausage patties and I hate cooking them so I tried them in the air fryer. Can only get 4-5 at a time and they smoke a bit so I do them outside on the patio. They come out perfect! Just like fried - crispy on the outside but juicy inside. I think I do them about 30 minutes if I recall. I've done pork chops and coconut shrimp and bratworst. The brats get nice and brown and the skin is crisp so you get that good "snap" when you bite into them. This one probably won't last as long as the more expensive ones and when it goes I wouldn't hesitate to buy a more expensive one. I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but clean up is a breeze.
Happy Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote