Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 04-15-2017, 01:01 PM   #1
RexsreineSC
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RexsreineSC
WOE: LC, lower fat, higher protein
Start Date: off and on for ten years
Out of cream cheese? Try sour cream trick

Did not feel like fighting the crowd at the grocery store today, but needed some cream cheese. Had two containers of sour cream in fridge.

Remembering that I always do the same "draining" trick with ricotta (so lasagna won't be watery and fall apart) decided to try the same on sour cream.

Very simple: Lay down several layers of paper towels (or could use a clean tea towel, folded up) on counter. Spread out the container of sour cream rather thinly on the towels. Place a couple more layers of paper towels on top. Put a cookie sheet on top of paper towels and place a heavy weight - I used a bowl full of water; could use cans or heavy pot - on top of the whole thing. Let sit a half hour or so. You can repeat this process again for a thicker spread. Result is very similar to cream cheese.

I use Breakstone's sour cream as it's my favorite grocery store brand in my area. Use whichever brand you like.

This works for sure in cold applications for cream cheese. Have NOT yet tried it in hot. Commercial cream cheese contains a lot gums and stabilizers which is why it doesn't curdle when you use it to thicken a sauce. I suspect drained sour cream would have to be added carefully off the heat to use in a sauce.

Hope this helps someone!

Ginny in SC
RexsreineSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2017, 07:30 PM   #2
Barbo
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/145/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Good idea. I use it to make Greek yogurt and to drain my ricotta.