Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 03-25-2017, 10:21 AM   #1
SunnyKsGirl
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SunnyKsGirl
Stats: 155/149/134 5'5"
WOE: Low Carb & Low Calorie
Start Date: June 2016
Crackers, crackers

My name should be "Polly"...I want a basic cracker! No matter how hard I try, I've been unable to convince myself that salsa or hummus tastes just as good on a carrot stick or raw cauliflower...blick!

I've tried many recipes (I'll spare you the cauliflower Doritos which my dogs think are just fine) - but today I found just what I was looking for: a very crisp, mild flavored saltine that I can make quickly.

The trick is I was able to run it through my Atlas pasta roller; if you have a pasta press, it is SO much easier (and fun!) to roll out crackers very thin, and very even.

Actually, I have two successful cracker stories to tell: The first picture shows "Skeeter Crackers", based on a variant of SkeeterN's cheesy bread stick recipe. I want to tweak that a bit before I post a recipe, but they turned out crisp and tasty. They have a lot of various spices and garlic, and I also wanted something more bland. I found a saltine recipe on cooks.com, and made it using Kevinpa's Bread Flour Mix to replace the white flour...that was the only change! Several of the comments suggested using a pasta roller, and the dough is the right consistency to do that. The result is low carb, low calorie, but a believable "high carb" flavor...bring on the salsa!

LC Saltines
2 c. flour - Kevinpa's Bread Flour Mix
1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 c. milk - I used unsweetened Westsoy
2 tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp. baking soda

Combine the dry ingredients, cut in the butter, then stir in the milk. Round into a ball and knead for few strokes. Divide dough into several pieces and roll out very thin on a floured board. Lay sheets on ungreased cookie sheet. Sprinkle with salt and prick with a fork. Cut into 1 1/2 inch squares with a sharp knife or pizza cutter. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned.

In the last picture showing them baked, the browner strip in the middle I rolled out to a "5" on my Atlas machine and all the others I rolled out to "4" (which is thicker). Moving forward, I'll always set it to "5".

"Skeeters" - this recipe is off to a good start in my test kitchens

LC Saltines - This pan represents 1/2 recipe

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2017, 10:48 AM   #2
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
Looks good!

If I might make a suggestion - it would be really helpful to either copy and paste Kevin's flour recipe that you used, or at least post a link to it, so people know which recipe you used and/or where to find it. Newbies aren't gonna have a clue how to find it and I'm too lazy to go look it up,

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:32 AM   #3
SunnyKsGirl
Senior LCF Member

Yes Char, good point.

I'm not sure how much many cups this one recipe makes, since I make 8x this amount to have on hand.

Kevinpa's Bread Flour Mix (from the Pita Bread experiment thread)

1 cup LC Cabalose cake or cookie flour mix (12 carbs)

1/2 cup carbalose
1/4 cup wheat protein isolate 5000
1 Tbs wheat protein isolate 8000
1/8 cup almond flour
1 Tbs resistant wheat starch 75
1 tsp not/Sugar - I use Thick it Up, as Not Sugar is no longer available
Old 03-25-2017, 11:35 AM   #4
Charski
Gadget Gal

Thanks!

Old 03-25-2017, 06:46 PM   #5
Barbo
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/145/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
The Kevin recipe looks like a winner. However, we are not eating wheat.
Sunny's I bet they were outstanding.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:25 AM   #6
SunnyKsGirl
Senior LCF Member

More Cracker Mania

This morning, DH & I agreed yesterday's crackers have a good taste, and are quite crisp...hmmm...okay, a bit "hard". So I googled the topic, getting some good tips from a foodie named Mark Bittman, and at his suggestion added more fat, and some Parmesan. I also used Kevinpa's Cake and Cookie Mix, which is exactly the same as his bread flour mix, except it uses Carbquik instead of carbalose, hence has more fat and lower carbs.

I mixed this batch in a food processor to form crumbs I could knead into a ball. The dough was a bit fragile - compared to yesterday's Playdough consistency - but still workable, and I ran it through the Atlas pasta roller on "5". My sheets always come out of the press with ragged edges, so today I trimmed them off, and was able to lay them out in a pretty continuous sheet on the pan. I took all the scraps and made one last "raggedy" strip.

They turned out MUCH improved...very crisp but tender. I can't really detect the parmesan, but I suspect it helps the texture.

Makes: 5 oz. crackers @ 147 calories & 1.4 carbs per oz.

LC Saltines
1 C. Kevinpa's Cake & Cookie Mix**
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. baking soda
1/2 oz. parmesan, green can
2 T. olive oil
1/4 C. milk (I used unsweetened Westsoy)

**Kevinpa's Cake & Cookie Mix
(makes 1 Cup)

1/2 cup carbquik
1/4 cup wheat protein isolate 5000
1 Tbs wheat protein isolate 8000
1/8 cup almond flour
1 Tbs resistant wheat starch 75
1 tsp Thick it Up
Old 03-26-2017, 10:00 AM   #7
Charski
Gadget Gal

Those are really pretty, Sunny!

Old 03-26-2017, 01:22 PM   #8
Tweaker Geek
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Those are really pretty and look crispy. I'm in need of some crackers and always have Kevin's flour mixes made up so I think I'll try a batch of these. Maybe tomorrow

2015--Recipe for Success: Plan! Certainty of Success: Follow Plan!
Note to self: Ya gotta stick with the plan!!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:56 PM   #9
CopperAnnette
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CopperAnnette
Stats: 160/138/130 5'3" 46
WOE: Modified Atkins
Start Date: April 2007
Your crackers look wonderful! We still try to avoid wheat, so good ol' flax crackers are still our go-to, after all these years. 1c ground flax, 1/3c parmesan, 1/2c water. Mix up, drop by teaspoon onto parchment. I have found a scoop that is just over a teaspoon, so I use that. Flatten with the bottom of a nice, flat glass (now I cover mine with plastic wrap to keep it from sticking). Lightly sprinkle with crunchy salt, and bake at 325 for 14 minutes, then leave in the oven until crisp...we often leave them overnight. You can season these, sprinkle with seeds (poppy, sesame, chia...), Use salt and pepper, etc. We love 'em! This recipe makes approx. 36 crackers.
CopperAnnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:23 AM   #10
SunnyKsGirl
Senior LCF Member

I'm glad to know Kevin's flours are still used...I'm new to LCF, and I didn't know if people were now just using Fantastic Flour, which is SO different. But I'm having good success with using Kevins flours now to replace flour in any recipe...so far so good!

BTW, the second batch I cooked at 375° for about 13 minutes. Its easy to burn, when they are this thin.

CA, thanks for the recipe, looks good (and easy)!
Old 03-29-2017, 11:57 AM   #11
cselzler
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cselzler
WOE: moderate carbs
I still use Kevin's flour mix too. But not for my favorite crackers. It is a cheese cracker that can be cheesy or bland depending on kind of cheese I use. For really cheesy flavor I use extra sharp. For bland I use a mild white cheese like mozzarella.

1 1/4 cup almond flour
1/8 t. Baking soda
1/8 t. Salt
1 cup shredded cheese
1 T. Butter
1 egg
Put everything in a food processor and process till dough forms. Roll out on parchment with a piece of parchment over the top till the dough is 1/8 inch thick. Dock the sheet and cut out with a square cookie cutter about 2 inches square. Put on a parchment lined double cookie sheet About 1/4 inch apart. Bake at 350 for 10 to 15 minutes till just beginning to brown around edges. Allow to cool before testing for crispness. They don't crisp up till cold. If they aren't crisp enough put back in oven for a minute or two and test again. Sometimes it takes a couple times back in the oven till I get them crisp enough for me without browning them. I like my crackers crisp but not brown.
cselzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:38 PM   #12
SunnyKsGirl
Senior LCF Member

I've been having a blast making crackers! 5 batches in the last 2 days, tweaking my recipes, AND technique. I found a much faster way to roll them out than my pasta roller: an adjustable height rolling pin, seriously. I went to Amazon to look for "dough roller", and discovered this wonderful rolling pin that you can set at 1/8", 1/6", 1/4" or 3/8". Less than $20, and no more guess work: thin, even dough. I roll it out on a Silpat under waxed paper, score it with a pizza roller and ruler, and lift the Silpat onto the baking sheet. 1/8" is my favorite for a very thin, crisp cracker; 1/6" is fine, too.

The operation is fast and fun, and my current 3 recipes are all based on Kevinpa's Cake & Cookie Mix, though I made a batch of saltines with his Bread mix - good, but higher carb. Below are my recipes showing just what I used, but I think the recipe is pretty darn flexible re: substitutions, and how much oil, or what type. I whisk together the dry ingredients than pour in the wet, mix with a spatula to form crumbs, than knead together with my hands to form a ball.

Cheezos 1/6" thick, baked 15 minutes 375°
1/2 C. Kevin's C&C Mix 55 gms
1/2 C. Almond flour 50 gms.
1/4 t. Baking soda
1 T. powdered egg white 5 gms.
1 T. Golden flax seed meal
2 T. Nutritional Yeast (optional)
1 oz. Parmesan (green can)
1/2 oz. shredded cheddar
1/4 C. milk - Westsoy unsweetened
2 T. Olive Oil

LC Saltines