Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 02-15-2014, 06:43 PM   #91
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
Wow, been a long time since any of us sous vide'rs posted here!

DH has commandeered both my DorkFoods sous vide controllers for beer brewing - which means I haven't cooked anything using the sous vide method in months! BUT I just ordered yet another controller, which I anticipate will be here next week sometime. I'm ready to get cookin' that way again - it works so well.

I'm gonna do some beef ribs first! I'll crisp them up in the oven after they've languished in their nice warm water bath most of the day.

Greybb, you still using yours? Anyone else using sous vide for LC cooking?

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2014, 04:32 PM   #92
Ozcook
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ozcook
Sous-Vide

I use the SV several times a week for LC dishes. I often cook from frozen and can't notice the difference.

I recently began using the SV for stir-fry dishes. Now, instead of frying the ingredients, I assemble them. I SV the chicken or beef, put the vegetables in a microwave dish, put the sauce in a microwave cup and after everything is cooked/warmed I just slice the meat and assemble the dish. It makes the most tender stir-fry. A bonus is that the leftovers are in much better condition than if cooked the conventional way.
Ozcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:38 PM   #93
Charski
Gadget Gal

Now that's a great idea!

Old 02-17-2014, 04:19 AM   #94
KCSoccer
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KCSoccer
Stats: maintenance
Start Date: August 2010
I'm still using my sous vide machine but haven't made anything new in it lately. I tried a leg of lamb recipe last month (cooked at 140 degrees for 24 hours) - it was medium-rare throughout, but mushy. I think 24 hours was way too long - next time I'll cook it for 10-12 hours. But I used the lamb in a tasty new dish, Lamb Biryani, (I posted the recipe on the BB.)

After tax season, I'll get to experiment more.
KCSoccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:30 PM   #95
greybb1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greybb1
Stats: 320/264.5/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Wow, been a long time since any of us sous vide'rs posted here!

DH has commandeered both my DorkFoods sous vide controllers for beer brewing - which means I haven't cooked anything using the sous vide method in months! BUT I just ordered yet another controller, which I anticipate will be here next week sometime. I'm ready to get cookin' that way again - it works so well.

I'm gonna do some beef ribs first! I'll crisp them up in the oven after they've languished in their nice warm water bath most of the day.

Greybb, you still using yours? Anyone else using sous vide for LC cooking?
Hi Char! I'm just about to pull my SousVide Supreme now that the weather is getting warmer. (It doesn't heat up the kitchen)

I'm thinking about getting a Dork Foods one and buying one of those electric roasters to cook ribs. The SVS is a little small for the amount I like to cook.
Don't you have a setup like that?
greybb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:41 PM   #96
Charski
Gadget Gal

I do. I have three of the DorkFoods controllers now (because DH keeps repurposing them for beer-brewing!) and I have two roaster ovens, one is 8 quart and the other 22 quart - they work GREAT for sous vide. I did buy the rack from the Sous Vide Supreme which fits into both roaster ovens. It's nice to keep things from floating to the top of the water bath.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:14 PM   #97
Jakelilydad
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
I know this is an old thread, but are people still using their SV cookers? I have an Anova Supreme (actually 2), and I really like it. As mentioned, amazing for cooking steak, but totally incredible for a chuck roast. For the Chuck, I seasoned it with salt and pepper, then put it in the bag with a few sprigs of fresh thyme, and several pats of sweet butter. 72 hours in the bath at 131 degrees, remove from the bag, dry off, and quickly sear the outside, either on a grill, with a frying pan, or a torch. The meat is evenly medium rare from edge to edge, and as tender as Prime Rib! Not bad for chuck.

Done some excellent fish too - salmon and halibut. Nice and juicy and just starting to flake. Yum!

I also use mine a lot for reheating leftovers. Set the water bath to the temp the food was originally cooked to, seal the food in a bag and toss into the bath. depending on how much you are reheating, in a half hour to 45 minutes it's ready, and never overcooked or dried out.
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:19 PM   #98
Charski
Gadget Gal

I still love mine too - they're so wonderful for so many things. Never thought to reheat but what a great idea!

Old 12-08-2016, 05:59 AM   #99
Dottie
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: ADF mostly Paleo
I've used mine twice and I hate it seriously.
It takes too long, takes up too much counter space for too long, and I haven't really found the taste/texture to be any better.
I did ribeyes and sirloins, and honestly it just wasn't "worth the wait".

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

Be sure to visit Netrition on Facebook for the latest products and deals!
https://www.facebook.com/Netritioncom-210889832433/

**Every day is up to you. You can choose for it to be a good day or a bad day.**
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:14 PM   #100
Charski
Gadget Gal

I don't bother with steaks in mine, since I like mine cooked rare anyway, I like ribeyes which are generally tender, and I don't think they benefit from the sous vide enough to get it all out and set up.

But I do love it for things which benefit from long low cooking - tri tip is excellent done in there, then quickly seared to caramelize the outside, and lots of other good stuff has come out of it since I've had it.

Old 12-10-2016, 12:15 AM   #101
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
Well Charski, I don't believe I knew that you had this type of sous vide, I tht you had one of the big things. I looked at the Dork Foods site but never could find instructions. Does this model just heat the water w/ the probe? I actually bought the Annova one on Black Friday, I remembered you talking about sous vide in another thread. I've read this whole thread and my question is.............if using a crock pot, does the crock pot plug into this sous vide?? The one I bought just fits on different containers, heats and moves the water. Certainly didn't realize the price of the Dork Foods one or I might have purchased much sooner.
JJJ'sMom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:31 AM   #102
Charski
Gadget Gal

The Dork Foods is simply a controller, not a heater/water circulator - which is why you can use it with ANY non-digital cooker, like a crock pot, roaster oven, heck we even use it with a seedling heating mat inside our picnic cooler to make yogurt!

I've really been tempted by the Annova but haven't gone there quite yet.

Yes, the crock pot plugs into the controller, then the controller into the wall, and the probe from the controller goes into the water in the crock pot to maintain the temperature. You do have to turn the device you're controlling ON and don't ask me how I know THAT, LOL! Only made that mistake once though.

For ME, using the Dork Foods controller with devices I already owned to use as the heat source/water bath works fine. We actually own three of those Dork Foods controllers - DH has commandeered two of them for beer-making purposes!

Old 12-10-2016, 08:04 PM   #103
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
Thks Charski, that was the idea that I was getting fr your postings earlier in the thread. It wouldn't have done me really any good to purchase that one then. W/ the Annova, which I haven't used yet, I like the fact that any container becomes a sous vide vessel. The clip thing enables you to put it on lots of things/containers. And the movement of water is a good thing. The Annova isn't terribly huge or heavy, I've seen people on the net posting about using their lg coolers when they have lg amts of food. I personally have several lg pots of varying sizes, that I'm sure they will be my go to vessels. Can't wait to try a huge pc of pork belly and some of the things you mentioned above, yum.
JJJ'sMom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:01 AM   #104
Charski
Gadget Gal

Yeah, that's why I'm still vacillating on the Anova - I'd love to be able to stick it in ANY vessel to use it! We'll see. Maybe Santa will bring me one!

Old 12-28-2016, 09:09 AM   #105
magnamater
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: magnamater
Hey, Charski, did Santa bring you the Anova? I haven't pulled the lever to buy yet!
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:17 AM   #106
Charski
Gadget Gal

Hi Janie!

No. After Dad's passing on 11/18, we just didn't do ANY Christmas shopping at all. So I'll wait and see what the next big sale brings and then decide.

Let me know if you go ahead with it!

Old 12-28-2016, 11:06 AM   #107
magnamater
Major LCF Poster!

Char, so sorry about you dad, I haven't visited here in forever. . .didnt know. Do they go on sale? The Anova?
Old 12-28-2016, 01:03 PM   #108
Charski
Gadget Gal

Thanks Janie!

The Anova has gone on special a few times, worth keeping an eye on it. There are a couple other brands which have good reviews too.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:57 AM   #109
magnamater
Major LCF Poster!

Ok, Char, I did pull the trigger, and have my first experiment in the pot, copycat sous vide eggs, half with blue cheese, half with Swiss. I did use cream cheese instead of cottage cheese, what I had, and I'm anxious to see the 12 of these, one at a time, on my plate. I will report my results.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:38 PM   #110
Charski
Gadget Gal

Oh how fun, Janie!

Can't wait to hear how your inaugural run went.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:44 AM   #111
magnamater
Major LCF Poster!

Char!

The texture of the eggs. . .silky, more like a bacon cheese Creme brûlée with nutmeg instead of sugar on top!

Now I wish I had 2 dozen little 4 oz jars, I would make creme brulee! Or custard.

Who knows what's next!

And I can't believe I waited this long!
Old 03-03-2017, 09:21 AM   #112
Charski
Gadget Gal

Buy a pack of 4 oz canning jars - they don't cost much. I use them to make yogurt - just pour the yogurt in and stick them all in the dehydrator for 8 hours. Presto change-o - delicious yogurt, thick thick thick like Greek style.

You could do that in the sous vide as well but I do a gallon at a time so it's easier just to stack 'em in the Excaliber.

Old 03-03-2017, 12:41 PM   #113
magnamater
Major LCF Poster!

I have a dozen. . .need another dozen!
Old 04-04-2017, 03:13 PM   #114
UncaAndoo
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UncaAndoo
The Flourless Lemon Chia Jar Cake on Anova's website sounds pretty interesting!
UncaAndoo is offline   Reply With Quote