Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 01-09-2018, 08:00 AM   #1
Jeanne 667
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jeanne 667
Help With Nighttime Eating

I seem to do well all day long but in the evening I find myself 'wanting something'. And of course each bite of this leads to a bite of that.

I have tried Celery Sticks with Cream Cheese and the Cream Cheese Muffins.

My goal is to NOT eat anything after 6pm but sometimes the cravings win.

I keep a big bottle of water next to my chair and try to make do.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts or recipes.
Jeanne 667 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2018, 09:32 AM   #2
rharmelink
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rharmelink
My late night snack is usually either meat and cheese sticks or meat and cheese roll-ups. For example, last night I had two slices of corned beef, each rolled up with a slice of hot pepper jack cheese inside. I put some freshly ground sea salt on them.

I'll sometimes have a salted down chicken thigh with a little BBQ sauce (G Hughes SF Hickory) on the side.
rharmelink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:30 PM   #3
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
I like sliced red bell peppers and cucumbers with green onion dip or just plain. I feel the need for the crunch factor.

A good protein snack is cheese chips or cheese chips with guacamole.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:34 AM   #4
Vilya
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 248/244.8/240
WOE: Fung-ian fasting and lower carb (I am T2 diabetic)
Start Date: Every day is a new start
My go-to snack is pickles. They're salty/crunchy, which is my weakness, so they're perfect! And they seem to kill any craving for sweets, which is a nice side bonus.
My journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=891121
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:50 AM   #5
flatferenghi
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: flatferenghi
I DID have a problem with night eating.

I no longer do. that is because I have a BIG MEAL at night (actually late evening) or 2 smaller ones, spaced a few hours apart, as close to zero carb as possible. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:02 AM   #6
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/157/145
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Nighttime eating is not a problem, but 4 pm eating is.

It is a habit for me. I'm not hungry. For me, it's best not to eat then, even a low carb snack.

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:13 AM   #7
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
Stats: Low carb for blood sugar control
I'm hypoglycemic, so I have to have a snack at bedtime or my blood sugar tanks before morning. We eat dinner at 6pm because of my husband's insulin schedule, and I just can't make it 12 hours without crashing.

I usually have some string cheese, or some leftover cold roast beef or chicken, etc. Something with a lot of protein and not much in the way of carbs.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:00 PM   #8
Jeanne 667
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jeanne 667
Thank you all with the good suggestions. I try and eat nothing after 6pm but sometimes...it calls to me.

Now I have another question. I bought some Almond Flour, Splenda and Blueberries. Is there a favorite Blueberry Muffin anywhere?

I have looked at recipes on YouTube and also Pinterest but just wondered if there is a favorite one most of you use. TIA...again.
Jeanne 667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:26 PM   #9
cselzler
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cselzler
WOE: moderate carbs
I pretty much have a farmers soda or a hot cocoa each night before bed, depending on if I want something cold or hot. They each have some cocoa powder, cream, sweetener, and water. I feel like it's a treat and satisfies my cravings for something.
cselzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:22 AM   #10
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/116/135 Start:size 22, now size 0.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 11 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cselzler View Post
I pretty much have a farmers soda or a hot cocoa each night before bed, depending on if I want something cold or hot. They each have some cocoa powder, cream, sweetener, and water. I feel like it's a treat and satisfies my cravings for something.
I've never heard of farmers soda, cselz. Can you please tell me what it is/how you make it?
Old 01-12-2018, 09:48 AM   #11
PaminKY
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PaminKY
I use signaling lozenges and they work great for me. My favorite are the mint but I also like the mocha and cinnamon, not so much the citrus. They are 15 calories and 2 carb each.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:53 PM   #12
flatferenghi
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: flatferenghi
now that i am retired...

next month will be 5 years, I do not have regular sleeping or eating times. ergo, I eat something, when not eating at that time can be problematic. 4 pm was a problematic time for me as well. by the time I got home, I was eating everything that was not eating me. so, if u are REALLY not hungry, it is a question of a chronic behavior which needs to be addressed. for want of a better word, I would call it "recreational" eating. I find that putting away the excess amount minimizes the likelihood of excess eating. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:54 AM   #13
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/190.5/175 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baricat View Post
I've never heard of farmers soda, cselz. Can you please tell me what it is/how you make it?
I was curious too, so I googled it. I found a whole thread about it on a different forum. It's just 1/4 C of heavy cream then you pour a can of diet soda over it, or some people use grapefruit flavored Crystal Light.

Then I had to google the signaling lozenges. Found them, but don't know if they would work for me. If I like them, I'd eat the whole bag. LOL

"The first step to solving a problem is to admit that one exists."
Dr Jason Fung
PACarolsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:57 AM   #14
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatferenghi View Post
next month will be 5 years, I do not have regular sleeping or eating times. ergo, I eat something, when not eating at that time can be problematic. 4 pm was a problematic time for me as well. by the time I got home, I was eating everything that was not eating me. so, if u are REALLY not hungry, it is a question of a chronic behavior which needs to be addressed. for want of a better word, I would call it "recreational" eating. I find that putting away the excess amount minimizes the likelihood of excess eating. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
This is a big, big problem for me, and I'm trying to break the habit. I want to eat only when I'm hungry. I do good for a couple days then I cave, but I'm not giving up.

Dr Jason Fung
Old 01-16-2018, 06:54 AM   #15
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarolsue View Post
I was curious too, so I googled it. I found a whole thread about it on a different forum. It's just 1/4 C of heavy cream then you pour a can of diet soda over it, or some people use grapefruit flavored Crystal Light.

Then I had to google the signaling lozenges. Found them, but don't know if they would work for me. If I like them, I'd eat the whole bag. LOL
Thanks, Carol! Seems I've been making farmers soda for decades and didn't know it.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:43 AM   #16
cselzler
Senior LCF Member

we had farmers sodas as kids. Pretty much always chocolate. A T of cocoa,sweetener, cream and soda water. Never had soda like coke, which by the way we called pop. We did get soda water. When I got older I used koolaid to flavor my farmers soda. Strawberry and raspberry are my favorites. The cream And sweet flavors make it a treat.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:06 PM   #17
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Way, WAY back (when dinosaurs roamed the earth) when the Atkins Diet was a new thing, you could get diet chocolate soda in the grocery stores. I would add a shot of HWC to a tall glass, and it reminded me of the gorgeous chocolate fountain sodas I used to get whenever we went into the city (NYC) to visit family when I was growing up.

Now, A&W diet root beer is the soda of choice. But that idea of using Kool Aide and seltzer+HWC sounds awesome. It is something I will definitely try when the warm weather comes back. It's been an unseasonably cool winter down here in South FL so far. Haven't been able to get to the beach for a couple of months. If I wanted weather like this, I would have stayed up north...
Old 01-17-2018, 11:50 AM   #18
cselzler
Senior LCF Member

Farmers soda is one reason I love my Soda Stream. I got tired of dragging home all those soda water bottles.
Cat, I would be fine if we just get back up to freezing.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:42 PM   #19
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

I know I sound like a brat, cselz, but once you've lived down here year round for several years, your ability to tolerate anything below 70 degrees disappears. I put in almost 50 years in the deep freeze that is the northeast. But now? It's all a function of what the body is acclimated to accept as normal.

It's supposed to be in the mid 40s tonight, and when that comes to pass, I wear flannel nightgowns and crack out two extra quilts for the bed. During the day I dress in layers, two pairs of socks, and wear a hat in the house. This is the most cool days over the longest period that I can remember since I've lived here. Not the coldest, which was 2010, when we had snow (and where I live is considered the tropics!) But that cold snap was short-lived.

I recall that when I first arrived down here, I used to laugh at the folks who dressed in parkas, scarves, and boots whenever it was in the 50s. That's crazy, right?

Now I am one of those crazy people!
Old 01-17-2018, 01:50 PM   #20
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Me, too.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:21 PM   #21
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

We're two of a kind, Soob!
Old 01-19-2018, 05:37 AM   #22
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

It's supposed to be in the mid 40s tonight, and when that comes to pass, I wear flannel nightgowns and crack out two extra quilts for the bed. During the day I dress in layers, two pairs of socks, and wear a hat in the house. This is the most cool days over the longest period that I can remember since I've lived here. Not the coldest, which was 2010, when we had snow (and where I live is considered the tropics!) But that cold snap was short-lived.
LOL I live in the deep freeze of PA. I don't even own a flannel nightgown. In the winter, I continue to wear my summer nightgowns but add a tee shirt or tank top underneath for extra warmth. Bare arm and legs. One blanket. If I even try to wear long sleeves I wake up in the middle of the night and have to change.

Dr Jason Fung
Old 01-19-2018, 08:00 AM   #23
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I don't know which way is worse. DH says people who are hot all the time are the unlucky ones, because they can only take off so many clothes. Whiles those of us who feel the cold can put on unlimited layers of clothes. He won that argument decades ago. Hence here I am running around inside the house in my winter coat, ear muffs and gloves. If that seems like a ridiculous picture to you, it is!
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:47 AM   #24
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

That was my argument when I worked, and the chronically cold people were always whining to get the heat turned up. "Put on a sweater! I can't take anything off! LOL"

Dr Jason Fung
Old 01-22-2018, 08:25 AM   #25
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
I don't know which way is worse. DH says people who are hot all the time are the unlucky ones, because they can only take off so many clothes. Whiles those of us who feel the cold can put on unlimited layers of clothes. He won that argument decades ago. Hence here I am running around inside the house in my winter coat, ear muffs and gloves. If that seems like a ridiculous picture to you, it is!
Hmmmmm.... Is it weird that not only does it NOT sound ridiculous, but perfectly normal (and downright sensible) to me?
Old 01-27-2018, 08:03 PM   #26
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

I find that the older I get, the more heat I need. I used to keep the thermostat at 68 in the house in the winter. Now that I'm almost 75 and my husband is 79, we find we are much more comfortable with it set at about 72. I also don't tolerate the heat as well as I did when I was younger.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:07 PM   #27
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Way, WAY back (when dinosaurs roamed the earth) when the Atkins Diet was a new thing, you could get diet chocolate soda in the grocery stores. I would add a shot of HWC to a tall glass, and it reminded me of the gorgeous chocolate fountain sodas I used to get whenever we went into the city (NYC) to visit family when I was growing up.

Now, A&W diet root beer is the soda of choice. But that idea of using Kool Aide and seltzer+HWC sounds awesome. It is something I will definitely try when the warm weather comes back. It's been an unseasonably cool winter down here in South FL so far. Haven't been able to get to the beach for a couple of months. If I wanted weather like this, I would have stayed up north...
OHHH, I remember the Canfield's Chocolate Fudge soda! Lovely stuff! I's still available on Amazon but REALLY expensive.

Last edited by sbwertz; 01-27-2018 at 08:10 PM..
sbwertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:18 PM   #28
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Years ago, when my kids were little, I had a seltzer system that used the little CO2 cartridges. My kids loved it. (I'm such a packrat that I found one of the little cartridges in the back of the junk drawer the other day. Must be nearly 50 years old LOL.)
Old 01-28-2018, 09:31 AM   #29
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

You should sell it on eBay, Sharon. Some nostalgic person would probably love to have it. Vintage is very chic.