Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 11-06-2017, 05:38 PM   #1
DebM
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DebM
<.03>tsh

Anyone have this low of tsh ? My frees are good, FreeT3 upper range, Free T4 leas than half. She wants to take me off meds.
DebM is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2017, 05:15 AM   #2
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Do you take Rx T3 (Cytomel)?

My TSH is that low, but I'm not hyperthyroid because I take Cytomel, which tends
to lower the TSH significantly. My endo is not concerned about my low TSH, and I have NO hyper symptoms.

With Hashimoto's (which I have) some people will go back and forth between hyper and hypo. I never have, but I know it's common, and perhaps that's what's happening to you.

If your doctor wants to take you off ALL thyroid hormones (thyroid Rx are not technically meds but supplemental hormones), I'd get another opinion because I've read (and been told by doctors) that once you are on thyroid supplements, it's for life because the thyroid doesn't regenerate.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:27 AM   #3
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/217/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/NK
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Mine is and my doctor says that it is perfectly normal. Your TSH is low because you are taking replacement hormones and that is the way it should be.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:13 AM   #4
jeaniem
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 170/128.2/125-130 5'1
WOE: lc
Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
Mine is and my doctor says that it is perfectly normal. Your TSH is low because you are taking replacement hormones and that is the way it should be.
My situation as well.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=883453
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:57 AM   #5
DebM
Major LCF Poster!

Vit D 79.3 30-100 range
F T3 3.6 2.5 - 3.9 range
tsh <.03 .30 - 5.60 range (yes, low, I'm always low)
T4 free .73 .58-1.64 range
T3 uptake 26% (no range on this, I'm not really sure what it means, RT3?

This was my results 2 weeks ago. I was only on 16.25 Naturethyroid. I had been on (2) a day back in maybe August when she was worried about the tsh and said stop the
2nd afternoon dose. Previous to that I was on 32.5 a.m. and 16.25 afternoon. I've gained 10 lbs and having a terrible time getting it off!!

We didn't do the antiobodies this time and yes I have hashimotos. I've definitely got plenty of stock until I find another doctor or NP. I wonder if I should go back to the 32.5 a.m. and 16.25 afternoon. My tsh was definitely no worse - my free T4 barely moves....

My tsh has always been lower also.....
Old 11-16-2017, 05:33 AM   #6
DebM
Major LCF Poster!

I sure wish I had good doctors like you all. This last one I thought at least had an understanding of hashimotos but then she freaks out over the low tsh. At least she said she could refer me but I'm thinking they'd just be the same. I may have to go with this one out of network and try them. I think she is also into bioidenticals and I went off them in June so I'm not sure I'd want to go back that route being almost 62.

I did go bk to the afternoon dose of 16.25 in addition to the 16.25 a.m. that I was already taking. In a few weeks I'll go bk to 32.5 in the a.m. instead of the 16.25 that I was on previously with the good NP who left the state last year.

I did try asking the pharmacy who prescribed NT and Armour but didn't get very far. They'd just give me the name of the NP who freaked out over the tsh for one and it's hard to get a feel for this when you call the doctors to see what their knowledge is of hashimotos and how to treat it.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:57 PM   #7
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
I hope you find the right solution.

I don't even know what to think. My numbers seemed solid for quite a while then suddenly started changing again.

Getting labs drawn tomorrow so we'll see.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:06 AM   #8
Avocat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avocat
Stats: 234/197/170
WOE: LC/HF + IF
Start Date: November 14, 2014
My husband's TSH was .01 at his last blood draw in November. His free T4 was 1.2 and his free T3 4.6, Our doctor was totally thrilled.

OTOH, my TSH was .12, free T4 was .9 and free T3 3.9. She upped my Nature-Throid dose by another 65 mg in the morning so I'm up to 130 mg in the morning and 65 mg noonish.

I started the new dose Tuesday and today I noticed a difference. I actually didn't go back to bed after I saw hubs off to work this morning and after I'm finished here I'm thinking about cleaning out the pantry, I never think about cleaning ANYTHING!

I would never consider changing hormone doctors, despite the fact they don't accept our (really, truly awful, high deductible) insurance. In fact, we plan to eventually relocate at least 6 hours away and we still intend to make the trip to see them when we move. Too many conventionally trained/minded doctors, are more focused on how numbers look than how patients feel and the thing I've noticed with my thyroid situation, I don't realize how crummy-low energy-depressed I am until I get on a higher dose that makes me feel better. I guess that's part of the brain fog they talk about with being under medicated.

It's frustrating, though, because originally I was on Armour and it stopped working and I didn't realize until my labs started a slow creep in the wrong direction. Then we were changed to Nature-throid and we're still in the tweaking stage and now the supply dried up (apparently the company is renovating it's machinery). I'm genuinely afraid they might change their formulation and then it's back to square one ...
"The reason we are scared of cholesterol and fat has to do with the fact that there are drugs to lower cholesterol [$29 BILLION/year industry] and 50 percent of what we grow in America is now either corn or soy, which can easily be manufactured into low-fat products." Dr. Cate Shanahan (from "Cholesterol Clarity" by J. Moore & E. Westman)
Avocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:35 PM   #9
jiju1943
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jiju1943
I just went to my VA doctor, my TSH was .23. I was explaining how my heart went nuts 4 years ago when I was on Cytamel (Or how ever it is spelled). I told him I knew that was what was causing my heart to go into AFIB. I stopped the Cytamel and my heart settled down to normal. So what does he do, he cuts my Synthroid down from .137 to .125. A few days on the lower dose and my heart is really going nuts.

I told him about my heart going nuts and he has me to take another blood test, I haven't heard back yet. If he doesn't get me back on my higher dose, I will go to another doctor. I am a disabled vet and the VA's cost on my Synthroid is $21 for three months. That is the reason I keep going to the VA. Why can't these doctors not understand what we are telling them.

By the way, I only see my VA doctor once or twice a year and most times it is a new doctor when I do go. A lot of these doctors, I can not understand because they don't speak English very well.
jiju1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 07:14 PM   #10
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/202/? 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
With Hashimoto's (which I have) some people will go back and forth between hyper and hypo. I never have, but I know it's common, and perhaps that's what's happening to you.

If your doctor wants to take you off ALL thyroid hormones (thyroid Rx are not technically meds but supplemental hormones), I'd get another opinion because I've read (and been told by doctors) that once you are on thyroid supplements, it's for life because the thyroid doesn't regenerate.
Leo, I know this is an older post. How is this treated, when people go back and forth between hyper and hypo?

This is what I think happens with me. I started out hyper. PCP said to see if it works itself out and it did. Fast Fwd a couple years and I was in the ER thinking it was my heart, but I was hypo, with slightly high TSH. PCP put me on levothyroxine. After a couple weeks of improvement I felt terrible and stopped taking it. A month later without it he checked and TSH was normal. Now I'm starting to feel myself going back and forth. I mostly feel good, then will have a couple days when I feel hypo. I have an appointment in Jan and want to discuss this with him and try to get him to do a full workup, antibodies, T3 and T4 instead of just TSH.

I have considered going to an Endo, but from what I read about how other people have such a hard time finding a good doctor I'm discouraged about it. I don't want to be running from doctor to doctor. I just want to know what's going on with me and stop this swinging back and forth. Actually, what I think is happening is I'm going between hypo and normal, not hyper.

"The first step to solving a problem is to admit that one exists."
Dr Jason Fung

Last edited by PACarolsue; 12-25-2017 at 07:15 PM..
PACarolsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 04:45 AM   #11
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Carol-
A couple of things about your post.

Yes, it's often difficult to find a 'good' thyroid doctor. Endos' practices are often dominated by diabetics, and some of them don't keep up with thyroid developments. But since thyroid problems are 'for life,' it's worth it to search for a good doctor. I found mine via a family friend who is a retired physician. My sister (who is a medical office manager and knows a lot of doctors) could not find a decent thyroid doctor for years. She now goes to my endo, even though it's a 90 min. trip for her.

Also, you are NEVER supposed to just stop thyroid Rx without consulting your doctor. Thyroid Rx are technically not 'meds' but supplemental hormones. And once the body adjusts to these incoming hormones, it can be dangerous to simply stop them.

Feeling unwell after taking thyroid Rx is not uncommon. ALL thyroid Rx use 'fillers' to convey the hormones, and it's not unusual for some of the brands to not work for individuals because of those fillers. That's why it's so important to find a good thyroid doctor and work closely with him/her in monitoring symptoms and Rx. For example, for someone with Hashi's who is swinging back and forth between hyper and hypo, the doctor has to closely monitor the Rx to keep the person fairly stable.

I know you're a cardiac patient, Carol, which is why it's even more important for you to get your thyroid stabilized. One of the effects of thyroid dysfunction (as well as excess dosage of Rx) is cardiac problems.
Old 12-26-2017, 06:30 AM   #12
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, Leo, I know I should not have just stopped the meds, and the doctor was livid. But he continued to test for a while and I continued to test and feel normal, so at that point he let it go. I will discuss all this when I see him in January and see what he thinks. I think at this point he just thinks it's not my thyroid because I usually test normal. I will see if he is willing to test further.

Dr Jason Fung
Old 12-26-2017, 10:46 AM   #13
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Carol-
There can be a thyroid problem when you test 'normal' because thyroid lab values are NOT read like other reports--and most primary doctors don't know (or ignore) that--many endos, too.

I'm not saying you have a thyroid problem, but 'normal' lab values are deceiving. The reason I went undiagnosed for over 5 years (with rapidly escalating symptoms) is that my primary regarded my labs as 'normal.' He finally told me that my extreme fatigue was just 'normal aging,' and that's when I self-referred to an endo (who luckily for me turned out to be a good thyroid doctor).
Thyroid symptoms are so vague that they are easily assumed to be 'normal.'

With labs only, thyroid issues can be often overlooked. For example, my excellent endo suspected that my hypothyroidism was due to the autoimmune disease Hashimoto's, but every lab he ran for years never showed antibodies high enough for the diagnosis. But when I had a biopsy of one of my thyroid nodules, the pathologists report included that diagnosis of Hashi's based on an analysis of the tissue he'd extracted-which was definitive. The labs alone said 'not Hashi's.'

The reason it's important to be aware that I have Hashi's is that it's characteristic to have 'conversion' problems, so that when my T3 suddenly crashed a few years ago, he knew exactly what was going on (and explained it to me). That's why I now take T3 in addition to T4.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:45 AM   #14
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

I appreciate your responses, Leo. I know you know your stuff when it comes to thyroid. I am going to self monitor my symptoms or lack thereof between now and my doctor's appointment.

Dr Jason Fung