Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 10-23-2017, 01:45 PM   #1
lfshelton
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lfshelton
Stats: Goal is 135 (5'3" & 45 yrs)
WOE: LC
Start Date: September, 2014
Sweeteners

Good day, all. I've been reading as much as I can today and am seeing many different sweeteners being mentioned in posts.

I am sure I missed something somewhere - so if there's a link to explain them all - please post.

I use powdered Splenda in most recipes calling for sugar - because I just cannot get over the taste of stevia (I have liquid and powder)... but I'm reading Splenda has lots of carbs?

What are other sweeteners I can use and where to buy them? I really like the way I can measure Splenda as I would sugar.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Lisa
lfshelton is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2017, 07:24 PM   #2
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
Hey Lisa, there has been much discussion here about the various sweeteners and the general consensus was that it generally works best to combine 2 or more of them to get the best version of faux sugar - UNTIL recently, when a new one came along and those who have tried it (I have not yet) are really happy with it! Doesn't require combining with other sweeteners, no aftertaste, hardly anyone has a problem with it from a digestive standpoint - the downside, it's expensive! It's called BochaSweet and is made from the kombucha squash.

As for Splenda, it comes in at a fairly hefty 24 grams of carbs per cup. That really comes from the bulking agent because pure Splenda is not really usable as is, so they add dextrose or other agents to make it measure just like sugar.

Here is the link to the BochaSweet discussion:

http://lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=888975

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:12 PM   #3
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/116/135 Start:size 22, now size 0.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 10 years.
Lisa, what Char said.

Reading up on the BochaSweet will bring you as up to speed as soon as possible about it. Trouble is, it's just so new that I'm doing as much experimenting with it as time and finances allow to test its overall properties under various applications.

So far I have uncovered that:
1) denaturing the crystals so that they can meld texturally into your product requires application of heat, either by means of baking or by direct introduction into a very hot liquid. Or:

2) extensive powdering (mechanical means) is necessary when BS will be used in non-heated applications, such as some ice creams (probably not in custard ice creams where the liquids are heated in order to lightly temper-cook the eggs and render bacteria in the egg killed) and frostings.

3) When used as the sole sweetening agent in ice cream, it produces an excellent textured ice cream that is easily scoopable directly from the freezer, which is unusual for sugar-free ice creams. Plus, you get the added bonus of how natural it tastes. No one will known it's sugar free, unless you choose to tell them.

Experimentation for the future includes what proportion can I get away with and still obtain the flavor result I'm after if I mix it with other sweeteners, and then, how various proportions affect the texture, as less BS is used.

But my life is a bit crazy right now, so goodie-making is suffering a decided lull, and we will be moving in a few weeks, so the dreaded pack-up and unpack phases are coming at me way too fast. But I will get to it once we get settled in our new home, slowly and systematically.

Starting off with BS for everything might be somewhat cost-prohibitive if you're just starting into the low carb lifestyle, and are trying to stock your pantry concurrently with some of the "designer ingredients" we LC geeks like to use, such as Carbquik, glucomannan, wheat protein isolates, resistant starches, sugar free syrups in a myriad of flavors, fiber syrups, and other sweeteners, among others things. It's truly dizzying at first. For that reason, you might want hold off on a large BochaSweet purchase until you have experimented with less costly alternatives. Well, they're all costly, to one degree or another, but you'll see what I mean when you price out the BS (hint: have smelling salts at the ready.)

If you do like Splenda, I'd suggest switching to a liquid form of sucralose that doesn't have those fillers that add unwanted carbs you mentioned. Liquid Splenda has all the taste, but none of the carbs, of its granular counterpart. For those items where you need something powdered, erythritol is a possibility, but mixing it with another sweetener is recommended, as straight erythritol alone lends a "cooling sensation" which many find troubling.

You can mix Just Like Sugar, which is a chicory based sweetener with it, and/or liquid sucralose. Some like xylitol, but many of us experience acute gastric distress from it, and it's toxic to dogs, even in small amounts. If you have a pet dog who loves to slurp up crumbs from the floor, approach xylitol with extreme caution.

Extreme caution advised with others like maltitol, isomalt, or polydextrose (aka polyD). When trying those out, be careful of your gut! If you are affected, symptoms can range from mild, like just embarrassing gas, to moderate (bloating and pain) all the way on up to incapacitating pain that puts you in a fetal position, purging copiously from both ends, for hours, dehydrating you rapidly and dangerously. At first, try seeing how your body reacts to small amounts, as those reactions will almost always be milder than if you ingested a larger amount.

Maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones who can tolerate them all! But because of their relatively inexpensive nature, any that work for you may be blended into a respectable-tasting sweetener at a fraction of the cost of BS. Additionally, some work better than others with particular ingredients. For example, splenda performs poorly in chocolate preparations.

Remember that others can be mixed with BS to extend this pricey sweetener, thus saving you cost without sacrificing quality.

So there is great value to working with and getting to know a battery of sweeteners. It's a good idea to keep the ones you can tolerate in your arsenal at all times.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:10 AM   #4
lfshelton
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lfshelton
Stats: Goal is 135 (5'3" & 45 yrs)
WOE: LC
Start Date: September, 2014
Charski and Baricat, thank you both for your responses. I've always tried to stick with a LC WOE and I'm more of a cook than a baker - but my 20 year old son has recently asked me to help him drop some pounds and he has a sweet tooth beyond measure so I'm trying to find something I can use to ease his anxiety about never being able to eat sweets again.

So far, I've only used Splenda in the powder form but it's not a lot - tablespoons at the most - so that's the reason behind my question. Sounds like I could use the BS and although as mentioned, pricey, it might last me a long long time since I really don't bake a lot.

I need to find a thread with nothing but desserts I can make him and peruse it for easy recipes.

Thanks again, ladies!
Lisa
lfshelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:29 AM   #5
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/116/135 Start:size 22, now size 0.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 10 years.
Lisa, just so you know going into a BochaSweet purchase, each pound of it contains just a bit over 2 cups. As a point of reference, a small pan of brownies I make takes 1 cup. So not only is it expensive, it doesn't go far, either. Just want you to be aware of that, going into it.

Unfortunately, there is no one, single thread (or even 10, or 20) on here where you can go to get only dessert recipes. It's eclectic, and sifting through old posts takes hours and hours. When I first came on board here, I read every night, until the wee hours, for almost a month!

It's eclectic, because it's the product of many individuals, who have a thought or a recipe they want to share, and post it as a thread. It's organic, not planned. Then, not all recipes here work for each person. I've tried some with incredibly wonderful results, and others that went into the trash (though not many of those, just had one 4 days ago.) They run the gamut, and only you know your tastes.

So what to do to streamline the process? Well, if you're looking for dessert recipes, look at the titles first. Many bear the title of the recipe name. Next, look for baking ingredients in the title. Vitafiber (but I believe the original poster mistakenly spelled it "Vitafibre") is a thread that has many excellent sweet recipes. There is a Carbquik thread, and whereas that product can be used for savory baking, if you sift through it, you'll also find dessert recipes.

You get the idea. It all takes time, while you get your bearings and become more proficient at utilizing it. The forum doesn't function well as a "how-to book," with a table of contents or index, but more as a place to share ideas and techniques, where you can learn infinitely more than you ever could from any book. It's dynamic, and changes with the flow of people's thoughts, experiments, successes, and failures. It's folks-helping-folks.

So take it slow, read, read, read, digest, and above all, enjoy the journey.

Last edited by Baricat; 10-24-2017 at 08:31 AM..
Baricat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:09 AM   #6
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
What Cat says! To get some great dessert recipes in ONE place, I highly recommend Jen Eloff's books, Splendid Low Carb Desserts is one of them that might interest you - do a search on Amazon for that title and you'll find it, used it's quite inexpensive. She uses mostly Splenda in those recipes but you can interchange that with the BS or whatever you decide to use as long as the sugar equivalence is the same - from what others have said, the BS, like Splenda in its granular form, measures cup for cup like sugar.

Jen also has two new cookbooks coming out shortly and I can't wait to get my hands on them! More in the "Low Carbing Among Friends" series. I'm gonna get them for Christmas!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote