Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump
Old 02-15-2018, 03:01 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!
Gallery: susieqrn
Stats: 230/224.6/130
WOE: moderate low carb/JUDD
Start Date: February 2018
homemade syrup recipes

I've been on and off occasionally from the site and just restarted low carb a couple of days ago. I went to the D'avinci's syrup sticky and realized a couple of people had asked for my syrup recipes. One was a year ago!
So sorry for the delay!
I put them on that thread, but in case you don't go back there anytime soon, here are a few elaine and Wonderbird:
Vanilla Coffee Syrup (based on recipe from My Baking Addiction)
1 cup water
3/4 cup granulated sweetener (I use a combo of erythritol, xylitol, and stevia)
1/4 cup light brown sugar sub (I use Sukrin Gold)
1 vanilla bean, split in half
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, whisk together water, sweeteners, and vanilla bean. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer for about five minutes - the sugar should be completely dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract. Once simple syrup has cooled, remove the vanilla bean (or not!) and pour the syrup into a glass jar or bottle. Store in refrigerator.

Pumpkin Spice Syrup (based on recipe from A Messy Baker)
(takes time to strain, but worth the effort! Tastes like drinking pumpkin pie!)
1 1/2 cups water
4 Tablespoons brown sugar sub (Sukrin Gold)*
1/4 cup erythritol*
2 Tablespoons xylitol*
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 Tablespoons pumpkin puree
1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tbsp. Vitafiber syrup
*sweetener to equal 1/2 cup white sugar and just under 1/2 cup brown sugar
1. In a medium saucepan, add water and sweeteners. Bring just to a boil then simmer on medium-low heat until the sugar dissolves, about 4 minutes.
2. Turn the heat down to low and whisk in cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, and pumpkin puree. Simmer for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Do not allow the mixture to come to a boil.
3. Remove from the heat and strain through a mesh strainer lined with cheese cloth or a very thin, clean tea towel.
4. Allow the syrup to cool to room-temperature before stirring in the vanilla extract. Store in a Mason jar or an airtight container. The syrup will last for 1 month at room-temperature or 3 months in the refrigerator.

Gingerbread Syrup (makes the kitchen smell heavenly!)
1 cup water
3/4 cup sweetener
1 teaspoon black strap molasses
2 tablespoons fresh ginger root, sliced
1-2 cinnamon sticks, broken into large pieces
10 whole cloves
1/2 teaspoon whole allspice berries
1/2 teaspoon whole peppercorns
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons Vitafiber

In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine water, sugar, and molasses. Stir in ginger, cinnamon stick, cloves, allspice, peppercorns, and nutmeg; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool for 20 minutes; strain through a fine mesh sieve, or double layer cheesecloth. Stir in Vitafiber.

Caramel Sauce
• 1 stick butter, 4 ounces
• ¾ cup brown sugar sub
• ½ cup whipping or heavy cream
• 1 teaspoon vanilla or vanilla bean paste
• a pinch of sea salt
1. Melt butter in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Add brown sugar and whisk vigorously to combine.
2. Add cream. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a low simmer and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add vanilla and a pinch of sea salt. Stir until combined. Serve warm or allow to cool. Stir vigorously, then store in refrigerator. Mixture will thicken as it cools. After refrigeration, warm slightly in the microwave or on the stovetop.

*for a caramel macchiato, use vanilla syrup and drizzle caramel on top

Cinnamon Simple Syrup for Snickerdoodle Latte (from Brewed Daily)
1 cup white and brown sweetener mix
1 cup water
2 3-inch cinnamon sticks
1 tsp vanilla extract
Combine the water and sugar in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Stir occasionally until the sweeteners are completely dissolved. Remove from heat, add in cinnamon sticks and stir in vanilla extract. Cool to room temperature, then store in the fridge. Allow syrup to infuse for at least 12-24 hours before straining out the cinnamon sticks (cinnamon sticks can be left in the syrup, if desired).
Makes 1 1/2 cups

Have fun and enjoy!
susieqrn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2018, 05:10 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member
Gallery: elainesmith
WOE: low carb
Start Date: July 2010
elainesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:57 PM   #3
Sunny K
Junior LCF Member
Gallery: Sunny K
Thanks for posting, these syrups sound awesome. But one question, what is the purposeof the Vitafiber? And is there anything that can be substituted for it.
Sunny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:44 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!
Gallery: susieqrn
Stats: 230/224.6/130
WOE: moderate low carb/JUDD
Start Date: February 2018
Sunny, I use the Vitfiber for consistency, but you could forgo it altogether. The syrup will just be a little thinner.
susieqrn is offline   Reply With Quote