Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-31-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
dianda
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dianda
Stats: 145/121/115; 5'3''
Start Date: November 2012
Very discouraged - I just don't enjoy this

Hello everyone. I've started my lowcarb journey in October. I've gone low-carb (20-30 g per day) to lose weight and manage my post-prandial reactive hyploglycemia (wasn't severe, but I felt hungry literally all day + mood swings etc). I felt great and managed 2 months on plan, then one sweet treat kind of threw me off the wagon, but not too much. Did well on the holidays, then spent a couple of weeks in Paris and the pains au chocolat got in the way LOL Now I'm back on it and feel quite confident but...

There's one thing I just can't ignore, and it's that I'm not enjoying this diet in the least. I know the science behind it, I agree, I know this is the best way to eat, probably, but I just can't enjoy it. I'm Italian, raised on a culture of pasta, bread, croissants, all kind of delicious sweets, rice, whatever.

I just don't enjoy eating meat, cheese, butter and bacon all the time... even if I eat copious amounts of veggies every day to "buffer" the distaste, I can't shake the nagging feeling that this isn't the way I'm, personally, supposed to eat. If only I could eat some rice and some bread, sometimes... but then I get on the scale, and I've gained a couple of pounds of water retention, and I think about the health benefits, and tell myself I must trudge on the low carb path.

Plus, my social life has become a nightmare. Here in Italy there's no low-carb culture, no lowcarb products, and people aren't really supportive of the lifestyle... It's become so hard to eat out that I just don't do it anymore and stay at home with my meat and my cheese day in day out. It's not that I don't like them, because I adore meat and cheese, but it's just so monotonous, I guess?

I know I'm whining but I just need to vent somewhere... I know this is the right choice for one's health on the long-term but it's so hard for me. I just don't enjoy eating anymore, when once it was one of my biggest pleasures, and don't enjoy my social life that much neither, since it revolves so much around sharing food and drinks I can't have.

I really don't know what I should do at this point... Maybe I'm just looking for someone who understands what I'm going through? Sorry for the rant...

Last edited by dianda; 01-31-2013 at 01:22 PM..
dianda is offline   Reply With Quote