Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 04-02-2018, 09:21 AM   #1
ella5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ella5
chicken

I came across an interesting thread in another forum re chicken, that I totally related to. I've been having problems cooking chicken tenderly for a while, thought it was just me. I generally buy the 4-5 pound tray and simmer in a large pan on the stove top till done. Or, get thighs and slow cook.
The breasts, no matter how careful I work to be, have too often been either tough/stringy--even when using a steak knife--or rubbery. Thighs, have been okay. I realized I had not bought so much chicken the past year because it just hasn't been as good as previously. I thought my tastes were changing. Turns out it's the chicken that's been changing.

Here's a site suggested in that thread:
https://www.ciwf.com/blog/2017/02/ch...in-the-stripes

And yes, I have seen those white stripes too often...I guess I should change that: I see those stripes almost every time. I've often wondered about the size of the breasts. They are humongous. Much larger that years ago.

Last edited by ella5; 04-02-2018 at 09:32 AM..
ella5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2018, 06:35 PM   #2
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/190.5/175 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
I usually buy whole chickens and I always pick the smallest ones because I feel they are younger. Also, I buy chicken tenders for grilling instead of breasts. They grill up very quickly. I think when the chicken pieces are on sale at a low price they are usually larger ones that don't sell as well.

"The first step to solving a problem is to admit that one exists."
Dr Jason Fung
PACarolsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:57 PM   #3
Avocat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avocat
Stats: 234/197/170
WOE: LC/HF + IF
Start Date: November 14, 2014
The longer you cook white meat chicken the dryer it gets (drier?) Anyway, you need to cook it in acid and oil. I combine spaghetti sauce, balsamic vinegar and olive oil, enough that together it's about 1.5 cups (give or take), whip it up with a plunge blender, coat the chicken breasts and then pour the rest over the breasts in a deep baking dish. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

I'll also do equal parts pickled jalapeno peppers, vinegar and olive oil.
"The reason we are scared of cholesterol and fat has to do with the fact that there are drugs to lower cholesterol [$29 BILLION/year industry] and 50 percent of what we grow in America is now either corn or soy, which can easily be manufactured into low-fat products." Dr. Cate Shanahan (from "Cholesterol Clarity" by J. Moore & E. Westman)
Avocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 02:06 PM   #4
ella5
Senior LCF Member

For years I've cooked the breasts stovetop in oil in a large steel skillet with a lid. Must'a been a couple of years ago it was losing it's flavor and tenderness for me, and I quit buying so much. I used to get ~10 pounds and cook it that way in 2 or 3 sessions, then slice and freeze it in portion sizes. That was part of my Sunday prep for the week. It was often my low carb lunch or snack years ago.
Haven't done that for a long time.
I'll have to be more careful and buy not-white striped meat...

PAC, I don't even really like dealing with the whole cooked chicken, raw ones are no longer part of my shopping list.

Last edited by ella5; 04-03-2018 at 02:09 PM..
Old 04-03-2018, 03:00 PM   #5
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
So, it isn’t just me! I thought I was just a terrible chicken breast cooker. I have always had to best luck doing what you do Carol. I get a whole bodied chicken and have it cut up by the butcher. Every piece seems to be much fresher and cooks much better.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:18 AM   #6
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Chicken in the I.P. is pretty awesome. I only wish I could cook a turkey in it. I ruined another turkey and feel compelled to eat it anyway as it is wasteful not to................

Where I live, there are tons of ethical farmed choices that should not suffer the same problems as factory farming apparently is producing. I am sure this is true elsewhere too.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:46 PM   #7
NewOldLC
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: NewOldLC
Stats: 235/158.8/165 Goal met Jan 9 2016. New goal 145!
WOE: Atkins DANDR
Start Date: January 12, 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Chicken in the I.P. is pretty awesome. I only wish I could cook a turkey in it. I ruined another turkey and feel compelled to eat it anyway as it is wasteful not to................

Where I live, there are tons of ethical farmed choices that should not suffer the same problems as factory farming apparently is producing. I am sure this is true elsewhere too.
Cathy, I did big turkey drumsticks in my electric pressure cooker...turned out fabulously!
Mandy

Check out my instagram at @mrsagnesbrown5
NewOldLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 05:57 AM   #8
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
That is a good idea. I am so off turkey at the moment but if I cook it again, I will definitely do pieces in the I.P..

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:41 AM   #9
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
Interesting read. I seldom buy breasts, I prefer legs and thighs. I've never seen that white striping but may be because I just don't usually buy the breasts! I'll keep an eye out for it.

Seems it's the breeds though, so not much you can do about it except search out someone who raises birds that are not the fast-growing varieties.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:20 PM   #10
ella5
Senior LCF Member

I went to SPROUTS today, hoping to buy chicken. EVERY PIECE has the striations. Even the organic.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:35 AM   #11
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
Stats: Low carb for blood sugar control
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
That is a good idea. I am so off turkey at the moment but if I cook it again, I will definitely do pieces in the I.P..
I bought a deep-fried turkey breast at Sam's Club this year for Thanksgiving. It was so good I went back and bought three more for the freezer. They only carry them during the holidays.

With just the two of us, I decided I didn't need to make a whole turkey.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:26 PM   #12
SassyMoo
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SassyMoo
I wish I could make it better myself. I vastly dislike dark meat so I am stuck with just breasts.
SassyMoo is offline   Reply With Quote