Start Date: 25.2.18
Thanks Dottie
Pebbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2018, 06:36 PM   #482
Rob
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rob
Hi all... I've been reading and posting for the last few days just to get a feel for the site. Seems like some knowledgeable people here and it's good to be among those who share common traits. I'm just curious though - does it ever get 'busy' here? Seems a bit slow-moving. That's not a criticism, just an observation.

I've tried to stick to recipe and menu threads so far - I don't want to barge in to some of the more personal threads I've seen here with people who obviously have known each other for a while. Baby steps.
Rob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:42 AM   #483
Patience
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Patience
Hi Rob, I am am on again after being off for several months. I think there is a fair amount of coming and going, including by folks like me that took the wrong kind of winter vacation. But yes, it seems a bit slow to me, too. I'll bet you'll get a number of welcomes, though. Let me me the first (although we've exchanged messages on some other threads).
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 05:11 AM   #484
Rob
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
Hi Rob, I am am on again after being off for several months. I think there is a fair amount of coming and going, including by folks like me that took the wrong kind of winter vacation. But yes, it seems a bit slow to me, too. I'll bet you'll get a number of welcomes, though. Let me me the first (although we've exchanged messages on some other threads).
Well that's nice, thank you! I hear you about the wrong kind of winter vacation. "But it's Christmas, I have to enjoy good (actually BAD) food and drink!" ... then it's January. Ugh... lol
Old 03-29-2018, 05:41 AM   #485
CaCO3Girl
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CaCO3Girl
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2018
Hi, I’m Brittony. I am trying to do Atkins but the most random things have HUGE carbs, so I messed up the first two days. The app is both helpful and confusing. Okay we have established that grapes have carbs, but how many? It’s not just grapes, but for example:

Grapes 1.0 cup seedless = 26.8g of carbs
Grapes, red or green, 1.0 cup seedless = 1.0g of carbs
Grapes red or green 1 cup = 26g

It goes on and on and none of the numbers match. How can we figure this stuff out? Very frustrating, but happy that it at least tells me which things have carbs.
CaCO3Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 04:38 AM   #486
Dottie
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: ADF mostly Paleo
Brittony: welcome
I've found the USDA site (https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/) is probably the best up-to-date one for actual counts on things.

They show 1 cup of red or green grapes (that would be 151 grams by weight, and weight is much more accurate to use as a measurement) 27g carbs.
10 grapes @ 9g carbs.

The USDA site can be a little confusing at first, but you'll get the hang of it

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

Be sure to visit Netrition on Facebook for the latest products and deals!
https://www.facebook.com/Netritioncom-210889832433/

The past is beyond your control. The future starts right now, this moment: take control!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 06:48 AM   #487
CaCO3Girl
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
I've found the USDA site (https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/) is probably the best up-to-date one for actual counts on things.

They show 1 cup of red or green grapes (that would be 151 grams by weight, and weight is much more accurate to use as a measurement) 27g carbs.
10 grapes @ 9g carbs.

Thanks Dottie, when I find a discrepancy I'll go there to get the scoop.

I'm actually really encouraged that this diet seems to be workable. I've tried low calorie rabbit food starve myself diets, they never worked. I didn't like the idea of portion control. Now, there are SOOOO many things I can eat on Atkins, I'm actually excited. I took my daughter to McDonalds last night and had an Atlkins approved meal, it was really cool that I didn't have to change where I went, just what I ate. I got a scale last night to help me keep track of if this is working....crossing my fingers!
Old 03-30-2018, 08:22 AM   #488
Rob
Senior LCF Member

Hmmm... I definitely avoided things like grapes while starting out on Atkins. They are close to 1g per grape on average. You might want to save those for later on. Just food (ha!) for thought.

Be careful at fast food places too. You're right that there are tons of great things you can eat on Atkins, but you have to be watchful of hidden carbs when eating out. (Condiments, salad dressings, etc.)
Old 03-30-2018, 04:19 PM   #489
AutumnLeif
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AutumnLeif
Hey y'all,

I've been following Wheat Belly for 21 months and my husband came on board shortly after. We have each lost more than 30 pounds and are maintaining it. I'm actually kind of driving him a little nuts as I'm trying to break a plateau and so we have been doing a fairly good amount of every other day fasting and even a 3 day fast thrown in.
AutumnLeif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 05:18 PM   #490
CaCO3Girl
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Hmmm... I definitely avoided things like grapes while starting out on Atkins. They are close to 1g per grape on average. You might want to save those for later on. Just food (ha!) for thought.

Be careful at fast food places too. You're right that there are tons of great things you can eat on Atkins, but you have to be watchful of hidden carbs when eating out. (Condiments, salad dressings, etc.)
I kind of went shopping and grabbed a bunch of stuff I thought was healthy. I didnít explore much before I shopped, it was only after I was about to eat the things I actually looked them up, lol!

I had the bacon ranch salad with grilled chicken, and accounted for the dressing. I didnít eat the tomatoes so it was probably a bit less carbs than I charged myself for. I ended the day on 23g of carbs, fat = 101, protein = 120, and calories 1533. It wasnít a perfect day but itís a far cry from the egg McMuffin and foot long subway sandwiches I was eating last week :-)
Old 03-30-2018, 05:19 PM   #491
CaCO3Girl
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post

10 grapes @ 9g carbs.

Now that Iím home I explored the sites you sent. Um, hate to be the bearer of bad news but:

It is time for us to discontinue SuperTracker so that we can invest in more modern and efficient ways to help Americans find a healthy eating style that is right for them. As part of USDAís commitment to ensure that all of our programs are delivered efficiently and effectively, the Food and Nutrition Service will be discontinuing its SuperTracker application on June 30, 2018.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:39 AM   #492
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Puppy love
Stats: 203/126 /126
WOE: No sugar/grains-clean eating
Start Date: October 1, 2012
Welcome All
Puppy love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:08 PM   #493
ozdancer
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ozdancer
Stats: 210/210/158
Start Date: now: April 2018 last times: March 09 & April 02
How long off the wagon before you're 'new' again?

Been many years since I've been on this forum, used to be a regular and had lots of success. Life happens, fell off the wagon and have been trying unsuccessfully for a while to stick with LC WOE. Thought maybe I'd come see if you guys were still here and get support.

Lost 28lb last year, gained back about half of it. Would be happy to lose about 45lbs from here. Last 'cycle' I lost nearly 80lbs (2011) and kept it off for 3 years.

So I feel like I know what I'm supposed to do, just having trouble with the metal side in a busy life.

Ozdancer (from Australia)

BOOT CAMP CHALLENGE #22

BOOT CAMP CHALLENGE #23
ozdancer is offline   Reply With Quote