Old 04-13-2018, 03:52 AM   #1
KitCat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KitCat
Stats: 242/228/140
WOE: Low Carb to Control Appetite and < 1500 cals
Start Date: Today
Severe Breast Pain

Has anyone experienced severe breast pain post menapause? Iíve had it in one breast only, for about a week. It is much better during the day with Motrin but gets really really bad at night. Wondering if itís because Iím lying down and that exacerbated it. Now it feels like itís radiating to my back. Just wondering if anybody has experienced this, how long it lasted, what you did for relief.

I have an appt for a physical in 7 days but not sure if I should try to see someone about this beforehand.

Internet seems to think this is very common and you just need to treat the pain until it goes away. They also suggest low fat diet which isnít conducive to my low carb plan.

Goals
1. Onederland by June 20, 2018 (that's almost 2.5 per week as of 3/23)
2. 180 by September 30, 2018
3. 160 by November 30, 2018
KitCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2018, 03:58 AM   #2
Auntie Em
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
Hi, Kit. That's a puzzle, as pain has so many sources.

I had to cut out cheese and processed foods, and cut down on caffeine. Evening primrose oil, and iodine help me, too. Have you got a copy of Dr. Atkins' book, Vita-Nutrient Solutions? His recommendations have helped me a lot.

When I keep my food plan strict, take my supplements, drink enough water, remember to use salt and potassium salt, I do all right. Although, extreme stress triggers it again.

Rebounding, walking, whatever you can do to help lymph circulation might help, too.

But, pains can be from many different things. Hope you find good solutions.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:39 AM   #3
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Kit--

Although often harmless body pains will come and go, a week is too long for a persistent pain. I'd have this checked NOW and not wait another 7 days.

Pain is a sign of something wrong in the body, and when it lasts more than a few days, it's a signal of some dysfunction.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:56 AM   #4
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ronnie51
Just throwing this out there. I've found as I get older that things that never bothered me in the past now cause pain and discomfort. I finally realized that the pain I was feeling under my breasts every night was due to my underwire bra. Is it possible that the pain you are feeling is muscular? Is there some way you are placing some stress on that area, such as carrying your pocketbook on that side all the time? Sometimes after I carry some heavy groceries up the stairs, the side where I carried the heaviest load will hurt for a few days. I agree with Leo, please don't wait if the pain does not subside.
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:00 AM   #5
Beowulf
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beowulf
Stats: 148/137/130# 5'6" 60yrs
WOE: LC+IF
Start Date: Jan 2018 Stillmanís plus IF
Kitcat - yes. I have this. One side only. My Doctor didn’t have any explanation (though I agree with Leo that speaking with a doctor would be wise). I sometimes think externally applied iodine helps mine, but that could be wishful thinking.

ETA: mine began the day after I wore a heart rate monitor all day strapped too tightly around my chest. I felt my ribs had been bruised. The breast pain has lasted years. (Supporting Ronnie’s hypothesis that injury might be one cause.)

Last edited by Beowulf; 04-13-2018 at 08:04 AM..
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:17 AM   #6
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ronnie51
Back again, just sharing something very strange that happened to me while packing up our belongings for a move. Needless to say, I was lifting and pushing and bending and doing a lot of physical work. One night I had severe pain on my upper side, next to my left breast. I just figured I strained something and let it go, however, the pain persisted. Even just touching it hurt, and then I noticed that a hard lump had appeared in the area, very scary. I went to the doctor and he was stumped, asked me if I had had a broken rib that recently healed, which was a no. He send me for an XRay which showed....nothing. And in a couple weeks the lump was gone and so was the pain. Again, perhaps your pain is a reaction to some trauma, even one you hadn't noticed.
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:15 PM   #7
Avocat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avocat
Stats: 234/197/170
WOE: LC/HF + IF
Start Date: November 14, 2014
I'll get chest pain that can be felt in my left breast, right about where my heart would be, in fact, if one of my ribs subluxes; means it's time to see my chiropractor. I've even had the pain accompanied with palpitations. Freaked me out the first few times it happened.
"The reason we are scared of cholesterol and fat has to do with the fact that there are drugs to lower cholesterol [$29 BILLION/year industry] and 50 percent of what we grow in America is now either corn or soy, which can easily be manufactured into low-fat products." Dr. Cate Shanahan (from "Cholesterol Clarity" by J. Moore & E. Westman)
Avocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:05 PM   #8
heidihoopi
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: heidihoopi
WOE: LowCarb, 600 cal days 2x a week
Any shortness of breath? Pain radiating to the back can be a sign of heart attack in women. Or you could have torn some tissue away from the chest wall, that happened to me once from leaning over at work, pain for about a week but I went to the Doc. He had a name for it but I forget it.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:00 AM   #9
KitCat
Senior LCF Member

Thank you so much for all of your responses. I did end up going in to see my Drs NP. After doing a thorough breast exam and reviewing my last ultrasound and mammogram results, she believes that it isn’t breast related at all and is a condition called Costochondritis (kos-toe-kon-DRY-tis) which is an inflammation of the cartilage that connects a rib to the breastbone (sternum). (Pain caused by costochondritis might mimic that of a heart attack or other heart conditions.)
My breast cysts weren’t particularly tender and the pain was deep. Good news is that it is supposed to resolve on its own and doesn’t usually take too long. She said a lot of times they don’t know why it comes on, but I was hitting golf balls at a driving range the weekend before last and I don’t usually do that so maybe it set it off. I knew it wasn’t muscular cause a muscle relaxant didn’t help at all.
I have more and more of these random pain conditions lately and I’m going to make it a priority to take better care of my health nutrition and supplement wise.
Thanks again for all of the input ladies. I really appreciate it.

Goals
Old 04-14-2018, 12:38 PM   #10
Auntie Em
Major LCF Poster!

KitCat, I hope you are feeling better. I know someone who has that condition. Does changing your sleeping position help at all?

I take hyaluronic acid for arthritis, and it helps me tremendously. I don't know if it would help cartilage inflammation. Have you had a change to look up supplements or foods to use or avoid?
Old 04-14-2018, 01:12 PM   #11
KitCat
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
KitCat, I hope you are feeling better. I know someone who has that condition. Does changing your sleeping position help at all?

I take hyaluronic acid for arthritis, and it helps me tremendously. I don't know if it would help cartilage inflammation. Have you had a change to look up supplements or foods to use or avoid?
I haven't recently but I know the basics and am going to start with that. I was doing really well on low carb and then went off plan big time and that's when I started having this problem so eating sugar and processed foods could definitely be related. I'm taking a Women's Over 50 One a Day and a Magnesium supplement. I'm terrible at taking pills so probably won't do much more than that. But I'm off the sugar today and also off the Diet Coke/Aspartame and other artificial sweeteners which I suspect also may contribute to general pain and poor health. I will look into the hyaluronic acid though.

Goals
Old 04-14-2018, 01:15 PM   #12
Auntie Em
Major LCF Poster!

KitCat, I wish you all success. That hyaluronic acid is one of those really helpful supplements for me. When I run out, the pains come back. With it, I get around fairly well.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:53 AM   #13
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
I'm really glad you went and had it checked out - when I worked in the medical office, that was one of the "red flag" complaints, meaning get that person in ASAP to have it checked out. Glad yours turned out to be costochondritis rather than something involving the breast itself but you were smart to have it looked at.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote