Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 08-03-2017, 04:25 PM   #1
GigiLuna
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GigiLuna
LC Frozen Yogurt

Hi there, new here, but not so new to LC.

I've read the ice cream recipe threads and they give me ideas...

I'd like to work on developing a frozen yogurt recipe. I prefer it over ice cream.

If you have any tips to jump start my journey to perfecting a recipe, would appreciate hearing (or reading!) them...

Thank you....Gigi
GigiLuna is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2017, 04:52 PM   #2
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
Stats: Low carb for blood sugar control
I just put Kroger Carbmaster yogurt in my ice cream maker. I have one of the simple hand-operated ones that you freeze the bowl.

Last edited by sbwertz; 08-03-2017 at 04:56 PM..
sbwertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:58 AM   #3
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Healthy Recipes has a fairly simple Raspberry Frozen Yogurt recipe. Splendid Low Carbing has a Strawberry Frozen Yogurt Recipe. I have other recipes-if you are looking for something in particular, let me know.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:56 PM   #4
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/118/135 Start:size 22, now size 0-2.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 10 years.
Welcome, Gigi!

I've made dozens of batches of LC ice cream, and although I've never done a frozen yogurt, I'd guess that FY would be much easier than cooking an ice cream base.

I'd start with a good quality yogurt, plain. My personal fave is Fage, but Chobani would be good. Fage has the least water to cause ice crystals, but is more expensive (because you're getting more product when there's less water.)

Next, flavor it with a sugar free syrup, depending on what flavor you want. I've had great success with Monin strawberry, peach, and caramel. Alternatively, you can add Lorann Flavor Fountain in whatever flavor you like. All the flavors I've tried of the FF are excellent, except for the chocolate fudge, which was nasty. I've used lemon custard, orange cream, black raspberry, blueberry, and peach mango. Remember that the syrups are sweetened, but FF is not, so you'll need to adjust the amount of sweetener accordingly. If you want vanilla, use either vanilla beans, vanilla bean paste, and/or a high quality extract. Another product that works well are Lorann essential oils. You'll only need a few drops of them.

Next, sweeten it to taste with whatever product you like best. If you opt to use xylitol, granular Splenda, or erythritol, be sure to powder it very finely first in a coffee mill before you add to your yogurt, because it won't dissolve if it is used in its crystalline form, and you don't want crunchy ice cream! You can also use liquid Splenda and/or liquid stevia to achieve the right degree of sweetness. Go easy on the stevia, as it's way too easy to use too much and turn things bitter. Combinations of sweeteners work best here, so feel free to try a few, tasting after each addition.

Remember that when you freeze a food, it requires more sweetening than one that will be served at room temp. The freezing temp makes it harder for our taste buds to perceive sweetness as intensely, so you might want to consider oversweetening slightly.

Because sugar is a highly textural element of ice cream, once you remove it, it's necessary to take one or more measures to help your product not to freeze rock hard. Choices include adding some glycerine, a bit of Vitafiber, and an excellent quality vodka, like Gray Goose. It has been noted here that with vodka, use of a cheap one can ruin your product. The smoother your vodka is, the better, which is why it's best to invest in a good quality vodka. Plus, rest assured that you will never taste a top-shelf vodka in your frozen product. You can use only one of those items, but the more you employ, the better your chances are of helping your product's finished texture, scoopability, and mouth feel. Any one of them alone will help.

Make sure that your base is well chilled for a few hours, then churn-freeze in your ice cream maker. These measures should produce an excellent frozen yogurt.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:43 AM   #5
GigiLuna
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GigiLuna
Thank you all!

@sbwertz - does your ice cream maker churn the yogurt just as it is into the same texture as regular frozen yogurt/ice cream?

Hi Baricat - I do plan to experiment (although it might get expensive) with different stevia formulas and brands. For some reason, I am very very sensitive to Splenda/sucralose and cannot abide it nearly all recipes. I have Vitafiber syrup, erythritol and xylitol, etc. use for sugar bulk and some sweetening, but seems like most ice cream websites recommend a stabilizer like glycerin or gelatin - but I think your vodka accomplishes the same?l my first experiment did not turn out well, the ice cream while it tasted good, melted too quickly. I figured I would try ice cream on the way to frozen yogurt - I really appreciate the tarter flavor and higher protein content of FroYo.

thanks again.....still working on this!
GigiLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:32 PM   #6
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/118/135 Start:size 22, now size 0-2.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 10 years.
Gigi, yes, it will set you back a buck or two (!) to experiment, but even the ones that don't turn out perfectly are still pretty good. It's a win-win!

No problem in leaving out Splenda in any form. Another sweetener you might like is Just Like Sugar. It's made from chickory root, and blends well with erythritol and stevia. I don't tend to use xylitol because the one time I did, it caused acute gastric distress, as did polyD, so they're both a no-go for me. I've also used monk fruit in my proprietary mix that I powder up in my coffee grinder, with great success.

As for the vodka, I've never noticed that it makes my product melt appreciably faster. The mix still freezes quite solid, just not so rock hard that I sprain my wrist trying to scoop it. The glycerine doesn't accomplish quite the same thing as vodka. Glycerine is for reducing the tendency of the water/liquid in the mix to form crystals as it freezes. The vodka merely helps it to freeze a little less rock hard. Vitafiber makes the texture smoother. Just don't overdo it, or your product can end up kinda "stretchy," as many describe it. One Tb has proven to be the sweet spot in my experimentations.

Each of those things accomplishes a slightly different function, which is why using more than one maximizes the improvement in sensory quality, which is the object of the game.

We like a degree of tartness in many of the ice cream flavors I make, too, particularly in the strawberry and peach. I sub sour cream for part of the heavy cream called for in the recipe, and the tart little kick really ratchets up the flavor exponentially. Yogurt bases have much the same effect.

Wishing you hours of fun perfecting your frozen yogurt!

Last edited by Baricat; 08-06-2017 at 06:37 PM..
Baricat is offline   Reply With Quote