Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 07-23-2017, 09:24 PM   #1
marshamarsha
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marshamarsha
Stats: 270/175/140
WOE: low carb my way!
Start Date: 2011
BochaSweet Sweetener

I've found this zero carb sweetener. was curious if anyone has tried it and their thoughts on it. i've tried it and think its too good to be true.
marshamarsha is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2017, 04:34 AM   #2
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I looked it up and it has 3 carbs per teaspoon, one of which is fiber. I don't know how that equates with 0 calories, but I think you are right to be skeptical.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:51 AM   #3
Happy Bubbles
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Happy Bubbles
Here is a copy of the correspondence between my super smart son (I know...every son is super smart!!) and me. Doesn't really clear things up, though.

Me: "This is a new sweetener made from the kobucha pumpkin. It's supposed to really taste like sugar. I've researched it but I don't understand all the chemistry involved. It has 3 grams of carb in the form of pentose and no calories. I learned that pentose is a monosaccharide. Is that sugar alcohol? Would you mind looking into BochaSweet and let me know what you think?'

Son:"I don’t see any good information. They claim it is Paleo friendly in their FAQ: "BochaSweet™ does not interfere with the body producing ketones due to an absence of carbohydrates. Five-carbon sugars do not spike blood sugar levels.” They do not mention low carb. A monosaccharide isn’t a sugar alcohol. I can’t find much other than that one pentose, Ribose, has only slightly lower bioavailability than glucose. That makes me think Ribose is not low-carb, but I don’t know which pentose is in BochaSweet."

So, if the carbs in it are not deductible as in the case of sugar alcohol or fiber then I would guess that we're looking at 2 carbs per teaspoon. But I know from nothing!

Last edited by Happy Bubbles; 07-24-2017 at 06:55 AM..
Happy Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:58 AM   #4
Dottie
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: ADF mostly Paleo
I wonder if it's similar to the Natural Mate one that uses pumpkin extract?
http://www2.netrition.com/natural_ma...rythritol.html

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

Be sure to visit Netrition on Facebook for the latest products and deals!
https://www.facebook.com/Netritioncom-210889832433/

**Every day is up to you. You can choose for it to be a good day or a bad day.**
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:17 PM   #5
marshamarsha
Senior LCF Member

what i can find is that bochasweet is a Pentose (5 molecule) sugar, like xylitol and other sugar alcohols. so if bochasweet is a pentose sugar and like other more familiar sugar alcohols, then i assume its safe for us to use. the website states that is a zero calorie and zero glycemic and zero carbs.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:12 AM   #6
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
That would be terrific.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 05:43 PM   #7
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
I saw this about a month ago and have been following and considering ordering some. I was burned pretty bad by the allulose (it didn't taste bad, it just gave me horrible gastric symptoms) and didn't feel like spending more money on a sweetener that I might not like. I didn't trust the Amazon reviewers.

I'll go ahead and give it a go since someone here has actually tried it. I'm not really "low" carb anymore, but I'm still watching carbs and counting calories, so I'm definitely still looking to save on both.
EnglishLit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:06 PM   #8
marshamarsha
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishLit View Post
I saw this about a month ago and have been following and considering ordering some. I was burned pretty bad by the allulose (it didn't taste bad, it just gave me horrible gastric symptoms) and didn't feel like spending more money on a sweetener that I might not like. I didn't trust the Amazon reviewers.

I'll go ahead and give it a go since someone here has actually tried it. I'm not really "low" carb anymore, but I'm still watching carbs and counting calories, so I'm definitely still looking to save on both.
let me know what you think...
Old 07-31-2017, 08:01 PM   #9
ChelePA
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ChelePA
So far it's my family's favorite. I use it mostly for pancakes and waffles. And some baked products on occasion.

I also wonder if it's too good to be true.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:48 PM   #10
marshamarsha
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelePA View Post
So far it's my family's favorite. I use it mostly for pancakes and waffles. And some baked products on occasion.

I also wonder if it's too good to be true.
i'm going to do some testing with my blood sugar and/or see if i stall. I didn't notice a stall after i used it the first time, but that was one time. Have you tested your blood sugars after using it?
Old 08-06-2017, 11:31 AM   #11
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Just used this in my cup of coffee with no other sweeteners.

Waiting for the other (gastric related, I'm sure) shoe to drop because currently, this stuff is too good to be true. I don't like sugar in my coffee and this stuff tastes EXACTLY like sugar. lol I struggled to finish the cup, but trust me, this is a GOOD thing.

If I'm not clutching my stomach a couple of hours from now, I am going to make a small pizookie with it and see how it fares against my Whey Low, which is currently my #1 sweetener.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:45 AM   #12
RexsreineSC
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RexsreineSC
WOE: LC, lower fat, higher protein
Start Date: off and on for ten years
EnglishLit, I have used Whey Low, too, and like it very much.

I have read very conflicting information on its nutrition - whether it is truly low carb, low glycemic, lower caloric, etc., etc.

What's your take on it?

Thanks!

Ginny in SC
RexsreineSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:32 AM   #13
MrsBrownw/LovelyDoters
Senior LCF Member

I can't find Whey Low. I've googled, searched Netrition and Amazon, no luck. Where do you find it?

"It just goes to show ya....There's aallllways somethin'!" Rosanne Rosanadana
MrsBrownw/LovelyDoters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:49 AM   #14
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexsreineSC View Post
EnglishLit, I have used Whey Low, too, and like it very much.

I have read very conflicting information on its nutrition - whether it is truly low carb, low glycemic, lower caloric, etc., etc.

What's your take on it?

Thanks!

Ginny in SC
There is part of me that is really skeptical and I don't feel 100% confident using it as my main sweetener, even though it works for me. I usually do half Whey Low, half erythritol in my baking and that seems to be a decent combination, and also less expensive and readily available for me (my local grocery stores sells both).

I think Whey Low should be used on a case by case basis. My Mom is diabetic and uses it and says it doesn't affect her blood sugar at all. I am trying to lose the last of this stubborn weight and am on a strict calorie diet, and I lose eating foods with Whey Low, so it might work the way they claim. I'm not a scientist so I don't *quite* understand the science behind it, but I think they would have been sued and/or investigated by now if they were lying about their claims, I think the company has been around for about 15 years now.

I purchase Whey Low on their site as it is no longer sold on Amazon. I buy it in bulk and send half of the order to my mother. My local grocery store also carries the regular granulated version, as does a lot of Whole Foods stores, so if I run out it's no big deal, I can just run and pick it up as easily as Splenda or Truvia.
I think I'm going to continue to order Whey Low Brown for recipes calling for brown sugar, but will begin to use/experiment with BochaSweet in place of regular Whey Low Granular for right now. Whey Low at 4 calories per tsp can't beat 0 calories.
I just hope BochaSweet comes down in price soon. I'm going to purchase a bulk order, but $16 per pound is very hard to swallow right now.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:46 PM   #15
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
Englishlit, Marshamarsha, how does the bochasweet measure? Just looked at the website. 1 tsp of this equals 1 tsp reg. sugar? yes? For sure expensive, but since a lot of use use more than 1 sweetner in a mix, could be part of a mix. Interesting.
JJJ'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:19 AM   #16
RexsreineSC
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RexsreineSC
WOE: LC, lower fat, higher protein
Start Date: off and on for ten years
EnglishLit, thanks for your personal stories concerning Whey Low. I'm not diabetic (though Mom and Grandma both were in their later years) so I don't take blood sugar readings.

Mixing Whey Low with other sweeteners is a great idea. Why didn't I think of that before?

I can't get Whey Low here in any store and nearest Whole Foods is over an hour away.

I buy Whey Low online. You can almost always find a 15% off coupon.

Ginny in SC
RexsreineSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:31 PM   #17
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ'sMom View Post
Englishlit, Marshamarsha, how does the bochasweet measure? Just looked at the website. 1 tsp of this equals 1 tsp reg. sugar? yes? For sure expensive, but since a lot of use use more than 1 sweetner in a mix, could be part of a mix. Interesting.

To me it measures one for one with regular sugar. I plan to use it with erythritol and maybe Whey Low.

My main sweeteners right now are:

Whey Low
Ideal Sweetener
Erythritol
Just Like Sugar
Vitafiber

I will fit the BochaSweet in there somewhere. lol
Old 08-08-2017, 04:13 PM   #18
marshamarsha
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ'sMom View Post
Currently i have only used it by itself. I my experiment with other sweetners because as Englishlit mentioned, it is expensive. I have come to the conclusion that the taste of Buchasweet is superior to pretty much anything else i've tried. and i've tried every single one out there. Literally, every single one. i haven't noticed an aftertaste, cooling effect or other so in that regard alone i'm willing to spend the extra money if it taste great and bakes great, which so far it has. other than the price i can't complain much about it.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:42 PM   #19
GigiLuna
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GigiLuna
I wonder if it is recommended for diabetics? whether a group has tested their response to it.
GigiLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:37 PM   #20
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

I made jumbo blueberry muffins with this sweetener alone (no other sweeteners used), and the muffins came out fabulously with no hint of aftertaste whatsoever. Since it was made with a combo of whole wheat white flour and soya powder, I'm fairly certain I could pass these off to my husband, but I WON'T. Let him eat his Costco muffins daily, these are mine.

I mentioned upthread that I was testing this stuff to make sure that I didn't have any adverse reactions to it, and so far I haven't. I double over at the mere sight of Tagatose and I don't do so well with poly d and certain types of xylitol (made from corn), but this has been a pleasant surprise. I've noticed that I am ... don't know how to describe it, a little more regular with this stuff in my diet, but it's like I've been eating extra veggies, or fiber, or an extra cup of coffee per day. There's no pain, no discomfort, no clearing out the room or any other maltitol-like troubles.

I only weigh in once a month now, but I doubt this will make me gain weight since my diet is pretty lean and my calories are strictly controlled, I can't imagine this derailing me in any way. I definitely recommend that if you're curious and looking for a stellar, 0 calorie sweetener, to give this a go. I'm so impressed and cautiously optimistic that this sweetener is going to change the game for all of us.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:46 PM   #21
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: OMAD
just ordered some!
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:43 PM   #22
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

well, sadly, this sweetener is not for me. I have the same noxious, gaseous reaction as I do to xylitol. Too bad, because it really does taste like sugar. sad face.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:54 PM   #23
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Oh no ouizoid, that's too bad! I did have a few issues the first couple of times I tried it, but nothing like something like Tagatose. I think there was an adjustment period, because now I am eating it every day and not having any issues at all.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:39 PM   #24
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/118/135 Start:size 22, now size 0-2.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 10 years.
Oh, NO, ouizoid! I had been flirting with pulling the trigger on this one because of all the glowing things that have been reported, but now, no way. Too expensive for the possibility that I'd end up sick again. I can't take xylitol, either, even in small amounts, and polyD is devil dust!

I wish companies with expensive sweeteners would give out a small packet upon request to potential customers. I just got one from Splenda Naturals after filling out an online form.

Thanks for the heads-up. You did your public service for the day!
Old 08-17-2017, 04:30 PM   #25
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baricat View Post
Oh, NO, ouizoid! I had been flirting with pulling the trigger on this one because of all the glowing things that have been reported, but now, no way. Too expensive for the possibility that I'd end up sick again. I can't take xylitol, either, even in small amounts, and polyD is devil dust!

I wish companies with expensive sweeteners would give out a small packet upon request to potential customers. I just got one from Splenda Naturals after filling out an online form.

Thanks for the heads-up. You did your public service for the day!
I AGREE!! They do it for packages of protein powder! I have so many bags of sweetener I should just throw out,--due to my frugal nature. A little sample would have told the tale--but I'm sure they know that.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:35 PM   #26
marshamarsha
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishLit View Post
Oh no ouizoid, that's too bad! I did have a few issues the first couple of times I tried it, but nothing like something like Tagatose. I think there was an adjustment period, because now I am eating it every day and not having any issues at all.
I'm with EnglishLit on this one. the more i had it the better my body loved it. don't know exactly why, but at this point i didn't care. it tastes great without any aftertaste and its easy to use. no more conversion charts to figure out just how much to add for this or that or combinations of sweetners.

Believe it or not, when i first started using or drinking stevia my body hated it. i'd get horrible headaches and stomach upset. so i stopped using it, plus i personally thought it tasted nasty. fastforward to now, i can now enjoy zevia drinks, but thats about it. the aftertaste is still too bitter for me in anything else other than drinks. my baked goods have tasted wonderful with the BochaSweet. I've been at this lowcarb/keto lifestyle for 5 years now and this has made my life so much easier. I'll take easier anyday if it lets me live my life the way i need and want to.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:42 AM   #27
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

I completely agree, Marsha!! The LC life really IS so much easier in countless ways.

What were your initial symptoms with this sweetener? When I get them, like with xylitol and polyD, it's way worse than gas. What Happens to me makes me long for only gas. The last one nearly had me in the ER for IV fluids! Anyone who has used Bocha Sweet, can you please share your adverse reactions, and a little something about the severity?

Trying to weigh out the benefit vs the liability. Thanks for any help you can give.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:44 AM   #28
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

I finished the bag. The first couple of times I used it I wasn't sure it would work out for me, but my body is used to it now and it doesn't even have that "coffee" effect anymore. I made a batch of spice muffins using it as the main sweetener, and I have one for breakfast every morning with no ill effects. I'm also putting it in my coffee and sprinkling it on my cereal.

I would definitely give it a few more tries and not write it off completely. This sweetener is different than the other sweeteners on the market, but I'm not sure how or why. No matter how much I tried, I just could not build up a tolerance to tagatose and poly d.

I just ordered six pounds of this stuff! So I'm committed now! Lots of fall baking coming up, I want to be prepared.

Edit to add:

First time I used it, i put 4 teaspoons in my coffee and was so, so uncomfortable. It was disappointing and I was having a reaction similar to tagatose and allulose. I will say that it took awhile to feel the discomfort, but it came eventually.

The next day and in the days following, I only used a teaspoon in my coffee along with my standard sweeteners. The gastric discomfort from the first day was gone, but it had a gentle laxative effect on me for a few days, which I didn't mind (I struggle with being irregular, no matter how much fiber and water I add to my diet).

I have made muffins and cookies with it, sprinkled it on cereal and I use it in my coffee daily. Fortunately, all gastric side effects are now gone. Unfortunately, it's not even giving me that gentle laxative effect anymore, which means my body is totally used to it. Bummer.

Last edited by EnglishLit; 08-18-2017 at 10:50 AM..
Old 08-18-2017, 01:25 PM   #29
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I guess I could try it again and see what happens--It gave me noxious gas the two times I tried it. The first time, I had boiled a bunch of it to see if it caramelized (it didn't), so I thought it was just too high a concentration. The second time, I used it as a sweetener for some plain yogurt. no go..
Old 08-18-2017, 07:39 PM   #30
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

A big thank you and a tip of the hat to EnglishLit and ouizoid for being so forthcoming about their experiences. I'm so very afraid after my last brush with severe dehydration, courtesy of polyD. The experience was so awful (I was by myself and came way too close to losing consciousness) that it left me hinky about spending a bundle to possibly repeat the experience. Think I'll put it on hold for now, while I watch for more to come here and share their experiences with it. it sounds wonderful, and I wish it didn't cause a couple of our esteemed members some distress. Just need to get a more complete picture before I pull the trigger.