Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 06-13-2017, 02:53 AM   #91
nortonsmom
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nortonsmom
where can I find Sharon Wertzs book? I would love to make low carb pasta!
nortonsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2017, 07:40 AM   #92
judytab
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonsmom View Post
where can I find Sharon Wertzs book? I would love to make low carb pasta!
An excellent book. You can find it online - it's called "That's Low Carb?!". I have it on Kindle. It's the second edition with ninety recipes. She has posted a lot of them on LCF, but with the book, they are all easy to find in one place and easy to follow on my Kindle.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:40 AM   #93
nortonsmom
Junior LCF Member

thank you! I will be looking for it!
Old 06-16-2017, 11:49 AM   #94
Luv2loose
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2loose
Stats: 199/174/154, 150
WOE: low carb/Atkins
Start Date: Aug 2015 (second time)
FINALLY!!!

After many attempts and many failures, I finally got the perfect loaf of Sharon's bread. I have no idea what I did right. But it worked. I made the wheat and it was way past good, it was awesome. I hope I can to it again. BUT, there was one big problem... my granddaughter LOVES it.(she's very picky) Guess it won't last very long.

Thank you Sharon for the recipe and everyone for all your helpful hints.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:47 AM   #95
rhea98
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rhea98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2loose View Post
After many attempts and many failures, I finally got the perfect loaf of Sharon's bread. I have no idea what I did right. But it worked. I made the wheat and it was way past good, it was awesome. I hope I can to it again. BUT, there was one big problem... my granddaughter LOVES it.(she's very picky) Guess it won't last very long.

Thank you Sharon for the recipe and everyone for all your helpful hints.
Hooray! Great feeling (even better tasting). I did the pumpernickel yesterday. The only change was reg. molasses (blackstrap is in my cart for the next order). I wasn't too sure about the rise. It doubled before baking but, unlike the other baking powder breads, it didn't seem to do much more in the oven. It was great--NO sign of an improper rise. My slices are really thin so I get about 25/loaf. I think I should have sliced the pumpernickel a little fatter (esp. as I usually make a sandwich from one slice)--just for the sense of regular pumpernickel. For me, I'll probably half the salt next time.
The raisin bread is still DH's favorite. For us, NEITHER of these breads has had any of the carbalose taste. But, we're at the age of losing taste sensitivity.
rhea98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 10:07 AM   #96
SunnyKsGirl
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SunnyKsGirl
Stats: 155/149/134 5'5"
WOE: Low Carb & Low Calorie
Start Date: June 2016
Sharon has a book??? Oh, my! I had no idea, and just whipped over to Amazon to get one...too cool.

Besides Jennifer Eloff, who else in LCF might have published recipes?

TIA -
Old 06-18-2017, 01:09 PM   #97
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
Stats: Low carb for blood sugar control
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhea98 View Post
Hooray! Great feeling (even better tasting). I did the pumpernickel yesterday. The only change was reg. molasses (blackstrap is in my cart for the next order). I wasn't too sure about the rise. It doubled before baking but, unlike the other baking powder breads, it didn't seem to do much more in the oven. It was great--NO sign of an improper rise. My slices are really thin so I get about 25/loaf. I think I should have sliced the pumpernickel a little fatter (esp. as I usually make a sandwich from one slice)--just for the sense of regular pumpernickel. For me, I'll probably half the salt next time.
The raisin bread is still DH's favorite. For us, NEITHER of these breads has had any of the carbalose taste. But, we're at the age of losing taste sensitivity.
Don't change the salt...it is necessary for the rise.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:01 PM   #98
Luv2loose
Senior LCF Member

Great breads and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKsGirl View Post
Sharon has a book??? Oh, my! I had no idea, and just whipped over to Amazon to get one...too cool.

Besides Jennifer Eloff, who else in LCF might have published recipes?

TIA -
I got my book on the web also. There are so many "helpful hints and suggestions" in it, besides all the recipes. I can't wait to bake another one of the "umteen" I liked. Just put my Netrition order in ....now the WAIT.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:49 AM   #99
nortonsmom
Junior LCF Member

ok! I got the book, got the download book and bought all the supplies!!! I made a loaf this morning and it fell in the middle?? Any idea what I did wrong?? Hubs said it smelled good, it browned up nice, it just caved in....
And I cooked it in the roaster outside...so nice to not heat the house up...I am going to wear that thing out
Old 07-01-2017, 12:23 PM   #100
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Sorry to be so late responding...my life is complicated right now. Husband has a MRSA infection and is on daily IV infusions and LOTS of doctor appointments!

Falling is usually over-raising or dough too wet. If the humidity is high, you may need to reduce the water a bit. It will pick up water from the air! If the dough seems a bit too wet add tablespoon or so of Carbquik or WPI 5000. Put it in the oven when it is only about half an inch above the pan. Be sure to use the smaller bread pans...8.5 x 4.5, not the 9x5". It will raise more in the oven, and won't fall.

Last edited by sbwertz; 07-01-2017 at 12:26 PM..
sbwertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 01:59 PM   #101
Barbo
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/145/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
So sorry to hear that Dh is ailing. Let's hope they jump right on that bug and

"Flit" it...

BTW your book arrived today, I got one for daughter Chris's birthday.
She is so interested in how your pumpernickel came out that I had to get
it for her.

Sharon do you ever make probiotic sauerkraut or cabbage? I started 2 quarts on
Tuesday and while it's looking good, no bubbles yet. I'm impatient.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:24 PM   #102
majomor
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: majomor
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwertz View Post
Here are my three basic yeast bread recipes. The white is a variation on Kevin's carbquik white bread recipe, updated for modern ingredients and increased in size to make a bigger loaf. The wheat and pumpernickel are variations on the basic recipe. Fresh yeast is VERY important, so if you aren't getting bread that looks like the picture, try using new yeast.

(I have a little electric slicer, and slice these about 3/8" thick and get 20-22 slices per loaf!)

Kevin’s Basic Carbquik White Bread

This my variation on a recipe developed by Kevinpa (from the Low Carb Friends board). It makes the best low carb white bread I have ever eaten. It has been adapted for a bread maker, but you can make it by hand or in a stand mixer with a dough hook. It makes a great pizza crust, too.

Note: Because these breads have no preservatives, be sure to keep them in the refrigerator.

(I have shown the WPI and Carbquik in grams because I have found it is difficult to get consistent measurements with measuring cups.)

1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup wheat protein isolate 8000 (33g)
2 cups Carbquik (215 g)
1/2 cup wheat protein isolate 5000 (74g)
2 tbsp Resistant Wheat Starch 75
1 tbsp Thick it Up
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp sugar (to feed the yeast)
1 tbsp yeast

1 cup warm water
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 large eggs
Artificial sweetener equal to 1/4 cup sugar (I use liquid sucralose.)
1 tbsp avocado oil

Set the bread maker to manual mode, (or use a stand mixer with a dough hook.)

Combine all the dry ingredient in the pan of the breadmaker, then put the wet ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mix the wet ingredients well and warm them in the microwave for 30 seconds.

Turn on the breadmaker and let the dry ingredients mix for a few seconds, then pour in the wet ingredients. (If using a stand mixer, mix for 1 minute with the paddle then mix for 10 minutes with the dough hook.)

If the dough is too stiff, and breaks into more than one ball, add a little more water. If it is too soft and won’t form a ball, add a little more WPI 5000. When the manual cycle completes, (or after about 10 minutes of kneading) form the dough and put it in a greased bread pan and set in a warm place to rise. (Because of the baking powder in the recipe, the dough “kicks” in the oven and will rise another inch or two, so don’t let it rise too high before baking)

When dough doubles in size, bake it in a preheated 350 degree oven for 40 minutes until golden brown.

NOTE: Don’t let this bread rise twice or it will ruin it. Form it into a loaf as soon as it is finished kneading, and let it rise and bake it.

Makes 16 half inch slices at 2g carbs per slice

For Rolls: When the manual cycle completes, remove the dough from the breadmaker and form it into rolls. It will make 8 hamburger rolls or 16 dinner rolls.

For hamburger rolls, substitute 1/4 cup more WPI 5000 for the 1/4 cup WPI 8000 to make a softer crust. Cut the dough into eighths and form each piece into a ball. Flatten the ball out to a "patty" about 4 inches across and half an inch high. Place the rolls on a baking sheet and put in a warm place to rise for about 20 to 30 minutes. When they have risen, bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown.

For dinner rolls, cut the dough into 16 pieces, form each into a ball and place side by side in a 9x13 inch greased baking pan. Raise until double, and bake at 375 for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.

Wheat Bread

Note: Because these breads have no preservatives, be sure to keep them in the refrigerator.

(I have shown the WPI and Carbquik in grams because I have found it is difficult to get consistent measurements with measuring cups.)

1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups Carbquik (215 g)
3/4 cup ground pecans
1/4 cup wheat bran
1 tbsp Thick it Up
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp sugar (eaten by yeast)
1 tbsp yeast

1 cup warm water
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 large eggs
Artificial sweetener equal to 1/4 cup sugar (I use liquid sucralose)

Set the breadmaker to manual mode.

Combine all the dry ingredient in the pan of the breadmaker, and then put the wet ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mix the wet ingredients well and warm them in the microwave for 30 seconds.

Turn on the breadmaker and let the dry ingredients mix for a few seconds, and then pour in the wet ingredients. (If using a stand mixer, mix for 1 minute with the paddle, then 10 minutes with the dough hook.) The dough will be too soft at first, but will firm up and make a ball after it kneads for a few minutes. If the dough is too stiff, and breaks into more than one ball, add a little more water. If it is too soft and won’t form a ball, add a little more WPI 5000.

Don't let the dough rise in the breadmaker. Take it out as soon as the knead cycle ends (or after about 10 minutes of kneading) and form the dough. Put it into a greased bread pan and set in a warm place to rise. If you let it rise twice it will ruin it. (Because of the baking powder in the recipe, the dough “kicks” in the oven and will rise another inch or two, so don’t let it rise too high before baking)

When the dough doubles in size, bake it in a preheated 350 degree oven for 40 minutes until golden brown. Turn the loaf out onto a rack to cool.

Yields 16 half inch slices per loaf, 2.5g carbs per slice.

Pumpernickel Bread

1/2 tsp salt
2 cups Carbquik (215 g)
1 tbsp Thick it Up
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp black strap molasses (eaten by yeast)
3 tbsp Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa powder
1 tbsp instant coffee
1 tbsp yeast
2 tsp whole caraway seeds
1/2 tsp ground caraway seed*

*NOTE: You can use just 1 tbsp whole caraway seed, but the ground seed gives a more intense flavor that mixes all through the bread. Grind the seeds in a coffee grinder, or buy it ground.

Artificial sweetener equal to 1/2 cup sugar (I use liquid sucralose)
1 cup warm water
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 large eggs
1 tbsp avocado oil

Set the breadmaker to manual mode.

Combine all the dry ingredients and the molasses in the pan of the breadmaker, and then measure the wet ingredients into a mixing bowl. Mix the wet ingredients well and warm them in the microwave for 30 seconds.

Turn on the breadmaker and let the dry ingredients mix for a few seconds, then pour in the wet ingredients (If using a stand mixer, mix for 1 minute with the paddle, then 10 minutes with the dough hook.) The dough should be a bit soft. If the dough is too stiff, and breaks into more than one ball, add a little more water. If it is too soft and won’t form a ball, add a little more WPI 5000.

When the manual cycle completes, (or after about 10 minutes of kneading) form the dough and put it into a greased bread pan and set in a warm place to rise. (Because of the baking powder in the recipe, the dough “kicks” in the oven and will rise another inch or two, so don’t let it rise too high before baking) When the dough doubles in size, bake it in a preheated 350 degree oven for 40 minutes until golden brown.

Makes 16 half inch slices at 3.5g carbs per slice.

For rolls, see the white bread recipe above.
Hi , can I use acacia fibre for the thick it up?......I have used it in Birgits pita pockets with vital wheat gluten.....thanks jo
majomor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:45 PM   #103
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

I have no idea. I would say try it and see if it works.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:40 PM   #104
Luv2loose
Senior LCF Member

Oh Sharon, I hope all is getting better. Please keep us informed. Praying for a full recovery.
Diane
Old 07-21-2017, 08:08 AM   #105
nortonsmom
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwertz View Post
Sorry to be so late responding...my life is complicated right now. Husband has a MRSA infection and is on daily IV infusions and LOTS of doctor appointments!

Falling is usually over-raising or dough too wet. If the humidity is high, you may need to reduce the water a bit. It will pick up water from the air! If the dough seems a bit too wet add tablespoon or so of Carbquik or WPI 5000. Put it in the oven when it is only about half an inch above the pan. Be sure to use the smaller bread pans...8.5 x 4.5, not the 9x5". It will raise more in the oven, and won't fall.
thank you! I had actually set it outside to rise as it was warmer outside than in and i bet thats what did it. Saying a prayer that your hubs is doing better now!
Old 07-22-2017, 09:40 AM   #106
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2loose View Post
Oh Sharon, I hope all is getting better. Please keep us informed. Praying for a full recovery.
Diane
He had surgery to remove the diseased bone from his toe, and so far the cultures taken at the time of the surgery are coming back with no growth. If all stays good, the daily IV antibiotic infusions will end on the 30th.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:22 PM   #107
Luv2loose
Senior LCF Member

Thanks really good news Sharon. I keep praying for continued healing.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:56 AM   #108
nortonsmom
Junior LCF Member

have you ever tried to make pita pockets with the dough?? Ive been having better luck baking now and have moved on to hamburger and hot dog style rolls...thanks!
Old 08-12-2017, 05:17 AM   #109
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

I have made something similar. Take the dough after it has raised for about 15 minutes, cut it into small pieces and roll it out thin and cook it on a hot griddle. My mother in law called them "bunuelos" but that is not what most people call bunuelos..
Old 08-14-2017, 12:06 PM   #110
nortonsmom
Junior LCF Member

thanks!! Im going to give it a shot! We are loving being able to have bread and rolls again! thank you so much for your recipes!
Old 08-20-2017, 02:34 PM   #111
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

I'm off to make bread now. I was planning to make it yesterday morning, but life got in the way!