Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 10-26-2016, 10:29 AM   #121
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
I don't know when that program was first aired, or when they did their testing, but I get a bit of a giggle about how they "invented" a new way of dealing with starch - as evidenced by this very thread, and others on this site, a lot of us have been experimenting with this very thing for a while!

THAT aside, it's very interesting reading. We've been doing this for a while now with potatoes - cut into cubes, sprayed lightly with olive oil spray and sprinkled with garlic salt, then ovenroasted at 400* for about an hour til they're browning. We do two big sheet pans at a time (5 pounds of potatoes total) and then let cool to room temp, bag in gallon ziplocs, and freeze. DH then reheats them from frozen when he wants some. He can eat a plateful of those reheated potatoes and feel FULL for several hours!

We've also done likewise with regular pasta, brown rice, quinoa, and the like. I freeze my cracked wheat sourdough bread from Trader Joe's, then quickly defrost in the MW, which effectively heats it up a bit. We can both eat a "normal" portion of any of that stuff and not suffer any rebound from it from a hunger standpoint!

One other study, which I believe is sited somewhere in this thread, suggested that cooking rice with a teaspoon of coconut oil, then chilling/reheating, offered some additional benefits to the resistant starch effect.

I cooked up some Dreamfields pasta, which of course got dissed about the resistant starch thing, and chilled it off, then reheated last night with some Costco pesto (which BTW is VERY good stuff!) and had it as a side dish with our grilled rib steak. It was so yummy, filled me up, and kept me full the rest of the night.

Neither DH nor I tests our blood sugars as we are not diabetic, but strictly from a hunger aspect, the resistant starch theory is very real for us in our own experiences!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2016, 11:22 AM   #122
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
Stats: 2017 - 142.8/137.7/128.2
This is excellent and very compelling information. Thanks for taking the time and effort to share with us Bonbon!
Old 10-26-2016, 11:49 AM   #123
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
I don't know when that program was first aired, or when they did their testing, but I get a bit of a giggle about how they "invented" a new way of dealing with starch - as evidenced by this very thread, and others on this site, a lot of us have been experimenting with this very thing for a while!

THAT aside, it's very interesting reading. We've been doing this for a while now with potatoes - cut into cubes, sprayed lightly with olive oil spray and sprinkled with garlic salt, then ovenroasted at 400* for about an hour til they're browning. We do two big sheet pans at a time (5 pounds of potatoes total) and then let cool to room temp, bag in gallon ziplocs, and freeze. DH then reheats them from frozen when he wants some. He can eat a plateful of those reheated potatoes and feel FULL for several hours!

We've also done likewise with regular pasta, brown rice, quinoa, and the like. I freeze my cracked wheat sourdough bread from Trader Joe's, then quickly defrost in the MW, which effectively heats it up a bit. We can both eat a "normal" portion of any of that stuff and not suffer any rebound from it from a hunger standpoint!

One other study, which I believe is sited somewhere in this thread, suggested that cooking rice with a teaspoon of coconut oil, then chilling/reheating, offered some additional benefits to the resistant starch effect.

I cooked up some Dreamfields pasta, which of course got dissed about the resistant starch thing, and chilled it off, then reheated last night with some Costco pesto (which BTW is VERY good stuff!) and had it as a side dish with our grilled rib steak. It was so yummy, filled me up, and kept me full the rest of the night.

Neither DH nor I tests our blood sugars as we are not diabetic, but strictly from a hunger aspect, the resistant starch theory is very real for us in our own experiences!
Saving all of this information! DH and I are getting older and should start paying more attention to the food that fuels our bodies.

I wonder .... do you think that frozen or refrigerated potatoes might have the same effect? I always keep a bag of Simply Potatoes on hand to make as quick side dishes for my husband, so I'm thinking that maybe he's already getting the benefits from resistant starch.
EnglishLit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 02:02 PM   #124
Charski
Gadget Gal

I've wondered that too, EL - are they cooked first and then frozen? If so then I'd certainly think they've have the same benefits!

Old 10-26-2016, 10:24 PM   #125
MrsBrownw/LovelyDoters
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
I've wondered that too, EL - are they cooked first and then frozen? If so then I'd certainly think they've have the same benefits!
They'd at least have to be blanched or they'd turn brown, right?

"It just goes to show ya....There's aallllways somethin'!" Rosanne Rosanadana
MrsBrownw/LovelyDoters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:09 PM   #126
Barbo
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/145/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
How about frozen hash brown patties that have been cooked, frozen then
a brief re-heat in skillet?
Old 10-27-2016, 11:56 AM   #127
Redeemed
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: 1400 calories a day/carb cycling
Has anyone tested their blood sugar 3 or 4 hours after eating rs pasta? I recall the problem with Dreamfields for some people was that they did not get a blood sugar spike 1 or 2 hours after eating - but rather 3 or 4 hours after eating.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 02:35 PM   #128
Redeemed
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: 1400 calories a day/carb cycling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Has anyone tested their blood sugar 3 or 4 hours after eating rs pasta? I recall the problem with Dreamfields for some people was that they did not get a blood sugar spike 1 or 2 hours after eating - but rather 3 or 4 hours after eating.
Okay - I just read page 3 - so my question was answered.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 02:50 PM   #129
Charski
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBrownw/LovelyDoters View Post
They'd at least have to be blanched or they'd turn brown, right?
Yes, I would think so....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbo View Post
How about frozen hash brown patties that have been cooked, frozen then
a brief re-heat in skillet?
Yes, I would think so too!

Old 10-29-2016, 05:07 PM   #130
Sassay
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sassay
Stats: 255/181/135
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 3/05
Well I tried Dreamfield & Spag Sauce tonight (1 cup total) My BS was 131 before & 2 hours later it was exactly 171. That was only a spike of 40 which I was told is okay but no higher.
I cooked it all this morning & put it in the fridge until dinner & then reheated it. I'm please & will probably have it every month or so. Yea!!!
Old 12-26-2016, 10:22 PM   #131
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
Here's something I ran across that pertains to this discussion. Since I'm diabetic was looking up the GI and GL of br. short grain rice, thinking ah, I might can use it sparingly. Well.........appears as if a "parboiled or converted" white rice has a lower GI index than brown rice. Brown rice is 50, parboiled, Uncle Ben's being one, is 38. One would have to wonder if the cooking then cooling is what does this???? Here's a snippet and the link.
"Brown rice contains all components of the grain kernel: the outer bran, the starchy endosperm and the nutrient-dense germ. Parboiled rice is processed under extreme heat and steam, forcing all the nutrients from the bran to soak right into the endosperm and germ. After a thorough drying process, that bran falls off and is discarded. While you may think that brown rice, which is minimally processed, is lower on the glycemic index, this isn’t the case."

http://www.livestrong.com/article/46...arboiled-rice/
JJJ'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 04:07 AM   #132
TBipp
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ'sMom View Post
Here's something I ran across that pertains to this discussion. Since I'm diabetic was looking up the GI and GL of br. short grain rice, thinking ah, I might can use it sparingly. Well.........appears as if a "parboiled or converted" white rice has a lower GI index than brown rice. Brown rice is 50, parboiled, Uncle Ben's being one, is 38. One would have to wonder if the cooking then cooling is what does this???? Here's a snippet and the link.
"Brown rice contains all components of the grain kernel: the outer bran, the starchy endosperm and the nutrient-dense germ. Parboiled rice is processed under extreme heat and steam, forcing all the nutrients from the bran to soak right into the endosperm and germ. After a thorough drying process, that bran falls off and is discarded. While you may think that brown rice, which is minimally processed, is lower on the glycemic index, this isn’t the case."

http://www.livestrong.com/article/46...arboiled-rice/
Thank You.
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 04:55 PM   #133
Princessbrendag
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Princessbrendag
Stats: 194/129/122 to 130
WOE: Maintenance My Way
Start Date: September 6th 2016
I boiled and then froze up 5 LBs of potatoes and will be using them for pan fries

-64 POUNDS

Weight Loss Journey Link
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=884343

Maintenance Journal Link
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=888201
Princessbrendag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 05:41 AM   #134
Angeloco
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Angeloco
Stats: 135/126/120
WOE: LC
Start Date: September 2011
I boil 5 lbs of potatoes at a time and make smashed potatoes with them. I than wrap individually in foil and freeze in meal size portions in plastic bags. Same with sweet potatoes. So nice to have them ready at meal time to roast with seasonings and oo. I cook pasta and rice and freeze in meal size portions also.