Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 11-15-2014, 03:14 PM   #61
tweedamay
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tweedamay
Stats: 301/284/145
WOE: Keto
Start Date: August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweedamay View Post
30 mins = 97
60 mins = 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Excellent!!

Is this regular pasta, or Dreamfields, that you ate?
I used Ronzi SmartTaste. This is what I fix for the kids. I stopped buying Dreamfields because it's till too high in carbs for Keto.

I'm excited about the results, but a little skeptical still.
tweedamay is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2014, 04:50 AM   #62
sarahatl
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahatl
WOE: No Flour No Sugar
Start Date: May 2013
Quote:
30 mins = 97
60 mins = 96
Those numbers are great. I just do not think I could limit myself to just 1/2 cup of pasta.
sarahatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 05:48 AM   #63
lindaokc
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lindaokc
Stats: 196/153/140?
WOE: atkins/hcg/learning
Start Date: Continual restarting :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahatl View Post
Those numbers are great. I just do not think I could limit myself to just 1/2 cup of pasta.
Ditto....give me a cup, at least maybe 2
Old 11-16-2014, 01:55 PM   #64
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/157/145
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Okay..Question for all you experts..

Can we halve the carbs by heating flour/cooling it/and then baking with it?

Thoughts?????

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 06:33 PM   #65
dawnyama
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
120 mins = 102
That is great
Old 11-17-2014, 04:11 AM   #66
Heidinem
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heidinem
Stats: 130/111/105 (5')
WOE: mostly pescetarian, moderate carbs
Start Date: November 1, 2009
I inadvertently did a reheated pasta experiment. I had no time to cook due to my mom's health and was reheating about 1 cup pasta with spaghetti sauce for dinner. After having pasta for 10 days in a row (Dreamfields) I am 2 lbs heavier.

"obesity is a complex problem and it will not be shoehorned into simplistic hypotheses"
Stephan Guyenet
Heidinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:43 AM   #67
Sueparl
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sueparl
Canned soup???

I find this topic so interesting! I actually bought potato starch for the health benefits. I started with 1/4 teaspoon a day for a few days, and now I'm up to 1/2 teaspoon. I don't feel any different and I haven't gained any weight. I'm planning to work my way up to a tablespoon or more.

My question is about canned soup - Progresso or Chunky. They have so many interesting varieties, and almost all of them have potatoes or pasta or barley. I have a crazy busy life, plus I'm not much of a cook. My blood pressure tends to be low so I'm not afraid of the sodium.

So please tell me what you think--I know the potatoes or barley are already cooked and then cooled. It would be so convenient!!!
Sueparl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:02 AM   #68
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/157/145
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Heidi, Maybe that was too many days of accumulated carbs. You'll get them off.

Hmmm..that is interesting on the soup question. You would have to keep your cans in the fridge of course before reheating.

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:07 AM   #69
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/217/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/NK
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Yes, remember it is cooked and chilled, not just cooled.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:52 AM   #70
drjlocarb
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Subbing
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:05 PM   #71
iakaren
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: iakaren
Stats: 191/195/160
WOE: LC 11/06;CAD 11/11;Struggling now
Start Date: October 28, 2006
Subbing too.
.. ......177.0...174.0....174.0...183.0...184.0...183 .5...185.5....192.0....197.....198.5....197.5
iakaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:29 PM   #72
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
I'm diabetic, so let me tell you a few things after reading this thread, all just my opinion of course. I do believe there is something to this thing of potatoes, etc and resistant starch after cooling. But the testing that some of you are doing, unless you're a diabetic, I'm not so sure accurate results of if this works or not can be had. Reason is, a normal persons body will respond and handle the carbs. Diabetics systems don't handle carbs well, and would give a better reading on if this works. (I think). I would think that a non diabetic would need to experiment around using regular pasta/potatoes the way they're always cooked and ck readings. And then do it again using the cooked/cooling method.
And another thing that does impact readings w/ carbs is amts of fat and fiber consumed w/ the carb. Fats and fiber will lessen an impact of a carb. And to further complicate matters, all diabetics aren't alike in want their bodies will or won't handle. An apple spikes my blood sugar but if I eat full fat cheese w/ the apple, I have the blood sugar #'s of a normal person. But that doesn't work for all diabetics. Meatballs in the sauce should lessen the blood sugar, etc.
But I do believe that we are on to something here.......so for you non diabetics, take the plunge and test using the reg. way of cooking and then try it the cooking/cooling way.
And all testing should be done w/ only that food on a rather empty stomach.
As a diabetic, I will do this w/ potato salad (oh what I'm willing to do for others, lol) in varying amts and see what I come up with and I'll post.
FYI.......the Walmart brand meter and strips are reallllllyyy cheap and very good, it's what I've been using for 2 yrs.
Another fyi........when you test using pasta/potatoes, make sure to post what you had in your dish. Potatoe salad w/eggs? w/ sweet pickle? w/ dill pickle? Potatoes w/ butter? without? Pasta w/ meat? without? Because the sum total of ingredients does matter in what the final blood sugar # will be.

Another tht.......I tend to mix my potatoe salad while the potatoes are hot to absorb the dressing then chill. Or should one chill the pototes and then mix together. Would adding a dressing on a hot potatoe help to coat the "bad carbs" w/ fat and have less of an impact?? Or would it hinder the transformation to a resistant starch? Certainly something to be considered.
JJJ'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:18 PM   #73
tweedamay
Junior LCF Member

Good thoughs, JJJ'sMom!
Old 11-24-2014, 03:15 PM   #74
TBipp
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
I am still thinking of this thread and while making low carb turkey chile, I put my canned beans, drained on a plate in the freezer in advance. I do not test my blood glucose, but thought it could not hurt!

Also, am thinking that sushi with rice may be a bit lower in carbs if some of the carbs in the rice turn into resistant starch when refrgerated.

Just wish we had more information.
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:01 PM   #75
tweedamay
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBipp View Post
I am still thinking of this thread and while making low carb turkey chile, I put my canned beans, drained on a plate in the freezer in advance. I do not test my blood glucose, but thought it could not hurt!

Also, am thinking that sushi with rice may be a bit lower in carbs if some of the carbs in the rice turn into resistant starch when refrgerated.

Just wish we had more information.
Sushi *drool*
Old 12-05-2014, 11:36 AM   #76
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
I read that you should test yourself 4-5 hours after eating pasta to get true results to see if you are spiked or not. Has anyone done that yet?
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:40 AM   #77
ladeeda
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladeeda
Stats: 265/199/175
WOE: Protein Power, modified
Start Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
I read that you should test yourself 4-5 hours after eating pasta to get true results to see if you are spiked or not. Has anyone done that yet?
Are you kidding me? 4-5 hours after I eat I am eating again!
ladeeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:52 AM   #78
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: OMAD
I've been eating a great (pricey) pasta lately--it is made by Tolerant and sold at Target and is made of red lentils. I cook and cool it. It gets very stiff in the fridge, but if I run hot water over it, softens again. I really like it--I should get a meter and test.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:59 AM   #79
lindaokc
Major LCF Poster!

Hubby did the experiment last week. He kept the blood sugar levels approx every 45 min or so, give or take and took them further out. Didn't work for him.
4:08 - 108 (before eating)
4:55 - 103 (after)
5:30 -125
6:08 -119
7:15 - 132
8:30 - 146

The next morning when he checked it, not eating, but upon first getting up, it registered at 200, so we are scrapping the idea. It wasn't too bad the first hour or so, but continued to climb and apparently through the night.

Back to the drawing board
Old 12-15-2014, 11:21 AM   #80
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladeeda View Post
Are you kidding me? 4-5 hours after I eat I am eating again!

I hear ya. I eat about every 3 hours also.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:04 PM   #81
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
Start Date: Jan. 2013
"I read that you should test yourself 4-5 hours after eating pasta to get true results to see if you are spiked or not." Nigel, where would you have read this info??
Spikes in eating occur within the first 2 hrs or less.

Interesting results Linda, does your hubby use insulin? Tell your hubby we appreciate him testing this out.
JJJ'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:09 PM   #82
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
I've been eating a great (pricey) pasta lately--it is made by Tolerant and sold at Target and is made of red lentils. I cook and cool it. It gets very stiff in the fridge, but if I run hot water over it, softens again. I really like it--I should get a meter and test.
It's a little carby, but sometimes (when I'm not actively trying to lose weight) I focus more on how I feel after I eat carbs rather than how many carbs it has. Do you get any side effects from eating this particular pasta?
EnglishLit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 02:42 PM   #83
lindaokc
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ'sMom View Post
"I read that you should test yourself 4-5 hours after eating pasta to get true results to see if you are spiked or not." Nigel, where would you have read this info??
Spikes in eating occur within the first 2 hrs or less.

Interesting results Linda, does your hubby use insulin? Tell your hubby we appreciate him testing this out.

No, hubby is on metformin, doesn't use insulin and watches what he eats. He's slender, having lost 20-30 lbs or so and we eat low carb, so even though he's been diabetic for approx 15 yrs, he can control his diabetes with diet, exercise and prescription.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:56 AM   #84
Barbo
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/145/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
I did a entire blood testing of Dreamfield's pasta a year or two ago.
Not thinking about reheats.

This could be a goal for me to test this theory out on myself soon.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:14 AM   #85
ladeeda
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladeeda
Stats: 265/199/175
WOE: Protein Power, modified
Start Date: April 2004
I do not like the taste of Dreamfield's. I use a gluten free brown rice pasta called Tinkyada. I cook it, chill it, reheat it. Works for me. I am on Metformin because I am on Prednisone. I am on a very low carb diet (12 or less carbs per meal). I don't go up more that 40 points, 2hrs after the pasta.
ladeeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:20 AM   #86
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: OMAD
tinkyada is the best brown rice pasta out there!
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:20 AM   #87
maripose
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maripose
Now that I've officially been diagnosed w type 2 I wanted to experiment with this.

Tried a large bowl of quinoa chilled 24+ hours with kidney beans (reheated in microwave) -- blood sugar 92 two hrs after eating. Not bad!
maripose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:35 AM   #88
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
An article was published in The Blaze yesterday which I am going to quote here:

"Rice is one of those starches that has been blasted for being one of the carbohydrate-rich foods linked to health issues. But scientists say they’ve devised a way to cook rice — white rice included — that significantly cuts down on calories.

Sudhair James, with the College of Chemical Sciences in Sri Lanka, explained that if coconut oil is added to the water and the rice is cooked and cooled in a specific manner, calories could be reduced by 5o to 60 percent.

“After your body converts carbohydrates into glucose, any leftover fuel gets converted into a polysaccharide carbohydrate called glycogen,” James said in a statement, explaining the issue with eating high-carb foods like rice. “Your liver and muscles store glycogen for energy and quickly turn it back into glucose as needed. The issue is that the excess glucose that doesn’t get converted to glycogen ends up turning into fat, which can lead to excessive weight or obesity.”

This research team though found they could increase resistant starch in rice by adding a teaspoon of coconut oil per one-half cup of rice to boiling water. From there, add the rice and cook at a simmer for 40 minutes. If you’re pressed for time (which you’re about to see would mean this recipe is probably not for you), the researchers said you can cook the rice at a boil for only 25 minutes.

After that though, the rice needs to be refrigerated for 12 hours.

“The cooling is essential because amylose, the soluble part of the starch, leaves the granules during gelatinization,” James said. “Cooling for 12 hours will lead to formation of hydrogen bonds between the amylose molecules outside the rice grains which also turns it into a resistant starch.”

You can reheat the rice at this point, if that’s your preference, and enjoy its new lower-calorie benefits.

This method was presented at the 249th National Meeting & Exposition of the American Chemical Society.

(H/T: Washington Post)"

So this is all very interesting to me - I'm trying to read between the lines here a bit - they are saying it "reduces calories" but I conjecture what they REALLY mean is it turns some of the digestible carbs into our friend, resistant starch, which then acts as a fiber rather than a carb, thus effectively lowering the carbs/calories in the dish. The addition of the coconut oil is really interesting. I'm always looking for more ways to incorporate it into my day anyway, so adding 1 tsp. per 1/2 cup of rice when cooking is good.

I wish they had gone into further detail about exactly WHAT the coconut oil is bringing to the party? I'm thinking, because it's a medium-chain fatty acid and is NOT stored but is used as fuel, maybe it's causing the remaining carbs in the rice to also be burned as fuel more quickly?

AND it says, "white rice included" in the types of rice they found this works with, so I'm going to assume that my short-grain brown rice is a good candidate for this treatment!

I'd love some discussion on this article and what you all think is going on here!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:42 AM   #89
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
Ah, here is a further bit that was published elsewhere:

"DENVER, March 23, 2015 -- Scientists have developed a new, simple way to cook rice that could cut the number of calories absorbed by the body by more than half, potentially reducing obesity rates, which is especially important in countries where the food is a staple.

The presentation will take place here at the 249th National Meeting & Exposition of the American Chemical Society (ACS), the world's largest scientific society. The meeting features nearly 11,000 reports on new advances in science and other topics. It is being held through Thursday.

The number of people who are overweight or obese is steadily increasing. As lifestyles change and people become more sedentary, their diets also change. Serving sizes grow, and more food options become available. In addition to consuming more fats and sugars, people may choose to fill up on starchy carbohydrates like rice, which has about 240 calories per cup.

"Because obesity is a growing health problem, especially in many developing countries, we wanted to find food-based solutions," says team leader Sudhair A. James, who is at the College of Chemical Sciences, Colombo, Western, Sri Lanka. "We discovered that increasing rice resistant starch (RS) concentrations was a novel way to approach the problem." By using a specific heating and cooking regimen, he says, the scientists concluded that "if the best rice variety is processed, it might reduce the calories by about 50-60 percent."

He explains that starch can be digestible or indigestible. Starch is a component of rice, and it has both types. Unlike digestible types of starch, RS is not broken down in the small intestine, where carbohydrates normally are metabolized into glucose and other simple sugars and absorbed into the bloodstream. Thus, the researchers reasoned that if they could transform digestible starch into RS, then that could lower the number of usable calories of the rice.

And rice is loaded with starch (1.6 ounces in a cup), says James. "After your body converts carbohydrates into glucose, any leftover fuel gets converted into a polysaccharide carbohydrate called glycogen," he explains. "Your liver and muscles store glycogen for energy and quickly turn it back into glucose as needed. The issue is that the excess glucose that doesn't get converted to glycogen ends up turning into fat, which can lead to excessive weight or obesity."

The team experimented with 38 kinds of rice from Sri Lanka, developing a new way of cooking rice that increased the RS content. In this method, they added a teaspoon of coconut oil to boiling water. Then, they added a half a cup of rice. They simmered this for 40 minutes, but one could boil it for 20-25 minutes instead, the researchers note. Then, they refrigerated it for 12 hours. This procedure increased the RS by 10 times for traditional, non-fortified rice.

How can such a simple change in cooking result in a lower-calorie food? James explains that the oil enters the starch granules during cooking, changing its architecture so that it becomes resistant to the action of digestive enzymes. This means that fewer calories ultimately get absorbed into the body. "The cooling is essential because amylose, the soluble part of the starch, leaves the granules during gelatinization," explains James. "Cooling for 12 hours will lead to formation of hydrogen bonds between the amylose molecules outside the rice grains which also turns it into a resistant starch." Reheating the rice for consumption, he notes, does not affect the RS levels.

He says that the next step will be to complete studies with human subjects to learn which varieties of rice might be best suited to the calorie-reduction process. The team also will check out whether other oils besides coconut have this effect.

###

A press conference on this topic will be held Wednesday, March 25, at 11:30 a.m. Mountain time in the Colorado Convention Center. Reporters may check-in at Room 104 in person, or watch live on YouTube http://bit.ly/ACSLiveDenver. To ask questions, sign in with a Google account.

James acknowledges funding from the College of Chemical Sciences, Industrial Technology Institute, Sri Lanka and other sources.

The American Chemical Society is a nonprofit organization chartered by the U.S. Congress. With more than 158,000 members, ACS is the world's largest scientific society and a global leader in providing access to chemistry-related research through its multiple databases, peer-reviewed journals and scientific conferences. Its main offices are in Washington, D.C., and Columbus, Ohio.

To automatically receive news releases from the American Chemical Society, contact newsroom@acs.org.

Note to journalists: Please report that this research is being presented at a meeting of the American Chemical Society.

Follow us: Twitter | Facebook

Title

Rice (Oryza sativa L.) resistant starch and novel processing methods to increase resistant starch concentration

Abstract

Obesity is an emerging health crisis in many developing countries. To find food based solutions for obesity, rice resistant starch (RS) concentrations and novel ways to increase RS concentrations were studied. A total of 38 Sri Lankan rice varieties were tested; the RS concentrations ranged from 0.30 to 4.65%. The traditional rice varieties had significantly higher RS concentrations than old and improved varieties. Bg 305 had the least RS concentration out of all. However, applying different heating and cooling conditions with pure coconut oil showed RS concentrations increased by at least 10 times. The increase in RS content could be attributed to the increase in RS3 and RS5 types, suggesting potential to increase these types of RS in rice. This study results clearly show that rice, when cooked properly, could be a good low calorie food source for obesity reduction. In-vivo glycemic effects of RS studies are in progress.

Disclaimer: AAAS and EurekAlert! are not responsible for the accuracy of news releases posted to EurekAlert! by contributing institutions or for the use of any information through the EurekAlert system."

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:52 AM   #90
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT + Fast Five
Start Date: June 2012
Judy Barnes Baker linked to an AOL video with considerably less information, but the same topic and conclusion.

I am very interested.