Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 10-23-2014, 12:05 PM   #31
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Not to be negative, but I have done some reading on this and some people experience fatigue and inflammation with raw potato starch.

I am interested in hearing everyone's results.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2014, 04:57 AM   #32
Heidinem
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heidinem
Stats: 130/111/105 (5')
WOE: mostly pescetarian, moderate carbs
Start Date: November 1, 2009
Nigel I was in pretty good shape gut wise before I started this. I did not have problems adjusting to it. My BS is lower by a few points on fasting blood work. No weight loss or gain.

"obesity is a complex problem and it will not be shoehorned into simplistic hypotheses"
Stephan Guyenet
Heidinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:34 PM   #33
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Thank you for letting me know.

I'm always fearful of anything that has the word starch in it.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 04:08 PM   #34
TBipp
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
I am enjoying the possibilities here. I have always felt the best fried potatoes started with cold, pre-cooked potatoes. Carb count is lowest in new, small red potatoes and not the large russets. So, this is a win win with Using precooked small red potatoes turning into resistant starch. Wish there was more research.
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:35 AM   #35
Brino
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Brino
It Works!

First post here.

I've been doing a lot of research on resistant starch. I decided to try the cooked, cooled, and reheated process for myself to see what happens.

I boiled four large potatoes cut into cubes. I then refrigerated them and the next day I fried them in butter with onions. I proceeded to eat a rather large portion (probably 1.5 - 2 cups). I waited two hours then tested my blood sugar. It was normal!

I already knew that things like potato salad were resistant, but I never knew about reheated starches. I'm going to test further by pre-cooking some pasta, then cooling for a day and reheating.
Brino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:58 AM   #36
TBipp
Senior LCF Member

I never knew about potato salad!

This opens up possibilitites for pasta salad, potato salad, etc. Of course, it would have been nice to know this in early summer.

One article I read said the potatoes/pasta should not be reheated to over 140 degrees but it sounds like it does not matter based upon everyone's reported results.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:28 AM   #37
Brino
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Brino
It almost sounds too good to be true, but prior to this, my blood sugar would have spiked quite a bit after eating fried potatoes.

I can't help but to wonder what would happen if I took a loaf of my favorite Italian bread and froze/reheated it????
Brino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:35 AM   #38
TBipp
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brino View Post
I can't help but to wonder what would happen if I took a loaf of my favorite Italian bread and froze/reheated it????
I have read a few articles that said freezing the bread would turn part of the carbs into resistant starch. Maybe research the resistant starch blog articles by Mark Sisson--that may be where I read it.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:17 AM   #39
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
Hi Brino! Glad to see you here.

I will look forward to further updates from you on this thread re: your blood sugar readings after trying the various items.

I always buy bread and stuff it in the freezer, and we also make our own sprouted wheat bread and that generally goes in the freezer too, until we need it. We don't often reheat the bread though unless we're making Cubanos or cheesy garlic bread, so not sure how the freezing plays into the whole deal here. I DO know that DH, who is insulin resistant, has no problems with the bread the way we're doing it but he doesn't test blood sugars so this is of great interest to me - although I realize that everyone reacts differently, it gives me some hope!

Yeah, potato salad, yum!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:50 AM   #40
Deb34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Stats: 235.3/???/199
WOE: Fung Fasting/Carb Addicts Diet-original
Start Date: started again Apr 2017
even though its freezing here, all of a sudden I feel like making pasta or potato salad! thanks Brino for doing some experiments and testing. I wonder if making potatoes into soup and chilling overnight and reheating the soup would be the same? I'd love to have some warm cheddar potato soup!

"Fasting: the Anti-Diet" - Jason Fung
Deb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:12 PM   #41
dreeza
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dreeza
I have been buying sour dough bread locally for years. Most of it is frozen and after thawing is toasted. I'm not diabetic, so I don't test. But I did notice that I can lose weight even when eating it. I always thought it had to do with its
being sourdough but maybe not.
I think I'll get a glucometer and see
dreeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 04:48 AM   #42
Clues
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Clues
My tests are taking a lot longer than I expected. After years of reading about people testing a certain bread or pasta and reporting back, I thought it would be fairly straightforward. The first monitor I got seemed to be producing odd results (Truetest), so I got an additional monitor that uses a different test enzyme (Bayer). Right now, it doesn't seem like either one is producing a real number, but if I can get them to at least show consistent numbers for each monitor, I think I can use that to gauge a spike. Maybe.

I did try testing after eating some freshly cooked potatoes, and the number rose by about 10 for each monitor, however sometimes the number rises by 10 after a low carb lunch, so I'm not sure what that means. What do you all consider to be a "spiked" number?

One other thing I've found out while working through all this is that the FDA only mandates that these monitors be accurate within 20%. That's a pretty big range, and I can't believe people have to make insulin decisions based on that.
Clues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:04 PM   #43
tweedamay
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tweedamay
Stats: 301/284/145
WOE: Keto
Start Date: August 2014
Newbie to the forum here! Hi all!

I'm just posting to follow the thread. The thought of eating potato (sweet potato too?!) and a little pasta has my head spinning.
tweedamay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:13 PM   #44
Charski
Gadget Gal

tweedamay!

Old 11-01-2014, 02:42 PM   #45
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/157/145
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clues View Post
My tests are taking a lot longer than I expected. After years of reading about people testing a certain bread or pasta and reporting back, I thought it would be fairly straightforward. The first monitor I got seemed to be producing odd results (Truetest), so I got an additional monitor that uses a different test enzyme (Bayer). Right now, it doesn't seem like either one is producing a real number, but if I can get them to at least show consistent numbers for each monitor, I think I can use that to gauge a spike. Maybe.

I did try testing after eating some freshly cooked potatoes, and the number rose by about 10 for each monitor, however sometimes the number rises by 10 after a low carb lunch, so I'm not sure what that means. What do you all consider to be a "spiked" number?

One other thing I've found out while working through all this is that the FDA only mandates that these monitors be accurate within 20%. That's a pretty big range, and I can't believe people have to make insulin decisions based on that.

What numbers are your monitors showing? I test my cat and make insulin decisions on that so our peeps are pretty current on defective meters.

A spiked number would be over 140 and up. That is if your are starting at 100ish. Of course, two hours after eating is the standard, but Dr. Davis says to try 30 minutes to an hour after eating.

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:40 AM   #46
Clues
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Clues
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
What numbers are your monitors showing? I test my cat and make insulin decisions on that so our peeps are pretty current on defective meters.

A spiked number would be over 140 and up. That is if your are starting at 100ish. Of course, two hours after eating is the standard, but Dr. Davis says to try 30 minutes to an hour after eating.

Thanks, Carolyn. My numbers on 2 monitors go from around 90 something to around 115 something, but the odd thing is that it doesn't seem to correlate to what I eat. They are always high in the mornings (all morning...till lunch), and then lower in the afternoons. I got as far in my testing as eating some boiled new potatoes and if I'm remembering right, got only a small bounce from them..maybe going from 98 or so to 115 or so. I remember thinking how odd it was that it didn't even go past my normal morning high number. Sorry about being so fuzzy with the numbers, but we've had a 3 day power outage and a flooded basement, and now things are quite chaotic here. What I wouldn't give for a few nice peaceful days to work out my LC issues! :-)
Clues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:50 AM   #47
ladeeda
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladeeda
Stats: 265/199/175
WOE: Protein Power, modified
Start Date: April 2004
Spikes all depend upon what is normal for you. It is normal for me to rise 40 or more 2 hrs after a meal. More than that and I need to evaluate what I ate. Cooking, cooling and reheating spaghetti works for me...oh, yes...happy dance.
ladeeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:34 AM   #48
Deb34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Stats: 235.3/???/199
WOE: Fung Fasting/Carb Addicts Diet-original
Start Date: started again Apr 2017
I love leftover spaghetti! I've always liked the leftovers better than fresh so yay!

"Fasting: the Anti-Diet" - Jason Fung
Deb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 01:07 PM   #49
CarolynF

Okay ladies.

Dreamfields is boiled and in the fridge. Tonight I will get some water boiling and throw in the pasta and serve with sauce and meatballs. Let you know.

Will test the blood sugar.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:35 PM   #50
Charski
Gadget Gal

I did this last week - cooked up a bunch of Dreamfields spaghetti, drained, cooled, and stuck in the fridge. A couple nights later, mixed in some of Costco's excellent pesto and reheated it in the microwave. No issues.

We don't do an "official" test with a meter though. DH is pretty sensitive to excessive carbs and he didn't have any ill effects from it and is pretty dang excited about this!

Old 11-14-2014, 02:57 PM   #51
CarolynF

Maybe I will do what you did. Mix it up/cold pasta/cold sauce and microwave. Then add the hot meatballs.

I am sensitive to carbs and test myself from time to time. Along with my diabetic cat.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:35 PM   #52
tulipsandroses
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
This is interesting... A few years ago, I posted about green bananas and resistant starch in this thread.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...-low-carb.html

Interesting to see that 4 years later, there is more interest in the area of resistant starch.

Its a staple in Jamaican cooking. Yesterday I had 1 green banana with Mackerel cooked in coconut oil. I don't normally test my blood sugar but had a minor incident and ended up in the ER yesterday. I was feeling a bit light headed at the time so they tested my blood sugar. It was 84. This was at 3 pm. I had eaten the banana and also had boiled dumplings made with the Fantastic Flour mix and a bit of Sprouted Whole Wheat Flour at about noon.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:49 PM   #53
dawnyama
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Dr Oz even had resistant starch on his show a bit ago. He talked about the green banana as being a source of it. Tulip--you are just ahead of the curve. LOL.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:52 PM   #54
CarolynF

Okay. Blood sugar was 119 60 minutes and went up to 127 2 1/2 hours later. Not bad at all.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:57 AM   #55
sarahatl
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahatl
WOE: No Flour No Sugar
Start Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Okay. Blood sugar was 119 60 minutes and went up to 127 2 1/2 hours later. Not bad at all.
What was your original BS before you ate the pasta?
sarahatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 12:56 PM   #56
tweedamay
Junior LCF Member

I'm starting at 93. Just ate 1/2 cup of reheated penne pasta from 2 days ago. I'm checking sugars at 30, 60 and 120 minutes. I hope this works!
Old 11-15-2014, 02:11 PM   #57
tweedamay
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweedamay View Post
I'm starting at 93. Just ate 1/2 cup of reheated penne pasta from 2 days ago. I'm checking sugars at 30, 60 and 120 minutes. I hope this works!
30 mins = 97
60 mins = 96
Old 11-15-2014, 02:28 PM   #58
Charski
Gadget Gal

Looking good, tweedamay!

Old 11-15-2014, 02:54 PM   #59
tweedamay
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweedamay
Quote:
30 mins = 97
60 mins = 96
120 mins = 102
Old 11-15-2014, 03:09 PM   #60
Charski
Gadget Gal

Quote:
120 mins = 102
Excellent!!

Is this regular pasta, or Dreamfields, that you ate?