Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 10-19-2014, 04:15 AM   #61
Clues
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Clues
So my vitafiber finally arrived

and I think I'm going to try making caramel first, but then I really need to get a good cookie test going. I don't have a single LC cookie recipe that I like right now, because they all seem to turn out biscuity/crumbly. For those of you making better cookies with vitafiber, can you post what kind of flour you're using with it? I've got both the FF blend and KevinPA's flour mix, and can't decide which to try. I always though Kevin's mix dissolved more in the liquids and made a smoother batter than the nut flours, but now I'm reading all the WPI threads and worry that my mix is "off".

I'm just dying to make a chewy choc chip or molasses or gingerbread cookie!

(also, I see that the VF is produced in China. For some reason I thought it was made in Canada)
Clues is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2014, 05:36 AM   #62
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
My next experiment is going to be a cookie recipe. But I switched houses and am waiting for my Vitafiber order. I was thinking of adding 1/4 to 1/2 cup Vitafiber to an almond flour cookie recipe of Carolyn from All Day I Dream about Food, reducing the sweetener accordingly. The cookie was delicious, but neither chewy nor crunchy. If the Vitafiber works, I don't think it would matter which flour mixture you used.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:58 PM   #63
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bonbon41
WOE: Low carb cake plan!
Start Date: 2001
Clues - with the biscuity/crumbly ones, what flour are you using? Just the recipe's mix? I generally use the bulk of nut flour, then a small amount of coconut flour, oat fiber and, thanks to Soobee, some glucomanan. Since using this type of mix, I've not had probs with crumbly cookies. I uses this mix to great effect on Carolyn's coconut choc chips cookies, but they were on the crispier side. Some vitafiber might help with chewiness. I have had luck with a chewy gingersnap with vitafiber but subsequently lost the post it with the notes so I can't share. Well have fun experimenting - maybe do a side by side comparison between your two flour mixes and make only one cookie each. One thing I found about the ff mix is that it's very low fat and subsequently dry. Some good fat and the vitafiber should helps with chewiness.

Soobee - I'd love to know which almond cookie this is. I looked in her site but couldn't figure it out...also, you probably already know this but the vitafiber is about 50% as sweet as sugar. I thought it was sweeter but apparently not. Hope your VF comes soon! I still want to get some VF powder to try the microwave almond brittle recipe!

Happy baking
Bonbon41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:12 AM   #64
Clues
Junior LCF Member

Thanks, Soobee and Bonbon :-) I think I was getting the crumblier cookies with the fantastic flour mix. And by crumbly, I don't mean that they dissolved into crumbs as you bit into them, but that they were more like scone texture than anything else. I haven't been using any coconut flour with it, at least I don't think so. (Haven't had enough coffee to raid the cupboards and look yet) I think I'll try the experiments with some extra fat and the vitafibre, and possibly use Kevin's chocolate face cookies for the experiment. I liked the taste of those, and remember the texture of them pretty well. Have you used the powdered VF in your cookie tests or just the syrup?
Old 10-20-2014, 03:34 AM   #65
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Clues, I was using the syrup. This time I also ordered crystals, so I will have more options. Bonbon41, I made her Iced Lemon Sugar Cookies, but I made them as drop cookies. I doubled the lemon zest and the flavor was good. But I would like even more of a bite. Might experiment with ascorbic acid and/or citric acid. Also the glaze had tiny crystals in it from my powdered erythritol. So I will have to experiment with that. We used to buy a lemon cookie with a really sharp lemon taste. I haven't been down the cookie aisle in so long, I don't know if they still make them. But I would like to imitate the flavor. It's good to know the Vitafiber is 50% as sweet as sugar. It tastes sweeter to me, and makes everything I make taste better.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:26 AM   #66
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Clues, I use the syrup too.

Soobee, I've been looking for a lemon cookie . And I love my lemon tart too so thanks for the notes. I have used citric acid to good effect in tart lemon icing before but never in the batter - good idea! I just got some non gmo citric acid so I may give it a whirl. As for the vitafiber, that's what the website said, but my tastebuds thought it was sweeter too.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:28 PM   #67
Clues
Junior LCF Member

So I did a vitafiber experiment today. I made chocolate mayo pound cake and substituted 1TBL of vitafiber syrup for 1tbl of the sweetener. Will let you all know how that goes. But I also used the caramel syrup recipe from the tagatose thread, and did the same there..substituted 1tbl of vitafiber syrup for 1tbl tagatose. In half the cupcakes, I spooned a little of the caramel into the middle.

The rest of the caramel is not setting up like I'd hoped. It's caramel syrup, but I was hoping it would turn into a chewy caramel (visions of kraft caramels dancing in my head). So did I not use enough vitafiber? Have I not waited long enough? (It's been 3 hours in the fridge now).

Any help appreciated.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:43 PM   #68
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

In my last chewy caramel (used one T tagatose, mostly Swerve and some VF), I also used 1/4 tsp xanthan. It was so thick/solid after cooling that I have had to loosen it with a little boiling water before serving. For this one, I followed the caramel recipe from Carolyn's salted caramel brownie cupcakes. But the tagatose caramel is a very good recipe and should get you there. I wonder if you just warmed what you've got and then stirred in a little warmed VF to that, if it might help. Or rewarm and whisk in a little sprinkled xanthan.

Your cupcakes sound yummy...you are giving me caramel cravings! Let is know how it all goes. Happy baking
Old 10-22-2014, 06:28 AM   #69
Clues
Junior LCF Member

The cake turned out VERY well, even better than I'd hoped. I used this recipe - http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ound-cake.html

and made the following changes -

First, I made half a recipe and did cupcakes with it. I subbed DaVinci caramel syrup for the vanilla, and carbalose for the vital wheat gluten because I'd run out of that. On half the cupcakes I spooned a little of the tagatose caramel syrup into the middle of them. The result (for all of them) was a cake with the exact texture of a box mix. It was outstanding. The caramel disappeared into the cupcakes, giving them just a little better caramel flavor, but it didn't make a huge difference in them.

Here's an interesting thing - a few caramel drips on the cupcake pan did seem to turn into a sticky chewy caramel. So I'm thinking Bonbon's idea of recooking with a little more vitafiber might do the trick. I'll give that a shot today. Also, I'm not sure what gave this cake such a good texture, because I hadn't made it before. Was it the mayo, the vitafiber? I have a spice cake recipe that I think has really good flavor and really awful texture. Maybe I'll try that one next.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:26 PM   #70
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: OMAD
I just made excellent crisp cookies following a recipe on Pinterest by Macro Mitch (two ingredient cookies). Really just PP and Vitafiber and any other stuff you want to add (I added some Lily's chocolate chips. You mix 10 g pp and 15 g vitafiber per cookie and bake for about 6-8 minutes at 400 (I have a convection oven and they were a little overbrowned so I may drop the temp a bit). These cookies were just excellent! It has been a longggg time since I had a crisp lowcarb cookie, if ever! FYI the vitafiber board on pinterest is great!
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:21 PM   #71
Callieco
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Callieco
Start Date: 020110
Crisp cookies??? OK - I'm ready to order.

Ouizoid, do you use dry or liquid? Does it matter?
Callieco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:35 PM   #72
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I use liquid. OMG. I just made a second batch (tiny--4 little cookies --20 g PP and 35g VF --a couple of shakes of cinnamon--like a crispy chewy snickerdoodle!

I get my hands wet and roll them into balls and flatten on a cookie sheet with nonstick aluminium foil. back for 6-8 minutes at 375--sooo good!
Old 10-25-2014, 04:49 AM   #73
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the cookie report Ouizoid - so exciting... I can't wait to try! And I've now signed up for Pinterest - just for that vitafibre recipe board!
Old 10-25-2014, 07:17 AM   #74
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think you'll really like them Bonbon--watch the oven temp--vitafibre browns quickly and I think I need to drop down to 350F today and see how that goes--
Old 10-25-2014, 07:25 AM   #75
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ouizoid, also watch the time you bake them. I notice you get a big difference in results if you add or subtract a minute or 2 to the baking time. Having said that, I haven't made any that I haven't loved. Whether they come out chewy or crispy, I find them to be delicious.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:33 AM   #76
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

breakfast cookies this morning: Almond vanilla PP, vitafibre, a few dried cranberries snipped into quarters. just shy of 200 calories of proteiny deliciousness. If I could figure out how to use this stuff to make an oatmeal cookie, I would die of happiness!
Old 10-25-2014, 07:58 AM   #77
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

one other thing I want to mention: when you buy a quest bar, it has a kind of shiny exterior. My homemade bars never really looked like that--but I figured it out. After I mix the PP and VF, I put it in a plastic bag and knead it until it comes together. Then I get my hands wet and roll it between my palms until it is rope like--nice and shiny. If I am making a bar, I just fold it on itself. If I am making cookes, I slice my rope into rounds and with more wet palms, flatten each round on the cookie sheet. I find this really improves the "crust" after baking.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:53 AM   #78
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Most impressive investigative work Ouizoid! The product development division will be very pleased

I've held off making as I can't have dairy/whey but I've decided I'm going in with the sunflower seed protein powder. It's flavor is a bit meh so I'll have to add some extract of some sort I think...
Old 10-26-2014, 12:16 PM   #79
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

no fat, no sugar and absolutely delicious. The designer whey vanilla almond PP I use is so great for the cookie base--My husband just walked in on me eating cookies and asked for a bite, wondering aloud why I had baked delicious chocolate chip cookies when I don't eat carbs, lol. He couldn't believe that they were low fat low carb. Really the best lowcarb cookie ever, and so filling with a cup of tea!
Old 10-26-2014, 02:28 PM   #80
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Double chocolate orange cookie. Well I tried with the sunflower seed protein and added some cocoa powder, Lilly's chocolate chips and orange extract at 350 for 11 minutes. Result was a crisped exterior and soft, gooey interior. Perfect cookie consistency. Could have used a little more sweetness, probably because the protein powder is unsweetened. Really amazing though. My DH and I were just discussing what food classification these should actually fall under. Despite being great cookies, they have none of the ingredients of cookies!

Soobee you've been making these cookies and biscotti for some time, and I'd love to try biscotti next. If you have any tips, please let me know

PS: Somehow I managed to glue my hair to my sweatshirt with the vitafiber in the process!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (51.0 KB, 79 views)
Old 10-26-2014, 02:44 PM   #81
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

those are gorgeous! much thicker than the ones I've been making--I flatten mine pretty thoroughly--so more chewy thruout--

LOL about the hair!
Old 10-26-2014, 03:59 PM   #82
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bonbon41, I make mine in the toaster oven. As soon as they are solid throughout, they are biscotti. It only takes a couple of minutes more than regular cookies. I make the big ones like you do.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:52 PM   #83
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Soobee!

I love that the whole endeavour was wrapped up in the kitchen in under 15 minutes. And my DH, who was my kitchen assistant today REALLY appreciated this. My second batch of chocolate hazelnut praline cookies were really good and no body parts were glued together in the process. Delicious, healthy speed baking. Doesn't get much better

Ps: the way I've been making these chocolate cookies thick but crisped outside and gooey inside makes me think VF will really make a killer brownie... I've tried using smaller amounts of VF in brownies before but I had too many other ingredients that required longer baking than the liquid VF could handle. Maybe with just protein powder, VF, cocoa powder, sweetener, melted chocolate, maybe some coconut oil or butter and any add-ons like a sprinkle if nuts would do the trick.

Last edited by Bonbon41; 10-26-2014 at 05:58 PM..
Old 10-27-2014, 03:42 AM   #84
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Someone on nthis forum tried Vitafiber instead of polydextrose. So perhaps Scott123's famous brownie recipe would work with that substitution. We used to make killer chewy brownies and blondies using polydextrose. DH and I merely became fragrant, but polydextrose seems to be really hard for others to tolerate. It's no fun if you can't share your best recipes.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:51 AM   #85
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Brownies with vitafiber powder

Well I gave it a go - results were ok. So I used the LCF famous polyD brownie recipe. Followed it pretty closely, subbing the polyD for VF powder. I also had to sub the eggs/dairy out because I can't have them and subbed the carbquick for almond flour.

Great to learn that the powder did not have the early browning issues of the syrup. Baked for 35 minutes at 325 and no signs of premature burning. However, once the dry and wet were incorporated, it took on the qualities of working with the VF syrup and became stiff with too much mixing. I needed to work faster. Also, as I found with the syrup, VF isn't easy to incorporate with too much oil/fat (the recipe had a lot of butter). I used butter flavor org palm shortening but I believe the effect would have been similar with butter as I've had this before working with VF. Also, the nut flour didn't really bake into the product and disappear as it should. The fat and flour just didn't bake into the VF very well. That said, the batter looked good at one point but started to separate a bit and I wonder if less mixing would have helped. Final product was still yummy and a decent texture but not a perfect brownie. Actually, I've gotten better brownie-like texture with just VF and protein powder.

Well I thought I'd share my results. Hope everyone is having a great weekend
Old 11-06-2014, 08:32 PM   #86
judytab
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonbon41 View Post
VitaFiber Almond Brittle Rossella Body Building Pantry

70 g Vitafiber powder
45 g Vitafiber syrup
Your favorite sweetener, to taste
90 g almonds
1 pinch salt (optional)
1 Tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda
In a glass bowl, combine almonds, Vitafiber powder and syrup, salt. Cook in microwave for 4 to 5 minutes on High: mixture should be bubbly. Stir in butter and vanilla; cook 1 to 2 minutes longer. Quickly stir in baking soda and your favorite sweetener just until mixture is foamy. Pour immediately onto greased baking sheet. Let cool 15 minutes, or until set. Break into pieces.
I just received my vitafiber liquid and powder and am interested in this brittle recipe. Can anyone tell me what the conversion of the amts of the vitafibers would be in this recipe? I have looked online and still cannot figure it out. The best that I can guess is about 6 Tbs of powder and 3 Tbs of liquid but have no idea if this is close! I'm also having trouble in some recipes in figuring out if the poster is using the syrup or powder if it's not specified - except, of course, in the pecan pie ;-) Any help will be appreciated.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:55 PM   #87
judytab
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonbon41 View Post
Well I gave it a go - results were ok. So I used the LCF famous polyD brownie recipe. Followed it pretty closely, subbing the polyD for VF powder. I also had to sub the eggs/dairy out because I can't have them and subbed the carbquick for almond flour.

Great to learn that the powder did not have the early browning issues of the syrup. Baked for 35 minutes at 325 and no signs of premature burning. However, once the dry and wet were incorporated, it took on the qualities of working with the VF syrup and became stiff with too much mixing. I needed to work faster. Also, as I found with the syrup, VF isn't easy to incorporate with too much oil/fat (the recipe had a lot of butter). I used butter flavor org palm shortening but I believe the effect would have been similar with butter as I've had this before working with VF. Also, the nut flour didn't really bake into the product and disappear as it should. The fat and flour just didn't bake into the VF very well. That said, the batter looked good at one point but started to separate a bit and I wonder if less mixing would have helped. Final product was still yummy and a decent texture but not a perfect brownie. Actually, I've gotten better brownie-like texture with just VF and protein powder.

Well I thought I'd share my results. Hope everyone is having a great weekend
Do you think this would have worked out better if you had used the Carbquik (or Carbalose) instead of almond flour? Do you remember how much vitafiber powder vs almond flour you used? I'm always afraid of using too much polyD because of stomach issues so was hoping to sub vitafiber powder for it successfully in brownies.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:08 AM   #88
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I measured the Vitafiber power on my weighing scale and 70g is 1/2 cup.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:20 AM   #89
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by judytab View Post
I just received my vitafiber liquid and powder and am interested in this brittle recipe. Can anyone tell me what the conversion of the amts of the vitafibers would be in this recipe? I have looked online and still cannot figure it out. The best that I can guess is about 6 Tbs of powder and 3 Tbs of liquid but have no idea if this is close! I'm also having trouble in some recipes in figuring out if the poster is using the syrup or powder if it's not specified - except, of course, in the pecan pie ;-) Any help will be appreciated.
Judy, 2 Tbsp VF liquid = 30 grams so it looks like your guesstimate for the liquid is spot-on.

I believe most of the recipes above are using the liquid as we've only just started ordering and experimenting with the powder around here. If you want to be sure, just ask and I'm sure you'll get an answer.

Good luck with the brittle!

Last edited by Bonbon41; 11-07-2014 at 07:22 AM..
Old 11-07-2014, 07:30 AM   #90
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by judytab View Post
Do you think this would have worked out better if you had used the Carbquik (or Carbalose) instead of almond flour? Do you remember how much vitafiber powder vs almond flour you used? I'm always afraid of using too much polyD because of stomach issues so was hoping to sub vitafiber powder for it successfully in brownies.
I followed the same ratio for nut flour and VF powder as the carbquick/polyD from the polyD brownie recipe from this site. Maybe it would have worked with carbquick - I don't use it so I can't really give an opinion on that. Will be interested to hear yours turn out, hopefully better than mine