Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 12-16-2016, 06:57 AM   #451
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
It's ridiculous that it is so difficult to get to the US site. I spoke with a rep about it over FB messenger last night, because it was very hard to make sure that the site was legit.

If you go to the VF facebook page, scroll down, and you'll see it on the right hand side of the page.
EnglishLit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2016, 06:59 AM   #452
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT + Fast Five
Start Date: June 2012
Thanks so much!
Old 12-16-2016, 07:00 AM   #453
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ'sMom View Post
Thks for the heads up EnglishLit, can't pass up on that great offer. Now I need to get to using some of the VF and FiberYum that I have. Just not baking a lot these days.
I thought I would be baking like crazy during the holidays, but I baked a dozen cupcakes right after Thanksgiving and nothing since. Maybe that's a good thing I don't know!
Old 12-16-2016, 08:29 AM   #454
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

I don't know if I could have found that without all your help.
I'm giddy with that price, though - thank you all again!
Old 12-16-2016, 09:06 AM   #455
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I know how you feel about the price. I bought another dozen bottles even though I am swimming in the stuff. I will use every last drop.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:19 AM   #456
grneyedldy
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: grneyedldy
Stats: 180/134/120
WOE: NK
Start Date: 9/2/2013
I bought 5 bottles and some powdered. I still have some from the first bottle I bought. I just couldn't pass up that price. I have no idea what I will make. I'll have to reread the long vita fiber thread.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:19 AM   #457
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

I felt like I had some symptoms of hoarding when I bought all of those bottles.

My daughter said, "Mom, you're going to use ALL of that!"

Sadly she's probably right. The pecan pie alone ....
Old 12-16-2016, 12:04 PM   #458
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

I am sorry if I'm not searching properly, but I cannot find Soobee's peanut brittle recipe.
My neighbor has given us some "native" to our state peanuts and I'd love to try a peanut brittle.

Soobee or anybody if you have it, would you mind posting it again?
Old 12-16-2016, 12:05 PM   #459
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishLit View Post
I felt like I had some symptoms of hoarding when I bought all of those bottles.

My daughter said, "Mom, you're going to use ALL of that!"

Sadly she's probably right. The pecan pie alone ....
Yes indeed.
The pecan pie alone....
Old 12-17-2016, 10:10 AM   #460
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
I posted the recipe earlier in this thread, I think, but I had to make changes to make it work. Here is the original with my changes.
VitaFiber Microwave Almond Brittle Rossella Body Building Pantry
70 g Vitafiber powder (about 2 1/2 oz)
45 g Vitafiber syrup(about 2 oz)
Your favorite sweetener, to taste (I used 8 drops liquid sucralose, about 1/3 cup sweetener)
90 g almonds (about 3 oz)
1 pinch salt (optional)
1 Tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda
In a glass bowl, combine almonds, Vitafiber powder and syrup, salt. Cook in microwave for 2-3 minutes on High: mixture should be bubbly. Stir in butter and vanilla; cook 1 minutes longer. Quickly stir in baking soda and your favorite sweetener just until mixture is foamy. Pour immediately onto greased baking sheet. Let cool 15 minutes or until set. Break into pieces.

The original recipe said to cook the mixture on high for 4-5 minutes, then stir, and then add in other ingredients. Mine came out black and unsalvageable. So I changed the initial time to 2-3 minutes. It should be bubbling, just like when you make Protein bars. I tried to do it on the stovetop. It formed one big blob, impenetrable inside and highly uncooperative. So I think you have to do it on the microwave. Just don't overcook it. But the toffee was delicious. DH marveled that we could make such a recipe after all these years.
Is this the brittle recipe?
Old 12-17-2016, 10:33 AM   #461
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
That's the one I still use. It's great on its own and also great crushed and put into ice cream. I'll have to try it with peanuts.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:59 AM   #462
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

So appreciate this!
Old 12-17-2016, 11:55 AM   #463
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

That's the one I use. I tried it with xylitol as the sweetener and it was okay, but when I used erythritol it had the best texture and indistinguishable from brittle made with regular sugar and corn syrup.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:00 PM   #464
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Are the amounts given by weight, or by volume?
Old 04-16-2017, 05:25 AM   #465
Angeloco
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Angeloco
Stats: 135/126/120
WOE: LC
Start Date: September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Esther, I would order the liquid. I use it in ice cream, cookies, pies and protein bars. I have had the best luck with it. Here is a tweaked recipe from Vangela. It is our new favorite cookie. We can't believe the great texture of the cookie. DH keeps saying, "It's just like a real cookie." You'll notice that it doesn't have eggs, so if you change the flour, it should work for you too.

Almond Chocolate Cookies Vangela Soobee
1¼ cups almond flour
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp. baking soda
¼ cup coconut oil
1/4 cup Vitafiber liquid
½ T vanilla
1/8 tsp sucralose liquid (1/2 cup worth of sweetener)
1/3 cup chocolate chips
1/3 cup sliced almonds
Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Mix almond flour, baking powder and baking soda together. In another bowl, combine oil, agave and vanilla together. Add dry mix to wet mix. Fold in sliced almonds and chocolate chips. Place 1 heaping tablespoon of dough onto baking sheets. Flatten. Bake for 7-8 minutes until golden. Cool in pan.
This is the most delicious cookie recipe. Tastes like the real deal. I usually make with 1/4 cup chopped pecans and 1/4 cup Lily's chocolate chips. I have also added 1/8 cup of unsweetened coconut. Last night I used butter flavored coconut oil. Made it even better.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:49 PM   #466
Allybear
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Allybear
Has anyone tried to make gummy bears (or any gummy type candy)? I've seen sugar-free candy that uses IMO, and it's created an expensive little habit for myself. I've attempted it but had trouble with the texture. It comes out like a firm jello, where I want something on the firm and chewy side. Once I get the texture down, I'm dying to experiment!! Specifically trying to create a low carb red wine gummy.

Has anyone given this a shot?? Or does anyone wanna take on this experiment with me??

So far I've tried boiling gelatin, swerve, vitafiber and prosecco together, then pouring it into moulds. Not quite right.
Allybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:57 AM   #467
Dottie
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: ADF mostly Paleo
Ally you could try adding a little glucomannan, too, since that can easily have the "rubber band" texture.
The best I've made use 1 packet s/f gelatin (flavored), 1T unflavored gelatin, and just 1/4 cup boiling water, pour into molds and let set.
They're pretty chewy!

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

Be sure to visit Netrition on Facebook for the latest products and deals!
https://www.facebook.com/Netritioncom-210889832433/

**Every day is up to you. You can choose for it to be a good day or a bad day.**
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:52 AM   #468
Allybear
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Allybear
Maybe I'll try the glucomannan! I've tried the recipe you mentioned, but that's the firm jello texture I'm trying to get away from.
Allybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:32 PM   #469
GigiLuna
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GigiLuna
Hi Allybear - did you try the glucommannan in the gummy bear recipe? Like you I want a soft but firm & chewy texture, like store bough gummy bears....and all I can seem to come up with are bears with a bouncy, rubbery texture.
GigiLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:06 PM   #470
cheri
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
Bump

I used to live to eat... now I eat to live!
Don't be a victim of Dieters remorse.. Don't cheat.. stay on plan!

Be sure to visit Netrition on Facebook for the latest products and deals!
https://www.facebook.com/Netritioncom-210889832433/
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:37 PM   #471
Ann1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ann1
dldickins, I'm a bit confused about all the sugars in this recipe. I am not clear on which ones I am to use. Please advise.
Ann1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:09 PM   #472
dldickins
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dldickins
Stats: 309/277/125
WOE: HFLC, NK July 2014
Start Date: May 28, 2011. Restarted Jan 27, 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann1 View Post
dldickins, I'm a bit confused about all the sugars in this recipe. I am not clear on which ones I am to use. Please advise.
Just use whatever artificial sweeteners (AS) to equal the equivalent of 1 cup of sugar. The AS I listed is just the combination I used. I try to use a minimum of 3 AS in a recipes for the synergistic effect. Just try to use an AS that has some bulk like Erythritol or Just Like Sugar. If you use a liquid AS only, I think the brownies' texture will be different. Whatever AS you use, you still need to add the Sukrin Gold syrup or Vitafiber syrup.

Baricat has made this brownie recipe and I believe she only uses powdered erythritol and stevia extract but didn't tell me the measurements. She also adds 1 1/2 tablespoons Monin SF vanilla syrup. Baricat said that the brownies needed an extra 5 minutes of bake time due to the extra liquid.

I hope this was helpful. If not, let me know what AS you have and I can make some suggestions.

Deb

Last edited by dldickins; 08-16-2017 at 04:11 PM..
dldickins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 06:53 PM   #473
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/118/135 Start:size 22, now:size 2.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 10 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dldickins View Post
Just use whatever artificial sweeteners (AS) to equal the equivalent of 1 cup of sugar. The AS I listed is just the combination I used. I try to use a minimum of 3 AS in a recipes for the synergistic effect. Just try to use an AS that has some bulk like Erythritol or Just Like Sugar. If you use a liquid AS only, I think the brownies' texture will be different. Whatever AS you use, you still need to add the Sukrin Gold syrup or Vitafiber syrup.

Baricat has made this brownie recipe and I believe she only uses powdered erythritol and stevia extract but didn't tell me the measurements. She also adds 1 1/2 tablespoons Monin SF vanilla syrup. Baricat said that the brownies needed an extra 5 minutes of bake time due to the extra liquid.

I hope this was helpful. If not, let me know what AS you have and I can make some suggestions.
Deb
Hi, Deb!!

I make my own baking sweetener, using mainly Just Like Sugar, erythritol and stevia. Generally, I use 5 parts erythritol, 1 part stevia, 2 parts JLS. I powder until very fine, usually about 2 minutes total. I always keep a canister of it at the ready. When I want to bake, I don't want to have to go through the hassle and mess of grinding, along with all the measuring, mise-en-place, and mixing.

You were exactly right. I have evolved to using the Monin SF vanilla syrup and tacking on the 5 minutes extra, just as you said. Love the texture! Also, have used DaVinci Peppermint Paddy syrup in place of the vanilla, which made fudgy mint brownies. Using raspberry syrup creates yet another sophisticated, nuanced flavor variation.

I need to underscore, however, how phenomenal this recipe is just as written. Definitely the best brownie recipe I've found. Even non-LC'ers love these!
Old 08-17-2017, 12:28 PM   #474
Angeloco
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Angeloco
Stats: 135/126/120
WOE: LC
Start Date: September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allybear View Post
Has anyone tried to make gummy bears (or any gummy type candy)? I've seen sugar-free candy that uses IMO, and it's created an expensive little habit for myself. I've attempted it but had trouble with the texture. It comes out like a firm jello, where I want something on the firm and chewy side. Once I get the texture down, I'm dying to experiment!! Specifically trying to create a low carb red wine gummy.

Has anyone given this a shot?? Or does anyone wanna take on this experiment with me??

So far I've tried boiling gelatin, swerve, vitafiber and prosecco together, then pouring it into moulds. Not quite right.

Cooking keto with kristie made a utube video with her recipe for low carb gummies. I haven't made it but it looks easy and good.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:56 PM   #475
judytab
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baricat View Post
Hi, Deb!!

I make my own baking sweetener, using mainly Just Like Sugar, erythritol and stevia. Generally, I use 5 parts erythritol, 1 part stevia, 2 parts JLS.
Cat, exactly what kind of stevia do you use in your mixture and which JLS do you use?
Old 08-18-2017, 10:59 AM   #476
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Judy, I use SweetLeaf stevia (powder) which is mainly pure stevia, coupled with inulin. This one has, to my palate, at least, virtually eliminated any bitter aftertaste if coupled in a small ratio with erythritol. The JLS stands Just Like Sugar, which is a brand name for a chicory root based sweetener. Those three, along for the Sukrin Gold syrup or Vitafiber called for in the recipe, end up as a truly authentic simulation of sugar.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:16 PM   #477
dldickins
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by judytab View Post
Cat, which JLS do you use?
Judy,

I think Cat misunderstood your question. Cat, please jump in if I'm wrong. I think Cat probably uses the Green (granulated) bag of JLS and not the Blue (powdered) bag since she grinds her mixture.

Deb
Old 08-19-2017, 09:26 PM   #478
dldickins
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baricat View Post
Hi, Deb!!

I make my own baking sweetener, using mainly Just Like Sugar, erythritol and stevia. Generally, I use 5 parts erythritol, 1 part stevia, 2 parts JLS. I powder until very fine, usually about 2 minutes total. I always keep a canister of it at the ready. When I want to bake, I don't want to have to go through the hassle and mess of grinding, along with all the measuring, mise-en-place, and mixing.

You were exactly right. I have evolved to using the Monin SF vanilla syrup and tacking on the 5 minutes extra, just as you said. Love the texture! Also, have used DaVinci Peppermint Paddy syrup in place of the vanilla, which made fudgy mint brownies. Using raspberry syrup creates yet another sophisticated, nuanced flavor variation.

I need to underscore, however, how phenomenal this recipe is just as written. Definitely the best brownie recipe I've found. Even non-LC'ers love these!
Hi Cat,

Thanks so much for posting your AS blend ingredients and measurements. The next time I make these brownies I'm going to use this blend and the mint syrup!

Deb
Old 08-20-2017, 12:28 AM   #479
judytab
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dldickins View Post
Judy,

I think Cat misunderstood your question. Cat, please jump in if I'm wrong. I think Cat probably uses the Green (granulated) bag of JLS and not the Blue (powdered) bag since she grinds her mixture.

Deb
Thanks Deb, and you're right - I have both JLS: baking and table sweetener so I was wondering which she used. And Cat, I want to thank you also for posting your sweetener mixture. I might get the stevia you use, but I don't like to use too much erythritol in any mixture because of the cooling. I always limit it and Swerve to no more that ¼ cup at a time for most things, so I may have to play with the ratios.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:46 AM   #480
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Oops, Deb! I absolutely did misunderstand the question - sorry, Judy! I have both JLS's, and again, you're right about the green one. But you don't have to have it in order to make this recipe. The blue one will work just fine. I hope you like the mint. The hubs calls them my "Girl Scout Thin Mint brownies!"

Judy, once you add in the JLS and the stevia, it tends to short-circuit the cooling effect, or at least in my experience. No one has ever noticed it in anything I've made with my proprietary mix, so generally speaking, it should be all right. By the way, I use the organic SweetLeaf in the canister with the bright green top. I think they make a couple of different ones, but the organic is a winner.

I just made the brownies last night, because my husband is going up to CT where he is working, and sidled up, looked imploringly into my eyes, and said, "Do you think you could make me a batch of those brownies to take up north??" When they were cooled, I asked him if he wanted one, and he said, "No way! I want to take all of those with me. How about some ice cream, instead?" (I currently have vanilla, chocolate, cherry, peach, strawberry, lemon, black raspberry and blueberry in the freezer. My new ice cream maker has been working overtime this summer making every flavor of LC ice cream I could dream up!)

And speaking of that, there is NOTHING in the world better than one of these brownies, slightly warm, with a scoop of LC vanilla ice cream melting on top...

These are the fudgiest, gooiest, mostest-of-the-most brownies ever! I enjoyed licking off the stuff that clung to the knife. Made my whole day. Beaucoup yummy. Seriously.

Last edited by Baricat; 08-20-2017 at 08:49 AM..
Baricat is offline   Reply With Quote