Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 09-19-2017, 07:12 PM   #1
Gabby1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gabby1
Stats: 220/194/170 5'8" 51yo
WOE: Gentle Low Carb
Start Date: 6/22/2012, 3/30/2015, 9/17/2016, 8/20/2017
Allulose? What do we think?

I just got some products in my KetoKrate made w this- anyone have experience w this? And what happened to Quest Keto? I know they were using Allulose and now the whole QuestKeto shop is closed. I feel like I am missing something.

Gabby
Gabby1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2017, 04:57 AM   #2
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
It has an excellent reputation. It's supposed to taste just like sugar and not raise glucose or insulin at all. In fact, I just saw some results of experiments (can't remember the source), where allulose lowered glucose and insulin more than having nothing at all. Maria Emmerich has just endorsed it. The only problem seems to be that it is expensive. I will be the first one on their doorstep when the prices come down.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:23 AM   #3
RexsreineSC
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RexsreineSC
WOE: LC, lower fat, higher protein
Start Date: off and on for ten years
Anyone know where this can be purchased? I checked Netrition first and didn't find it.
Online amazon does, but, yes, it is quite expensive. Would like to do a price comparison before buying.

Thanks!
Ginny in SC
RexsreineSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:49 AM   #4
Gabby1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gabby1
Stats: 220/194/170 5'8" 51yo
WOE: Gentle Low Carb
Start Date: 6/22/2012, 3/30/2015, 9/17/2016, 8/20/2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
It has an excellent reputation. It's supposed to taste just like sugar and not raise glucose or insulin at all. In fact, I just saw some results of experiments (can't remember the source), where allulose lowered glucose and insulin more than having nothing at all. Maria Emmerich has just endorsed it. The only problem seems to be that it is expensive. I will be the first one on their doorstep when the prices come down.
Interesting! I am going to look on Maria's site and get more info.

I really liked the cookie sweetened w allulose from the KNOW company in this month's KetoKrate. Very filling. More of a meal replacement kind of product IMO. I looked on the KNOW website and see the company has a ton of other products (waffles! crackers!). I'm going to order a few other products and see how it goes.

FYI- after eating a very large cookie sweetened w allulose yesterday early evening, I have had no GI distress as of this morning.

Gabby
Gabby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:30 AM   #5
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/157/145
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Also, the new Quest Protein bars are made with it..They are excellent..I should have tested my blood sugar after I eat a bar, but I need to be home to do that..

Good to know.

CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:33 AM   #6
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
I don't like it. I bought a multipack of it with the regular granulated allulose, allulose honey, maple syrup, etc and it gave me terrible gastric pain for days. The fact that the discomfort lasted so long for me made me not even want to continue to experiment with the product or slowly incorporate it into my diet. I was DONE after that. lol

Since I still have a few bottles left I might go back and use it in very small amounts, but since discovering Bochasweet, I really don't see the point.
EnglishLit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:41 PM   #7
JimM
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JimM
Stats: 273/202/195
WOE: low carb (<60/day)
Start Date: 1/2014
I bought granulated Allulose (aka rare sugar) from Amazon and tried it in several baking recipes and a teriyaki sauce. Cookies that were normally crisp when made with sugar turned out soft. Cakes browned nicely but the sweetness difference is noticeable unless another sweetener is added.

I didn't suffer any GI problems but my wife had a definite bad reaction to the teriyaki sauce. Given the price of Allulose and the varying effects in the lower intestine, it's not something I'd buy again.
JimM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:51 PM   #8
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
Just love the review of products generated here, keep it up guys. Hate that some of you have to waste money on things but it really isn't a waste when you can give us an honest review, thks.
JJJ'sMom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 04:51 AM   #9
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have been searching for a sweetener to make buttercrunch. Allulose failed as a buttercrunch sweetener. But my failure turned out to be a firm chewy caramel with great flavor. And it stretches when you pull it apart. It is so good that I stopped my buttercrunch endeavors to focus on stuffing my face with caramel, I have been eating caramel for days now, and bonus- losing weight. If anyone is interested in the recipe, I will post it. By the way, I have had no digestive issues, but I am not particularly sensitive.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:31 AM   #10
replay
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: replay
WOE: Keto/LCHF/IF/insulin resistance reversal
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexsreineSC View Post
Anyone know where this can be purchased? I checked Netrition first and didn't find it.
Checking today, Netrition now sells Allulose by Sensato
Old 12-31-2017, 05:52 PM   #11
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
Quote:
Originally Posted by replay View Post
Checking today, Netrition now sells Allulose by Sensato
Wow!

I had a terrible experience with Allulose, but all sweeteners aren't created equal, and maybe I'll have a better experience with Sensato allulose. I was able to tolerate Sensato Tagatose better than NuNaturals so it's certainly possible.
EnglishLit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:17 AM   #12
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT + Fast Five
Start Date: June 2012
Soobee, I would love your caramel recipe.
I bought 3 lbs. of Allulose from Walmart online. Thrilled to know netrition now carries it.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:59 AM   #13
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Caramel Soobee
1 cup allulose
1 stick butter
1-2 Tbs Vitafiber liquid
Pinch of salt
2 Cups of pecans and walnuts, can be chopped or left as halves
Optional: 6 drops sucralose (1/4 cup worth of sweetener)
1 tsp vanilla
Heat the nuts for 1½ minutes in the microwave. Put first 4 ingredients in a 12 inch skillet over medium high heat. Stir once in a while. Once the butter has melted and starts bubbling up, start stirring constantly. Put in a candy thermometer, and scoop the bubbling liquid over the bulb. Cook to 290 degrees, approximately 3-4 minutes. Pull off the heat. Stir in the nuts. Add in optional vanilla and extra sweetener and stir. Pour onto a silicone or parchment lined cookie sheet, spreading the nuts out evenly. As it cools, it will turn into caramel.
Notes: When you first make it, it looks way too liquidy to work. But it gets structural integrity as it cools. Allulose is 70% as sweet as sugar. I like my candies to taste as if they came from a candy store. You might be satisfied with just the allulose and leave out the extra sweetener. The amount and type of nuts is totally up to you. I was trying to stretch out my allulose. A more typical amount would be 1/2 cup of nuts. I have tried it with and without vanilla. I like it both ways equally, so now I just skip the vanilla. Allulose is known to give stomach issues. In fact I read that Quest Nutrition Bars manufacturers got permission to use it as long as they promised not to use too much. So start out slow. Admittedly, this is hard to do, because the candies are so delicious. This really tastes like honest to goodness high class caramel.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:06 AM   #14
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm so looking forward to trying this.
I agree with you, if I'm making candy, I want it to taste as sweet as candy, so I'll also add sucralose, too.

As I mentioned, I've got a 3 lb. container of allulose and have used it in conjunction with several other sweeteners with no issues. But we'll TRY to take it easy with this recipe just in case.
Thank you so much!

Last edited by JMCM1; 01-08-2018 at 06:08 AM..
JMCM1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:15 AM   #15
replay
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: replay
WOE: Keto/LCHF/IF/insulin resistance reversal
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Also, the new Quest Protein bars are made with it..They are excellent..I should have tested my blood sugar after I eat a bar, but I need to be home to do that..
I agree, the Quest Nutrition Hero Protein Bar are good. I even bought a box for my non low carb Mom because I figured they were tasty enough for her to think they were good as an alternative to desserts and she gave them a thumbs up.

They did not seem to have an impact on my blood sugar, which is good, but I tested after having them as dessert after a meal.

My problem is that they are too good and I want to eat more than one! I find them to be quite sweet tasting, more so that the other Quest bars.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:33 PM   #16
ChelePA
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ChelePA
I also love those Quest Bars. My favorite so far.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:14 AM   #17
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bonbon41
WOE: Low carb cake plan!
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Caramel Soobee
1 cup allulose
1 stick butter
1-2 Tbs Vitafiber liquid
Pinch of salt
2 Cups of pecans and walnuts, can be chopped or left as halves
Optional: 6 drops sucralose (1/4 cup worth of sweetener)
1 tsp vanilla
Heat the nuts for 1½ minutes in the microwave. Put first 4 ingredients in a 12 inch skillet over medium high heat. Stir once in a while. Once the butter has melted and starts bubbling up, start stirring constantly. Put in a candy thermometer, and scoop the bubbling liquid over the bulb. Cook to 290 degrees, approximately 3-4 minutes. Pull off the heat. Stir in the nuts. Add in optional vanilla and extra sweetener and stir. Pour onto a silicone or parchment lined cookie sheet, spreading the nuts out evenly. As it cools, it will turn into caramel.
Notes: When you first make it, it looks way too liquidy to work. But it gets structural integrity as it cools. Allulose is 70% as sweet as sugar. I like my candies to taste as if they came from a candy store. You might be satisfied with just the allulose and leave out the extra sweetener. The amount and type of nuts is totally up to you. I was trying to stretch out my allulose. A more typical amount would be 1/2 cup of nuts. I have tried it with and without vanilla. I like it both ways equally, so now I just skip the vanilla. Allulose is known to give stomach issues. In fact I read that Quest Nutrition Bars manufacturers got permission to use it as long as they promised not to use too much. So start out slow. Admittedly, this is hard to do, because the candies are so delicious. This really tastes like honest to goodness high class caramel.
Soobee you have done it again! This is a must try - it’s so insanely good...just like regular caramel. Wonderful instructions too! Off to chomp away...Thank you Soobee
Bonbon41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:16 PM   #18
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
Not sure where my brain is at these days, as I had totally forgotten about seeing this info on allulose before.
JJJ'sMom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:21 AM   #19
Enflame13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Enflame13
Allulose is so far my favourite sweetener. I tend to mix it with erythritol/stevia/monkfruit because it is pricy (though cheaper than Bocha Sweet), and I find the combos end up tasting and working more like real sugar, reducing aftertastes etc. I haven't had any gastric issues with any sweetener I've tried, so clearly I'm not sensitive and so my experience in that area wouldn't help anyone that has GI problems with many sweeteners.

I've been focused on LC ice cream thus far; it's my fave sweet and I couldn't live without good ice cream! But I do love caramel, so will try Soobee's recipe soon! Allulose (and Bocha Sweet too) are particularly good in ice cream because they keep it from getting rock hard, as it will if you use just an erythritol-based sweetener.

I'm in Canada, and for now my choice of where to buy Allulose is limited to US suppliers that will ship to Canada for a reasonable rate. The best I've found so far is Chocolate Alchemy, which sells 2lb bags of Allulose for $16.99US. No idea what shipping is within the US, but to Canada was expectedly high, but better the more I ordered at one time. I think it was better than anywhere else I had found. If anyone finds a better option for Canucks, let me know!

~Paige
Enflame13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:20 PM   #20
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm so sad LCF is shutting down. I've learned so much from so many.
Thanks to all of you who have experimented and shared your wonderful results.