Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 11-09-2017, 05:20 PM   #151
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/116/135 Start:size 22, now size 0.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 10 years.
Half BS

I made this fudge sauce today using only half BS and half my proprietary mix (erythritol, stevia, and Just like Sugar) and the results were pretty much equivalent to when I used all BS. I could not tell I hadn't used 100% BS.

So far, every one of my 50/50 experiments have been like this, delivering the superior sweetening of BS, with the ability to stretch or extend your BS X 2. Not that the proprietary sweetener is super cheap, of course, but it's a lot less pricey than BS. So your BS can go twice as far, without sacrificing any of the superior, natural sweetening. I'm immensely encouraged by each of the four different items I've tried, but be sure to check it out it for yourself to see if you agree.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2017, 09:25 AM   #152
niccofive
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: niccofive
Stats: lost 65 lbs. / in maintenance
WOE: Low Carb my way, for maintenance
Start Date: Oct 2014
I want to say a big thank you to everyone on this thread for all the experimentation and information you have shared. I am just hearing about BochaSweet (I love kabocha squash!) and it sounds like a real winner.

I have not gotten the hang of LC sweeteners or LC flours yet; I find it so overwhelming. I read threads like the long ones of KevinPa but they go through so many changes as new things come out that I become hopelessly confused and give up.

Still, I like following along and learning and I might just get brave enough to try Bochasweet!

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." Winston Churchill
niccofive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 06:01 PM   #153
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Leeann, I did the exact same thing when I found this forum about 8 months ago. I stayed up late almost every night just reading and reading. Only read for the first month.

I can relate to Kevin's threads! Same here, so very confusing. Was so excited about the bread, I didn't read far enough, and made his first bread recipe. Not exactly a resounding success. Finally got it all sorted out, though. You'll get there, too.

So much information, so little time.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:34 AM   #154
niccofive
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: niccofive
Stats: lost 65 lbs. / in maintenance
WOE: Low Carb my way, for maintenance
Start Date: Oct 2014
Cat, You've got that right!

I will likely get to it eventually. I have, for the most part, found that many subs don't "do it for me" but I also know that now that I'm three years in, I need to find workable subs to keep me strong.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." Winston Churchill
niccofive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:44 AM   #155
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Leeann, I'm certain you will be really happy with your BochaSweet purchase when you choose to make it. Just be sure to remember that it needs to be used in something that will be baked/cooked, boiled at some point in the recipe (like a pudding or sauce) or combined with an acid (vinegar, lemon or lime juice) ingredient in the recipe. If the recipe doesn't include either measure, then powdering it finely in a coffee mill will be necessary in order to avoid grittiness in your finished product.

With its prohibitive price tag, it's worthwhile to explore other sweeteners. Before BochaSweet, I had been unable to find any one single sweetener that cut it for me. No matter which one I tried, the taste just wasn't right, or I experienced spectacular gastric cataclysms.

Out of necessity, I experimented with several blends, finally settling on a mix of erythritol, stevia, and Just Like Sugar (chicory root) which I powder together. It makes an excellent, natural-tasting sugar sub all by itself, although BochaSweet is better still. You can use half BochaSweet and half the mix (or other sweetener of your choice) and still enjoy all the pluses as if you had used 100% BochaSweet. This helps your BochaSweet investment (and it costs so much that rest assured, it DOES qualify as an investment) go twice the distance for you.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:25 PM   #156
ChelePA
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ChelePA
I still can't believe how much my daughter and I like this sweetener. My cookies taste so much better.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:32 PM   #157
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
I hear ya Chele, I still love it. Still just using it for coffee but so thrilled every time that I make a cup, if this is all that I use it for, I consider it a true LC success.
JJJ'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:08 PM   #158
judytab
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
Is everyone still using BochaSweet successfully? I wanted to order some more JLS but Netrition was out of stock so checked at Amazon where it was more expensive. So decided to look at BochaSweet and it was cheaper than JLS at $15.99/lb with Prime (no shipping). After reading about how expensive it is, I figured that was a good price so just ordered it. I'll be anxious to try it after reading this thread.
Old 12-28-2017, 03:46 PM   #159
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by judytab View Post
Is everyone still using BochaSweet successfully? I wanted to order some more JLS but Netrition was out of stock so checked at Amazon where it was more expensive. So decided to look at BochaSweet and it was cheaper than JLS at $15.99/lb with Prime (no shipping). After reading about how expensive it is, I figured that was a good price so just ordered it. I'll be anxious to try it after reading this thread.
In a word, Judy, YES!!! It has worked wonderfully in cakes, cookies, cheesecakes, cranberry sauce, and ice cream, per my earlier posts. Especially now that JLS has now surpassed the price of BochaSweet, I would have no hesitation using BochaSweet in place of JLS in any product. I predict you're going to like it. A LOT.
Old 12-28-2017, 04:06 PM   #160
marshamarsha
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marshamarsha
Stats: 270/170/150
WOE: low carb my way!
Start Date: 2011
Quote:
yes!! i love this stuff and use it as my primary and only sugar replacement. i have yet to be disappointed in anything I've used it for!
marshamarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 04:54 PM   #161
judytab
Senior LCF Member

I forgot to ask, does anyone know if BochaSweet caramelizes well? That's one thing I don't think was covered in this thread.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:03 PM   #162
judytab
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baricat View Post
Especially now that JLS has now surpassed the price of BochaSweet, I would have no hesitation using BochaSweet in place of JLS in any product. I predict you're going to like it. A LOT.
Thanks to Cat and Marsha for answering so quickly. Cat, do you now use only BS or do you still use it half and half with your original sweetener blend? I was thinking that to be more economical, I could do that blend but with BS instead of JLS. What do you think? Thanks for your help.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:00 PM   #163
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT + Fast Five
Start Date: June 2012
I'm also interested in whether BS caramelizes.
Thanks!
Old 12-28-2017, 06:10 PM   #164
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks to Cat and Marsha for answering so quickly. Cat, do you now use only BS or do you still use it half and half with your original sweetener blend? I was thinking that to be more economical, I could do that blend but with BS instead of JLS. What do you think? Thanks for your help.
Judy, I do use half BochaSweet and half my earlier blend, for the sake of economy I have found that doing so offers all the benefits that would have come from using 100% BS. The sugar-like taste is spot on. In ice cream, the scoopability and silky texture that result when you use all BS still remains when using 50% BS and 50% blend.

As for carmelization, I haven't tested for that capability. BS is a pentose. Pentoses reportedly do carmelize well, but I don't know the ins and outs of the chemistry well enough to determine at what temperature, and how long it takes to accomplish. That requires experimentation, and doing so with BS is absurdly expensive, particularly when you meet with failure!

I intend to do so at some time in the future, but it's gonna take awhile, until I need to carmelize something. (Crème brûlée, anyone?)

If anyone here tries it, please be sure to report on your findings, as many of us are interested in the results.

Last edited by Baricat; 12-28-2017 at 06:15 PM..
Baricat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:44 AM   #165
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I tried Bochasweet in my buttercrunch experiments. It did caramelize, But even going to 290 degrees, it still recrystallized upon cooling. The taste was sweet and pure, but allulose does way better in candies.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:32 AM   #166
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Soobee!! I've missed you!

Thanks for the info. I figured if anyone had tried carmelization, it would be you. Yeah, I was skeptical about how it would carmelize, since it's a pentose and regular sugar is a hexose. Carmelization is strictly a chemical process, and not being familiar with the properties of a pentose, it was worrisome. Good to know, so many thanks for weighing in!
Old 12-29-2017, 11:19 AM   #167
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
Still using bochasweet as one of my main sweeteners! Remember to give you digestive system a little bit of time to get used to it!

It's very disappointing that JLS's pricing is still so expensive and unpredictable in pricing after all of this time. If you want, you can try the nuts dot com website, they sell inulin in bulk and I've purchased from there a couple of times when JLS wasn't an option.
EnglishLit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:46 PM   #168
judytab
Senior LCF Member

LCF is a font of information! Thanks for the info on caramelizing Soobee and thanks for the chemistry lesson Cat! I know that some granular bulk sweeteners caramelize better than others but never knew why. It's too bad that JLS is still so expensive while BS, which is newer, has come down somewhat in price. I will be anxious to try it, especially for chocolate.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:05 PM   #169
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
Still love the BS, currently only using it in my coffee, as I'm not baking a lot right now. But love the taste.
JJJ'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:14 AM   #170
cselzler
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cselzler
WOE: moderate carbs
Finally invested in this. Wow! No cooling taste. Now if the price comes down I'll be thrilled. Planning on a cookie recipe first since that is where the cooling effect bothers me most.
cselzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:04 PM   #171
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Please be sure to share what recipe you try first, cselz! If it's a recipe that you make, I'm sure it's amazing.

It's really incredible, isn't it? It tastes just like sugar in brownies, and especially in ice cream. I wish it were cheaper, as well, but cutting in half with your sweetener (or a blend of whatever you used pre-BochaSweet) works every bit as well. Helps keep your overall cost down, while still imparting that natural, sugar-like taste.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:41 AM   #172
cselzler
Senior LCF Member

Instead of a cookie recipe, I made a fudge recipe. I created it using the tablecream recipe from another thread. Used all bocasweet and Lilly sugar free chocolate chips and instead of the canned cream I used heavy whipping cream. It came out great. No cooling and perfectly sweet. This stuff is wonderful. Or will be when it's more affordable. Of course since sweets are meant to be treats ,maybe it's best that it is limited by cost.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:58 PM   #173
ChelePA
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ChelePA
I used it for all of my Christmas baking and everyone loved the variety of cookies. No cooling or aftertaste. I bought in bulk directly from the site. Everywhere else was sold out.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:25 AM   #174
cselzler
Senior LCF Member

How are all of you counting the carbs in this. 3 per teaspoon according to the package with one fiber. That is pretty hefty. I know most count some ,maybe half, of xylitol carbs.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:56 PM   #175
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

I haven't really been counting exactly. All I can say is nothing I have made with it has knocked me out of keto or raised my blood sugar at all. I can't say, however, that I've consumed more than two Tb or so in a single day. And as an added disclaimer, I don't take in that much very often. Not a lot of help for those on induction, I know.

That said, it might be advisable to steer clear of using it a lot when precise carb counts are needed, and only use it after induction, very occasionally, and only in small amounts.

Wish I could be more precise. I'm on a maintenance regimen, so I'm not as meticulous as I used to be with carb counts when I was trying to lose. Sorry!
Old 01-09-2018, 06:05 PM   #176
marshamarsha
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marshamarsha
Stats: 270/170/150
WOE: low carb my way!
Start Date: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cselzler View Post
How are all of you counting the carbs in this. 3 per teaspoon according to the package with one fiber. That is pretty hefty. I know most count some ,maybe half, of xylitol carbs.
I am very strict with my counting. I count zero for this considering the fact that this 1. is 100% pentose and 2. it has 1 fiber. granted i don't eat this on the regular, but even when i make something and eat it everyday, lol, i don't have an issue with it knocking me out of ketosis. I will stress that with this and with anything-Everyone is different. If you are consuming this very often and regularly and notice a weight stall, obviously cut back. you will have to do your own N=1 to find out. Again, i have had no issues with this at all..
marshamarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:05 PM   #177
JimM
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JimM
I made a batch of chocolate sauce using BS and erythritol in a 50/50 ratio. The usual ingredients with unsweetened (dutch-process) cocoa powder, salt, vanilla, a bit of cornstarch, and butter. The sauce tastes great and it was fine for about three days in the refrigerator, then it started to crystalize, and the crystals are getting bigger day-day.

I know I can dump it back in the pan and reheat to dissolve the crystals, but what a pain. Any ideas to prevent this in future batches?
JimM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:34 PM   #178
cselzler
Senior LCF Member

My guess is the problem is the erythritol. I have had Fudge sauce in my fridge for a week with no crystals forming using bocasweet and stevia. Erythritol has a rep for recrystalizing for me.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:06 PM   #179
judytab
Senior LCF Member

I've tried my new BS in coffee and hot chocolate so far. It does seem to sweeten like sugar. I tend to be afraid to use too much of it (so I don't run out of it too quick), so then I wind up with a tad too little. In both cases, I added a couple of drops of liquid sucralose and was surprised that it really boosted the sweetness more than I expected, even with the chocolate. I have experienced that with Tagatose also, just a little added sucralose really adds a lot of extra sweetness. Good to know if I'm trying to be more economical, that I can get good clean tasting sweetness with that combination. When I make anything that requires more sweetener, I will experiment using it with others like JLS, but so far, so good!
Old 01-15-2018, 08:03 AM   #180
cselzler
Senior LCF Member

In things I've made so far, I did notice in some, the sweetness seems to be less than sugar equivalent and some to be equal. For me it seems that it is somewhat like sucralose in that way. In those things that it doesn't quite seem sweet enough, a drop or two of sucralose ups it just enough. The brownie in a cup needed that extra boost. The fudge didn't so it wasn't chocolate related. Some of it is the "sweetness expectation" which is totally subjective. I keep notes on my recipes to remind me of those personal expectations. But this is so far a great product. Wonder how it would work in a daffodil cake, my fav.