Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 12-19-2017, 08:23 AM   #1
Cookiefiend
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Cookiefiend
New to the board. Confused about all the different flour blends.

Can someone help me out with which blends folks are using for:

1) Chocolate chip cookies
2) Cupcakes

Can you give me your favorite actual link. I’m so confused by this board. It’s so big.

I am excited to try but sort of overwhelmed. Also, Has anyone used any of the ones on the market. Like Carbquik, Trim Healthy Mama, Bob’s Low Carb?

Everything I have tried so far has terrible texture issues and really doesn’t hold together.

In essence, how do you start?

Thanks a ton!
Cookiefiend is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2017, 08:35 AM   #2
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/157/145
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Welcome!

There are many different flour blends. Most have a mixture of almond flour, maybe some coconut flour, maybe some protein powder and there are other combos. Many cooks use different blends for different results.

Unfortunately, low carb baking has a different result than high carb baking, but lots healthier.

Let me find you a my favorite chocolate cookie recipe.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=717622

Last edited by CarolynF; 12-19-2017 at 08:39 AM..
CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:24 PM   #3
LindaSL
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LindaSL
WOE: Just LC (carb counter)
Start Date: May 2011
A simple question, but the answer is...not so simple.

My sense is that you are looking for a substitute for all purpose flour that you can use in recipes for cookies and cupcakes that call for all purpose flour. There are indeed many blends that people have come up with. They will all yield different results. Kind of like science experiments. Try one and see!

But if you are new to low carb baking, I would suggest instead that you look for recipes that low carbers have already developed for cookies and cupcakes. They tend to work out better, and as you learn, then you can start tweaking your high carb recipes into low carb versions with more confidence. As an example, look on this site for Jen Hoberer’s version of toll house cookies. They are amazing, but she doesn’t use a flour blend per se.

I personally use a tweaked version of Kevinpa’s final flour blend. He used it to make cakes and cookies. I mostly use it to make bread, but I successfully converted a high carb coffee cake recipe with that blend.

Have fun!
LindaSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:45 AM   #4
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/116/135 Start:size 22, now size 0.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 11 years.
Bummer!

Linda, I searched for Jen's recipe on your recommendation, which is like gold for me. Unfortunately, I was instantly deflated to find it calls for the dreaded polyD, aka devil dust. Yet another great recipe that's off limits for me.

Just a word of caution to people who are unfamiliar with polyd, proceed with utmost caution. Most are OK with it, but there are a significant number of us in whom even small amounts cause severe gastric distress (i.e. beyond just noxious gas.)
Old 12-21-2017, 06:55 PM   #5
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/157/145
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Cat... I wanted to like PolyD, but it is a disaster for me, too...

CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 08:36 AM   #6
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
If I had to do it all over again, I think I would start with either Carbquik or Carbalose, and then mix those two with almond flour until I figured out how to really bake with low carb flours and sweeteners. I've used them all, but it was very costly, time consuming, and wasteful going through all of the flour blends, sweetener blends, etc trying to figure out which combination worked best for me.

And after all of that, I ended up using Carbquik almost exclusively, though I've been using up my Jenna Marie flour blend and I really like that too! Done with almond flour for good though.
EnglishLit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:27 PM   #7
LindaSL
Senior LCF Member

Cat—thanks so much for the kind words. Indeed a bummer that polyD and you don’t mix. Does even a speck of it bother you? Or just large amounts?
Old 12-23-2017, 05:53 PM   #8
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Linda, just about standing downwind of it is all it takes! Well, maybe not quite that bad, but...

When I figured out what the problem was, I had ingested a serving of the "My Rich Vanilla Ice Cream" recipe that I believe used 2 Tb polyd for the 2 quart recipe. So I had maybe 1/4 tsp, if that. It was so severe that I couldn't move off the bathroom floor the whole night. This was for two reasons. I had to stay near the toilet, as both ends were expelling such copious amounts of bizarre stuff that I could have sworn I lost internal organs. Moreover, I couldn't have moved if I had to. The huge loss of liquids and electrolytes left me so weak I could barely move. I was all alone, and it was very scary. The next day, I was finally able to crawl on all fours to my bedroom, where I collapsed on the floor for several hours in a dead sleep.

Never again. Of course, that means I lose out on some great recipes. But that's the the reality of living in this body. For some of us, just a pinch of that stuff is far more dangerous than a quart of rotgut whiskey. Others just get a little queasy. Some experience an extremely painful stomach ache. Still others get gas and distention. Not all problems are super serious, however, there are enough of us who have problems of varying degrees of severity with it that it's long been my contention that it is absolutely necessary to post an alert when sharing any recipe that includes polyd, as it might be a newbie who makes it who has never heard anything about potential problems caused by it (like me, at the time, for example. Sure wish someone had forewarned me.)
Old 12-26-2017, 11:20 PM   #9
LindaSL
Senior LCF Member

Baricat, though it pains me to read of your harrowing experience, I must say that I greatly enjoy reading anything and everything that you write here. Your descriptions are so colorful that I can almost feel myself writhing in pain on the floor beside you!
Old 12-27-2017, 06:12 AM   #10
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSL View Post
Baricat, though it pains me to read of your harrowing experience, I must say that I greatly enjoy reading anything and everything that you write here. Your descriptions are so colorful that I can almost feel myself writhing in pain on the floor beside you!
Oh! NOOOO, Linda! I never meant to create such a maelström of agony in anyone, and especially not in someone as sweet as you. May you never find the LC ingredient that causes a like experience! Although maltitol, sorbitol and xylitol induce some pretty bad discomfort, they are a pleasure compared to the dreaded polyd.

Worst thing was the first time, I thought it must have been a 24-hour virus, as it was so severe. So after a few days, I actually consumed more of the ice cream, albeit a smaller serving. It wasn't until after I felt almost as bad as the first time that I put two-and-two together, and realized it was no virus that caused it.

I'm a slow learner...
Old 01-07-2018, 08:33 AM   #11
cselzler
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cselzler
WOE: moderate carbs
I use so many different flours and blends that it is sometimes mind blowing. I use a variety of Kevin's last blend for breads, several recipes use "Jennifer's latest bakemix, others use her earlier Bakemixes. Some use only almond flour and gluc. Some use only coconut flour.
I agree, if you are new to low carb, look for recipes which have been posted by other low carbers. That way you aren't investing in specialty products just to learn that you hate the results. you might start with the simpler bake mix from Jennifer since that has simpler ingredients which don't require as many specialty purchases. I've found that for cookies and cakes the sweetener is more a problem for me than flours. Bocasweet may solve some of that for me if price ever comes down.
cselzler is offline   Reply With Quote