Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 01-05-2018, 01:05 PM   #1
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/116/135 Start:size 22, now size 0.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 10 years.
Harvest Right

Does anyone here own or have experience with this freeze dryer? We're thinking of taking the plunge, and would love to hear from someone who has worked with one.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2018, 04:10 PM   #2
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/157/145
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Cat--Amazon has some reviews on it. One is very lengthy.

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:13 PM   #3
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Carolyn. I've read a lot of reviews on Amazon and various other sites. I was hoping one or two of the folks whose opinions I trust most (my LC Friends, that is!) might have tried it and could give their assessments.

It's a pricey piece, for sure. But I could see buying in bulk on sale and never having to worry about having enough freezer space. Plus, it sounds like the quality of this food, once reconstituted, is very close to the real thing. Plus, our two grandbabies are having a serious love affair with freeze dried fruit. Being able to take fresh produce and preserve it like that in huge amounts is attractive.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:26 AM   #4
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/157/145
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Since you live in Florida, I see, you have good access to quality fruit at a cheaper price. That is the key..

Plus, my freezer food gets freezer burn sometimes or lots of snow stuff inside the bags. I bet that doesn't happen when you freeze dry it.

Keep us posted.

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:55 PM   #5
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Carolyn, we have several fabulous farmers' markets within a short radius. Super fresh produce at paltry prices.

And yes, I have that problem of "snow" buildup in my wrapper frozen food. Freeze drying eliminates that problem, and everything is completely shelf stable for 25 years. Plus, once you freeze dry it, it takes up just a fraction of the room. Supposedly, you can even freeze dry ice cream! I imagine it would be like our grandbabies' snack called yogurt melts. Little kiss-sized bits with all the flavor of yogurt, but with the texture of meringues. Actually, I could see doing it up with Fage yogurt, mixed with BochaSweet. Love sweetened, plain Fage, and this makes it easy to pack in workable bags to take anywhere.

There are some great tutorials out there for how to freeze dry individual ingredients, or whole meals like lasagna, stews, and even roast meats.

The only thing I've heard that you cannot freeze dry is butter. The accounts of those who have tried say it kind of explodes and you have to take the machine apart to clean the various parts free of the grease. Thank heaven for the internet. I'm really glad to learn from the mistakes of others!

Thinking seriously of taking the plunge, but don't want to until we move into our new house, now rescheduled for end of March. Can't see having it delivered here first, then having to move it later.