Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 10-28-2005, 06:26 AM   #91
jokath
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jokath
Stats: Then 190/144/144...Now 190/156/155
WOE: Low carb/Gluten Free
Start Date: January 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joycelyn
Jokath, I just thought of something. I just assumed Erythritol measures the same as pourable Splenda, which I use. Is this true? Do you know if 1 tsp. Erythritol is the same as 1 tsp. sugar? There's no mention on the bag! I'll hate to waste any of this stuff; it's so expensive!
I use it in the same proportions as sugar. Normally what I do is combine at least the two sweeteners. If the recipe call for 1 cup of sugar I use 1/2 c of splenda & 1/2 c Erythritol. 1/2 & 1/2 for whatever the measurements is. But I think you would be safe to use 1 t Erythritol for 1 t sugar. Hope this helps. It is expensive, fortunately I dont use a lot of it...
jokath is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2005, 11:33 AM   #92
Joycelyn
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Joycelyn
Jokath, thanks...combining two sweeteners sounds like a good idea. I'll report back over the weekend on how my bread turns out!

What I really like about the coconut flour cookbook is the simplicity of the ingredients and directions. Can't wait to start baking!
Joycelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 04:37 PM   #93
SugarBabi
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SugarBabi
WOE: My Own Type Of Low Carb
Start Date: 2/12/2005
bumping this up to compare to the new thread.......I'm hoping some of you have tried recipes and can post your results or any new recipes you may have come up with. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by SugarBabi; 11-14-2005 at 04:39 PM..
SugarBabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 07:05 PM   #94
Jaideyes
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jaideyes
Stats: 140/110 44 y.o. 5'4"
WOE: Moderate Carbs / Maintenance
Start Date: 1998
Some great sample recipes to try here....
http://www.simplycoconut.com/coconut_flour_recipes.htm
Jaideyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 11:47 AM   #95
Deannie
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deannie
WOE: LC/allergies
Start Date: restarted Oct 4, 03
I tried the Peanut Butter Muffins today, my first recipe using this book and I have to say the texture seems very "heavy" to me, like a wet sponge. Not so bad I can't stand it but heavier than I'm used to. I'm sure I'll get used to it, just first impressions. The coconut over powered the peanut butter too, so next time I will use an oil that has no taste on it's own like peanut or palm oil. The muffins did rise to rounded tops but didn't seem to fill the cups very well. Next time I may only get 4 well filled ones. Oh, and I did up the Splends using liquid to equal 1/2 c. and used s/f chocolate chips in two of them. Just filled 4 cups then stirred chips into the rest of the batter.
JMO on results
Deannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 02:09 PM   #96
Criosa
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Criosa
Stats: 240/171/150
WOE: hhCG, Low Carb
Start Date: In and out since 2003
Everyone here has inspired me. I ordered the book and flour. I'm afraid I can't use carbquik anymore as I have realized that it has been what's been giving me a stomach ache. I think I have celiac sprue like my mom and brother, so this would be a nice alternative. Hoping to see more recipes and comments. Thanks
Criosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 10:59 AM   #97
Deannie
Senior LCF Member

Reporting back on the pb muffins since they had time to blend flavors over night. They have a much less pronounced coconut flavor today. I can hardly taste the coconut at all, but still need more pb flavor to me. Still feel "spongy" though.

After thinking about this I don't think I'd make them again. I'd rather get my pb fix with "Double Peanut Squares". It's an almond flour/peanut crust with whipped pb top layer I tweaked from Kraft.

Has anyone tried the spice cake recipe yet? I'm thinking of trying it next.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:54 AM   #98
parrotchic
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: parrotchic
Deannie I haven't tried the spice cake but the pumpkin bread is very good. Could you please share your "Double Peanut Squares" recipe, Please?
parrotchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:11 PM   #99
Deannie
Senior LCF Member

parrotchic, sure I'll share. I'd prefer to start a new thread though as it has nothing to do with the coconut flour. Look for double peanut sq. in a bit.

Thanks for the info on the pumpkin bread. I will try it soon too.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:24 AM   #100
Deannie
Senior LCF Member

Made the Spice Cake today as that is one DH loves. I don't think this one's gonna cut it for him though. Course it could just be my nose isn't working real well since I've got a touch of sore throat but I can't smell the spices at all and he loves his cake really spicy. Pre low carb my recipe was almost to spicy for me. LOL
Anyway I am really bad with using short cuts in the kitchen so here's what I did to this recipe. I stirred the liquid splenda and vanilla into my coconut milk before combining with my oil. Cut one step there. They blended just fine. Then with the dry ingredients I just stirred the spices into the flour/baking powder mix instead of mixing them in a separate bowl. That worked fine too. It made a really nice size cake. I used the 9x9 pan and it looks just like a "real" flour cake. Still cooling though and I may not taste it till tomorrow to give the flavors time to blend well.
May try one more time using this recipe and double the spices before I decide to chuck or tweak it, if DH doesn't like it.
Will let you know what he says....
Old 11-18-2005, 10:11 AM   #101
Deannie
Senior LCF Member

I am pleasantly surprised!!

Dh liked it as is and so did I. No coconut taste at all and not "tough" feeling though it still is "spongy" probably from all the eggs. The spice was just right too. We just poured cream on it and ate it that way but I bet some maple flavored whipped cream or whipped cream cheese frosting would make it extra special. Will try that with one of the other pieces when I have it again. I froze the rest, hope it takes freezing well.
By my calculations using the USDA site it is 2.4 carbs per 1/9 of the cake... for some reason I didn't figure calories this time.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:14 AM   #102
Deannie
Senior LCF Member

I'm not having very good luck tweaking these recipes to LC. Is anyone else doing better?

Today I made the PB cookies only switching the sugar for granular splenda. The recipe says they will be runny. Mine were so sticky I couldn't even get them off the scoop and the shape they fell in they had to stay in because they stuck to the spoon, spatula and parchment paper equally so they came out looking rough and "spikey". Much to sticky to shape. They taste ok, just not great. Guess I will stick with "Ellies PB Cookie" recipe at least it turns out like I expect and tastes good too.
The "Chocolate Almond Coconut Clusters" were a total flop. I don't know if they would even turn out if you used s/f honey. I used liquid splenda (sweetzfree), the dough was so wet that no way could you roll out a cookie. I just scooped it onto the parchment paper lined sheet and baked. Left them cool on the sheet until cold and tried to remove them. They are still liquidy. I scooped them into a bowl for cheesecake or Ice Cream topping. I have a real sweet tooth and for me they need lots more sweetener.
Over all I've tried 4 recipes from this book and am only happy with one. I'm gonna try that pumpkin bread before I give up though.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:34 AM   #103
SugarBabi
Senior LCF Member

I made the coconut bread out of the recipe book last night. I am not impressed.

It took 6 eggs and it tastes "eggy". I've never been fond of anything with the eggy taste to it.

I did the recipe exactly the way it said and I used a medium loaf pan.

I put the loaf in the fridge overnight and tried a little piece toasted with some butter on it this morning. It tastes a little less eggy, but still eggy nevertheless.

I was so hoping for a bread that I could at least use for breakfast. I think maybe if I would make it again and put in bacon and cheese, maybe some onion and bell pepper or mushrooms, it might be a breakfast bread thing. I'll see if there is anything I can do with this later today. I just hate wasting ingredients and time on stuff that isn't really worthwhile.

My plan is to make the coconut muffins, the ones with the coconut milk in them tonight and see how they are. I will post my results. I'm hoping to figure out how to make things better.

If I could figure out the proper conversion to mix the coconut flour with carbquik or chef's lite or something, then I might have better luck. I honestly haven't had a lot of luck with carbquick either and I'm out of almond flour and have to order a new supply.

It seems like every recipe in the book uses a lot of eggs. I don't think I'll attempt any of the cakes in there.

I'd like to hear more reviews if anyone else has made anything.

Hopefully, we can come up with some tweaks that work. I feel like the Betty Crocker test kitchen lately. LOL

Deannie,
I haven't bought the s/f honey cuz of the sugar alchols and both regular and s/f honey have 17 carbs per Tablespoon. That's a lot to me. So I saw someone post (sorry, I forgot who) that they were going to try and make honey out of brown sugar substitute and davinci's or something to that effect.

I only had the splenda brown sugar stuff--it's part brown sugar and part substitute, and 6 carbs per Tablespoon. So I mixed that with DaVinci's vanilla syrup and pretty much came out with a dark honey type syrup.

The quantities are 1 1/4 cup of brown sugar substitute and 1/3 cup of davinci's mixed together. I only made half that as most recipes call for 1-3 Tablespoons of honey.

That saves 11 carbs per Tablespoon and if using 3 Tablespoons, it really adds up.

Last edited by SugarBabi; 11-23-2005 at 11:37 AM..
Old 11-23-2005, 01:31 PM   #104
Deannie
Senior LCF Member

I'm thinking to only way for me to use this flour so that I like the results is to mix it with nut flours. I really liked the cake I made a couple of days ago. It wasn't eggy or tough/spongy.

I too can not use the SA's even the Erythritol tears me up. Can't stand the bitterness of sugar twin and won't consider splenda/sugar mix so that just leaves me with regular sugar subs.

I loved using the Carbquick but have since found I have a gluten intollerance so must avoid it, carbalose, and vital wheat gluten. The only good thing about this is my egg tollerance has drastically improved.

SugarBabi, how's the texture of the bread? What about making it a cinnamon bread? That might hide the taste of the eggs and make a nice piece of toast for breakfast and I've found that cinn and coconut go well together. The bacon idea is good too because bacon makes everything taste better!
The book says to subs coconut flour in our own recipes you need to use about 1/5-1/4 coc.flour and the rest in (carbquick, carbalose, nut flour. Example: recipe calls for 1 1/4 cups Carbquick -- I'd use 1 cup carbquick and 1/4 c. coconut flour plus a pinch of baking powder. Another example would be if a recipe uses 1/3 c. carbquick then divide it into Tbsp. (5.33) so 1/4 c. in carbquick and 1 T. plus 1 tsp. in coconut flour. Don't know if this helps but maybe..

I'll look for your opinion on the coconut muffins..
Old 11-23-2005, 04:54 PM   #105
Criosa
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deannie
I'm thinking to only way for me to use this flour so that I like the results is to mix it with nut flours. I really liked the cake I made a couple of days ago. It wasn't eggy or tough/spongy.

I too can not use the SA's even the Erythritol tears me up. Can't stand the bitterness of sugar twin and won't consider splenda/sugar mix so that just leaves me with regular sugar subs.

I loved using the Carbquick but have since found I have a gluten intollerance so must avoid it, carbalose, and vital wheat gluten. The only good thing about this is my egg tollerance has drastically improved.

SugarBabi, how's the texture of the bread? What about making it a cinnamon bread? That might hide the taste of the eggs and make a nice piece of toast for breakfast and I've found that cinn and coconut go well together. The bacon idea is good too because bacon makes everything taste better!
The book says to subs coconut flour in our own recipes you need to use about 1/5-1/4 coc.flour and the rest in (carbquick, carbalose, nut flour. Example: recipe calls for 1 1/4 cups Carbquick -- I'd use 1 cup carbquick and 1/4 c. coconut flour plus a pinch of baking powder. Another example would be if a recipe uses 1/3 c. carbquick then divide it into Tbsp. (5.33) so 1/4 c. in carbquick and 1 T. plus 1 tsp. in coconut flour. Don't know if this helps but maybe..

I'll look for your opinion on the coconut muffins..

Deannie I just found out I have a gluten intolerance too! My mom has celiac sprue, and now it looks like I do too. That was why I was interested in the coconut flour. I gave all my Carbquick and carbalose to a friend. It was kind of sad. I too have an egg intolerance, and was hoping that eliminating gluten would help that. I can stand a few eggs, but the amount in the book is a bit much for me, and gives me a stomach ache. I was thinking of trying 20% coconut flour with 80% almond flour, and maybe adding some xanthan gum instead of all the eggs. So far in the book I've made crepes which were kind of hard to flip, but I was happy with them. I didn't like the idea of melting a tablespoon of oil to cook them in though, as the first one was very greasy. I used cooking spray after that. I made pancakes which were so so. I like the flax ones better. I made coconut chocolate chips cookies, which I might have added too much coconut, as they were dry, but I ate them anyway. I think that's it so far.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:59 PM   #106
Deannie
Senior LCF Member

Hi Criosa,

So sorry about your Celiac, I'm not that bad yet, but don't ever want to get there either. I to gave all my carbquick and carbalose, WPI, VWG, etc. away. Also all my Atkins bars and shakes as they too contain VWG. That was alot of money...but I am doing so much better without them. For me the amount of eggs in a recipe from this book divided up into the servings is tollerable. I hope it someday get's well enough I can eat a fried egg but I won't hold my breath on that.
Could you let us know how the xanthan gum works in replacing the eggs? I'd sure appreciate it. I do sometimes use the powdered egg replacer in recipes as there are times I just can't stand them. And after all it isn't that large an amount and the carbs aren't severe.
I do use the baking sprays. I don't like pancakes and such greasy. Can't use flax here that's why I'm trying so hard on the coconut flour, for variety.
Did the chocolate chip cookies taste like coconut? I don't want everything to taste of coconut.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:09 PM   #107
SugarBabi
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the info, Deannie. I still haven't made the coconut muffins. I ran short on time and energy the other night. I'm hoping to try them tonight.

That idea of using cinnamon sounds great. I love cinnamon on just about anything that is dessert.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:16 PM   #108
Criosa
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi Criosa,

So sorry about your Celiac, I'm not that bad yet, but don't ever want to get there either. I to gave all my carbquick and carbalose, WPI, VWG, etc. away. Also all my Atkins bars and shakes as they too contain VWG. That was alot of money...but I am doing so much better without them. For me the amount of eggs in a recipe from this book divided up into the servings is tollerable. I hope it someday get's well enough I can eat a fried egg but I won't hold my breath on that.
Could you let us know how the xanthan gum works in replacing the eggs? I'd sure appreciate it. I do sometimes use the powdered egg replacer in recipes as there are times I just can't stand them. And after all it isn't that large an amount and the carbs aren't severe.
I do use the baking sprays. I don't like pancakes and such greasy. Can't use flax here that's why I'm trying so hard on the coconut flour, for variety.
Did the chocolate chip cookies taste like coconut? I don't want everything to taste of coconut.

This was my first attempt at almond flour/coconut flour baking. I did add arrowroot which adds quite a bit of carbs. Maybe next time I will cut it way down or eliminate it. BUT, it is very good just like I made it here, and my husband and children asked me to leave it like it was. I did add two eggs, but it seems a lot better than half a dozen. If anyone tries my recipe w/o the arrowroot, please let me know.

Gingerbread Cake

1 1/4 c. almond flour
1/4 c. arrowroot
1/2 c. coconut flour
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
1 1/4 c. sf sweeteners (I used a combination)
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp. polydextrose
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 c. melted coconut oil (or butter)
1 Tbsp. molasses
2 eggs
1/2 c. kefir (or buttermilk)
1/4 c. hot water

Mix drys, then wets, and combine. Pour into greased 8x8" pan. Bake at 350 about 30-40 minutes, until set. Really good warm with a butter sauce.

Last edited by Criosa; 11-28-2005 at 05:18 PM..
Old 11-28-2005, 09:28 PM   #109
Grammy G
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grammy G
Stats: 235/185/150
WOE: Paleo
I wasn't able to find the Double Peanut Square recipe. Were you able to post it? It sounds great.
Grammy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 09:46 PM   #110
Grammy G
Senior LCF Member

I've read just about every post on the coconut flour from beginning to end. I'm a bit confused. Is anyone happy with the coconut flour? Is there a place where the recipes are listed that worked?
Old 11-29-2005, 05:44 AM   #111
Criosa
Senior LCF Member

Grammy

Here is the Double Peanut Square Recipe
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...+peanut+square

I am very happy with the coconut flour. I'm just trying to figure out a way to use it that I'm happy with. As far as the recipes here, I think they all work, but it is a personal preference as to whether or not you like it. I didn't much care for all the eggs Bruce Fife used in his cookbook, but there really isn't anything wrong with them. He uses a lot of eggs to avoid having to use many different types of flours, and to give the product some stability. I think that too often many us are disappointed in things we make with alternative flours because we're trying too hard to make them into products like we did with wheat flour. Sometimes we just need to appreciate something for what it is, and not try so hard to make it something its not. Does that make sense?

Last edited by Criosa; 11-29-2005 at 05:56 AM..
Old 11-29-2005, 09:14 AM   #112
Deannie
Senior LCF Member

I agree with Criosa, 100 percent!
The standard I learned with is wheat flour and that's what I try to come closest to with mouth feel and taste. It's not easy using all these alternative ingredients and may not really be possible, but everyone on these boards sure seem to come up with lots of good, easy recipes that let us feel like we aren't missing anything by not using wheat (HC). That's real important when this is a WOL (way of life) because we have no reason to cheat by eating the "forbidden" foods. There are to many alternatives for us.

The problem I have with Dr. Fife's recipes is not the flour. It's subs for the honey and real sugar. My subs don't always work and I have to keep tweaking to come as close as possible to what I think the recipe should turn out like, as I've never made them using his ingredients. Like all LC recipes it doesn't always work if you subs. This doesn't mean I'm not happy with the recipes as printed because that's not how I'm using them. It just means I'm not happy with what I've done to the recipe to make it acceptable for my needs. Hope that came across as intended..

Criosa, that Gingerbread recipe looks yummy.
I'm wondering though if the subs of the arrowroot might have had more to do with replacing of the eggs than the xanthan gum did. Pre LC I made many cake recipes using cornstarch to replace eggs and they worked just as well as recipes using eggs. Aren't cornstarch and arrowroot interchangeable in recipes? So wouldn't that be a reasonable thought?
Old 11-29-2005, 10:15 AM   #113
jokath
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jokath
Stats: Then 190/144/144...Now 190/156/155
WOE: Low carb/Gluten Free
Start Date: January 2003
I have made quite a few of the recipes and the end result is not bad its just not what I was expecting, especially after looking at the pictures of the finished products on the website. Dr Fife uses honey and stevia so I am having to learn to convert the recipes to splenda and erythritol.

I do like the taste of the muffins I have made so far and I like not having to use bake mixes...another thing I like about his recipes are the fact that they only make 6 muffins at one time. If they turn out bad I havent wasted too much in ingredients.

Before I got the cookbook I was simply substituting about 25% of the bake mix in recipes with coconut flour, that seems to work really well. I was happy with the texture and the taste.
jokath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 11:33 AM   #114
SugarBabi
Senior LCF Member

I have a problem with anything that tastes eggy. I don't mind if things don't taste like they would with regular flour. I would like a biscuit that resembles a bisquit...*grin* which the ones I made did, but they were way too floury tasting (chokey). Now that was before I figured out that you need to use less of the coconut flour than regular flour. My next attempt will produce better results, I'm positive about that.

And thanks to Deannie, I know that you need to add more fat instead of liquid when using coconut flour. I love using coconut oil or butter, so that's not a problem for me.

I really don't like the aftertaste of carbquik. I haven't gotten used to it. And I made bisquits with it and they were okay, until I refrigerated them. I made the pizza crust and it was too much aftertaste for my liking. (my big plan is when I get good at this tweaking stuff, to make a coconut flour pizza crust)

I love the fact that you use very little of the coconut flour. And if I could just figure out the right combination, I am sure I can come up with some good recipes. (probably not until after the first of the year, though, as this is our busy time at work)

The taste of the coconut flour itself in anything is okay for me. I like it and it's not real coconutty to me. I feel lame cuz I still haven't made those muffins, but as soon as I do, I will post the results.

Also, for the price of coconut flour, it will be a great substitute for some of the nut flours. When I get some more almond flour, I'm going to try making stuff by combining them.

In all honesty, I haven't had much time to play with this flour. I do hope more people try it and post their results here. If I come up with any worthwhile recipes on my own, I will post them here. I have lots of ideas, but very little time right now.

Last edited by SugarBabi; 11-29-2005 at 11:36 AM..
Old 11-29-2005, 11:48 AM   #115
SugarBabi
Senior LCF Member

I agree with you Criosa.

I also get my husband to taste my results with the coconut flour. He's a non-low carber, so he just wants to try out the goodies. So far, he hasn't liked any of them, even a little bit. I don't think I'm being picky, but then again, I don't like a lot of things that people have raved about on this forum. So maybe it's just my taste buds. LOL

I honestly don't know. I did make the coconut bread exactly as his recipe was in the book. It came out like a very small loaf of bread or small pound cake, but it's the eggy taste that I can't get past. It wasn't terrible like the old Atkins egg bread recipes, but it was still too eggy for me. Now if you like the taste of eggs, then I am sure you will love that bread and it's very simple to make. I haven't given up on that bread yet. I just need to try some suggestions I've gotten on ways to camoflauge the eggy flavor. It uses 6 eggs and I believe you will have to use the 6 eggs so that it will stay together.

I read somewhere in the book that he uses eggs because coconut flour doesn't contain gluten. I'm wondering how it would work if I add some gluten to it before baking. It's just a thought I am having right now. I'm also thinking that maybe if I put some blueberries in that coconut bread that I might be able to eliminate one of the eggs or if not, it might cover up the taste of them.

I'm open to any and all suggestions and advice on this product, as I really want it to work for me.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:54 AM   #116
SugarBabi
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokath
I have made quite a few of the recipes and the end result is not bad its just not what I was expecting, especially after looking at the pictures of the finished products on the website. Dr Fife uses honey and stevia so I am having to learn to convert the recipes to splenda and erythritol.

I do like the taste of the muffins I have made so far and I like not having to use bake mixes...another thing I like about his recipes are the fact that they only make 6 muffins at one time. If they turn out bad I havent wasted too much in ingredients.

Before I got the cookbook I was simply substituting about 25% of the bake mix in recipes with coconut flour, that seems to work really well. I was happy with the texture and the taste.
I am going to try the 25% substitution the next time I can experiment. I also have chef's lite flour that I am thinking would be good to mix with the coconut flour. I still have mini carb baking mix that is so lite, it never stays on anything I try to fry or bake with it. The coconut flour might give it some weight, so I think I may combine them the next time I fry chicken and see what happens.

I was striving for a great breakfast bread or muffin, but I'd be happy just to use the coconut flour for anything. I may have to invest in some strong flavorings to fool my taste buds or something. *grin*
Old 11-29-2005, 04:33 PM   #117
Criosa
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Criosa, that Gingerbread recipe looks yummy.
I'm wondering though if the subs of the arrowroot might have had more to do with replacing of the eggs than the xanthan gum did. Pre LC I made many cake recipes using cornstarch to replace eggs and they worked just as well as recipes using eggs. Aren't cornstarch and arrowroot interchangeable in recipes? So wouldn't that be a reasonable thought?
Deannie,

I used arrowroot instead of cornstarch because it is easier on my digestion. Using starches in gluten free baking is something I've learned from my mom who's been baking that way for years. I'm trying to show her that you can eat lower carb even when you eat gluten free. I would love to see a thread on gluten free/low carb baking. This gingerbread recipe is really good, I just finished another piece!
Old 11-29-2005, 09:56 PM   #118
Grammy G
Senior LCF Member

I hope that sometime you gals could post all the successful recipes you've found for coconut flour in one place. That would be so helpful! You gals are such a great resource!

Hugs,
Grammy
Old 11-30-2005, 01:18 PM   #119
Deannie
Senior LCF Member

Banana Sour Cream Bread

Hey, Criosa isn't this the thread you're hoping for? Do any of these recipes contain gluten? I don't remember all the recipes so far and am to lazy to go look right now.
If this isn't what you want why don't you start one and explain the types of recipes you are looking for?

Finally! made a sweet bread with the texture I've been looking for but I don't know if I will be able to duplicate it into other flavors yet. I don't do yeast breads as I have that dreaded allergy to yeast. Anyway this came out great! Not eggy, or spongy and looks very much like my old wheat flour recipes. It is a bit oily on the fingers and I think I will cut the oil to 1/4 c. next time if it doesn't improve after sitting a while.

Banana Sour Cream Bread

tweaked from a 2002 LC Luxury recipe

1/3 c. butter or oil, softened but not melted (I used Palm oil)
4 ounces cream cheese, room temp.
4 large eggs, room temp.
1 c. splenda granular (used liquid to equal)
1-2.5 ounce jar GF banana baby food (Beechnut)
1/4 c. sour cream
1 tsp. Banana extract
1/4 tsp. Vanilla extract

1 pkt. Stevia plus
1 ˝ c. almond flour
1/4 c. protein powder (I used some Keto soy shake mix I'm trying to use up)
1/4 c. coconut flour
1 tsp. Baking powder
˝ tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Cinnamon

˝ c chopped nuts, optional

Preheat oven to 350*F. Spray a 8x4 loaf pan or 12 muffin cups.

Sift dry ingredients in a small bowl. In a large bowl cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until lumps are gone. Add the rest of the wet ingredients stirring well. Mix in the dry ingredients, stirring well. Pour into loaf pan or scoop into muffin cups and bake 45-60 minutes for loaf or 20-25 minutes for muffins or until they test done.

Enjoy
Old 12-06-2005, 12:16 AM   #120
SugarBabi
Senior LCF Member

Well, I haven't done any baking, but I did a small experiment for dinner.

I used 2 parts chef's lite flour and 1 part coconut flour for breading on fried chicken strips. First I dunked them in egg with some cream mixed in and then dropped them into the flour mixture with a few spices added in. Then I put them on a cookie sheet in the fridge for an hour. (that seems to make the batter stick better for me).
Then I redunked them in the egg and flour mixture and then fried them in coconut oil. Can I say yummy? Yes! My husband even loved them and the meat was super-tender.
The only thing is that I almost burned them because the crust cooked up a lot faster than it does with regular flour or with almond flour/carbquik mixture.
Oh, no coconut taste to them at all. I used the coconut oil that you get at Walmart to cook them in.

My next attempt is going to be chicken fried steak. My husband is a fried food person. He doesn't mind the crust, so I'm sure the steak will turn out okay too. Then I don't have to cook things separately and life gets easier at dinnertime for the cook. LOL