Old 12-28-2017, 08:07 AM   #1
Mick6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mick6
Stats: 238.8/185/140
WOE: carb nite/ allergy free
Start Date: 01/01/2017
Wheat allergy vent

This is a small vent! I should get a buck for very person that thinks there is no such thing as a wheat allergy diagnosis in adults! I should get five for every person that thinks Im full of it and just following a sun new trend. Everyone seems to get what Celiacs is so why is an allergy hard to understand? Ironically one of my adult children has also now been diagnosed. The dr doesnt hink he had asthma as a kid but an allergy.

I actually have a copy of my allergy reports on my phone.I just had someone argue with me yesterday that it was impossible and I was wrong. I whipped it out and asked if Mayo Clinic was a hoax. I recently had someone swear something was wheat free when it wasnt. They got to see the quick first hand results of a very small bite. UGH people are frustrating!!! Since i have lost weight since my diagnosis ya know it must me just a crazy diet!

Last edited by Mick6; 12-28-2017 at 08:10 AM..
Mick6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2017, 03:39 PM   #2
Maryposa

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/185/155
WOE: VSG - Keto - Gluten, Coffee and Egg Allergies
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
How frustrating. You know, this made me realize I tend to say I can't have whatever is being offered because I have "food allergies"... Which is true, but as far as I know I'm only allergic to three things. But I realized if it's egg or coffee I'll say I can't I'm allergic to egg, or coffee. It's just wheat/gluten that I keep it generic. I think it's because I realize too many people self diagnose as gluten intolerant and hey maybe they are... but when the ones who do that as part of a diet or have mild reactions and "cheat" / are seen eating bread or pasta etc people start to roll their eyes.

10 sizes lost, 1 or 2 to go!
See my weight loss progress on youtube!
my youtube channel for my post-op weight loss surgery (VSG) journey
Maryposa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:52 PM   #3
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/217/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/NK
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I have been GF for years and have never had anyone react that way. I do live in hippie-dippie land where almost everyone is allergic to something or on some sort of cleanse.

My son developed shortness of breath out of the blue when he was about 15. I took him to the doctor who just shrugged his shoulders and wrote a prescription for an inhaler. We tried food elimination and it was being caused by wheat.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:07 AM   #4
Mick6
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for letting me vent. Dh jokingly said when I had a surgery I should have kept my allergy band on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
How frustrating. You know, this made me realize I tend to say I can't have whatever is being offered because I have "food allergies"... Which is true, but as far as I know I'm only allergic to three things. But I realized if it's egg or coffee I'll say I can't I'm allergic to egg, or coffee. It's just wheat/gluten that I keep it generic. I think it's because I realize too many people self diagnose as gluten intolerant and hey maybe they are... but when the ones who do that as part of a diet or have mild reactions and "cheat" / are seen eating bread or pasta etc people start to roll their eyes.
I actually try not to say anything if I can avoid it. When I was diagnosed I really had some declining health going on and so many breathing hives and liver issues they couldn't explain or blame on Lyme's. Now I have no issues besides an occasional Lyme's flare and perfect health markers. I will say the longer I have been wheat free the worse the reaction is if i get a bit by mistake. I enjoy
breathing and now carry an epi

Egg must be a hard allergy. I think your right many people self diagnose. When we go out to eat its rare but places tend to ask now if it is allergy or preference. I like that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
I have been GF for years and have never had anyone react that way. I do live in hippie-dippie land where almost everyone is allergic to something or on some sort of cleanse.

My son developed shortness of breath out of the blue when he was about 15. I took him to the doctor who just shrugged his shoulders and wrote a prescription for an inhaler. We tried food elimination and it was being caused by wheat.
I don't find that odd about your son at all. My 24 year old start wheezing frequent!y after eating. Having had parent with allergy he decided to go to the allergist right away since it tends to run in families.

I have to say here in my area of the Midwest I know no one who has been on a cleanse. I will say in the grade schools there are a lot of food allergies. However a lot of adults my age seem to think those younger parents are trying to make a generation of sick kids. Working in the schools myself I know there are no diet mods done with out a Drs orders on file.

Last edited by Mick6; 12-30-2017 at 06:08 AM..
Old 12-31-2017, 05:06 AM   #5
Dottie
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: ADF mostly Paleo
There's a thing going around FB now saying there's no such thing as gluten sensitivity.
It's very annoying.
Just because someone is not full blown celiac doesn't mean gluten doesn't affect them.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

Be sure to visit Netrition on Facebook for the latest products and deals!
https://www.facebook.com/Netritioncom-210889832433/

The past is beyond your control. The future starts right now, this moment: take control!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:58 AM   #6
Maryposa

Yes that is annoying. I tested positive for the antibodies but negative for celiac. I believe that I tested negative for celiac because my wheat consumption was already so low (low carb diet). Enough to have some antibodies on the lab test and some "redness" in my lower stomach but not enough to cause damage to diagnose celiac... if that makes sense

Old 12-31-2017, 12:02 PM   #7
Maryposa

Also, for once it was a doctor who figured it out for me (unlike my hyperinsulin which I had to ask for the tests). I had regular stomach aches for two years before that.
Because I was low carb I didn't think gluten was my problem (but it's in low carb tortillas and soy sauce and even flavored pork rinds etc). When she suggested the test I was doubtful. Makes me wonder how many others blame stress or other things for feeling unwell but actually have gluten or other food allergies

Old 12-31-2017, 12:12 PM   #8
Maryposa

Oh and the tests aren't done regularly. My sister in law was very impressed with Kaiser (which I have)... she had to search high and low for an TTG, IgA, IgG etc for her son. Not easy to get a gluten allergy diagnosed let alone celiac which requires an upper GI

Old 12-31-2017, 12:35 PM   #9
Mick6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
There's a thing going around FB now saying there's no such thing as gluten sensitivity.
It's very annoying.
Just because someone is not full blown celiac doesn't mean gluten doesn't affect them.
Yes and if you think people thinks there is no such things as that try a wheat allergy but not necessarily gluten. Im fine with things gluten sensitive and celiacs cant have like barley. Of course gluten free is wheat free by default.

Quote:
Yes that is annoying. I tested positive for the antibodies but negative for celiac. I believe that I tested negative for celiac because my wheat consumption was already so low (low carb diet). Enough to have some antibodies on the lab test and some "redness" in my lower stomach but not enough to cause damage to diagnose celiac... if that makes sense
Yep it makes sense. We are truly our own best advocates. I kind of wonder how much damage do they want you to have. I do not have celiacs just a wheat allergy. For me the big issue was coughing wheezing and struggling to breath after eating. I also never connected the frequent potty trips.

Quote:
Also, for once it was a doctor who figured it out for me (unlike my hyperinsulin which I had to ask for the tests). I had regular stomach aches for two years before that.
Because I was low carb I didn't think gluten was my problem (but it's in low carb tortillas and soy sauce and even flavored pork rinds etc). When she suggested the test I was doubtful. Makes me wonder how many others blame stress or other things for feeling unwell but actually have gluten or other food allergies
That is a good point. Im glad you got it figured out so you could feel well.

Last edited by Mick6; 12-31-2017 at 12:37 PM..
Old 01-09-2018, 04:40 PM   #10
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/157/145
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
I'm going through NAET allergy treatments right now. You are tested, then treated, then "cleared" for the offending food item.

I was allergic to eggs (never knew it), but felt better after being treated. I'm definitely allergic to wheat, Vitamin C, etc. Hopefully, all these things will be cleared in a couple of months.

Say Goodbye to Illness is the book by Dr. Nambudripad..

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:19 PM   #11
Mick6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
I'm going through NAET allergy treatments right now. You are tested, then treated, then "cleared" for the offending food item.

I was allergic to eggs (never knew it), but felt better after being treated. I'm definitely allergic to wheat, Vitamin C, etc. Hopefully, all these things will be cleared in a couple of months.

Say Goodbye to Illness is the book by Dr. Nambudripad..
Wow that is really amazing. I didn't know there was such a thing. I have a friend whose kids did some type of treatment to not be allergic to dogs and grass but I had no idea that that work with food. If you don't mind update how it goes I'm very curious.