Old 11-30-2013, 10:02 AM   #31
Trigger828
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
Stats: 234 /179 / 170?
WOE: A72, ZC
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaisMama View Post
It's so strange how food can become a krutch, addiction or saboteur. I heard someone say once food addiction is the hardest to beak because unlike drugs or alcohol, it's something our bodes need, that we must encounter everyday.
everyone HAS to eat. and what goes in the mouth means we want the exact same effect as what a drinker or drug user wants. euphoria. food can give us that easily.

as much as all addictions are physical, we MUST change the mind. once thru the detox of all of it, the MIND is key. How do we change what we think? How we process it all into goals? Achievements? And keep it all in line for life without backtracking and failure?

Whew. life in many areas are hard to handle. Life has many pitfalls along the way. All ones we must navigate thru.

I think for me personally it was a simple: I am done! Done with it! Done with diets etc. and the failures that comes with them. Time for a real hard look at my life and what the heck I want from it. And then move towards that goal. it is what worked for me. What do I want and how can I achieve it? I answered my question and am working toward it for life.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2013, 05:28 AM   #32
JMacB
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/185/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
When I began low carb (this time) I remember thinking "I can't wait until I lose my weight so I can have . . . again". But the weight loss slowed down, and I'm still 30 lbs from my interim goal, 2 1/2 years later.

I am so grateful for the stalls and slow weight loss. It has driven home to me that I CAN do this long term, that it's not miserable and I'm not missing out, and that this is now my way of life, not a diet. I can't imagine eating any other way again, and I won't. I occasionally have planned indulgences when I can eat something that was on my list (ice cream, Boston cream pie), so I don't feel deprived. But they are RARE--birthdays and anniversaries, primarily. Other than that, I stick to low carb and try to make sure I'm really enjoying what I eat (mmmm, butter on veggies!).

I think each of us has to go through a grieving process, and it takes time to come to the "acceptance" stage when we realize we can't go back to SAD eating ever again. The slow weight loss has been a gift in giving me plenty of time to accept this.

As you move through the stages, you may feel sad or even angry ("how come my thin sister can eat whatever she wants?"). But as long as you stick with it, there will be a time when it's OK.
I've never thought about this before, but it is so true: my slow journey has made it possible for me to see that I can do this over the long-term. I started almost two years ago, and have seen great results but also that it is just how I eat now. Thank you for posting this.
JMacB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #33
ncgirl05
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ncgirl05
Stats: 26/18/10
WOE: <50 carbs
Start Date: Jan 2010
This really is the best thread I've read in a while - such thoughtful responses, and so many that I can relate to! From realizing this is long term, that I can do it long term, to the fact that I miss my starches but it's not killing me anymore, to the fact that sugar makes me feel 'ick' when I have it, so I just don't have it.....

Just some excellent posts!

Leigh Anne
ncgirl05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #34
Timesup
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Timesup
I read through the posts that were here this morning - and want you all to know that your heartfelt insight helped me from quitting many times today. You see, I'm just starting out again - today was day 1 and I kept telling myself that I must be wrong - surely I don't have to return to low carb eating...I can just eat what I want, but watch my portions. And all of your words of wisdom came back to me and I made it through the day on plan! So thank you all so much...now I'm on to Day 2!!
Timesup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:18 PM   #35
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timesup View Post
I read through the posts that were here this morning - and want you all to know that your heartfelt insight helped me from quitting many times today. You see, I'm just starting out again - today was day 1 and I kept telling myself that I must be wrong - surely I don't have to return to low carb eating...I can just eat what I want, but watch my portions. And all of your words of wisdom came back to me and I made it through the day on plan! So thank you all so much...now I'm on to Day 2!!
your post made me very happy. I don't know you but I do in a way. We all start on day one and proceed to day 2 and so on. Let us know how day 2 goes. We are here to cheer you on!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #36
susume
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susume
Stats: 140/126/120 73 yr.old 4'9"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Well I just keep starting over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncgirl05 View Post
This really is the best thread I've read in a while - such thoughtful responses, and so many that I can relate to! From realizing this is long term, that I can do it long term, to the fact that I miss my starches but it's not killing me anymore, to the fact that sugar makes me feel 'ick' when I have it, so I just don't have it.....

Just some excellent posts!

Leigh Anne
Well said. I feel the same (only Leigh Anne can say it better).
Old 12-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #37
once_&_for_all
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: once_&_for_all
Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for this reassuring and eye-opening thread. I am a newbie here and joined up today, having hit a low point, and with a very similar question on my mind... do I really have to keep my diet really extreme, FOREVER?! Reading your messages, I realize the answer is yes!

I have a spent a lifetime being on a diet (mostly low carb) every few years, then thinking I was "maintaining" when I really was just going back to my old ways of eating and my weight was just creeping back up, only to massively JUMP during stressful times.... after which I would find myself back to square one, time and time again.

I guess I always thought that when I finally GOT IT, reached my goal, found the magic formula.... I would not have to think about food again. I would be able to eat the odd sweet, eat rice or pasta for dinner without thinking about it.... that somehow things would change. I guess not!

But this realisation is not as scary as it should be for some reason....!
once_&_for_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:52 PM   #38
bluegrassmom
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bluegrassmom
Totally, 100% agree. Traditional sweets and junk food just kind of make me go, "Eh..." But give me some old fashioned southern food and soul food....oh gosh, I'm a gone girl at that point.

[QUOTE=susan41;16696895]I **WISH** I were addicted to sugar, that one was easy. Sugars were the first to go for me, the addiction for me was savory/salty. Chicken an dumplings? Bag of Cheetos? Chicken fried steak with gravy and mashed potatoes? I'd give up sugar cookies any day for those. No brownie, soda, pie or ice cream could have ever compared. Not even a stupid snickers bar could hold a candle to a convenience store fried egg roll and bean/cheese burrito.
QUOTE]
bluegrassmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:48 AM   #39
Aquarius
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aquarius
Stats: 190/135/125
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: 3/3/2012
Quote:
do I really have to keep my diet really extreme, FOREVER?!
It has helped me to not think of it as extreme, just a change. I just eat differently than I used to.

Quote:
But this realisation is not as scary as it should be for some reason....!
That's because it doesn't have to be scary at all.
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #40
BringOnTheLard
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BringOnTheLard
Stats: 240/179/150
WOE: Ketogenic / VLCVHF
Start Date: Early Aug 2013
For me the obesity is secondary. After reading and researching for almost 10 years I realize if I want to be healthy and mentally fit, this is the only way. My maternal grandmother had lupus and died after slipping into a diabetic coma. My father died from the complications of chemotherapy for lymphoma. My mother died at 62 of ovarian cancer after decades of believing that low fat and vegetarian was healthiest and was taking probably 20 different supplements daily also for decades. She also had limited mobility due to a wasted knee joint and extreme obesity, also had her right shoulder joint totally wasted away. My sister (my only sibling) died at 59 of the complications of diabetes a few years ago, she had been close to death a couple times over the years and also suffered from Sjogrens (sp?) disease, rheumatoid arthritis, and other issues. Was in a wheelchair for 10 years before she died and was easily over 500 lbs at times. Yet, the older generation, my father's parents and my mother's grandparents, all lived to very ripe ages of 80's to upper 90's.

When I remember my mom and sister at my age. My mom barely able to walk, unable to use her right arm and over 300 lbs. And my sister around 500 lbs, in a wheelchair, and very very ill. I realize how lucky I am, and healthy, even with some extra weight right now, which is on it's way out. Although I didn't do LC till recently, for the last 10 years I did ignore the low fat BS, avoided trans fats, ate a lot of whole foods and natural fats, and avoided sugar. I think that's what maintained my health even if it didn't get me slim.

Knowing that I'll end up like the rest of my immediate family... sick, miserable, then dead, keeps this woe not temporary, but my only option.

Last edited by BringOnTheLard; 12-05-2013 at 08:47 AM..
BringOnTheLard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #41
karenann33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: karenann33
I made it to goal in Jan 2013. In fact my husband thought I'd lost too much weight (never thought I'd hear those words).

Then began that slippery slope of carbs…

I know I can't do this but life got in the way and I rationalized.

After 11 months I'm up 4 sizes. Did I mention this was the THIRD time I've made it to goal? Sigh.

So for those reading learn from my mistakes just don't do it. It's NOT worth it.

No sugar, healthy carbs, and forget those LC treats too. The only thing I seem to can handle is Diet Coke/tea with splenda.
karenann33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #42
BringOnTheLard
Senior LCF Member

I can't do artificial sweeteners either (horrible hunger and stomach aches), so I don't make any kinds of treats or drink diet sodas or sugar free candies, etc. However, I have found that small amounts of stevia is ok for me. So when I feel some need for a treat, I make myself a cappuccino, and just use a bit of stevia (1/3 packet) and some cinnamon and heavy cream. Works great.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:39 PM   #43
kjwalsh
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kjwalsh
Stats: 205/150/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2013
[/QUOTE]Knowing that I'll end up like the rest of my immediate family... sick, miserable, then dead, keeps this woe not temporary, but my only option.[/QUOTE]

Sorry for your losses and at such young ages.

I'm glad you have found what works for you, keep up the good work!
kjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:43 AM   #44
EatRite
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: EatRite
Stats: 260/219.8/205
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: June 2015 (most recent) @225#
These posts are all so supportive. We are all in this together and have to deal with the idea of how to make this lifestyle sustainable. Because we have to, our life really DOES depend on it.
EatRite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:55 AM   #45
BringOnTheLard
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Quote:
Knowing that I'll end up like the rest of my immediate family... sick, miserable, then dead, keeps this woe not temporary, but my only option.
Sorry for your losses and at such young ages.

I'm glad you have found what works for you, keep up the good work!
Thank you. This "project" of losing weight is actually keeping me mentally occupied as this time of year can be quite lonely. Will be splurging at Christmas a bit and making a couple of family favorite recipes.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:56 AM   #46
CurlsNCuffs
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CurlsNCuffs
Start Date: April 2, 2003
I avoid all sugar alcohols - OMG - they are a killer! NEVER AGAIN!
CurlsNCuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:22 AM   #47
kjwalsh
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kjwalsh
Stats: 205/150/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2013
Quote:
Thank you. This "project" of losing weight is actually keeping me mentally occupied as this time of year can be quite lonely. Will be splurging at Christmas a bit and making a couple of family favorite recipes.
Yes, it is quite a project isn't it? My dad died earlier this year and he taught me how to make awesome stuffing so that will be my one cheat. I gave the pumpkin cheesecake from the recipe section a trial run and that got a thumbs up from hubby. It's the planning that keeps me "safe" ~ most of the time!
kjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:12 AM   #48
4devochki
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 4devochki
Stats: 191.8/164/132
WOE: meds weightloss/PSMF
Start Date: 29 May 2017
Count me in there with you, KaisMama, and all the rest who have to swear off this stuff for good, or at least one day at a time.

I know that if I take it up again, the cravings will be stronger than ever, and that it will be very easy to sink into a downward spiral. Since I'm doing ADF and some people do lose weight on it by eating carbs, I'm tempted once in a while to try it out. But everytime I think of having something, I ask myself, "could I or would I stop at one (cookie, serving of cake, chips, piece of toast, etc.)?" If the answer is no, I don't start. No, it's not fair, and yes, I'm mourning having a broken metabolism, but I'm done with denying or railing against reality, and I've moved on to acceptance.
4devochki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:48 AM   #49
kessler82
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kessler82
Stats: 334/228/230
Start Date: 6/17/2013
I've been there. I had the same exact issue with cigarettes. Some may question the relevance, but I knew if I smoked one cigarette after quitting, I would be back to a pack a day in no time. It sounds like this is same thing with you and sugar. The great thing here is, you are very self aware with what your issue is, which should help make your journey easier.
kessler82 is offline   Reply With Quote