Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 01-15-2018, 10:17 AM   #181
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT + Fast Five
Start Date: June 2012
CSelzler that is a great description. That "sweetness expectation" is true for us.
I realize sucralose is a poor sweetener of chocolate, but I often use a couple of drops to bump up the sweetness.
I do think there's a synergistic effect, too, in using a variety of sweeteners.

Cat, I've been using a variety of sweeteners for years, but finally made your proprietary blend. WOW. My entire low-carb eating family and extended family were thrilled. Thanks for that recipe. I'm still surprised by the lack of cooling effect of all that erythritol. And no bitter stevia taste.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2018, 11:33 AM   #182
judytab
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by cselzler View Post
Wonder how it would work in a daffodil cake, my fav.
What is a daffodil cake? Sounds interesting. About BS, it's interesting that you would need the extra boost with one chocolate dessert but not another. I'm always hesitant to use sucralose with chocolate because too much, or if you use only Sucralose, makes it bitter. But with this, you only need a little to make a big difference.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:33 PM   #183
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
Not sure about the recrystallizing of BS but I know that sometimes xylitol will, someone specifically mentioned a fudge sauce and that is where I've noticed xylitol will crystal. So in 1 batch, which is about 1 qt, I add in 1 T. agave syrup and crystallization doesn't happen. Maybe this would work with BS. Agave works like cornsyrup does in preventing crystallization I think, that's how it's worked for me.
JJJ'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:58 PM   #184
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
Erythritol is definitely the culprit. I have used half erythritol and half sugar in sauces just to reduce calories, and erythritol will STILL find a way to fight through and part of the sauce will recrystallize. It reminds me of honey.

The only sweetener I know of that will really keep erythritol in line and inhibit any crystals reforming is vitafiber. Something about it really neutralizes the effects of erythritol.
EnglishLit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:38 PM   #185
cselzler
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cselzler
WOE: moderate carbs
Daffodil cake is a sponge/ angel cake with both yellow and white portions you swirl together and bake in an angel cake pan. It is my most favorite cake in the world. And, I might add, a very dangerous cake to have any place near me. Can't stop at one piece.
cselzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:49 AM   #186
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/116/135 Start:size 22, now size 0.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 10 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
CSelzler that is a great description. That "sweetness expectation" is true for us.
I realize sucralose is a poor sweetener of chocolate, but I often use a couple of drops to bump up the sweetness.
I do think there's a synergistic effect, too, in using a variety of sweeteners.

Cat, I've been using a variety of sweeteners for years, but finally made your proprietary blend. WOW. My entire low-carb eating family and extended family were thrilled. Thanks for that recipe. I'm still surprised by the lack of cooling effect of all that erythritol. And no bitter stevia taste.
Judy, I'm so glad you liked it as much as we do! Thank you for letting me know how well it worked for you.

I used it in ice cream, and that's the real test. When it's in there, there is no baking to mellow it, and it is the second largest constituent, after the cream. Even so, it comes through with flying colors. So in baked goods, it's not a heavy lift.

Now, I've begun using BochaSweet. I mix it, however, half-and-half with this mix, primarily because it helps cut down on cost. The two together have undeniable synergy. The taste is perfectly sweet, and you get the ancillary benefits of using all BochaSweet, like its keeping ice cream scoopable, for example.

Of course, both BochaSweet and this blend stand quite capably on their own.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:39 PM   #187
marshamarsha
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marshamarsha
Stats: 270/170/150
WOE: low carb my way!
Start Date: 2011
BochaSweet continues to exceed my every expectation in my baked goods and cooking! I experiment with various international cuisines and cannot be more delighted with BochaSweet in its taste profile.

I ordered another 10 lbs. and was grateful for their generosity! BochaSweet has a lifetime member in me for sure!

Thank you BochaSweet for your wonderful product and kind gesture!
marshamarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:21 PM   #188
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

I'm a lifer, too, Marsha!
Old 01-24-2018, 05:26 AM   #189
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/103/100-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
BochaSweet doesn't have any European distributors - probably just as well given that it would probably cost x2 or more here which would make it completely infeasible to use.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:48 PM   #190
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
BochaSweet doesn't have any European distributors - probably just as well given that it would probably cost x2 or more here which would make it completely infeasible to use.
I feel your pain! Well, then, you'll just have to make a trip to visit us here, across the pond. Bring an extra suitcase, and tank it up with BochaSweet bags. It's so good that it might well be worth the trip!

Seriously, no doubt they'll begin to market it around the globe before too long. Unfortunately, the company isn't very good about answering emails. Just keep monitoring your favorite low carb supplier's website on a regular basis to watch for it, and I'm sure that within a few months, they'll begin to handle it. As word gets out among us low carbers, surely demand will induce them to stock it.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:48 PM   #191
JimM
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JimM
Stats: 273/202/195
WOE: low carb (<60/day)
Start Date: 1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baricat View Post
I feel your pain! Well, then, you'll just have to make a trip to visit us here, across the pond. Bring an extra suitcase, and tank it up with BochaSweet bags. It's so good that it might well be worth the trip!

Seriously, no doubt they'll begin to market it around the globe before too long. Unfortunately, the company isn't very good about answering emails. Just keep monitoring your favorite low carb supplier's website on a regular basis to watch for it, and I'm sure that within a few months, they'll begin to handle it. As word gets out among us low carbers, surely demand will induce them to stock it.
Bocha Sweet relies on a steady supply of Bocha squash, and availability of that crop ultimately limits the amount of product.

As for filling a suitcase with bags of a crystalline white powder and heading through a customs checkpoint -- good luck with that!
JimM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 03:18 AM   #192
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/103/100-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Quote:
I contacted them and did obtain a response that said they don't have anywhere in Europe. Now, if only I knew anything about distributorship...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
As for filling a suitcase with bags of a crystalline white powder and heading through a customs checkpoint -- good luck with that!
I seriously had that problem when I used to purchase freezer pectin in the US - packets of white powder, what could possibly be misconstrued.

Then I started sending it to myself by post but the change in regulations on that made it tricky. I finally persuaded a company over here to start stocking it but it took nearly 5 years for them to do this!

I'm going to approach a couple of online companies in the UK to see if it might be worth exploring for them but I shan't hold my breath.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:24 AM   #193
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
Bocha Sweet relies on a steady supply of Bocha squash, and availability of that crop ultimately limits the amount of product.

No problem with white, powdery stuff. And it would probably be the same for crystalline stuff. You may get subjected to extra screening, but they just quickly wand it, and you're on your way. That's what happened when I packed my own bread mixes to take to Mexico. Once in Mexico, they just had a dog sniff my luggage, the dog didn't sit down, so we were waved through. I was afraid of that, too, but the TSA doesn't work by sight only. It all depends on what their detection chemicals say.

As for availability of crop, don't think that's what's in play here. We can still get it here now. It's not like BochaSweet has been a seasonal thing. It looks like they just haven't arranged suppliers elsewhere. It looks like the US may have been the global guinea pig to see if it would be successful. No doubt other markets will open up in due time.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:38 PM   #194
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Their customer service really is lacking.

I messaged them to find out how many calories and carbs would be in 1 *cup. We all know that a serving size of any low/zero calorie sweetener is 0c/0f/0c, but what about when you use more in recipes? They never responded.

I just count it like I count something like Splenda granular, but it sucks to not really know for sure.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:15 PM   #195
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishLit View Post
Their customer service really is lacking.

I messaged them to find out how many calories and carbs would be in 1 *cup. We all know that a serving size of any low/zero calorie sweetener is 0c/0f/0c, but what about when you use more in recipes? They never responded.

I just count it like I count something like Splenda granular, but it sucks to not really know for sure.
Ditto here, English! I've written to them multiple times and have yet to receive one response. Their "customer service" is... lacking, to put it politely.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:46 PM   #196
Dottiedog
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dottiedog
I am new to this board and am intrigued by your positive reviews of Bochasweet. I am thinking of ordering it but before I do, I want to feel confident that it will not spike my blood sugar as I am prediabetic. I feel like I wasted a lot of money on Sukrin Fiber Gold which causes spikes for a lot of people. Has anybody had a problem with this? Also, another question - erythritol sweeteners leave a sweet taste my mouth so that anything I drink afterwards tastes sweet - very annoying. Does Bochasweet do this? Thanks.
Dottiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:33 PM   #197
marshamarsha
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marshamarsha
Stats: 270/170/150
WOE: low carb my way!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottiedog View Post
I am new to this board and am intrigued by your positive reviews of Bochasweet. I am thinking of ordering it but before I do, I want to feel confident that it will not spike my blood sugar as I am prediabetic. I feel like I wasted a lot of money on Sukrin Fiber Gold which causes spikes for a lot of people. Has anybody had a problem with this? Also, another question - erythritol sweeteners leave a sweet taste my mouth so that anything I drink afterwards tastes sweet - very annoying. Does Bochasweet do this? Thanks.
Hello dottiedog, I can only attest for myself and my type one diabetic son. Neither one of us spike our blood sugar with bochasweet. It is, now, the only sweetner we purchase. It does not leave a cooling effect or lingering sweet taste afterwards for us. But you will have to sample it for yourself as everyone is biologically different. If you have any issues with your product, I will be more than happy to purchase it off your hands. I feel confident that you will have similar experiences with bochasweet as we have. You will only know if you test it for yourself. I will suggest that if you do decide to purchase and use it, to start off slow, like a cup of coffee. Then build your own experience with it and test along the way. That is what we did. Good luck!
marshamarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:43 PM   #198
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Dottie. So glad you've decided to join us! May you discover oodles of useful information here.

If you read the earlier posts in this thread, you will find where I documented my blood sugar readings at various intervals after ingesting BochaSweet. Whereas I had no spike whatsoever, YMMV, so try a small amount to start. Once you know how it will affect you, then you'll feel more confident about using it in greater concentrations.

As for aftertaste, I have not encountered any. But then, I never encountered what you describe having experienced with erythritol. Everyone's reaction to any of these alternative ingredients is so vastly different that there's just no way to determine how something might affect your body, other than through firsthand experience.

If you do decide to give it a shot, let us know how it worked for you!
Old 02-02-2018, 09:08 AM   #199
ChelePA
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ChelePA
No spikes here. Only sweetener we use. My daughter and I really like it.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 08:59 PM   #200
Dottiedog
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dottiedog
Thank you for your kind replies. I have decided to take the plunge and order some soon. I have a few more questions if you don't mind. Is there anything Bochasweet is not good for? Cat, what is your proprietary blend? Iknow it is JLS, erythritol and stevia but in what proportions and what stevia do you use? And what does YMMV stand for? THanks.
Dottiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 09:56 PM   #201
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thank you for your kind replies. I have decided to take the plunge and order some soon. I have a few more questions if you don't mind. Is there anything Bochasweet is not good for? Cat, what is your proprietary blend? Iknow it is JLS, erythritol and stevia but in what proportions and what stevia do you use? And what does YMMV stand for? THanks.
YMMV=Your Mileage May Vary

Here's the post where I give the proportions for the sweetener:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...&postcount=473

It's contained in the Official Vitafiber thread, starting on the next-to-the-last page currently. There are several posts within that thread discussing it, and you might want to read posts on the last two pages for more info.

I use SweetLeaf Organic Stevia powder. It comes in a white container with a bright green top. It has, from all the various stevia products I've tried, the least tendency for bitterness.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:52 AM   #202
Cookiefiend
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Cookiefiend
Can someone advise me on how to powder Bochasweet. Also, Do I need to add anything to it?
Cookiefiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:58 PM   #203
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

You need to powder it in a coffee grinder. Mine is electric, a Krups. I just put in about 1/3 cup BS at a time, and let it run for a minute. It will be finely powdered. If not, run it a little longer.

There's nothing added to it in order to powder it.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:13 PM   #204
cselzler
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cselzler
WOE: moderate carbs
I've read through this thread and can't find what I'm looking for. Grrr. Probably just missed it. So I'll ask. Do you need to powder the bocasweet to use in ice cream or will it dissolve enough just in the liquid? I know I saw the discussion of whether it dissolves in liquids somewhere. Must be getting old.
cselzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:59 PM   #205
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Well, Marsha, you did an immeasurable public service when you put it on our radar. I owe you a debt of gratitude. You're right. It's so darned good that it's tough to go back to other sweeteners that's just don't cut it.

English, Char is correct, as always. I powdered it for use in my chocolate bar because of my prior experience, when, having not powdered it, the chocolate bar had a decided "crunch factor" to it. And I'm not talkin' Nestle's Crunch, if you know what I mean. It was noticeable, and not in a pleasant way.

So for the second try, I did powder it. Worked out much better, but I could still detect a barely-perceptible graininess. Maybe it wouldn't bug others, but I tend to be abnormally finicky regarding texture. It's gotta perform, our it's outta there. BochaSweet seems to rely on the presence of heat in some form in order to denature from its granular form. Failing that, you must break down the crystals mechanically (i.e. powdering.)

So my recommendation would be to powder the living bejesus out of it if using BS in something that won't be heated either by means of baking, or by stirring into a hot beverage like coffee or tea. For me, most notably, that means when I make ice cream. Frosting fits that same category, as well, although I haven't tried it in that application yet. Will report when I have occasion to do so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cselzler View Post
I've read through this thread and can't find what I'm looking for. Grrr. Probably just missed it. So I'll ask. Do you need to powder the bocasweet to use in ice cream or will it dissolve enough just in the liquid? I know I saw the discussion of whether it dissolves in liquids somewhere. Must be getting old.
I quoted Cat above for you, she recommends powdering the Bochasweet for any recipe where it won't be exposed to heat, such as ice cream.

I ordered a ten pound bag yesterday. I ordered some erythritol the other week and the bags came torn open, and I took that as a sign to really start using the Bochasweet more exclusively--I'm sorry, but I just really dislike erythritol and I only use it because it is 0 calories. I also ordered my preferred xylitol brand (Ideal) from netrition recently, but again, I'm going to see how well I can manage with Bochasweet alone, and Whey Low as my primary brown sugar.

I've been on a strict calorie controlled diet where I'm basically eating the same meals daily, and my nightly dessert consists of desserts sweetened with Bochasweet, and I'm doing well.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:13 PM   #206
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

English is correct, as usual!

The answer about powdering it in ice cream depends on if you're going to heat the liquid almost to the point where it simmers, and maintain it there for a couple of minutes. If not, such as in the recipe featured in the thread "My Rich Vanilla Ice Cream" I always powder it, extra finely. Whereas a bit of heating happens in the beginning of production of the base, it's not heated sufficiently to dissolve BochaSweet completely. I know this by experience.

English, you're going to be very happy if BochaSweet is the only sweetener you use in your goodies. Please keep us posted of any new recipes you come up with!