Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 01-15-2018, 10:17 AM   #181
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT + Fast Five
Start Date: June 2012
CSelzler that is a great description. That "sweetness expectation" is true for us.
I realize sucralose is a poor sweetener of chocolate, but I often use a couple of drops to bump up the sweetness.
I do think there's a synergistic effect, too, in using a variety of sweeteners.

Cat, I've been using a variety of sweeteners for years, but finally made your proprietary blend. WOW. My entire low-carb eating family and extended family were thrilled. Thanks for that recipe. I'm still surprised by the lack of cooling effect of all that erythritol. And no bitter stevia taste.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2018, 11:33 AM   #182
judytab
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by cselzler View Post
Wonder how it would work in a daffodil cake, my fav.
What is a daffodil cake? Sounds interesting. About BS, it's interesting that you would need the extra boost with one chocolate dessert but not another. I'm always hesitant to use sucralose with chocolate because too much, or if you use only Sucralose, makes it bitter. But with this, you only need a little to make a big difference.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:33 PM   #183
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
Not sure about the recrystallizing of BS but I know that sometimes xylitol will, someone specifically mentioned a fudge sauce and that is where I've noticed xylitol will crystal. So in 1 batch, which is about 1 qt, I add in 1 T. agave syrup and crystallization doesn't happen. Maybe this would work with BS. Agave works like cornsyrup does in preventing crystallization I think, that's how it's worked for me.
JJJ'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:58 PM   #184
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
Erythritol is definitely the culprit. I have used half erythritol and half sugar in sauces just to reduce calories, and erythritol will STILL find a way to fight through and part of the sauce will recrystallize. It reminds me of honey.

The only sweetener I know of that will really keep erythritol in line and inhibit any crystals reforming is vitafiber. Something about it really neutralizes the effects of erythritol.
EnglishLit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:38 PM   #185
cselzler
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cselzler
WOE: moderate carbs
Daffodil cake is a sponge/ angel cake with both yellow and white portions you swirl together and bake in an angel cake pan. It is my most favorite cake in the world. And, I might add, a very dangerous cake to have any place near me. Can't stop at one piece.
cselzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:49 AM   #186
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/116/135 Start:size 22, now size 0.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 10 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
CSelzler that is a great description. That "sweetness expectation" is true for us.
I realize sucralose is a poor sweetener of chocolate, but I often use a couple of drops to bump up the sweetness.
I do think there's a synergistic effect, too, in using a variety of sweeteners.

Cat, I've been using a variety of sweeteners for years, but finally made your proprietary blend. WOW. My entire low-carb eating family and extended family were thrilled. Thanks for that recipe. I'm still surprised by the lack of cooling effect of all that erythritol. And no bitter stevia taste.
Judy, I'm so glad you liked it as much as we do! Thank you for letting me know how well it worked for you.

I used it in ice cream, and that's the real test. When it's in there, there is no baking to mellow it, and it is the second largest constituent, after the cream. Even so, it comes through with flying colors. So in baked goods, it's not a heavy lift.

Now, I've begun using BochaSweet. I mix it, however, half-and-half with this mix, primarily because it helps cut down on cost. The two together have undeniable synergy. The taste is perfectly sweet, and you get the ancillary benefits of using all BochaSweet, like its keeping ice cream scoopable, for example.

Of course, both BochaSweet and this blend stand quite capably on their own.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:39 PM   #187
marshamarsha
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marshamarsha
Stats: 270/170/150
WOE: low carb my way!
Start Date: 2011
BochaSweet continues to exceed my every expectation in my baked goods and cooking! I experiment with various international cuisines and cannot be more delighted with BochaSweet in its taste profile.

I ordered another 10 lbs. and was grateful for their generosity! BochaSweet has a lifetime member in me for sure!

Thank you BochaSweet for your wonderful product and kind gesture!
marshamarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:21 PM   #188
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/116/135 Start:size 22, now size 0.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 10 years.
I'm a lifer, too, Marsha!