Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Exercise Board
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump
Old 02-07-2017, 11:39 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member
Gallery: 40winks
WOE: Low Carb
Exercising with Arthritis

After years of moving less than I should - due to arthritic knees and my natural laziness - I've discovered the recumbent bicycle. I can do it without any pain! Right before Christmas, I started doing 20 minutes a day and didn't experience much benefit, so I doubled then tripled my time to 60 minutes a day, minimum. (I can't increase the resistance/intensity without knee pain, so I just ride longer.)

The first month riding an hour a day, I lost 5 inches around my hips then finally lost 5 pounds. I'm so glad I discovered what works for me!

Another benefit is that I can read while I ride, so I'm doing more reading too. Right now I'm reading Dr. Atkins' Nutrition Breakthrough, an AWESOME book.

232 / 199 / 170
Restarted January 1, 2017.
BMI dropped below 30 on July 21, 2017.
Ancient History, 2002-3: From 263 to 184 on Atkins in 18 months.
40winks is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2017, 05:38 AM   #2
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!
Gallery: Puppy love
Stats: 203/126 /126
WOE: No sugar/grains-clean eating
Start Date: October 1, 2012
I've broke my back twice. I have severe neck,back,leg pain due to a lot of issues including arthritis. I started exercising over 2 years ago daily. It has changed my life.
Puppy love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:06 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member
Gallery: Narkissos
Stats: 5'6"; 200 lbs; 10% bodyfat
WOE: Moderate carb; carb-timing
I'm very active, but developed arthritis in my hips anyway.
My doctor told me it's genetic. I'm 34. My sister is 32, and has similar issues.
Doctor told me not to change anything about my exercise regime... as there isn't much that I can change anyway.
She asked that I keep it up (despite the pain - which was a big concern for me), but aim to decrease my systemic inflammation.
So far, so good.
Narkissos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:01 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member
Gallery: Kayfager
I bought an aeropilates for my back. Wow..what a difference it has made. Just lots of stretching on it ....but it's also a full body workout without any stress on my knees. I can't say enough good about it !!!
Kayfager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 06:13 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member
Gallery: davisdanes
I have arthritis in both of my shoulders and both knees. I do not allow it to stop me from exercising, I weight train and run at least two miles daily...it hurts, there are days it hurts so much I can hardly lift my arms, but I will not allow it to stop me from exercising. I also have tendinitis of the Achilles, which has been inflamed now for about three weeks, yet, just yesterday I ran four miles! Hopefully, with all of the exercise the inflammation will decrease over time. Keep moving everybody!
davisdanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:42 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member
Gallery: Over40
Stats: 200 to 170/165
WOE: The Drinking Man's Diet
Start Date: Every other day
I have arthritis. I also have a congenital lower back and hip deformity that really was not diagnosed until 50. So, the time I spent jogging and squatting when I was younger, apparently was not the best thing. Although at 35 I did have a rather non-patient friendly MD tell me not to jog, but he never told me why. When I was 49 I was rushed into an MRI because an x-ray showed bone cance. It was the deformities, congential.

I now swim when I can drag my duff to the college pool down the road. (Non-college students can swim from 5:00 AM to 7:00 AM. When I can drag my duff out of bed at 4:30 it is usually crowded.)

Schwinn now makes a recumbent Airdyne. I have the upright, but, I think in a few year I am going to go with the recumbent version.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain

Benny Rodriguez: Smalls, Babe Ruth is the greatest baseball player that ever lived. People say he was less than a god but more than a man. You know, like Hercules or something. That ball you just aced to The Beast is worth, well, more than your whole life.
Over40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:51 PM   #7
BamaGal 71
Senior LCF Member
Gallery: BamaGal 71
Stats: Start-325 Today-225 Goal 160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Sarted Nov. 2000---Restarted New January 2008
I have had my knees replaced and over the last 25 years I have had four back surgeries, the last was just a year ago, I fell and fractured my spine in several places and had to be in a rehab center for over six weeks. The The rehab center did have me in some physical therapy but win my back I was limited to what I could do, mostly the bike. I liked that and it kept my legs from being so weak. I still ride my New Step bike , but that's all the exercise I do. Anything else bothers my back to bad.
BamaGal 71 is offline   Reply With Quote