Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 05-15-2015, 07:04 AM   #1
rosecream
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rosecream
gaining weight on low carb high fat diet

Hi All,
I hope there is someone else out there who has encountered this problem. A few years I lost 40 lbs on a lower cal intake diet. My weight from 147 to 108. I was able to maintain that weight for almost 3 years. I decided that I wanted to try a low carb diet to see how my body would react. I never lost any weight the first 2 months nor did I gain any weight. So that was all good since my goal was to find a way to eat healthily without gaining weight. My hair got thicker and my skin seemed to have more moisture in it - a good for a 55 year old woman.
Now, during the past 2 months, I have began to put on weight and I am trying to figure out the reason why. I would like for others to review what I eat and help me diagnose what it is causing the weight gain. It should also be noted that I recently starting using about 1-2 T of MCT oil about 3 weeks ago. In addition, I my keto sticks indicate that I am not in ketosis.

Following is my typical food intake for the day:
1 oz of sunflower seeds in the shell, 4 strawberries, 2-3 T of heavy cream,
1 cup of almond milk, 2T of flax seed, stevia sweetner, Eurthyirol sweetner,
2 oz of cheese, 1 hard boiled egg, 3 T Mayonaise, 4-6 cups of spinach,
1 oz of pumpkin seeds in the shell, 4 oz of chicken, beef, or sausage,
1/2 of an avacado, and a light beer (2.5 gr carb), sugar free hard candy (5 pieces.

Thoughts out there on how to tweak my food plan to get me back on track.
rosecream is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2015, 08:46 AM   #2
werkn'it
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: werkn'it
Stats: 187/125/117
WOE: Atkins and I
Start Date: 8/13 (this time around)
If you're not already, I suggest accurately tracking your carbs for a week and carefully measure your food. See how many carbs you're averaging. For my build, your food plan looks good for maintenance, but not sure that I would lose on it. Without looking it up myself, I'd say you are probably hitting over 20 carbs a day. I'm an Atkins girl, so I'm thinking in those terms.

Good luck and keep us informed.
werkn'it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:53 AM   #3
rosecream
Junior LCF Member

gaining weight on LCHF

Thanks for your suggestion. I know that everyone has a different threshold for the amount of carbs they can take in to maintain. I am wondering if I am gaining weight since my total calorie count before low carb eating plan was around 1200. I now estimate that I am now taking in around 1700 calories a day on the low carb. Could I be one of these people that does better on a low calorie diet ? I am hoping not. For once in my life I am eating real food, feeling great, and have plenty energy with 5 hours a sleep a day. However, despite all of the great things, I am gaining weight. Thus, I am not happy about that aspect of this diet and it makes me a bit apprehensive to carry on with the LCHF plan. I wondering if there is anyone else out there who had to abandon the LCHF because of weight gain?
Old 05-15-2015, 11:11 AM   #4
Nady
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Nady
You're 55? age/menopause. Your body is slowing down and your calorie needs are less~ this is one reality I fought (and lost) for the last 10 years~ now, at 65 I'm heavier than I am willing to accept so I need to watch both carbs and calories. So not fair
Nady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:14 PM   #5
NewOldLC
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: NewOldLC
Stats: 235/158.8/165 Goal met Jan 9 2016. New goal 145!
WOE: Atkins DANDR
Start Date: January 12, 2015
I'm in my 50s too and we definitely need to watch calories too

I'd also suggest ditching all the nuts and seed stuff and the artificial sweeteners and candy. You'd be better off getting your carbs from loads of healthy veggies and it would allow you to eat more and take in fewer carbs.

I wish you all the best figuring this out...it's sometimes a bit tricky to learn the idiosyncrasies of our own bodies
NewOldLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:17 PM   #6
NewOldLC
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: NewOldLC
Stats: 235/158.8/165 Goal met Jan 9 2016. New goal 145!
WOE: Atkins DANDR
Start Date: January 12, 2015
One other thought...if you've been doing low fat/ low cal for a long time you've trained your metabolism to be in constant starvation mode...it's going to take some time, and strict induction phase eating, to retrain it.
NewOldLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 01:53 PM   #7
cfine
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 280/207
WOE: eating from the animal kingdom
Start Date: April 2012
A high fat/higher calorie diet needs to be pared with very low carb from my experience. Also moderate protein. As little as you are I would bet that you shouldn't be eating more than 50 grams per day. If you want to be able to eat more carbs, like what you are eating now, you need to lower your fat intake.

Dieting is hard;being fat is hard; choose your hard.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 02:58 PM   #8
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
rosecream-

I'm a little confused about when you were eating 1200 cal--was it to lose those 40 lbs or while maintaining? I ask because either way, IMO, your issue is calories. Low carb doesn't negate the fact that we don't lose without a caloric deficit. At your size, I suspect that 1700 cal is above your maintenance level--which is why you're gaining.

While everyone emphasizes 'high fat,' Dr. Phinney advises those who are not losing to reduce fat intake:

"...of course, if one eats too much fat during that low-carb diet, you're not going to lose weight; there are differences in metabolism, but calories count in the process of eating a low-carb diet."
-Steve Phinney
August 25, 2012, Ask the Low Carb Experts Podcast

Whatever plan you follow, you must create a caloric deficit in order to lose weight.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:35 PM   #9
Dirty Harriet
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/211/199@ 5'7" (-214)
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day (total) + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nady View Post
You're 55? age/menopause. Your body is slowing down and your calorie needs are less~ this is one reality I fought (and lost) for the last 10 years~ now, at 65 I'm heavier than I am willing to accept so I need to watch both carbs and calories. So not fair
Same here, at age 56!
Old 05-16-2015, 01:14 PM   #10
rosecream
Junior LCF Member

Thanks to all your suggestions. Some other factors that can be considered
Past menopause for over 15 years (early menopause due to anorexia)
For past 3 years eating a low fat diet of 1200 calories a day
Exercise for 6 hours on Sunday: Mountain Climbing

In the end I think that I will need to succumb to eating 1200 calories rather it be high or low fat. I was hoping with a low carb diet that I could increase my calorie intake so that I would not feel like I am in starvation mode. Of course there is always excepting a higher weight. But, I do not think anybody feels good about weight gain under any circumstances. It feels like life is out of control and of course just feeling plain fat is never a feel good moment. Ok, I vented enough.

I do have another question. Is there anyone out there who is at their goal weight that uses an egg fast to keep weight in check? Please tell me about your diet when on an egg fast. Does it include bulletproof coffee, cheese, coconut oil, and of course eggs. thinking about doing this. But, not sure if the cheese is allowable.
Old 05-16-2015, 03:48 PM   #11
LindaM
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LindaM
Stats: 182/164/130
WOE: lower carb watch calories
Start Date: 05/05/2015
I am 59 I only east about 1000 calories a day when I want to lose. And if I am really slowing I will eat 800 or 900 for a couple days. Making sure I don't eat after 6. I can't eat artificial sweeteners. On the calculator is says I should stay at 1300 to lose 1 pound a week. I did that and pretty much it was getting me close to almost 1 pound a week. I am 172 right now. I sit all day pretty much except for house work. I have a problem with my balance so can't do much exercise. I trac all I eat on a food tracker to see what is going on and help me know what is working. I lost 30 eating low carb and then had problems with constipation that I ended up in the ER. And with spasm in my bowels. So got off lc until that was over. This time I am making sure I get more fiber. And watching out to prevent it again. I keep carbs between 50 to 80. I haven't been able to stay at 20 like I should for Atkins.
LindaM is offline   Reply With Quote