Old 04-29-2015, 11:15 AM   #1
20by40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 20by40
Stats: 191/145/aimingfor130 (5ft1)
WOE: AS Atkins (NAFTNY), Now Macro Based
Start Date: April, 2015
If I go in for a UTI, and the Doctor detects Ketones

Is that a bad thing? Pretty sure I have an UTI, and am also in ketosis. Just wondering if I need to tell him up front that he will see ketones in the test? or if they really don't care about those . . .
20by40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2015, 12:03 PM   #2
SweetMe678
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetMe678
Stats: 377/356/135
WOE: HFLC/fasting
My mom's had a couple uti's while in ketosis. None of her docs have ever said anything.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:33 PM   #3
CherylB
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Stats: 2XL
WOE: IF
Start Date: March 25, 2018
Just tell him you're doing a ketogenic diet. Otherwise they will find ketones alarming.

I'm CherylB on LC Neighborhood; the new forum that Bonnie started. Come join so you can see it!

Find a way to be at peace with who you are.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You just have to decide that what you have
is all you really need.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CherylB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 02:44 PM   #4
Tazcat
Carby Cat

Gallery: Tazcat
No, if they ask tell them you are LC dieting.
Sorry, I have been plagued with UTIs and they are awful. Get in and get seen.

I will say that since I started taking Cranberry twice a day, it's helped me a lot. I take the pills as a preventive.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:10 PM   #5
JennyP
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JennyP
Stats: 306/293/150
WOE: NK
Start Date: March 2013
Ugh. I'm having this right now, too, and I actually used a dipstick at work today to see if I needed to go to Urgent Care. (one of the benefits of being a nurse, lol) Proud to say that my ketones were DARK purple. I've been wondering, actually. I don't do any of the monitoring, just follow approximate macros, so to see evidence of it was cool. Not so cool was the leukocytes, blood, and too high pH. Thank goodness for antibiotics that still work.

So I was reading somewhere about taking relatively high doses of Vitamin C daily to keep the urine acidic to prevent recurrent UTIs. Makes sense to me, as it is water-soluble like B vitamins, and whatever your body doesn't use gets flushed. Anyone heard of this?
JennyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:50 PM   #6
flappa1016
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: flappa1016
Stats: 320/245/150
WOE: Started on Atkins; transitioned to Primal
Start Date: September 2010
My doctor does a urinalysis any time I go in for a physical. The first year I was on a LCHF diet, she questioned the fact that there were ketones in my urine. When I explained I was following a LC diet, she just made a note in my chart and never brought it up again.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:58 PM   #7
20by40
Senior LCF Member

Ok - thank you!! I didn't go in . . . yet. I have a feeling I am going to regret that come the middle of the night!
I did go buy cranberry pills and took one, and I know I have some old and probably expired pee numbing pills in my bathroom cabinet.
I do work at the hospital tomorrow, so if it is bad in the morning, at least I am there!
I also have a full prescription in my cupboard of Cefalexin (Kfex) from a year ago (was prescribed it and took one, then ended up in the hospital for 17 days with a critical infection and a PICC line for 7 weeks - so diff antibiotics.
I am so tempted to just take them . . .
Old 04-29-2015, 08:21 PM   #8
NewOldLC
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: NewOldLC
Stats: 235/158.8/165 Goal met Jan 9 2016. New goal 145!
WOE: Atkins DANDR
Start Date: January 12, 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20by40 View Post
Ok - thank you!! I didn't go in . . . yet. I have a feeling I am going to regret that come the middle of the night!
I did go buy cranberry pills and took one, and I know I have some old and probably expired pee numbing pills in my bathroom cabinet.
I do work at the hospital tomorrow, so if it is bad in the morning, at least I am there!
I also have a full prescription in my cupboard of Cefalexin (Kfex) from a year ago (was prescribed it and took one, then ended up in the hospital for 17 days with a critical infection and a PICC line for 7 weeks - so diff antibiotics.
I'm a microbiologist and I must say taking antibiotics indiscriminately like this would be a very bad idea since without proper culture you have no idea if the bacteria you have is sensitive to this particular drug. To be honest, this kind of thing has been a major contributor to the huge problem we now have with multiresistant organisms. Please see a physician ASAP as UTI will not go away on its own and will eventually become an ascending infection. Your doctor may still treat you empirically but it will at least be an educated guess. I hope you feel better soon as I know how uncomfortable you must be feeling.
NewOldLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:39 PM   #9
Faia
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Faia
WOE: LC/Avoid Frankenfoods
Start Date: March 2009
You can also use cranberry juice, I like to drink it but it is becoming harder to find pure. Most common is the "juice cocktail" which is a percentage of juice commonly in the low 20s, padded with sugar (and too often HFCS) water. Next is the 100% juice with no added sugar, but it is commonly a blend of juices, often with sugar content higher than the "labeled" flavor, apple is common for that trick. Finally you can eventually find 100% single juices, but expect to pay big for them. We used to get gallons of cranberry juice in glass bottles for less than current half-gallons (or smaller).
Faia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:54 PM   #10
Dirty Harriet
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/216/199@ 5'7" (-209)
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day (total) + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
Quote:
I tried something that I think was an old wives tale: 1 Tb baking soda in 10 oz of water. I had relief from bladder spasms in about 30-45 minutes. Just a thought in case you wake up in the middle of the night!
Old 04-29-2015, 08:57 PM   #11
20by40
Senior LCF Member

Faia, I once went in search of "low carb" pure cranberry juice for a client at the homeless shelter I volunteer at (it happened to be at midnight on Black Friday, too! Of all the times! She needed some emergency constipation relief items, as well, so off I went) - anyway, it didn't happen. Walmart had nothing pure or low sugar. At least not that night.

On induction, I reckon (lol) I better just stick with pills! :-)
Old 04-29-2015, 08:59 PM   #12
20by40
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harriet View Post
I tried something that I think was an old wives tale: 1 Tb baking soda in 10 oz of water. I had relief from bladder spasms in about 30-45 minutes. Just a thought in case you wake up in the middle of the night!
Thank you! I happen to have both water and baking soda in my bathroom! Rock on.

BTW, your precious Franky kitty looks so incredibly much like my Huckleberry kitty. Huck's orange spots are darker - but the hair length, fluff, hairy little feet, and face are the same!
Old 04-29-2015, 09:09 PM   #13
Dirty Harriet
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/216/199@ 5'7" (-209)
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day (total) + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
Quote:
Thank you! I happen to have both water and baking soda in my bathroom! Rock on.

BTW, your precious Franky kitty looks so incredibly much like my Huckleberry kitty. Huck's orange spots are darker - but the hair length, fluff, hairy little feet, and face are the same!
You're welcome!

Huckleberry sounds like a lap kitty....oh I will bet he is a sweetie......
Old 04-29-2015, 09:59 PM   #14
susieqrn
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susieqrn
Stats: 230/224.6/130
WOE: moderate low carb/JUDD
Start Date: February 2018
Don't forget to drink lots of water!
susieqrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:39 AM   #15
Faia
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Faia
WOE: LC/Avoid Frankenfoods
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Faia, I once went in search of "low carb" pure cranberry juice for a client at the homeless shelter I volunteer at (it happened to be at midnight on Black Friday, too! Of all the times! She needed some emergency constipation relief items, as well, so off I went) - anyway, it didn't happen. Walmart had nothing pure or low sugar. At least not that night.

On induction, I reckon (lol) I better just stick with pills! :-)
Juice in general is fairly high in sugar, not sure how pure cranberry would fall in that considering how tart it is. I have found that the juice cocktails at Aldi's are more likely to have actual sugar. Several name brands at other stores have HFCS.
Faia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:17 AM   #16
theatremom
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: theatremom
Stats: 202/165/150/???
WOE: low carb, kinda Atkins-ish
I think you need to see your doctor, but I'm going to throw this out there as a means of temporary relief:

Sit on a heating pad turned to its lowest setting. I've done this at bedtime more than once, and it helps stop the bladder cramping that would keep me awake half the night. It's not much, but it might help you get through the days until you can see your doctor.

Do also keep in mind that an untreated UTI can quickly progress to a kidney infection; something I know from painful personal experience. So get a culture and get some antibiotics asap.

Hope you feel better soon.
theatremom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:12 PM   #17
20by40
Senior LCF Member

I swore it was an UTI, except I was NOT having bladder spasms. But I had incredible vulvar pain/burning and trouble peeing.

Apparently it was the weirdest yeast infection ever. Not an UTI. So I guess that is good!
Old 05-05-2015, 02:08 AM   #18
CurvyAFGirl
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CurvyAFGirl
Stats: 178/170/145 (first goal) 5'2
WOE: No sugar, no grain
Start Date: Every day I'm shufflin'!
Check into D-mannose pills or powder. I have only had 1 UTI that it didn't take care of.
Mine were so bad for years, but I had urethral sling surgery last year, and I've been extremely pleased with the results! Only 1 UTI since then, and that was last week.