Old 04-18-2015, 03:22 PM   #1
TypeONegative
Destination Onederland

Gallery: TypeONegative
Stats: Highest weight 370/Summer2014=317/217/199
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart 3-24-15 @ 299.2
I want better numbers!

Ok so I am almost at one month on the wagon without cheating. I'd estimate my carbs are well below 20 a day and I am on insulin but have been able to cut back my Novolog to around 5 units per meal versus 30 units and I'm still on 20 units of Lantus at night. (Tried cutting down to 10, but back up at 20).
Back in 2007 when I did this my sugars normalized and I wasn't on insulin at the time. Before I started this on March 24th, my sugar was just completely out of control. Even with the insulin I was having fasting sugars in the high 200's and was going up to high 300's and then would have severe lows (40's).
Now my blood sugar is A LOT better than what it has been for years, but I'm not satisfied and am wondering if losing weight is going to help or if I'm going to need more insulin. I have been cutting back so drastically on the Novolog because I hate the thought of having to correct a low with sugar.
My fasting sugar is usually in the 140's and random checks during the day sometimes as low was 110 or so and after meals (I don't peak until around 5 hours, always been that way for me) I sometimes see 160's.
What I want is to be under 100 fasting and as close to 100 or under as I can get at all other times.
I have been told I'm a brittle diabetic and I'm type 1.5 which makes it confusing. I went to my PCP on Wednesday and I told her what my readings are and she was like they are FINE don't worry and she was super happy when my A1C came back 7.3, which is a big improvement but it's only reflecting 3 weeks of low carb out of the last 3 months for A1C so I'm looking forward to going back in July and having my A1C checked again so it will reflect being on the wagon.
I guess what I'm saying is, my Dr. says my numbers are fine and for years I went with my sugar going as high as the 500's and now I'm being very picky and I want them down further. Not fasting 140's and not around 140's to 160 during the day. I'm doing all I can diet wise and I'm limited on exercise due to physical issues. Just want to get tight control eventually.
I do correct with Novolog when I wake up sometimes and the ODD thing is that before I started low carb, the correction would always take me down and now sometimes when I correct my fasting sugar it does NOTHING or actually goes UP a little. I'm so confused.
I'm in a relationship with low carb and we are NOT breaking up this time!
Member of the 30 weeks til 2016 challenge!
8 months on the wagon completed 11-24-15
TypeONegative is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2015, 04:00 PM   #2
TypeONegative
Destination Onederland

Something that confuses me is after your stored glycogen is gone why is blood sugar high sometimes? I guess the liver makes sugar from dietary protein and muscle breakdown? But I can understand if it made enough to keep you from having a low, but my body seems to like to keep me in the 140's to 160's even when I don't eat anything, or if I eat low carb. I'm wondering if I'll be on insulin the rest of my life. Sorry for my rambling, I'm just sick of diabetes. It was so great years ago when it went normal just from doing low carb. And I hate having to worry about injecting too much insulin so I'm probably not on enough to keep me at lower numbers.
Anytime I've seen one of those diabetic counselor people they said I need carbs and to inject insulin to cover them and I said but I do better on low carb and they said it's not sustainable for the long term. Dr. I had early 2014 wanted me to eat carbs, inject high doses of insulin and my cholesterol was a lil elevated and she prescribed Lipitor which I never took. I told her if I went on low carb my cholesterol would be normal and she said, this is how they treat diabetics, insulin, pills and statins for cholesterol. She also said low carb is not sustainable. They'd rather prescribe meds then suggest low carb.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:12 AM   #3
Dirty Harriet
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/214/199@ 5'7" (-211)
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day (total) + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
No 'diet' has a sustainable way to eat, per the medical community; thus the reason for a way of life.....a lifestyle, if you will.
Even those of us who used surgical means of weight loss, still have a low carb lifestyle, or we gain weight.
My diabetes is long gone (A1C 4.9) with the low carb living....and I was informed that the cells in the pancreas responsible for insulin, do regenerate once demand for insulin is low.
Diabetes is such a COMPLICATED disease....you become your own physician injecting the appropriate insulin dosage for your needs.....then the liver in adult onset diabetes, acts up, giving you high readings in the morning. Metformin controlled this for me, but it doesn't work for everyone.
ADA guidelines now like the A1C at 6.5% or less. You're doing really well, as you are close to this.
Congrats to you in your accomplishments already....you're managing diabetes well!! What info I took away from one of my diabetic classes, was : 'what works today, may not work tomorrow.' So true, as the diabetic state is ever changing!

Last edited by Dirty Harriet; 04-19-2015 at 10:15 AM..
Dirty Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:23 AM   #4
TypeONegative
Destination Onederland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harriet View Post
No 'diet' has a sustainable way to eat, per the medical community; thus the reason for a way of life.....a lifestyle, if you will.
Even those of us who used surgical means of weight loss, still have a low carb lifestyle, or we gain weight.
My diabetes is long gone (A1C 4.9) with the low carb living....and I was informed that the cells in the pancreas responsible for insulin, do regenerate once demand for insulin is low.
Diabetes is such a COMPLICATED disease....you become your own physician injecting the appropriate insulin dosage for your needs.....then the liver in adult onset diabetes, acts up, giving you high readings in the morning. Metformin controlled this for me, but it doesn't work for everyone.
ADA guidelines now like the A1C at 6.5% or less. You're doing really well, as you are close to this.
Congrats to you in your accomplishments already....you're managing diabetes well!! What info I took away from one of my diabetic classes, was : 'what works today, may not work tomorrow.' So true, as the diabetic state is ever changing!
Thank you Harriet for the reply. I hope once I reach my goal of 199 I can have totally normal blood sugar. I am just going to keep on keeping on!
Old 04-19-2015, 01:16 PM   #5
Dirty Harriet
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/214/199@ 5'7" (-211)
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day (total) + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeONegative View Post
Thank you Harriet for the reply. I hope once I reach my goal of 199 I can have totally normal blood sugar. I am just going to keep on keeping on!
And think of this: at 199, you will need and use less insulin, if at all! if you did nothing, it would likely be worse. You're already ahead of the game!!
Old 04-19-2015, 04:50 PM   #6
cfine
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 280/207
WOE: eating from the animal kingdom
Start Date: April 2012
Google the Dawn Phenonenom. It explains why our BS can rise at night.

Dieting is hard;being fat is hard; choose your hard.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 03:20 PM   #7
helenback
FLUFF'S FAVORITE BUBBE!!!

Location: What am I doing in this basket and why is it so warm in here????
Gallery: helenback
First, be very proud of yourself, for making the strides you have!

I do suggest doing some research the "Dawn Phenomenon". My highest b.s. is my f.b.s. nearly every time.

May I ask, have you considered lowering your carbs below 40 carbs?

The diabetic nutrition peeps no poop from apple butter about how to manage diabetes, in my humble opinion. The only medical person that I trust when it comes to diabetes is Dr. Bernstein. I have no doubt reading his book immediately after diagnosis is the best thing I did.

You truly have to teach yourself, because the ADA and medical profession are on a completely different path than what I think they should be. My cousin was recently diagnosed and they told him to eat 75 carbs per meal and 35 @ 2 snacks a day!!!!!! No one on the planet should eat that many carbs!! I don't know wth they are thinking!! I do have opinions on what they are thinking, lol!

Good luck on your journey!

I can be powerful or I can be pitiful! I choose powerful!
helenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 03:41 PM   #8
TypeONegative
Destination Onederland

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenback View Post
First, be very proud of yourself, for making the strides you have!

I do suggest doing some research the "Dawn Phenomenon". My highest b.s. is my f.b.s. nearly every time.

May I ask, have you considered lowering your carbs below 40 carbs?

The diabetic nutrition peeps no poop from apple butter about how to manage diabetes, in my humble opinion. The only medical person that I trust when it comes to diabetes is Dr. Bernstein. I have no doubt reading his book immediately after diagnosis is the best thing I did.

You truly have to teach yourself, because the ADA and medical profession are on a completely different path than what I think they should be. My cousin was recently diagnosed and they told him to eat 75 carbs per meal and 35 @ 2 snacks a day!!!!!! No one on the planet should eat that many carbs!! I don't know wth they are thinking!! I do have opinions on what they are thinking, lol!

Good luck on your journey!
I average about 10 grams of carbs a day. 15-20 tops. I have researched the Dawn Pheno many years ago when I was first diagnosed. Guess I should read up on it again.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:37 PM   #9
pickelq
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pickelq
Stats: 241/218/175
WOE: moderate low carb
Start Date: March, 2015
I find it funny how differently diabetes is approached.. I'm a nurse and I see how docs and nutritionists treat especially type 2 in the hospital setting, and it seems very counterintuitive. When I had gestational DM, however, the goal was very strict glucose control (because it affects the baby), and their instructions were to go very low carb--basically eat to your meter--and exercise multiple times per day after eating. I mean, I guess it does make sense, since many people with diabetes do not control their diets well, that they would say low-carb is not sustainable in most cases. But you'd think the effort you are making should be a consideration in their treatment plan. It doesn't seem to be the case. That type of approach to health is really, really frustrating.
pickelq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 06:32 PM   #10
susieqrn
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susieqrn
Stats: 230/224.6/130
WOE: moderate low carb/JUDD
Start Date: February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickelq View Post
I find it funny how differently diabetes is approached.. I'm a nurse and I see how docs and nutritionists treat especially type 2 in the hospital setting, and it seems very counterintuitive. When I had gestational DM, however, the goal was very strict glucose control (because it affects the baby), and their instructions were to go very low carb--basically eat to your meter--and exercise multiple times per day after eating. I mean, I guess it does make sense, since many people with diabetes do not control their diets well, that they would say low-carb is not sustainable in most cases. But you'd think the effort you are making should be a consideration in their treatment plan. It doesn't seem to be the case. That type of approach to health is really, really frustrating.
I too am a nurse with pre diabetes. I dodged the actual diabetes diagnosis when I lowered my carbs and did some exercise. Got my FBS from 134 to 95 and A1C is 5.7. I know hormones play a large part in the nighttime blood sugars, resulting in a higher morning FBS. Mine fluctuates between 87 and 117. It's so irritating when you are sticking to your diet! (ahemm...lifestyle)
Do you think I should lower my total carbs per day? My random and PP blood sugars have never gone above 140 since lowering carbs (except one time it was randomly 180). I tend to spike at 1 hour.
Any thoughts or advice? I'm a nurse, but work in neonatal, so I really am not up on my diabetes knowledge as you might.
susieqrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:29 AM   #11
TypeONegative
Destination Onederland

A lil unplanned experiment yesterday. I ended up only eating 2 sausage patties with a lil sugar free ketchup and some iced coffee with liquid sucralose and HWC. Had some personal matters to attend to and didn't end up eating ANYTHING else all day or night. My sugar was in the 90's yesterday evening and still is this morning. I did a 20 unit Lantus shot before bed last night. I will say I notice that when I don't eat AT ALL, my sugar becomes normal (not talking about the fast that happens when you're sleeping). I mean nothing, not even low carb food. I found the answer to solve diabetes! Don't eat! LOL just kidding, but I wish I could stay in the 90's even after eating SO low carb...What to do....I think I might have to seriously count my calories in addition to lowering carbs to almost nothing because I think calories are making my blood sugar go up no matter what form they are in, carbs, fat or protein. I noticed when I wasn't on low carb I could have a lower number no matter what I ate as long as it was VERY small amounts which for me isn't very sustainable at all. UGGH!
Old 04-22-2015, 07:56 AM   #12
TypeONegative
Destination Onederland

Hmm, thinking about the last month on plan calorie wise I had some days under 1000 and I'd say I averaged out around 1000-1500 daily, possibly a few days around 1800, but more towards 1000 and I can't just starve myself (under 1000 calories) to have low sugar because then my body will eat my muscle. I guess the answer is just finding the right amount of insulin to cover the amount of protein/calories I need to stay healthy.

Last edited by TypeONegative; 04-22-2015 at 07:57 AM..
Old 04-22-2015, 03:25 PM   #13
pickelq
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susieqrn View Post
I too am a nurse with pre diabetes. I dodged the actual diabetes diagnosis when I lowered my carbs and did some exercise. Got my FBS from 134 to 95 and A1C is 5.7. I know hormones play a large part in the nighttime blood sugars, resulting in a higher morning FBS. Mine fluctuates between 87 and 117. It's so irritating when you are sticking to your diet! (ahemm...lifestyle)
Do you think I should lower my total carbs per day? My random and PP blood sugars have never gone above 140 since lowering carbs (except one time it was randomly 180). I tend to spike at 1 hour.
Any thoughts or advice? I'm a nurse, but work in neonatal, so I really am not up on my diabetes knowledge as you might.
I'm certainly no expert, but I can only give you what I know from my own experience. The way my OB explained it, your FBG and Somogyi/dawn phenomenon are issues with your liver and according to him have little or nothing to do with what you are eating. That is to say, your body should be able to regulate overnight and if it isn't doing it properly, your liver is to blame. I cannot verify this, but knowing my prefession, he never really skipped over anything with me so I tend to buy it. My guess, since insulin resistance can cause delayed hypoglycemia, you may want to consider that being the cause. They told me the best way to combat the insulin resistance is to do some light exercise for 10-15 minutes after meals. It made a pretty big difference for me while I was pregnant (like 10-15 pts). They told me right after meals was the best time, because it not only dropped the readings 1-2h PP but also would continue to make the muscles more insulin sensitive. As an alternative, we typically give diabetic adults a small snack in the hospital.. though if you are having BG issues, I'd recommend something more sustaining than the things we gave, like crackers and milk or pudding cups (seriously??--yeah, counter intuitive).

TypeONegative, please forgive me if you already know all this, but lantus (a basal insulin) basically helps you to maintain your baseline BG. If you didn't eat all day and that baseline was around 90, which is the higher end of what is considered normal, you may want to consider asking your doctor if more lantus would be appropriate. But, depending on how much insulin resistance vs insulin production is the issue, insulin may not be the major issue. If you are insulin resistant, adding more insulin is not treating the issue. Also, the liver can be a real jerk. In many type 2 cases, the liver and the pancreas are at war with each other, and the liver doesn't even know it. Without intervention the liver beats the pancreas at the overall body's expense.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:21 PM   #14
TypeONegative
Destination Onederland

Quote:
TypeONegative, please forgive me if you already know all this, but lantus (a basal insulin) basically helps you to maintain your baseline BG. If you didn't eat all day and that baseline was around 90, which is the higher end of what is considered normal, you may want to consider asking your doctor if more lantus would be appropriate. But, depending on how much insulin resistance vs insulin production is the issue, insulin may not be the major issue. If you are insulin resistant, adding more insulin is not treating the issue. Also, the liver can be a real jerk. In many type 2 cases, the liver and the pancreas are at war with each other, and the liver doesn't even know it. Without intervention the liver beats the pancreas at the overall body's expense.
I was diagnosed full blown diabetic in early 2001, I was prediabetic in 1999. Up until a few months ago I was told I was type 2, then a new Dr. I had before I moved where I am now tested me for antibodies and she was the first one to tell me I had late onset type 1. She said type 2's do not test positive for these antibodies and that I have type 1.5 but she said my pancreas is still producing normal amounts of insulin so she was confused she said. I was confused too because since I was on Lantus & Novalog when I got tested I wondered if the test indeed showed how much insulin I was actually producing versus injecting. I know before I was diabetic I had very high insulin levels from a blood test a long time ago.
So now I know I have type 1.5 which I am trying to educate myself on. Apparently it's an autoimmune form of diabetes like type 1 and I'm not sure how burnt out my pancreas is since that Dr. told me it's still producing a normal amount of insulin.
Metformin did nothing for me except give me severe stomach issues for the years I was on it, nor did any oral meds I was ever on, (Actos, Avandia), the only thing that has brought my sugar down is insulin and eating less carbs or less food period. Years ago my sugar normalized on low carb alone but this time around without insulin I run way too high. It's confusing and frustrating and my current Dr. said to keep on the insulin because lower sugar means weight loss but I thought that was a weird thing to say because when I started insulin I gained 40 lbs because I kept eating the same and the insulin brought my sugar way down (but I guess I wasn't urinating out all those sugar calories)? When my sugar ran very high I ate whatever, and didn't gain any weight for a few years til I started insulin.
I probably sound uneducated about diabetes, I've read A LOT about it during the last 15 years, but now that I know I'm type 1.5 I'm not really sure what is going on. Dr.'s don't seem to know much about it compared to type 1 and type 2. I asked the Dr. I have now what type 1.5 means and she said it means that I will be able to get off insulin once I lose weight and I was thinking HUH, that sounds like type 2! From what I've read type 1.5 means the pancreas will burn itself out and I'll end up completely insulin dependent at some point.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:37 AM   #15
pickelq
Junior LCF Member

I'll apologize in advance, this got a little long, and I hope it is helpful rather than more confusing.

C-peptide is basically a by-product of your body's insulin production, so injected insulin should not interfere with the readings. I can see why you'd be frustrated, it sounds like you're getting a lot of conflicting info. It is my understanding is that 1.5 basically IS type 1, but late onset, and has a tendency not to progress as quickly as juvenile onset. That said, it would eventually end in insulin dependence. As for your recent tests, if you had previous results with high insulin values, normal insulin values now might *actually* indicate some cell destruction. This is just a guess and I do not know for certain, you'd want to discuss that with your doc. And.. I am not trying to contradict said doc, but i'm not so sure about insulin = weight loss, since insulin is a growth hormone and known to make people gain weight.. but.. i may not have the whole context. anyway, if you were previously dumping the glucose via your kidneys, insulin is probably best to prevent kidney damage, even if it means weight gain. Weight gain sucks but the alternative seems pretty unpleasant.

There definitely seems to be a lot of confusion about the pathology of type 1.5. And it is complicated, especially if type 2 hallmarks are there also. But ultimately the treatments are the same.. medication, diet, exercise. You do not sound uneducated to me, on the contrary, you seem to have done a lot of research. But diabetes is a very individual diagnosis, with lots of facets, and most treatment is based off of educated guesses. You just can't perfectly measure insulin uptake, the glycemic index can't perfectly predict how any given food will affect a person's glucose, and there's no way to perfectly predict how much exercise will affect glucose readings, or how well an oral antidiabetic will work for someone. Then add in the fact that cortisol, the thyroid, and other hormones are also affecting glucose metabolism, all under the radar. The numbers can only tell you so much. Unfortunately, since 1.5 is autoimmune, your values will likely continue to change, despite your best efforts to stay on track, and what worked weeks/months/years ago may not work today. My OB had to pat me on the shoulder and say, "This isn't because you weren't trying hard enough. You can only control so much." It put it into perspective for me in a good way. Hang in there. You are obviously being proactive. Keep up the good work!!!!!!!!
Old 04-23-2015, 07:19 AM   #16
TypeONegative
Destination Onederland

Quote:
I'll apologize in advance, this got a little long, and I hope it is helpful rather than more confusing.

C-peptide is basically a by-product of your body's insulin production, so injected insulin should not interfere with the readings. I can see why you'd be frustrated, it sounds like you're getting a lot of conflicting info. It is my understanding is that 1.5 basically IS type 1, but late onset, and has a tendency not to progress as quickly as juvenile onset. That said, it would eventually end in insulin dependence. As for your recent tests, if you had previous results with high insulin values, normal insulin values now might *actually* indicate some cell destruction. This is just a guess and I do not know for certain, you'd want to discuss that with your doc. And.. I am not trying to contradict said doc, but i'm not so sure about insulin = weight loss, since insulin is a growth hormone and known to make people gain weight.. but.. i may not have the whole context. anyway, if you were previously dumping the glucose via your kidneys, insulin is probably best to prevent kidney damage, even if it means weight gain. Weight gain sucks but the alternative seems pretty unpleasant.

There definitely seems to be a lot of confusion about the pathology of type 1.5. And it is complicated, especially if type 2 hallmarks are there also. But ultimately the treatments are the same.. medication, diet, exercise. You do not sound uneducated to me, on the contrary, you seem to have done a lot of research. But diabetes is a very individual diagnosis, with lots of facets, and most treatment is based off of educated guesses. You just can't perfectly measure insulin uptake, the glycemic index can't perfectly predict how any given food will affect a person's glucose, and there's no way to perfectly predict how much exercise will affect glucose readings, or how well an oral antidiabetic will work for someone. Then add in the fact that cortisol, the thyroid, and other hormones are also affecting glucose metabolism, all under the radar. The numbers can only tell you so much. Unfortunately, since 1.5 is autoimmune, your values will likely continue to change, despite your best efforts to stay on track, and what worked weeks/months/years ago may not work today. My OB had to pat me on the shoulder and say, "This isn't because you weren't trying hard enough. You can only control so much." It put it into perspective for me in a good way. Hang in there. You are obviously being proactive. Keep up the good work!!!!!!!!
Thank you pickel for all of the information. It really is helpful!
Old 04-23-2015, 09:15 AM   #17
SweetMe678
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetMe678
Stats: 377/356/135
WOE: HFLC/fasting
Have you read Dr. Bernstein's book? There was a lot of info in it. My hubby is type 1, and this book was how I convinced him a few years ago to try lc. I ask because I remember Dr Bernstein being pretty specific about insulin and blood sugar control, which you might find useful.
I also recall Atkins writing on how it can take some time for a significantly disturbed metabolism to adjust and heal. For the hubs, it was about 6 months until he had a stable insulin regimen, although he is on a pump. So it took both of us plus his endocrinologist (who thankfully supported lc) to get his settings correct to avoid the low bs.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:33 PM   #18
susieqrn
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susieqrn
Stats: 230/224.6/130
WOE: moderate low carb/JUDD
Start Date: February 2018
Thanks for the info pickelq. I have been given a lot of conflicting advice as far as the nighttime snack - whether to have a snack at all, how many carbs or no carbs. It's so confusing! I think I will definitely try the exercise after meals. I could easily go for a 10-15 minute walk, even at work.
I do like a snack in the evening with tea - usually 2 LC cookies or a couple of multigrain crackers with pepperoni and cheese.
susieqrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:51 PM   #19
TypeONegative
Destination Onederland

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMe678 View Post
Have you read Dr. Bernstein's book? There was a lot of info in it. My hubby is type 1, and this book was how I convinced him a few years ago to try lc. I ask because I remember Dr Bernstein being pretty specific about insulin and blood sugar control, which you might find useful.
I also recall Atkins writing on how it can take some time for a significantly disturbed metabolism to adjust and heal. For the hubs, it was about 6 months until he had a stable insulin regimen, although he is on a pump. So it took both of us plus his endocrinologist (who thankfully supported lc) to get his settings correct to avoid the low bs.
I read Bernstein's book many years ago. I should probably read it again. I think Bernstein mentioned some diabetic complications actually reversing themselves, which is something to hope for, and I'm sure Atkins was right about it taking time to adjust & heal. My numbers are much lower this week and I'm very happy about that. My hormones make my sugar go up so much during PMS and TOM and that's over with for this month thank goodness!
Old 04-28-2015, 09:17 AM   #20
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
I'm only on metformin but "not eating", seems to always raise my bg. Was explained to me that the liver (I think) will throw glucose to your system if it detects you haven't eaten. I too have high morning # and I have found if I eat some fat and protein, it comes down. But so very hard for me to eat when I get up.

People on this board are lc'ing but I tend to think that the majority of the diabetic population just wants to have their cake and eat it too. I see diabetics all around me who say, oh I'll eat this and just take more med. My endo told me that of all the diabetics that she treats, I'm only 1 of about 5 who are actually lc'ing as a way of life to control their diabetes. She said that people don't want to give up the carbs, therefore she has to throw the meds at'em. So no wonder the med. community as a whole aren't hollering "low carb", patients don't want it. And heaven forbid that we ask a diabetic to cook their foods at home, can't be bothered w/ that. I tell'em all the time you can have your cake and eat it too. Terrific ways to bake lc sweets, just have to get used to different , more expensive ingredients. And although I've taken in some terrific sweet treats to church dinners to prove my point where everyone raves over them, no one will take the time to make them for themselves. They had just rather take the meds. Lol, and when I go thru the food line picking up protein and fats, their agast. Just puzzles me why when you show, tell and bake lc for all to see and taste, it comes down to they just
"don't want to change their ways".
JJJ'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:35 AM   #21
haferchamp
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: haferchamp
Start Date: 12/15/12

I too run across this way of thinkng all the time. It's kind of like "preaching to the choir" and after awhile I just don't even bother with certain people. They just don't want to hear it or to be bothered to educate themselves about Diabetes and make changes.
I watched my neighbor do the exact thing you described. Eat whatever he wanted and just adjusted his insulin. And then he had renal failure, heart attack, lost a toe, lost vision in one eye, losing vision in other eye, and finally fatal heart attack. No thank you. I'll watch my carbs and hope for a few more good years!
haferchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:59 AM   #22
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
That's my total reasoning on really being strict on lc, to prevent future ailments, I have more than enough on my plate. And I personally believe that although it looks like meds can keep your #'s decent, in the long run, there will be a price to pay. Humans are smart and have come a long way in the medical field..........but no one can make something as good as what God originally gave us.

FYI...........I no longer waste my expensive ingredients for church suppers. I bake the high fat, high sugar stuff for'em. I eat what I can and if not enough, wait until I get home. Sometimes just take the food in and then I just go home to a terrific healthy meal.
JJJ'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:01 PM   #23
TypeONegative
Destination Onederland

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ'sMom View Post
I'm only on metformin but "not eating", seems to always raise my bg. Was explained to me that the liver (I think) will throw glucose to your system if it detects you haven't eaten. I too have high morning # and I have found if I eat some fat and protein, it comes down. But so very hard for me to eat when I get up.

People on this board are lc'ing but I tend to think that the majority of the diabetic population just wants to have their cake and eat it too. I see diabetics all around me who say, oh I'll eat this and just take more med. My endo told me that of all the diabetics that she treats, I'm only 1 of about 5 who are actually lc'ing as a way of life to control their diabetes. She said that people don't want to give up the carbs, therefore she has to throw the meds at'em. So no wonder the med. community as a whole aren't hollering "low carb", patients don't want it. And heaven forbid that we ask a diabetic to cook their foods at home, can't be bothered w/ that. I tell'em all the time you can have your cake and eat it too. Terrific ways to bake lc sweets, just have to get used to different , more expensive ingredients. And although I've taken in some terrific sweet treats to church dinners to prove my point where everyone raves over them, no one will take the time to make them for themselves. They had just rather take the meds. Lol, and when I go thru the food line picking up protein and fats, their agast. Just puzzles me why when you show, tell and bake lc for all to see and taste, it comes down to they just
"don't want to change their ways".
My Father has diabetes and his is under control with Metformin, although he has Type 2 not like the latent onset Type 1 I have. He does ok with his eating but I cannot grocery shop with him. Anything high fat I put in the cart (bacon, eggs, etc.) he criticizes and says stuff like aren't I worried about my cholesterol. I tried explaining that dietary fat has little to do with cholesterol readings. He understands eating lower carb but not LOW carb. He showed me this Special K protein cereal and I was thinking no way can I eat that my sugar will skyrocket. Apparently his readings are fine though, but I do not think he tests at home, just goes by the A1C readings from the Dr. who tells him he's fine. I on the other hand test up to 6 times a day sometimes because being on insulin you have to test a lot!