Forum Jump

Old 09-25-2015, 03:27 PM   #1321
Hot Tamale
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/a lot/182
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
Skin adjusting to weight loss will depend on many factors...how much weight, how quickly lost, your age, the location of the loose skin, etc... I lost a lot of weight pretty quickly, but honestly, when you're in your 40's and lose that much...well there was no way my skin was going to bounce back. Kinda like a hair scrunchie - use it enough times and stretch it enough times and eventually it won't snap back. I had 4 different procedures to get rid of my excess skin, but I would still rather be thinner with loose skin vs. heavier without it. Health is really important.
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2016, 07:51 AM   #1322
Dreamtrue
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dreamtrue
Stats: 322/177/145
WOE: WLS/VSG
Start Date: 12/19/2011
I am starting to look into this. My goal is to have some work done this time next year. I still have more weight to lose.

My highest was about 330. I was over 300 or close to it for a couple of decades. In 2011, I had VSG. I got down to 174 as a low. But in 2015, my mom got sick and passed away in early 2016. I gained about 20lbs. I'm working on losing that and also getting back to my original goal of 145. I am determined to do that in 2016.

I need a full body lift and implants. But it seems really expensive and dangerous, more dangerous than VSG certainly. I guess I'm kind of a scaredy cat.

Last edited by Dreamtrue; 03-06-2016 at 07:52 AM..
Dreamtrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:35 PM   #1323
betterthanever
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: betterthanever
Stats: 265/165...165/155
WOE: Atkins/fasting
Start Date: Feb 2014
What's VSG?

I have now saved enough for a lower body lift. I'm still too scared to schedule it. I'd also like to lose another 20 lbs, and I'm having trouble getting the scale to move. I had thought to have the surgery this summer, but...I may just be too scared. :-(
Old 03-08-2016, 08:27 AM   #1324
joyful48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: joyful48
Stats: 230/160/115
WOE: atkins
Where are you planning on having it done?? Mexico may be my only option money wise ,though there have been loads of good testimonials .That scares the crap out of me...but, I hate the way my tummy looks so I may latter decide if that's what I want to do.

230/ 123~ back to 198
lost regain to 148 getting there
joyful48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:31 AM   #1325
betterthanever
Major LCF Poster!

I looked for a local doctor. I heard one person went to Mexico, but that scares me even more than having it done here in the states!
Old 03-08-2016, 08:56 AM   #1326
joyful48
Senior LCF Member

I too think about spending loads of money when I'm gonna be 65 next year. In my mind I go back and forth about it.

230/ 123~ back to 198
Old 03-08-2016, 10:33 AM   #1327
Izzysdream
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Izzysdream
Stats: age 60, prednisone since 11/16
WOE: trying to figure it out
Start Date: 4/2006 restart: 4/2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by betterthanever View Post
What's VSG?

I have now saved enough for a lower body lift. I'm still too scared to schedule it. I'd also like to lose another 20 lbs, and I'm having trouble getting the scale to move. I had thought to have the surgery this summer, but...I may just be too scared. :-(
Vertical sleeve gastrectomy is surgery to help with weight loss. The surgeon removes a large portion of your stomach. The new, smaller stomach is about the size of a banana. It limits the amount of food you can eat by making you feel full after eating small amounts of food.
Izzysdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:16 PM   #1328
betterthanever
Major LCF Poster!

I go back and forth, too. Part of me says "I've always been ashamed of my tummy area. I've done a herculean effort in getting this weight off, I would SO love to be able to be comfortable in my own skin!" But another part says, "You're 55 and happily married. You don't need to impress anyone." "What if something goes wrong, and you have to suffer for years for ELECTIVE surgery?" and finally, "Think of all the other things you could do with that money!"

Honestly, if it weren't for #2 above, I think I'd do it. I can't imagine a trip or a home fixup that I would enjoy more, every day, than I would a smooth tummy.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:25 PM   #1329
Cruzcrzy
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Cruzcrzy
Stats: 183/148/135, 55 years young
At 49 I had my TT, and breast lift(no implants). I have always been an apple and carried my weight in the middle. For YEARS I was asked when my baby was due, and I was not pregnant. I am 53, and it is the BEST.MONEY.I.EVER.SPENT. It was life changing for me! I love my flat stomach, the way I look in clothes, etc. I am a much happier person. I did have some post op problems, hospitalized for collapsed lung, but, I would still do it all over again. I had both procedures done in the same surgery, and it was just too much for my body...SELF PAY.

The BEACH is my HAPPY PLACE.

HUNGER is not an EMERGENCY!

Cruzcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:04 AM   #1330
joyful48
Senior LCF Member

Yes even at my lowest in my teens my lowest weight ever, 105 lbs.I still had a little pouch by my stomach it has NEVER been flat.Of course I never had this hanging flap but, it was as I said , never flat!. I've got bat wings and jiggly thighs but this bothers me the most. My face is wrinkled but,, this would be the one thing I would do if money wasn't so much the issue.

230/ 123~ back to 198

Last edited by joyful48; 03-09-2016 at 06:08 AM..
Old 03-09-2016, 06:32 PM   #1331
betterthanever
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzcrzy View Post
At 49 I had my TT, and breast lift(no implants). I have always been an apple and carried my weight in the middle. For YEARS I was asked when my baby was due, and I was not pregnant. I am 53, and it is the BEST.MONEY.I.EVER.SPENT. It was life changing for me! I love my flat stomach, the way I look in clothes, etc. I am a much happier person. I did have some post op problems, hospitalized for collapsed lung, but, I would still do it all over again. I had both procedures done in the same surgery, and it was just too much for my body...SELF PAY.
It's testimonials like yours that edge me closer to taking the plunge. Thanks! (and the fact that this makes me happier to hear, shows me I really DO want to do this).
Old 03-10-2016, 12:24 AM   #1332
Cruzcrzy
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Cruzcrzy
Stats: 183/148/135, 55 years young
Quote:
I go back and forth, too. Part of me says "I've always been ashamed of my tummy area. I've done a herculean effort in getting this weight off, I would SO love to be able to be comfortable in my own skin!" But another part says, "You're 55 and happily married. You don't need to impress anyone." "What if something goes wrong, and you have to suffer for years for ELECTIVE surgery?" and finally, "Think of all the other things you could do with that money!"

Honestly, if it weren't for #2 above, I think I'd do it. I can't imagine a trip or a home fixup that I would enjoy more, every day, than I would a smooth tummy.
Quote:
It's testimonials like yours that edge me closer to taking the plunge. Thanks! (and the fact that this makes me happier to hear, shows me I really DO want to do this).
You are at a good age. I did this for myself, but, in turn, I AM a happier person. About the money, I would rather drive an old car, and have the surgery. Yes, there are other things you can do with the money, but, I can't think of anything better and more life changing. I am speaking for myself. There is risk, and that must be weighed. Honestly, I wonder all the time if I would have kept the weight off, had I not had the surgery. Even after the weight loss my stomach was still an issue. I have so much incentive to keep the weight off. As it is, I have gained 10-15 pounds within the last year or two(my lowest 130, now 145) that I am not happy about. With that said, my size 4's still fit. Best wishes to you!

The BEACH is my HAPPY PLACE.

HUNGER is not an EMERGENCY!

Last edited by Cruzcrzy; 03-10-2016 at 12:25 AM..
Cruzcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:28 AM   #1333
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I have an 'alternative' view on this, so feel free to ignore me.

My major weight was always my hips and thighs, and it wasn't until I was well over 300 lbs that I had a 'belly' at all. And since I lost all my weight after menopause--when the body tends to settle weight in the mid-section, I lost well in my hips and thighs--so that's where I have the most loose skin (my upper arms as well). I don't have that abdominal 'apron' that can cause irritation and infections.

I began strength training about 7 years ago, so I'm probably as 'toned' as I'll get, and honestly my loose skin isn't an issue--unless I'm nude. Wearing clothing makes me look almost 'normal.'

Of course, all that loose skin tends to inflate the scale number, but I'm resigned to that. About the only inconvenience is that when I travel by air, I always 'fail' with the new scanners. It wasn't until the TSA agents showed me the picture that I realized the 'alerts' were all in areas where I have a lot of loose skin. Apparently the machines are calibrated to 'look' for body parts that are inconsistent with the person's frame and could indicate hidden items (like explosives). When I explained my weight loss to the agents, they agreed that it was loose skin that was alerting the machines. That doesn't help much because I still fail and have to be 'wanded.'

Given my resistance to any elective surgery, I'm resigned to my loose skin because it isn't any real health hazard.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:08 PM   #1334
Hot Tamale
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/a lot/182
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
Best money I ever spent other than the money I spent on my gastric bypass. I lost the weight after WLS, but only after the surgeries did I really look the way I was supposed to. You can look for my past posts on this thread for specifics, but trust me: I would do it all again in a heartbeat.
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 01:05 PM   #1335
Dirty Harriet
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/216/199@ 5'7" (-209)
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day (total) + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
I have an 'alternative' view on this, so feel free to ignore me.

My major weight was always my hips and thighs, and it wasn't until I was well over 300 lbs that I had a 'belly' at all. And since I lost all my weight after menopause--when the body tends to settle weight in the mid-section, I lost well in my hips and thighs--so that's where I have the most loose skin (my upper arms as well). I don't have that abdominal 'apron' that can cause irritation and infections.

I began strength training about 7 years ago, so I'm probably as 'toned' as I'll get, and honestly my loose skin isn't an issue--unless I'm nude. Wearing clothing makes me look almost 'normal.'

Of course, all that loose skin tends to inflate the scale number, but I'm resigned to that. About the only inconvenience is that when I travel by air, I always 'fail' with the new scanners. It wasn't until the TSA agents showed me the picture that I realized the 'alerts' were all in areas where I have a lot of loose skin. Apparently the machines are calibrated to 'look' for body parts that are inconsistent with the person's frame and could indicate hidden items (like explosives). When I explained my weight loss to the agents, they agreed that it was loose skin that was alerting the machines. That doesn't help much because I still fail and have to be 'wanded.'

Given my resistance to any elective surgery, I'm resigned to my loose skin because it isn't any real health hazard.
I'm where you are at, Leo. I'd say my scale is inflated by 40-50 pounds of skin. Drives me crazy IF I allow it......
Congrats on your wt loss and maintenance!
Old 04-02-2016, 09:07 PM   #1336
betterthanever
Major LCF Poster!

I am thinking about this almost every day. I have never, ever been happy with the way I looked. I've always been overweight to some degree. And it saddens me that after losing this weight, I still am embarrassed about the bulges in my pants or skirts. I'm trying to look at myself with a less critical eye these days, and remember that nobody else is really looking at my body the way I do. I don't know if that will help me...can't hurt, anyway.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:57 PM   #1337
Dirty Harriet
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/216/199@ 5'7" (-209)
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day (total) + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
Quote:
I am thinking about this almost every day. I have never, ever been happy with the way I looked. I've always been overweight to some degree. And it saddens me that after losing this weight, I still am embarrassed about the bulges in my pants or skirts. I'm trying to look at myself with a less critical eye these days, and remember that nobody else is really looking at my body the way I do. I don't know if that will help me...can't hurt, anyway.
^^^this^^^
I just keep telling myself, all of the good things my body does for me. I banished 220 pounds forever off of my frame, and do not have orthopedic issues or arthritis, which would have been the expectation!
However, I do not believe that bikini models can eat an entire $6 hamburger from Carl's Jr. If I gain weight on 1200 calories a day, the models are going hungry, eating crumbs!