Old 04-16-2015, 05:53 PM   #1
lbrown5256
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lbrown5256
Stats: 165/152/130
WOE: Atkins modified
Start Date: 6/1/09 restart 4/10/15
How do you pick yourself back up?

What are some of your strategies for getting back on plan when you go off the rails? Yesterday I did horrible!! I don't have anyone to blame but myself, I was doing so good! Anyway today I'm back on plan and so far so good. It's so easy to let one day become two and so on!
lbrown5256 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2015, 11:06 PM   #2
FatBomb
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FatBomb
Just get back on plan as soon as possible. Don't beat yourself up, and, don't wait until some later date to restart - just do it, now. It also helps me to get back into the mindset by reading posts here on the LCF forums. The inspiration I get here by reading other peoples stories of how they deal with the same issues is just incredible for motivation.
FatBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 05:08 AM   #3
dcmike
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dcmike
Stats: 300/196/200
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: June 2, 2014
Fatbomb is totally right - you can't let it weigh on you, you just have to forget about it and get back on plan. If you think too much about it and let it get to you, it can become a bad spiral.
3 Mar 15 - reached goal of 200 lbs!
dcmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:00 AM   #4
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Sorry you are struggling. I think we have all been in that position at one time or another. I can say that my biggest tool in the tool box has been this very forum. There is always someone here to understand and support you.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:02 AM   #5
Erinmama
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Erinmama
Stats: 150/ back at it again...../ goal of 130
WOE: LC
Start Date: 6/18/2012
I have tried to pick myself back up for the past 2 years and just couldn't stick with it. It was depressing and really hard on my psyche! This is time #3766869 that I am attempting it, and so far, it's been 2 solid weeks and I am pumped! My advice is the same as above, get right back on it as SOON as you slip up, it just gets harder, believe me. Lots of fat, yummy fat, so you don't feel deprived, lots of water, and get on this board. You can do it!!
Erinmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:35 AM   #6
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/217/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/NK
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Like other said, reading here is a big help. I also like to start a new diet/health book (not a different diet, but one that supports LC but maybe talks about the health benefits. Try Grain Brain if you haven't read it). Go to the store and get your on-plan favorites.

I also try to look at what preceeded going off plan- frustration, boredom, tiredness- then try to come up with tricks to help me through when it happens againa, brcause it will. I recently figured put (at 48, with 30+ years of dieting under my belt) that I am a tired/frustrated eater. If I am swamped with commitments or things to do, I look for sweets. Realizing that helps me deal with it.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:34 AM   #7
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I will add my one other tip for me that is very important and that is to always have a plan for food for the day.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 10:41 AM   #8
snowangel9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Make a plan. It was always easier if I had it written down. Like a menu for the week. There is just something about having it on paper that makes me follow through.

I agree with all the above advice too. Reading a complimentary book helps me too. Gets me re-focused. But, really? Give yourself a pat on the back! So you messed up? That's ONE day. Good for you for NOT letting that one day ruin everything!! You can do this!!

..stop thinking of it as "starting over". It's life, we don't get do-overs. You can only move forward from this point. ~~ pepperanne
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 10:53 AM   #9
rachel2writer
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rachel2writer
Stats: 265/221.6/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec 2014/Restart 4/2/18
It made it much easier to eat on plan when I changed my focus from losing a specific number of pounds to being healthier and stronger. I haven't lost every single week, but I HAVE progressed in being able to do more and eliminating some health issues. The weight loss comes right along side it.
3rd Goal: 175 (no longer obese)
Final Goal: 150
rachel2writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:25 PM   #10
lbrown5256
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I will add my one other tip for me that is very important and that is to always have a plan for food for the day.
Yes! This is where I messed up but I'm trying to write down all my mistakes so I can plan better for the future. Thanks to all for the support it really helps!
Old 04-17-2015, 06:10 PM   #11
sk8termom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sk8termom
Stats: 291/270/257.5/170
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: April 1, 2014
I've been having problems as well. Planning is the key. For example, tonight I went to our local grocery store, lots of great sales (separate post), and am cooking up lots of pork chops and chicken drumsticks with lemon pepper seasoning for dinners and snacks. This way hopefully I won't be as tempted late at night and for dinners.
sk8termom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 07:41 PM   #12
TypeONegative
Destination Onederland

Gallery: TypeONegative
Stats: Highest weight 370/Summer2014=317/217/199
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart 3-24-15 @ 299.2
Honestly I have been on the wagon almost a month now after a 7 year hiatus. I was on low carb for a year & 7 months in 2006-2008 with no cheats. I'm the kind of person that cannot cheat, I have to have complete abstinence or I'll fall off the wagon for years. I can't even say how I pick myself back up. I guess it's timing and really being ready to completely commit. This is the longest I've been on for 7 years.
I'm in a relationship with low carb and we are NOT breaking up this time!
Member of the 30 weeks til 2016 challenge!
8 months on the wagon completed 11-24-15
TypeONegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 11:28 PM   #13
NewOldLC
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: NewOldLC
Stats: 235/158.8/165 Goal met Jan 9 2016. New goal 145!
WOE: Atkins DANDR
Start Date: January 12, 2015
I have type 2 diabetes and have a family friend who does too. I think about him and the fact that he has never made any effort to change his eating habits to control his blood sugars and so, very sadly he has just lost both of his legs...very sobering thought
NewOldLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 05:37 AM   #14
theLossgirl
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 148/108-110/129 (5'5") Age 46
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal: 8/12
The best way (imho) to keep a splurge from being an all out free fall is to erase guilt. I think guilt leads to feelings of failure, and once we feel we've failed, we sometimes just throw in the towel for awhile. Allow yourself to appreciate that you enjoyed whatever you ate, and then move to the next meal. No guilt allowed. That means no extra restriction of calories or eating foods you don't particularly like to "make up for it". Make sure your next low carb meal is one of your very favorites.

Befores and Afters: http://www.bluemelon.com/thelossgirl12/
theLossgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 11:53 AM   #15
Madmarsha
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: 212/166/145
WOE: NSNG/Fung fast
Start Date: October 2013
Get back into the next meal or next day! Leave it behind and just go on. It's not like you can undo anything; but you don't have to pile on top by saying, Oh, well, I "messed" up, might as well keep going.

Restart: 2/16/2017 184
Low: 4/26/2017 166
Current: 5/3/2017 168
Madmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:13 AM   #16
renogeorge
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: renogeorge
Stats: 286/210/190 6'1''
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 03/10/02
I fell off the wagon this year again. But when I really think about it, I haven't really totally committed for the longest time. I would always be thinking about having that cheat meal in the future and I didn't want to really say to myself that I won't ever eat that stuff again. I am at the crossroads of my life here and I have to commit. I want to live! I want to feel in control! Food has been the most difficult thing for me to master. When I am doing it right, I feel sooo good! I want that back!
renogeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:38 AM   #17
theLossgirl
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 148/108-110/129 (5'5") Age 46
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal: 8/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by renogeorge View Post
I fell off the wagon this year again. But when I really think about it, I haven't really totally committed for the longest time. I would always be thinking about having that cheat meal in the future and I didn't want to really say to myself that I won't ever eat that stuff again.
Hi George!

Instead of saying that you won't ever eat certain foods again, would it help if you said, "I won't eat that today." Never is a long time, and many people do go off plan very occasionally (myself included), and maintain weight.

Befores and Afters: http://www.bluemelon.com/thelossgirl12/
theLossgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:39 AM   #18
Dirty Harriet
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/216/199@ 5'7" (-209)
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day (total) + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
It's a battle......victorious at times....one slip over time, means less and less, as the days go by. You're in this for the long haul; there will be days in the future that will be fraught with peril. Some days you're the windshield, some days you're the bug.
Champions never give up. Bloody, battered, feeling beaten, they still will make it to their goal.....you can definitely do this like everyone else here says!!!
Old 04-19-2015, 12:29 PM   #19
Madmarsha
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: 212/166/145
WOE: NSNG/Fung fast
Start Date: October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by renogeorge View Post
I fell off the wagon this year again. But when I really think about it, I haven't really totally committed for the longest time. I would always be thinking about having that cheat meal in the future and I didn't want to really say to myself that I won't ever eat that stuff again. I am at the crossroads of my life here and I have to commit. I want to live! I want to feel in control! Food has been the most difficult thing for me to master. When I am doing it right, I feel sooo good! I want that back!
"Planned" cheat meals don't work. Well, at least for me. Because, like you said, then you're just thinking about that. And you think it'll make you feel less like you're depriving yourself but it doesn't work that way. I don't "plan" anything. Even if say, Hey, I'm going to that fabulous restaurant with the fabulous bread, I save the decision for when or how much I'm going to eat to that moment. Because if I say none, and I have some, I'm going to feel weak. So then I don't even enjoy it. So then I have more until I DO enjoy it. Does any of that make any sense?

And, the truth is, you WILL eat that stuff again so don't tell yourself that. It's just depressing. When I feel I have "permission", it loses its allure. So that I know when I eat something "illicit", I haven't imbued it with a magical power wanting more, more, more. I can eat something that I know is wrong for me and that will most likely make my blood sugar ping but that I fully enjoyed so I know I can have control because I'm not looking for the next "fix" while I suffer the consequences. Does any of THAT make any sense?

I just know that I have not been "perfect", but I've never done what I would characterize as falling off the wagon; and it's not my patience and willpower. So I hope you get the commitment back; but, IMO, it's going to take working on your mindset.

Restart: 2/16/2017 184
Low: 4/26/2017 166
Current: 5/3/2017 168
Madmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:54 PM   #20
lbrown5256
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harriet View Post
It's a battle......victorious at times....one slip over time, means less and less, as the days go by. You're in this for the long haul; there will be days in the future that will be fraught with peril. Some days you're the windshield, some days you're the bug.
Champions never give up. Bloody, battered, feeling beaten, they still will make it to their goal.....you can definitely do this like everyone else here says!!!
I really like this!! Thank you!!
Old 04-19-2015, 04:51 PM   #21
renogeorge
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: renogeorge
Stats: 286/210/190 6'1''
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 03/10/02
I think the thing is with me is that I need commit. I have taken the path of seeing where this will take me, rather than being on a mission to see this through. I have been eating this way for a long time (low carb). It all started in 2002 at 286 lbs. I haven't since seen that weight completely come back, but I haven't made progress in years. I guess I could say I did well to not gain back all the weight again. The thing is, I want to be at a healthy weight for me. That would be around 200 lbs.

My plan of attack will be to start the next meal as a low carb one. Looking too far in the future will be ominous for me. One meal at a time can work! I truly want this! I allowed myself to skate around total immersion into the plan. Now is the time in my life to make the commitment and follow through.
renogeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 05:12 PM   #22
niccofive
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: niccofive
Stats: lost 65 lbs. / in maintenance
WOE: Low Carb my way, for maintenance
Start Date: Oct 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Sorry you are struggling. I think we have all been in that position at one time or another. I can say that my biggest tool in the tool box has been this very forum. There is always someone here to understand and support you.
Totally echo this response. Make some friends on this forum who get to know you, and who will be honest with you and have your back. I am so happy to have found a few people who will tell me that if they notice I need to pay attention or pull back on the reins. And I would do the same for them in a hot second.

Getting yourself back on track was right on. Now get a support group going, either from folks you have met or come on over to my journal and join our crowd.

All the best to you!

"Your dreams don't work unless you do."
"It is important not to reject the good in demand for the perfect."
niccofive is offline   Reply With Quote