Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 11-02-2017, 07:53 AM   #1
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
Stats: Low carb for blood sugar control
Real bacon back on the menu

For several months, we've been eating turkey bacon because the "real stuff" has been five dollars a pound and up. I bought bulk "ends and pieces" for about three dollars a pound to cook with.

Yesterday, the big ten pound restaurant packs of bacon were back down to less than $33 from almost $45. The sign said the price was good through the end of the year.

They come in two five pound vacuum packed bags, with ten layers of bacon in each bag...1/2 lb per layer. The layers are separated by big pieces of parchment paper. I just roll each layer up on its parchment like a jelly roll, and put the rolls in a plastic bag in the freezer. I take out half a pound at a time to thaw.

It is very good bacon, and at $3.30 a lb, reasonably priced compared to buying it in the supermarket.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2017, 10:04 AM   #2
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
Good price!

I bought two 3-pound packs earlier this week at Grocery Outlet and they came out to just over $4/pound. I HATE paying that much, but ya gotta have BACON and we don't care for anything but the real, and thick-cut, stuff!

Nice score on what you got.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 02:02 PM   #3
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
That's a good deal sbwertz.

Sometimes it goes on sale here for store brand for $3 per lb, but not very often. They like to put the thin sliced 12oz pkgs on sale for 2/$5 occasionally too.

This year hasn't been very good for finding bacon on sale around here. (I only bacon occasionally, but my wife eats it nearly every day.)
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 06:57 AM   #4
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
Stats: Low carb for blood sugar control
Forgot to say it was at Sam's Club.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:01 AM   #5
Gibbs
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Gibbs
Stats: 375/263/199 or less
WOE: Stay below 20 carbs per day
Start Date: 7/12/16 for yet another time
Mmm bacon! The meat market my sister goes to had Oscar Mayer on sale for $2.88/#, she got me 15# worth. Before that was Smithfield for $1.99/#!!
Old 11-04-2017, 07:16 AM   #6
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/217/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/NK
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I am glad to hear I am not the only one with a "bacon limit."

For years it was $4/lb, but I had to raise it to $5 a while back because I just wasn't finding any. The price has come back down some.

Lately, I have been buying a 12 oz package from Trader Joe's that we like that is usually $3.99.

Sometimes they have good deals at Grocery Outlet and I stock up.

Just to walk into my regular grocery and buy a name-brand not on sale, it can be $8-9/lb.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:44 AM   #7
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
I noticed the good applewood smoked bacon at Costco had come down in price a bit. Still a little over $4 a pound but better than it WAS.

I think it's all these dang cooking shows that tout pork belly and bacon in EVERYTHING that have screwed up the supply and demand on our beloved BACON!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 12:25 PM   #8
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
Well, guess that bacon went up everywhere, surely did here in NC. Tad bit over $4 a pd at Costco and the only reason I liked the Costco brand was because it rendered so much fat but not at that price. Average price here is $6 a lb. There is a local brand which a country store sells for $4 a lb, superb tasting but does yield a lot of fat but of course, not a problem for me, since I use all that fat. But when you need some substantial amt of cooked bacon, can still be quite pricey.

Thks for the heads up at Sam's Club Sharon, hitting that this wk, so I'll ck here.
JJJ'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 04:24 PM   #9
sammienrosie
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sammienrosie
We get all our bacon at Costco and their thick cut bacon has been right around $3 a pound all year. It is two 1 1/2 pound packages, for a total of 3 pounds for under $10. We sometimes buy a couple packs at a time in case we get bacon crazy. It has been known to happen.
sammienrosie is offline   Reply With Quote