Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 09-21-2017, 09:02 AM   #61
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baricat View Post
Just wondering if anyone who has difficulty digesting polyD and/or xylitol has tried this product yet and can report on how well it was tolerated.
PolyD messes me up. I have used it because at the time I didn't have many options, but I'm very happy to have moved on from it. I handle xylitol just fine as long as it is birch xylitol--xylitol from corn gives me gastric distress.

There was a chocolate brownie cake I used to make that was SO good with polyd and isomalt, but the side effects hardly made it worth it. Still haven't been able to duplicate that texture, doubt I even could with regular sugar. Ah well.
EnglishLit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2017, 11:54 AM   #62
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/116/135 Start:size 22, now size 0.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 10 years.
English, I didn't realize there were different iterations of xylitol. I used the Now brand exactly once, and the results were so noxious that I never used it again. When I found out about its toxicity to dogs, I got too hinky to have it in the house, as my Westie is lightning-fast when so much as a crumb of anything gets dropped.

Ouiz, that's an interesting wrinkle, that it seems to be dosage dependent. I'm worried that titration what the sweet spot is might be difficult.

I SO want to get this. It seems like everyone else is having a blast trying it out, and I wanna come out and play, too! I'm just a royal wuss after some epic bad results with other sweeteners. It's not so much the money as it is the fear factor. I'm getting close to pulling the trigger, however.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:09 PM   #63
marshamarsha
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marshamarsha
Stats: 270/175/140
WOE: low carb my way!
Start Date: 2011
Quote:
English, I didn't realize there were different iterations of xylitol. I used the Now brand exactly once, and the results were so noxious that I never used it again. When I found out about its toxicity to dogs, I got too hinky to have it in the house, as my Westie is lightning-fast when so much as a crumb of anything gets dropped.

Ouiz, that's an interesting wrinkle, that it seems to be dosage dependent. I'm worried that titration what the sweet spot is might be difficult.

I SO want to get this. It seems like everyone else is having a blast trying it out, and I wanna come out and play, too! I'm just a royal wuss after some epic bad results with other sweeteners. It's not so much the money as it is the fear factor. I'm getting close to pulling the trigger, however.
Baicat: i personally will buy the unused portion of your BochaSweet if you don't like it, but I so know you will. Try one bag in a baking application and you will kick yourself for not trying it sooner. and again, if it turns out you just can't stomach the awesomeness i'll gladly take it off your hands...
marshamarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:55 PM   #64
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

LOL, Marsha! You made me an offer I can't refuse. OK. Time to just order my first pound. Then, I need to clear the decks to set aside a day where I don't have to be anywhere, just in case. Truth be told, I'm really eager to see what all the talk is about, but the anticipation is tinged with a bit of fear, too...
Old 09-21-2017, 08:18 PM   #65
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Update: OK, Marsha. Owing to your gentle nudge, I pulled the trigger. One thing I found that surprised me was that all orders, regardless of size, get free shipping. Cool. But one caveat. They raised the price. Even so, it worked out a little better. Yesterday, the one pound pack was $13.99 with $6 shipping=$19.99. Today, it was a flat $18.99 which included free shipping. So I saved one dollar net. The website doesn't indicate if this is temporary, or a permanent move.

Now, can anyone tell me how long it takes to get it? I seem to recall someone saying it's not a quick process. So. Hard. To. Wait...
Old 09-22-2017, 12:06 AM   #66
marshamarsha
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marshamarsha
Stats: 270/175/140
WOE: low carb my way!
Start Date: 2011
Quote:
Update: OK, Marsha. Owing to your gentle nudge, I pulled the trigger. One thing I found that surprised me was that all orders, regardless of size, get free shipping. Cool. But one caveat. They raised the price. Even so, it worked out a little better. Yesterday, the one pound pack was $13.99 with $6 shipping=$19.99. Today, it was a flat $18.99 which included free shipping. So I saved one dollar net. The website doesn't indicate if this is temporary, or a permanent move.

Now, can anyone tell me how long it takes to get it? I seem to recall someone saying it's not a quick process. So. Hard. To. Wait...

I honestly don't recall waiting very long for it. maybe a few days, at best..
marshamarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:04 AM   #67
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

That's funny, the NOW brand was the first xylitol I ever had and it was horrible on my digestive system! I was never going to touch it again, but then someone in a comments section of a blog recipe I was reading suggested to give birch xylitol a try, and I did and never looked back. I use Ideal now because it's lower in calories than regular xylitol, but it still remains one of my all time favorite sweeteners. I can't wait to hit goal so I can scale back the erythritol and incorporate pure xylitol again.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:48 PM   #68
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

MY BOCHASWEET WAS DELIVERED THIS AFTERNOON!! Can't wait to take it for a test spin. Hope to bake something tomorrow or Friday, and will taste a little, and wait a few hours, then increase by a few bites. Once you have a severe reaction to one of these babies, you're totally skeeved out forever more..

Here's hoping it is well tolerated. I'm really excited about this!
Old 09-28-2017, 11:52 AM   #69
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Good luck! Definitely ease into it, no matter how good it tastes!

I'm eating some french toast made with it right now, and will be making a red kuri pumpkin pie later with it as the dominant sweetener. So good!
Old 09-28-2017, 12:50 PM   #70
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

English, do you usually powder it when you bake? I noticed that the texture is somewhat granular, and wondered if it tends to stay that way, like erythritol does. I automatically powder erythritol with other sweeteners before use in just about anything.

Which leads me to another question: Do you think if it were powdered it would work well in frosting recipes? Anyone tried this yet?
Old 09-28-2017, 03:14 PM   #71
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

I don't powder it, I use it just like granulated sugar, it doesn't recrystallize like erythritol.

I have not used it as a standalone sweetener in frosting, but I have used it in my sweetener mix which includes erythritol, whey low and Ideal. I think next time I might eliminate the whey low and just use the bochasweet in its place.

I decided that I would use bochasweet in place of whey low granular (I still love Whey Low brown, can't give that up!), but I've heard it doesn't really caramelize, so I will keep a bag around just in case.

I think next week I will use the bochasweet in a kabocha dessert. lol
Old 09-28-2017, 04:18 PM   #72
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishLit View Post
I don't powder it, I use it just like granulated sugar, it doesn't recrystallize like erythritol.

I have not used it as a standalone sweetener in frosting, but I have used it in my sweetener mix which includes erythritol, whey low and Ideal. I think next time I might eliminate the whey low and just use the bochasweet in its place.

I decided that I would use bochasweet in place of whey low granular (I still love Whey Low brown, can't give that up!), but I've heard it doesn't really caramelize, so I will keep a bag around just in case.

I think next week I will use the bochasweet in a kabocha dessert. lol
English, can you tell me more about Whey Low? I had never heard of it before your post, and the website was vague about its constituents. It says it has a "lower glycemic index" than sugar (doesn't pretty much every sugar substitute? Or am I missing something here??) but doesn't refer in any concrete terms of how much one can expect a product made from it will raise blood sugars. From what I could tell, it is still a sugar derivative, which, no matter how you slice it, will raise blood sugar and the carb count. I did get that 1 tsp=1 gram carb. So that's 3 grams per Tb, a whopping 48 grams in a cup.

Maybe in a blend, it's not that crucial to some, but to us diabetics, we have to (or should, at the very least, keep track of each and every carb we ingest. Can't figure out how it offers greater benefit for minimizing blood sugar spikes in diabetics than other sweeteners.

I might have missed something, but I came away thinking it's probably a superior tasting, heavily processed, reduced-carb, sugar derivative, natural sugar substitute that works fine for those who don't need to keep strict low carb. Would you say that's accurate, and if not, please tell me where I went astray?
Old 09-28-2017, 08:58 PM   #73
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
English, can you tell me more about Whey Low? I had never heard of it before your post, and the website was vague about its constituents. It says it has a "lower glycemic index" than sugar (doesn't pretty much every sugar substitute? Or am I missing something here??) but doesn't refer in any concrete terms of how much one can expect a product made from it will raise blood sugars. From what I could tell, it is still a sugar derivative, which, no matter how you slice it, will raise blood sugar and the carb count. I did get that 1 tsp=1 gram carb. So that's 3 grams per Tb, a whopping 48 grams in a cup.

Maybe in a blend, it's not that crucial to some, but to us diabetics, we have to (or should, at the very least, keep track of each and every carb we ingest. Can't figure out how it offers greater benefit for minimizing blood sugar spikes in diabetics than other sweeteners.

I might have missed something, but I came away thinking it's probably a superior tasting, heavily processed, reduced-carb, sugar derivative, natural sugar substitute that works fine for those who don't need to keep strict low carb. Would you say that's accurate, and if not, please tell me where I went astray?

Yes, I've said in another thread that Whey Low isn't something I would recommend and should definitely be used on a case by case basis. I use it mostly for calorie control and the low carb count. It doesn't make me gain so that is good enough for me. It actually does not perform like sugar in some recipes (the powdered sugar is awful, for example, and I struggle to make a good caramel with both the granulated and brown sugar versions. Erythritol and vitafiber are both superior for that), so I still can't use it exclusively. If I were forced to pick my number 1 sweetener, I would probably choose xylitol--but it is 10 calories per teaspoon, so it's on the back burner for now. Bochasweet is the first sweetener that might be able to replace both xylitol and whey low for me.

Despite the fact that it doesn't make me gain, I'm still skeptical of Whey Low and I really don't like being dependent on sugar, even if it is low calorie and lower in carbs, I definitely prefer using alternative sweeteners.

My Mom uses it and she's a diabetic and checks her blood sugar, and she says she doesn't have a problem with it at all, but of course, she is one person. I know that she bakes with it and it is my parent's main sweetener, and my Dad has also lost some weight (my mother hasn't, but she is really thin to begin with, doctors have actually encouraged her to gain some).
I first heard of Whey Low from a relative who had a gastric bypass, and it was the only sweetener that didn't make her sick. Sugar, Splenda, erythritol, etc all made her sick.

In other news, the red kuri squash pie made with Bochasweet came out soooo delicious! Oh my goodness, the best one I've made yet. This stuff is so good and it has such a clean and pure sweetness.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:41 PM   #74
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Thank you, English, for the detailed response. It's interesting that your parents have had such success with their blood sugars while using it. Once I see how well this BochaSweet works, I'll take a second look at it, based on what you've said.

The squash pie sounds awesome! I love me some squash pie. No one else here does, however, so I rarely make it. But I do make the filling from time-to-time, in individual custard cups, so I might just have to do that to put this new BS through its paces. Didn't get to trying it out today, but will this weekend. Will proceed with caution as you advised, and if I can use it without incident, I can't wait to try it in ice cream!!

Again, thank you for the great information!
Old 09-29-2017, 06:11 PM   #75
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Over the first hurdle. I made myself a cup of hot chocolate, using about 4 tsp of BS. Delicious, real sugar flavor. Drank it about 4 hours ago, and all is still well.

Tomorrow, brownies.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:05 PM   #76
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
Fingers crossed! I may reconsider!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 05:43 AM   #77
RexsreineSC
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RexsreineSC
WOE: LC, lower fat, higher protein
Start Date: off and on for ten years
I just ordered some Bocha Sweet the other day.
Can hardly wait to try. While I love LC blueberry muffins for breakfast, I think chocolate is the real test. So hard to get sweetener right with chocolate, which for me is a food group...
RexsreineSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:32 AM   #78
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
EnglishLit gave the definitive adjectives for the taste, "clean and pure sweetness". Totally describes when I taste it on my finger.
JJJ'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:48 AM   #79
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

So after posting above, tht darn, I haven't tried it in coffee yet. So just made me a cup of coffee using only BochaSweet, hadn't done that yet. I'm not a coffee drinker but like the occasional cup in the
winter. But haven't been able to find a suitable sweetner. I use instant coffee, very little, coffeemate and sugar. Has to be just right for me to drink it. Well I'll be a monkey's uncle, I just made a cup w/ BS, whereas I would've added 1 tsp real sugar, I added 1 tsp, tasted and ended up adding 1 1/2 tsp total. I don't believe this, it taste just like what I used to drink and I haven't had a good cup of coffee in about 5 yrs now. I do believe is company would give out sample packs, so you can taste it plain and then in maybe your drink of choice, that would give a newbie an idea if they like it.
Old 09-30-2017, 04:24 PM   #80
JimM
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JimM
The package nutrition label says zero calories per teaspoon serving. It also claims that it's a "pure source of energy"... has "zero net carbs" ... and "a pentose sugar is a class of monosaccharides that are used by the body as a source of energy".

I'm confused. These statements contradict the nutrition label, and each other. After getting punked by the IMO low-carb claims, is Bochasweet another too-good-to-be-true flim flam?
JimM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 04:26 PM   #81
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Just saw that Amazon has reduced their price on the one pound, the only size they sell, to $17.99 with Prime shipping, making this currently the best deal available for a try-out.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:01 PM   #82
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

OK. Made the brownies (Deb's - "dldickins" - recipe) and popped them into the oven about 15 minutes ago. I won't be able to test them out for how well I tolerate the sweetener in a baked product until tomorrow, because by the time they cool it will be way too late tonight, but I do have a couple of very pertinent pieces to report about the batter.

Firstly, as pointed out so aptly by Ginny earlier, the true test of the sweetening power and quality of any sugar substitute is how it does with chocolate. By now, we all know that sucralose is a non starter. Erythritol does a reasonable job, but it's difficult to get it sweet enough before that non-mistakable ersatz quality starts to creep in. Stevia just gets plain bitter. A blend of those two, maybe with some Just Like Sugar, worked just about the best of anything.

I'm super encouraged to report that there was not one trace of any of those defects here. BochaSweet does a beautiful job with chocolate! I'm talkin' cravable, top-with-whipped-cream-and-hot-fudge-sauce, in-your-jammies-keep-them-all-to-yourself, perfectly natural-tasting, sweet chocolate flavor! Something to stand up and cheer about!!

Secondly, no matter how long I powdered my custom sweetener blend, there was always a whisper of grittiness in my brownies. It never seems to bother anyone else, but it sure bothered me. I kept thinking I could do better. So the next time, I'd run the coffee mill a little longer. And each time, I still felt it.

At the advice of EnglishLit, and also because I wanted to put BS to the full-on test, I purposefully declined to powder it before baking. Well, shut the front door.

I COULDN'T DETECT ANY GRITTINESS. None. Zip. Zilch. Nada.

I just retrieved them from the oven and they're on a rack cooling. The whole darned house smells ridiculous!! I'm dying for a brownie right now. I mean right. Now.

So far, this stuff has passed every test in spades! But it will all be for naught for me if it explodes in my gut. Tomorrow. The day of reckoning.

More to come. Stay tuned...
Old 09-30-2017, 07:24 PM   #83
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
The package nutrition label says zero calories per teaspoon serving. It also claims that it's a "pure source of energy"... has "zero net carbs" ... and "a pentose sugar is a class of monosaccharides that are used by the body as a source of energy".

I'm confused. These statements contradict the nutrition label, and each other. After getting punked by the IMO low-carb claims, is Bochasweet another too-good-to-be-true flim flam?
Jim, tomorrow I will test my blood sugar before I eat a brownie I baked with it, then test again 2 hours later to assess the overall effect. I will take my diabetes meds 1/2 hour before eating, as usual. If they're playing fast-and-loose with the truth, the sugar reading will reveal that, at least for me.

If diabetic, or if blood sugars are an issue, I'd strongly recommend everyone in this category do this simple test, as this sweetener is relatively new to the market, with therefore little empirical data available. It's imperative that anyone, for whom blood sugar is an issue, examines carefully how his body reacts idiosyncratically to any substance ingested.

I agree that the statements are monumentally confusing. I've been trying to mentally detangle them myself. But I've been reading everything I can find on the subject, not just from this company, and supposedly, kabocha has a zero glycemic footprint. No matter what any article says, the bottom line for me is what happens tomorrow.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:31 PM   #84
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Yes Cat, I totally agree with everything you wrote. I think no matter what, everyone should take all sweeteners on a case by case basis. I've seen and heard from people who've had spikes from every sweetener, including erythritol and xylitol, so you should definitely be cautious and mindful of that when testing brand new, relatively untested sweeteners on the market.
(On a side note, I just saw your weight loss stats, and I find them SO inspiring! Wow, size 22 to 0! Amazing achievement!)

Can't wait to hear all about your brownies. I'm craving something sweet but I just can't put my finger on it. The red kuri pie I made is reserved for breakfast only.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:11 PM   #85
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

I hear ya Jim. In one of the above posts, I tested my bg#'s, as a diabetic, I have to take this seriously. didn't have enough of a rise to not eat it. Thks for the heads up at Amazon Baricat.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:44 PM   #86
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Not surprisingly, after smelling that nirvana-in-a-pan half the night, I couldn't resist. I'm so weak. Especially when it comes to chocolate. I ate one slightly warm brownie, 1/16 of the pan, about an hour and 10 minutes after taking them out of the oven.

So, here's the deal. Basically, since I had taken my last dose of diabetes med 2-1/2 hours before eating the brownie, it wasn't a big factor. Still...

Starting blood sugar reading:100
Sugar at hour 1: 102
Sugar at hour 2: 91

For me, effectively NO spike whatsoever, and no long reaching effect on my blood glucose. Can hardly believe it, but the numbers on the meter don't lie.

And even better still, no gastric distress. Not even so much as a belch.

Tomorrow morning, I'm going to evaluate textural integrity in the refrigerated product, but since the texture while warm was more or less identical to what it's like when made with erythritol, sampled at the same point, I assume it will pass that test easily, as well.

I am so thrilled with this stuff that I'm ordering the 6 pound bag. I can only imagine what it's going to do for my ice creams!!

Hope the price comes down, however, because I just used up half a pound for one 8" pan of brownies! Looks like one pound yields about 2 cups. At just over $13 a pound (assuming you buy the 6 pound bag. Way higher when you go for the smaller bags) that's around $6.50 for the sweetener, alone. Not to mention 5 oz of 85% chocolate, among other ingredients.

Out of necessity, I'm going to experiment with blending BS with various proportions of erythritol and possibly stevia. Will have to see where the proportional breakpoint is for product quality. Expensive (but yummy!) experiments to come.

Thank you, thank you, Marsha, for telling us about BochaSweet! It's a game changer.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:43 AM   #87
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Last hurdle ACED! This is far and away the best texture I've ever experienced when making this recipe. Perfectly dense and moist, like a proper brownie should be. It's like eating a piece of "baked fudge!"

To recap:

Pros:
1) Superior sweetening
2) Well tolerated (But proceed with caution until you test for yourself)
3) Dissolves easily
4) No powdering necessary
5) Tastes like sugar
6) No apparent glycemic impact (YMMV. Do your own test to determine how it affects you.)
7) Contributes outstanding texture in baked goods

Cons: CRAZY expensive
Old 10-01-2017, 07:57 AM   #88
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishLit View Post
(On a side note, I just saw your weight loss stats, and I find them SO inspiring! Wow, size 22 to 0! Amazing achievement
How kind, English! Thank you.

It's been almost 11 years now, and sometimes it's almost difficult to remember how I felt back then. But on the other hand, it took about 6 full years before I stopped reflexively thinking of myself as fat. I don't want ever to erase how I lived the majority of my life. I don't want to ever forget just how sick I was. It's a powerful motivator. Had I continued down that self-destructive path, I'd either be much sicker and more miserable now at best, or dead at worst.

This "borrowed time" is so very sweet. And I could not have done it without LC. LCF has made it even easier, in every possible way.

THIS is living!
Old 10-05-2017, 04:23 PM   #89
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

I wrote about this on the chocolate bar thread, but the property of this sweetener I found out today is so significant that I am posting it here for anyone who is using BS.

I had asked EnglishLit earlier if she powdered BS before using. She had not. And I did not when I made my brownies. No grittiness in them, even so.

Today, I made a chocolate bar, where I stirred the BS into melted, but barely warm chocolate and cocoa butter. Not good. It did not dissolve even slightly. I tried reheating the mixture, but since it was chocolate which can only be tempered (max of about 95'degrees) I could not heat it up enough to dissolve the BS. I tried beating it and whipping it, to no avail.

BS is a superior sweetener to use with chocolate, so if you plan to put it into something that won't be exposed to significant heat (like a baked good or a hot beverage like tea or coffee) be sure to powder it first in order to make it incorporate properly and unobtrusively into your recipe. Unfortunately, not knowing this wrecked a very expensive recipe. Hope I can save you from a similar situation.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:16 PM   #90
linginfelter
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: linginfelter
Hello everyone! Newbie here but devouring all of the wonderful information. I am looking to buy sweeteners but after reading this thread I am wondering if Bochasweet is the only one I need. Or do you all still mix different sweeteners? I was looking at getting Just Like Sugar, Stevia, and Erythritol. What are your recommendations?
linginfelter is offline   Reply With Quote