Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 09-18-2008, 12:05 AM   #91
jemmi
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jemmi
Stats: 268/253.5/248 (mini-goal)
WOE: Dr. D'Adamo's Blood Type Food Plan
Start Date: August 6, 2013
Here are two pics of Chayote squash, and yes, they do have a "butt."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chayote Squash whole and in half.jpg (2.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Chayote squash.jpg (1.8 KB, 10 views)

TWICE A BEGGAR--"It's something we all wish for, and something we're all afraid of...To feel nothing when it hurts, and to feel everything when it doesn't." - Merrit Malloy
jemmi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2008, 12:50 AM   #92
hummingbird11
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Gallery: hummingbird11
Stats: 2008: 175/sz 12-14 >>> 2010: 145/sz 8-10 (5'8")
WOE: BFL (Oct/Nov/Dec)
Start Date: March 2008 (LC) >>> Oct 2010 (BFL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemmi View Post
Here are two pics of Chayote squash, and yes, they do have a "butt."
it sure does! a little green butt!

EXERCISE
M/R = yoga or pilates or callanetics
W/F = UB strength training (no LB)
T/Sat = cardio (elliptical or treadmill)
Sun = outdoor farm chores!!!!!
+ daily back/body stretches
hummingbird11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:27 AM   #93
yvonne326
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: yvonne326
Stats: 197/193/160
WOE: Low Carb & Exercise
Start Date: 5/28/14
Chayote is expensive. For us here $1.00 a piece.

BUT.... worth it.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:50 AM   #94
DEEDLYNN
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DEEDLYNN
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilfart5 View Post
Allie...was it the receipe you didn't like or was it the taste of the chayotes? Just wondering, as I have chayotes boiling to make the same receipe.

I did make Linda's fried apples the other the day and they were delicious. I topped it with some of my strawberry smoothie.

I read this post and thought....dang...that sounds familiar....I guess it's because we chatted about it the other night.

Love ya girl.....
DEEDLYNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:58 AM   #95
AllieCat0817
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AllieCat0817
Stats: 213.5/142/137
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 5/23/03
OK maybe jicama is what I'm after.... will give that a whirl

213.5/147/135, 160 original goal, Maintenance
Size 22/6-8/8 5'5", Age 41
Started 5/23/03
"YES, YOU CAN!"
Surgically Hypothyroid since 11/2002
AllieCat0817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:01 AM   #96
AllieCat0817
Senior LCF Member

How to make french fries without using potatoes | eHow.com

Not a day goes by where I don't dream of a white and red-latticed container, with a tumble of crispy, skin-on fries spilling from the top, with a thin, wooden fork, speared into one of the greasy, salty potatoes. I dream big. So while nothing in the world can be a substitute for that perfect treat, this is all I've been able to muster. The seasonings sort of trick your mouth into telling your brain "this is a french fry" but you'll know, even then, that it's not the real thing. But if you can divorce yourself from the comparison, these little frizzled, fried delights are quite yummy.

Buy a jicama. A WHATama? A jicama. It's a strange looking vegetable that appears to be a cross between a coconut and a horseradish root. But it's the size of about a honeydew melon.
Step2After going to four stores to find said jicama, and cursing my name, cut the top and bottom off. But before you prepare your jicama, pour a ton of vegetable oil into a high-sided frying pan and turn the heat on high.
Step3While it heats, gouge the top of your jicama with a peeler and grab the peel. You should be able to simply pull the peel down. If not, peel it like a big, round carrot. I'm not gonna lie--this part is a pain in the ass.
Step4Now cut your lovely, peeled and pale orb into discs, and then those into sticks. As thin as possible, please.
Step5Now test your oil by dunking one little jica-stick into the oil--if the oil bubbles around it instantly, it's ready. If it doesn't, it's not.
Step6Put one batch of jicama into the oil--one regular jicama is about three batches, so you do the math.
Step7While they're frying to a golden brown, prepare a plate with a few paper towels, but keep a watchful eye on your fake fries. You'll see them turn golden, but it takes only go seconds for them to go from brown to black, so remove them and toss onto your paper towel the moment you see them crispy and golden.
Step8Blot a bit of the oil and then shake on: garlic salt, a little kosher salt, black pepper, paprika and a touch of cayenne pepper. Repeat this seasoning process with each batch.
Step9You can certainly dip them in ketchup, but they're almost better with just their spicy seasoning.
Step10Serve next to a bunless burger and trick, trick, trick your mind into thinking you're living a normal, culinary life!

Started 5/23/03
"YES, YOU CAN!"
Old 09-18-2008, 11:04 AM   #97
tinatina
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tinatina
Stats: 223/187/130 5ft3.5in
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieCat0817 View Post

Not a day goes by where I don't dream of a white and red-latticed container, with a tumble of crispy, skin-on fries spilling from the top, with a thin, wooden fork, speared into one of the greasy, salty potatoes. I dream big. So while nothing in the world can be a substitute for that perfect treat, this is all I've been able to muster. The seasonings sort of trick your mouth into telling your brain "this is a french fry" but you'll know, even then, that it's not the real thing. But if you can divorce yourself from the comparison, these little frizzled, fried delights are quite yummy.

Buy a jicama. A WHATama? A jicama. It's a strange looking vegetable that appears to be a cross between a coconut and a horseradish root. But it's the size of about a honeydew melon.
Step2After going to four stores to find said jicama, and cursing my name, cut the top and bottom off. But before you prepare your jicama, pour a ton of vegetable oil into a high-sided frying pan and turn the heat on high.
Step3While it heats, gouge the top of your jicama with a peeler and grab the peel. You should be able to simply pull the peel down. If not, peel it like a big, round carrot. I'm not gonna lie--this part is a pain in the ass.
Step4Now cut your lovely, peeled and pale orb into discs, and then those into sticks. As thin as possible, please.
Step5Now test your oil by dunking one little jica-stick into the oil--if the oil bubbles around it instantly, it's ready. If it doesn't, it's not.
Step6Put one batch of jicama into the oil--one regular jicama is about three batches, so you do the math.
Step7While they're frying to a golden brown, prepare a plate with a few paper towels, but keep a watchful eye on your fake fries. You'll see them turn golden, but it takes only go seconds for them to go from brown to black, so remove them and toss onto your paper towel the moment you see them crispy and golden.
Step8Blot a bit of the oil and then shake on: garlic salt, a little kosher salt, black pepper, paprika and a touch of cayenne pepper. Repeat this seasoning process with each batch.
Step9You can certainly dip them in ketchup, but they're almost better with just their spicy seasoning.
Step10Serve next to a bunless burger and trick, trick, trick your mind into thinking you're living a normal, culinary life!
have you tried these?
Old 09-18-2008, 11:32 AM   #98
KOO
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: KOO
Stats: Starting 183(2/06)now below....
WOE: Hcg 9/12/12...142.5/134/130
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinatina View Post
have you tried these?
I did and was quite disappointed. It took me forever to find Jicama and when I did I tried eating them raw, microwaved and flavored like a cinnamon apple would be and cooking them fried like you are asking about.
They were all disappointing to me and dd, 14.

Wanting to add that we have found the best alternative to french fries are the fresh greenbeans baked crisp in the oven.

Linda/Marie/Dawn/Karen

~Karen~

Last edited by KOO; 09-18-2008 at 11:34 AM..
KOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:42 AM   #99
Laura in Arizona
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Laura in Arizona
WOE: Paleo/Protein Power
Start Date: June 6 2008
Growing up in California we had jicama often, usually raw in salads. The one thing to know about these guys is that when they are fresh they are awesome. Full of moisture with a sweet crispness to them and a very mild flavor. When they have been sitting around for too long, they start drying out. They lose a lot of the sweetness and are not as crisp. If they are really old they have lost so much moisture they get fibrous and not worth eating. If you get one and it does not taste good, don't necessarily write off the vegetable until you've tried another couple.

34 pounds gone, 28.5 to go
Laura in Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:43 AM   #100
AllieCat0817
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
have you tried these?
Naw not yet. Never had jicama

Started 5/23/03
"YES, YOU CAN!"
Old 09-18-2008, 11:44 AM   #101
AllieCat0817
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOO View Post
I did and was quite disappointed. It took me forever to find Jicama and when I did I tried eating them raw, microwaved and flavored like a cinnamon apple would be and cooking them fried like you are asking about.

Wanting to add that we have found the best alternative to french fries are the fresh greenbeans baked crisp in the oven.
OOH thanks will try that! lol

Started 5/23/03
"YES, YOU CAN!"
Old 09-18-2008, 11:47 AM   #102
hummingbird11
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Gallery: hummingbird11
Stats: 2008: 175/sz 12-14 >>> 2010: 145/sz 8-10 (5'8")
WOE: BFL (Oct/Nov/Dec)
Start Date: March 2008 (LC) >>> Oct 2010 (BFL)
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks!

PS I your avi!

Quote:

EXERCISE
M/R = yoga or pilates or callanetics
W/F = UB strength training (no LB)
T/Sat = cardio (elliptical or treadmill)
Sun = outdoor farm chores!!!!!
+ daily back/body stretches
hummingbird11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:56 PM   #103
SugarPop
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SugarPop
Stats: 225/143.0/125 (5'2")
WOE: Atkins/ LowCarb
Well, I finally found the 4C drink sticks. The kind I got says: 4C Totally Light 2Go - Just Apple.....I think I got the right kind.

Still can't find the chayotes though....Been to 3 stores - They say I might find them at a Latino market about 10 miles away.......~sigh~

B

"A ship in a harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for"

Goal 1) 175 ~ Goal met 9/15/09
Goal 2) 163 - Overweight NOT Obese ~ Goal met 12/9/09
Goal 3) 150 ~ Goal met 3/25/10
Goal 4) 133 - No longer Overweight
Goal 5) 125 - Long Term Goal
SugarPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:32 PM   #104
MrsJackSprat
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MrsJackSprat
Stats: Next mini goal-325!
WOE: Atkins '72.
Start Date: Atkins, 2001/Atkins '72, 2-2-05
Recipe Courtesy of Ming Tsai Show: East Meets West With Ming Tsai Episode: Ming and His Blue Ginger Sous Chefs (Budi; Bear & Amy)

CHAYOTE SLAW
1 lemon, juiced
2 limes, juiced
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/4 cup grapeseed oil (or sunflower)
3 peeled chayote, julienned
1 tablespoon chopped chives
Salt and black pepper to taste

In a mixing bowl, whisk together the juices and mustard. Whisk in oil and season. Toss with chayote and chives. Season with salt and pepper.. This should be done 10 minutes prior to serving.
MrsJackSprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:37 PM   #105
MrsJackSprat
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MrsJackSprat
Stats: Next mini goal-325!
WOE: Atkins '72.
Start Date: Atkins, 2001/Atkins '72, 2-2-05
Cream of Chayote Soup Source: Casual Cuisines of the World - Cantina

RECIPE INGREDIENTS

1 large slice bacon or 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 yellow onion, diced
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
5 cups chicken stock, vegetable stock or water
2 bay leaves
1 small boiling potato, peeled and sliced
4 chayotes, peeled, seeded and sliced
1 cup heavy cream or half and half
2 limes, thinly sliced

DIRECTIONS
In a large soup pot over low heat, fry the bacon until almost all the fat is rendered, or melt the butter. Raise the heat to medium, add the onion, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the stock or water, bay leaves and potato and simmer until the potato slices are soft, about 20 minutes.

When the potato slices are soft, remove and discard the bay leaves and bacon. Add the chayotes and bring to a boil. Return the heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, until the chayotes are soft, about 15 minutes.

Remove from the heat and let cool slightly. Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender until smooth. As each batch is pureed, pour the puree through a sieve placed over a bowl, pressing with the back of a spoon to extract all the juices. Pour the puree back into the pot, add the cream or half-and-half and bring just to a boil. Taste and adjust the seasonings.

Remove from the heat and ladle into warmed bowls. Slip a few lime slices into each bowl and serve hot.

Recipe reprinted by permission of Weldon Owen. All rights reserved.
Date Added: 01/01/2008
MrsJackSprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:53 PM   #106
realityjunkee
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: realityjunkee
Stats: 326/193.1/150
WOE: Atkins--you betcha!
Start Date: March 2007
Quote:
Naw not yet. Never had jicama
I'm telling you, they are fabulous as french fries. I loved them. However, a little too carb dense for me as I'm still losing. For you in maintenance--go for it!
Old 09-19-2008, 11:03 AM   #107
DEEDLYNN
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarPop View Post
Well, I finally found the 4C drink sticks. The kind I got says: 4C Totally Light 2Go - Just Apple.....I think I got the right kind.

Still can't find the chayotes though....Been to 3 stores - They say I might find them at a Latino market about 10 miles away.......~sigh~

B

Hey hey hey Sugar Pop...you need to find them. I made a faux apple crisp with them the other day that was to die for.

Have a good one. Miss ya.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:03 PM   #108
Sunny7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sunny7
Could you post the recipe for the faux apple crisp.

thanks
Sunny7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 02:06 PM   #109
DEEDLYNN
Major LCF Poster!

I actually just guessed on the "recipe" for the faux apple crisp, by reviewing some other recipes, including LindaSues "faux fried apples".

Here's what I did.

3 chayote squash--microwaved until soft.

Then put them in a pan with 1/3 c. of Davinci SF Carmel syrup and a little Davinci SF Pancake syrup. 1 T of butter. cinnamon to taste. Then about 1/2 t-1T of maple extract. After it had combined and cooked, I sprinkled a little guar gum (like 1/8-1/4 t) around it and stirred it around to thicken it.

I put that into a round glass baking dish.

The "crisp" was made by taking 1/4-1/2 c. of pecan meal (or almond), 1/4 c. of grandular splenda, 2 T of butter (melted) and 1/4 t of maple extract (or I also used Vanilla Nut Butter extract). (I added a few drops of carmel davinci until it became the right consistency and not to dry) Combined till crumbly and sprinkle on top of the squash mixture.

I baked at 350 for approx 15-20 minutes until the "crisp" starting browning.

This was WONDERFUL. I'm gonna use raspberry or peach SF davinci the next time to see if I can create a rapsberry or peach crisp.

Good Luck.
Dee
Old 09-19-2008, 06:46 PM   #110
TaDa!
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
I made Chayote tonight and I liked it! Stir fried and steamd in butter with garlic powder, salt and chopped green onion. It has the texture of a wter chestnut and a flavor between a apple and a zucchini .. yummy, but not potato-like. My family thought it was ok, but not great ... me, I'm a vegetable freak and just love finding new veggies ..

Pauline

Stats: 47 Years Old & 5'3" tall
Weight: 236.5 (43 bmi) / 132.5 / 128-133 (size 4/6 .. 23 bmi)

*Weekly Weigh-In 7/10/12

My Journal
Year One Weightloss and Chart
My Weightloss Story
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:41 PM   #111
NancyH58
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NancyH58
Quote:
I still want some FRIED, with KETCHUP. as long as it doesn't taste like that funky one I had the other day.
I was wondering, allie, do you have a deep frier? If what you crave are deep fried chips, pretty much *anything* tastes like french fries if it is deep fried and covered in salt .

It might be that the key to your foodie dreams is buying a deep frier and seeing which low carb veggies you like best in it. Some people even deep fry herbs. I'm sure it's good too .
NancyH58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:22 PM   #112
Debrat3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Debrat3
Stats: 257/235/goal 130 5'3"
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: Oct. 12,2011/restart Oct.1,2012
Quote:

I 've made this before and they were quite tastey. BrookeJ was the one I got it from. I don't see her around any more,but she liked them too. Try em you will probably like them. I used low carb ketchup and it was a nice treat.

weight 257/235/130
Debrat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:35 PM   #113
Dixie Barkley
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dixie Barkley
Subscribe
Dixie Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:51 PM   #114
jlatislaw
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
Quote:
Koo: Try them as waldorf salad - hard to tell from apples!

Last edited by jlatislaw; 09-22-2008 at 07:53 PM..
jlatislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:52 PM   #115
ljguitar
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Hi guys...
We've really avoided making ''substitutes'' since eating low carb. We make mashed and whipped cauliflower, but don't call it faux-tatos because it's not potatoes.

We have avoided trying to make things that resemble things from the non-low carb world and just make good food...however, the texture of the Chayote is just too tempting, and my wife peeled and sliced two of them, and built a ''stew'' of Crystal Lite Apple Cider (Walmart's house brand zero carb stuff) and added cinnamon, clove and nutmeg to taste (smell), and then added the chayote and simmered it for a couple hours.

I know we could use this as apple pie filling, or baked apple crisp and not tell folks it is Chayote and they'd believe they are eating apples.

The ability to soak up the flavors makes me believe that perhaps these little wonder-squash could imitate scalloped potatoes as easily as they do apples...got to get some more now.
[/COLOR]

…The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese…
ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:04 AM   #116
DEEDLYNN
Major LCF Poster!

I made a raspberry crisp the other day with chayotes. Next is a cherry crisp, blueberry crisp, peach crisp and then a pumpkin pie type crisp. Only difference is which Davinci syrup that I substitute. The possibilities are endless with this little squash. I love it.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:44 AM   #117
tinatina
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tinatina
Stats: 223/187/130 5ft3.5in
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEDLYNN View Post
I made a raspberry crisp the other day with chayotes. Next is a cherry crisp, blueberry crisp, peach crisp and then a pumpkin pie type crisp. Only difference is which Davinci syrup that I substitute. The possibilities are endless with this little squash. I love it.
recipe?
Old 09-23-2008, 02:41 PM   #118
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/157/145
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
I made Barbo's Potato Pancakes with Chayotes..nommie.. I wonder how chayotes would be in potato salad..

CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:10 PM   #119
DEEDLYNN
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
recipe?

This is truly just a "in my head" recipe. But I don't think you could make it fail, even if you tried.

Here's what I did for the raspberry.

3 chayote squash--peeled and diced
1/3-1/2 cup of SF Davinci SF syrup
2 T of butter
1 T of lemon juice
1 t of vanilla extract (or your choice of flavor)
1/8 t of guar gum

I microwaved the squash in a ZIPLOC microwave bag for about 10 minutes.
Melted the butter in a skillet. Then add everything but the guar gum. Put the steamed squash in the mixture and stir around.

Then sprinkle the guar gum around the pan. Be sure to sprinkle sparingly to avoid clumps. Let it cook for a few minutes until it thickens up.

Spray a 8 x 8 or deep dish pie pan with PAM.

CRUMB TOPPING

1/3 to 1/2 cup of almond meal (or any nut meal would probably work)
1/3 to 1/2 cup of grandular splenda
2 T of melted butter
1/2 t to 1 t of extra flavoring--I used vanilla in this one, but when I make the "apple version" I use maple.

Mix together until it forms a "crumble".

Sprinkle all around the squash mixture.

Bake at 325 for 20 minutes.

I have never run it through to figure the nutritonal value of this.

This is a true treat and actually I have incorporated it into a staple at my house.

I'm planning on attempting to use coconut oil instead of butter to see what happens.

I like cinnamon in the "apple" version, but was not sure about cinnamon and raspberry. I will use it in the peach though.

The possibilities are endless for this...and there are so many ways to make it substituting ingredients....such as flax meal for almond meal, etc. Different flavored syrups, etc.

Best thing is...that even non-low carbers love it. I've taken it out to gatherings twice and always come home with an empty plate. (Non-carbers love to warm it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.).

Easy, Easy, Easy and seems to always turn out good.

Good Luck.
Dee

P.S. I like guar gum as the thickening agent...easy to use and cheap. I've never tried Xanthum Gum, but from what I've read, seems like they can be used interchangeably. It does make a huge difference in "thickening" the fruit up and I think some thickening agent is required to make this recipe work.

Last edited by DEEDLYNN; 09-23-2008 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: Addition
Old 09-23-2008, 05:00 PM   #120
nikkic
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikkic
Stats: 289/251/170
WOE: lc/mod carb
Start Date: restarted Jan. 2016
I found two recipes that are originally from a cookbook from Baton Rouge Junior League that look interesting. One uses acorn squash, but I'd sub some delicata for that (if I can ever find it again) or a lower carb squash.

Gratin of Chayote and Acorn Squash

8 servings

1 chayote, peeled, chopped
1 large acorn squash
5 oz. heavy cream
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tbs. dried red chili, finely crushed
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp garlic salt
3 eggs
1/4 jalepeno, seeded and chopped
4 green onion tops, minced
1/8 red bell pepper, chopped

1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9x12 pan.
2. Boil squash for 20 min. or until almost tender. The original recipe says boil them whole, but I would 1/2 the acorn squash and cook in the microwave.
3. Peel, 1/2, seed, and coarsely chop the squash.
4. One at a time, whisk the cream, garlic, chiles, cayenne, nutmeg and garlic salt into eggs.
5. Layer baking dish with 1/2 the acorn squash, top with chayote, then add remaining acorn squash.
6. Scatter jalapeno, onions and bell pepper between each layer.
7. Pour seasoned egg mixture over squash and bake for approximately 15 minutes, until custard sets.

Shrimp Stuffed Mirlitons (Chayote)

Serves 8

4 large chayotes
1 lg onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup celery
3 tbs butter
3/4 lb cooked shrimp, cleaned
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese, divided
1/4 cup buttered bread crumbs (I'd use some pork rinds, crushed or more cheese)
salt and pepper

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Parboil chayote until almost tender.
3. Cut in half and scoop out the meat; mash and set aside, reserving the shells.
4. Saute onion and garlic in the butter until translucent; add celery and cook until tender.
5. Add mashed chayote, shrimp, 1/2 of the cheese and salt and pepper to the vegetables.
6. Fill the reserved shells, cover with remaining cheese and bread crumbs.
7. Bake until crumbs have browned, approximately 30 minutes.
nikkic is offline   Reply With Quote